• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MagnusDux

Gand Duke of Lisbon
67 Badges
Feb 27, 2015
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
When i heard that the next Immersion Pack would be focused on the Iberian Peninsula i was super excited however when the new map was released i was somewhat disappointed, while Castille and Aragon get a bunch of new provinces (and that's awesome) Portugal only gets one single province, Aveiro, that is cool but there are certainly more important provinces and map changes that could be made, and since this might be the last chance to make changes to Portugal for a long time i'll make a few suggestions

Location of Lisbon:

The location of Portugal's capital city Lisbon in the map has always been inaccurate and the problem persists in the next patch:

5CRu9pG.png

It looks as if the city is on the Atlantic coast while it actually should be on the opposite side, in the delta of the Tagus River.

Areas:

While Portugal certainly isn't large enough to have 10 areas it would merit the addition of a new area, specially considering an inconsistency with the naming of the southern area, Alentejo, witch literally means beyond the Tagus and Lisbon is precisely on the upper side of the river.

Antigas_Provincias_Portugal.png

This is a map of the administrative subdivisions of the kingdom in place form the middle-ages until 1836, as we can see not only Lisbon but the lands around Santarém and Setúbal were also not considered part of Alentejo. I'd say it makes sense to add a new area in the centre of the country with 2 new provinces.

Estremadura Area:

4OyBnmO.png

The yellow province is Lisbon;
Blue is Ribajeto, with capital Santarém, and producing Grain;
Purple is Setúbal, with capital Setúbal, and producing Naval Supplies or Salt.

Ribatejo

1836 Ribatejo Province:

Provincia_Ribatejo.png

Modern District of Santarém:

250px-LocalDistritoSantarem.svg.png

Santarém was a very important city, it was the where most of the Cortes-Gerais (legislative assemblies) gathered (16 times) after Lisbon (40 times), it was also from the Royal Palace of Santarém where many of the expeditions to explore Africa and conquer North Africa where organized.

Setúbal

1836 Setúbal:

MmuNcbV.png

Modern District of Setúbal:

250px-LocalDistritoSetubal.svg.png

Setúbal was also a very important city as it was the summer residence of much of the royalty and nobility. And with the discoveries it developed a large naval industry on top of the already important salt production and was the departure point of expeditions like the one to conquer Ksar Sghir.

In my suggestion for the province i joined Setúbal proper with Alcácer do Sal (the southern part) for several reasons, the modern district of Setúbal includes both cities, they both produce salt and have other economical similarities like being coastal (unlike Beja which is mostly interior and agricultural) and because Setúbal alone would be too small.

Set%C3%BAbal_em_1547.png

Flee to Brazil:

In yesterday's dev diary it was revealed that there will be a new decision to change tag to Brazil and get Portugal as a junior partner, while this is awesome and historically accurate Portugal should retain control of all territories in Africa and Asia as well, since that's what happened historically.

Portalegre:

As a final request to the dev gods if they're feeling generous :rolleyes: i would say the province of Portalegre (orange color) would be a great addition to the map, as it was one of the largest cities in the interior, had one of the highest revenues for the crown and was one of the main hubs of textile trade and production, consequently adding Portalegre as a province would also make it into the only Portuguese province in the game producing cloth. And it would be part of the Alentejo Area.

AS5VdSJ.png

I don't know if it's to late to make any changes or if my suggestions are good and reasonable but i thought i'd give it a try anyway. I also didn't post this in the suggestions forum because i also wanted feedback from other players but feel free to move this post mods.

Upvote 0
This is great, it's just sad you get generic missions when you become Brazil...

I don't like it that the tag changes to Brazil. Fleeing to South America should instead form The United Kingdom of Portugal and Brazil (and The Algarves), with capital in Rio. Portugal has never lost its grip from Brazil until its independence in 1822, and certainly has never been its junior partner, at least not in political or official terms. It's the same european family, just ruling from across the atlantic this time around.

EDIT: And I strongly support OP's idea of new provinces. I can't have enough of those, the more the better.

The idea of an United Kingdom of Two Nations With Capital in One is pretty much what a PU stands for in terms of game mechanics.

I do think it makes sense that you get a PU since that's what effectivelly happened, Brazil was elevated from a colony to a kingdom. The only thing i would change is that all other colonies (Angola, Moçambique, Portuguese India) remained atached to Portugal.

I don't like it that the tag changes to Brazil. Fleeing to South America should instead form The United Kingdom of Portugal and Brazil (and The Algarves), with capital in Rio. Portugal has never lost its grip from Brazil until its independence in 1822, and certainly has never been its junior partner, at least not in political or official terms. It's the same european family, just ruling from across the atlantic this time around.

EDIT: And I strongly support OP's idea of new provinces. I can't have enough of those, the more the better.

I strongly disagree with that. First because Brazil attained much more autonomy from the moment the Royal Family arrived in the country, including not being limited by the merchantilist practices imposed by Portugal and also achieving the status of Kingdom.

On top of that, after John VI from Portugal died, his heir, Emperor Pedro I inherited the Portuguese throne so Portugal fell into a Personal Union under Brazilian rule. For a brief period all 3 kindgdoms were ruled by one brazilian monarch. He proceeded to abdicate later but they were effectively in a PU, I see no reason for it not happening.

I think the way the new decision works is fair. Until the royal family returned, Portugal was almost by definition the junior partner in the United Kingdom since the ruling class was in Brazil, and the reason they returned was precisely due to unrest(= high liberty desire in Portugal) towards this state of affairs. Between the end of the Napoleonic wars and the Liberal revolution that forced the return of the king, Portugal was de facto ruled by a colonial governor nominated by the king, general Beresford. After that, Portugal wanted to go back to being the leader in the relation, Brazil disagreed, hence independence. Only this last part is hard to simulate in-game, since it would require being able to change which is the primary crown in a PU.

And on the topic of map changes, more suggestions can be found in this thread.

Only this last part is hard to simulate in-game, since it would require being able to change which is the primary crown in a PU.
Which would be a historical addition. Let's keep in mind it's Scotland who PUed England, not the opposite. The Scottish rulers just decided that becoming kings of England and Scotland was a lot better than kings of Scotland and England and moved to London.

VUmzq32.gif
to the Suggestions subforum.

England and Scotland get a UK of Great Britain tag, so why can't we have the same por Portugal and Brazil?
It's a similar case, so either everyone gets PUs or everyone gets new tags.
We can't have both because I don't like inconsistencies.