• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
yep!!! The man is back! :)

This is just about the best surprise all day. welcome back!

Glad you are back! I really missed your AAR

Nice to see the Luftwaffe perform so well. Any idea on what the British air losses were?

yep!!! The man is back! :)
This is just about the best surprise all day. welcome back!
Glad you are back! I really missed your AAR
Thanks for the greetings !
I had to pay my dues to RL and sorry if some topical matters kept me AFK much longer as planned...
Anyhow, it's time to carry on !!!

Nice to see the Luftwaffe perform so well. Any idea on what the British air losses were?
Actually, both 11. and 12. Group (Fighter Command) have both been nearly annihilated. Too bad the game won't allow us to destroy aircrafts on the ground otherwise, bombers and CAGs would have been massively destroyed too.
With all the payloads the Luftwaffe dropped on them, british airbases and naval installations currently look like car parks : I would just have to send the Fallschirmjäger to paint the white strips... :D
But it's an historical AAR... for now.

Actually, both 11. and 12. Group (Fighter Command) have both been nearly annihilated. Too bad the game won't allow us to destroy aircrafts on the ground otherwise, bombers and CAGs would have been massively destroyed too.
With all the payloads the Luftwaffe dropped on them, british airbases and naval installations currently look like car parks : I would just have to send the Fallschirmjäger to paint the white strips... :D
But it's an historical AAR... for now.

Which is pretty much what would have happened if Hitler hadn't decided bombing London would work better. Too bad your own losses are also historically high.

Which is pretty much what would have happened if Hitler hadn't decided bombing London would work better. Too bad your own losses are also historically high.
Which was pretty much what I intended to do but, as you pointed it out, the casualties are quite terrible (728 InGame ; 777 IRL till end August) and I must be cautious with my IC (and MP !!!) if I want to be on schedule for Marita... and Barbie !

The Walking Dead? :p

Chapter 30 : 'New strategy'

Reichsministerium für Bewaffnung und Munition, Berlin - 1940, September the 6th - 0930
Reichsminister Fritz Todt meets GeneralOberst Fromm, Chief of the ErsatzHeer.

- "General Fromm ! What a pleasure to see you. And quite a surprise too...
- Sorry for disturbing you, Herr Reichsminister, I know you're really busy.
- Ach was ! I assume you wouldn't have come if it wasn't important. So, what's your concern, Herr General ?
- My concernS, Herr Reichsminister. I would be lucky if I only had one.
As you may know, the campaign against England doesn't look good. Despite the success of the Luftwaffe, at a murderous cost I have to point out, I don't think that the invasion of the british isles will ever take place. Mostly due to naval and logistical concerns.
Anyhow, rumors and some clues indicate that the Führer is now looking East. It won't be long before we get involved in a major confrontation with the Soviet Union if you want my opinion...
- It would make sense, General. Right now, England is expecting either the USSR or the USA to join her side. If we can beat the Bolcheviks, there will be no remaining potential allies on the continent.
- First, we have to beat them, Herr Reichsminister !
And to achieve this, we're not only going to need new divisions, but also new weapons and equipment to replace the ones we've got right now and which are slowly getting obsolete. Furthermore, for such a major campaign, we also need huuuge stockpiles of supply.
- And you want to know if our industry is up to the task, right ?
General Fromm, I won't lie to you. Right now, we don't have the industrial capability to fulfill all the needs of the military. At least, not in the same time.
- I really don't understand why not. After the Fall of France, the Army seized huge quantity of french equipment and we're going to use them to supply our new motorized and armoured formations. I assumed a large part of the dutch, belgian and french industries are now working for us, aren't they ?

oN1IfvF.jpg

Benefits of the western campaign
- You're right, General, but up to a certain extend only.
Some people, here in Berlin, expected to increase our industrial capabilities in a range of 50 to 80%. That was the theory.
The practice is that it will barely reach 20% (319 to 374 IC NotA). The annexation of some territories brought us some benefits, that is correct, but in most places of the occupied countries, the "collaboration" remains a waking dream.
- That bad ?
- Pretty much, General. They're still some good news. Our electricity production increased by 38% ; the steel production by 70% !!!
The production of rare materials also increased by nearly 40% but unfortunatly, it won't still be enough to cover all our needs. Same goes for crude oil. We heavily rely on our imports and despite this, it is not enough.
- Herr Reichsminister, it's getting too complicated. What does it mean ?
- Specifically, General, it means that our industry is running as high as possible but it won't last forever. It also means that we can fulfill the needs of the military but it will take time... roughly a year, probably a little bit more.
- If we have 8 months before the next "event", we could consider ourself to be lucky..."

Reichskanzlei, Berlin - 1940, September the 17th - 1100
The Führer meets Reichsmarschall Göring, CinC Luftwaffe, and GeneralFeldMarschall von Rundstedt, CO HeeresGruppe A.

- "Meine Herren, it's now time to decide if we start Unternehmen 'Seelöwe' ; according to our meteorologists, the most farourable period of time regarding the sea and wind conditions on and over the Channel will be from 19 to 26 September. Past this date, there will be alternate periods of calm and hazardous conditions. By the end of October, the force 8 winds expected in the Channel area will prohibit any non-seagoing craft from risking a crossing.
Göring, the point of view of the Luftwaffe ?
- Mein Führer, it's true that the Luftwaffe sustained heavy casualties but about one-third of them have been replaced. We have air control over the Channel and all airfields in southern England are still not operational.
Of course, we would need more time to fully recover but the Luftwaffe is able to conduct air support operations for the landing and the invasion.
- Alles schön und gut... But what about the battleship squadron still in Plymouth ? What if the Royal Navy suddenly irrupts in the Channel during the landing operations or even after ? Are you able to sunk the british ships before they destroy our invasion force or disrupt our supply lines ?
- ...................... Well, mein Führer, I can't garantee that for sure. Winning the control of the skies is just a prime-requisite but not the sole condition for success.
- That's exactly what GroßAdmiral Raeder told me a few days ago. He stated that we don't possess the control of the sea nor are we in position to gain it in a very near future. GroßAdmiral Raeder is far more in favor of operations against Malta or the Suez Canal to support our italian friends and to cut off british supply lines.
GeneralFeldMarschall von Rundstedt... As Commanding Officer of the invasion force, what do you think ?
- Mein Führer, the key of all this operation is... the logistic.
According to our last estimation and intelligence reports, the use of captured british ports, assuming all dockside equipment are going to be successfully demolished by the Brits, won't allow us to receive more than 60% of our supply needs. And THIS is a very optimistic picture, based on the for me unrealistic assumption of little or no interference from the Royal Navy.
There are still a lot of british troops in England, mein Führer, and heavy fighting are expected. If only after a few days, the Royal Navy is able to reach the Channel, it will cut off supplies and further reinforcements. Isolated and facing regular troops with armour and artillery, our invasion force will be forced to surrender...
- It's also my opinion. Unternehmen 'Seelöwe' is postponed until further notice.
Meine Herren, Sir dürfen gehen !"

ErsatzsArmee Hauptquartier, Leipzig - 1940, September the 20th - 0930
Meeting between GeneralOberst Fromm, Befehlshaber der ErsatzsArmee and General von Oven, General Inspekteur der ErsatzsInfanterie.

- "Na ? What's the situation in Holland, von Oven ?
- Nothing very serious, Herr GeneralOberst. A smal uprising.
The SD told us a few weeks ago we should expect something but our security forces have been surprized by the number of partisans involved. The local Feldgendarmerie has been completely overwhelmed in a couple of days.
- That bad ?

vyO3Cqw.jpg

Uprising in Holland
- Yeep. General Christiansen, BfH 'Nederland', was unable to send some of his troops over there so he asked General Glokke, Kommandeur Wehrkreis VI, for help.
- And ?
- General Glokke had only the Inf.-Rgt 59 from the former 19. ID available. But he also manage to requisition some panzer units of the nearby Paderborn Panzer School.
- Panzer-Lehrgänge Paderborn... Is this the place where we're testing our new heavy tanks ?
- Genau die, Herr GeneralOberst. They're merely prototypes but Hell !!! Against partisans, these VK 36.01 are more than enough.
Actually, the bad surprise came from the air. The partisans got unexpected air support.
- ???

mYO502B.jpg

Resurgence of the Royal Navy
- The Royal Navy is not dead, Herr GeneralOberst. Coincidence or not, a british Task-Group, centered on the aircraft carrier 'Ark Royal', has been spotted in the North Sea and its aircrafts conducted some air-mud missions against our troops in Holland.
They didn't do much harm, however. Our fighters from Bremen cleared the skies real quick. Furthermore, General Geissler's X. Fliegerkorps was currently on R&R in Wilhelmshaven. His aircrafts are now pounding the dutch positions with a deadly regularity ; a good exercise before their redeployment in Sicily...
- Well... It seems we've got the situation under control, mein lieber von Oven.
However, It also proves that we are strechted quite thin in this area. We should set up a decent reaction force in a near future...
- We're working on it, Herr GeneralOberst : a reaction force called "Valkyrie units". 4 IDs are planned at the moment but it will take some time to set them up."

AussenMinisterium (State Department), Berlin - 1940, October the 28th - 1400
Meeting between Foreign Minister von Ribbentropp and Admiral Canaris, Abwehr Chef (Head of Intelligence).

- "Guten Tag, Herr Reichsminister. Na, how was your trip in Spain and France ?
- Quoting the Führer, "I would rather let me draw the teeth before returning to meet with Franco". Personnaly, I would formulate it as "very much disappointing", to say the least...
I grant you this journey was merely a probe to compare the relative cost of closer relationships with Spain and Vichy France but still... I was hoping for a bit more results.
We first met General Franco at Hendaye on October the 23rd. And this bastard was late !!! He let the Führer waiting ; could you imagine that ?!!
- I guess the spanish trains cannot be compared to the Reichsbahn.
- Could you please stop making jokes, Admiral ! It was deliberate.
I'm so angry ; after all what we've done for him in the past. Have you any idea what General Franco asked for in return of his participation to the war ?
- Marocco, I guess. This french colonial territory is like a dorn in his foot.
- Not only Marocco. He also wanted Oran, french Guinea and, on the top of it, Gibraltar ! Furthermore, he mentionned that joining the Axis would jeopardize his relationships with Canada, his primary partner for crop, so he asked if the Reich was willing to deliver 100.000 tons of crop.
- Mhmmm... Nice move from Franco...
- I beg your pardon, Admiral ?
- Herr Reichsminister : it is obvious that Spain didn't want to join our side... at least now. Because it would have been too dangerous for Franco to directly refuse, after all our troops are still in France for the most part, it was much better to put very hard conditions on the table ; conditions we would obviously not be able to fulfill...
And what about France ?

vrLSS9B.jpg

Meetings at Hendaye and Montoire-sur-le -Loir
- We've met Marshal Pétain and Prime Minister Laval in Montoire the day after. But here again, we obtained nothing. The Führer might be satisfied with the result, however I consider this meeting as the greatest defeat of German policy with respect to France. With a little bit concessions of our side, we would now have a powerful ally. The ressentment against the Brits is very strong in France after the "incidents" of Mers-El-Kebir and Dakar in the last months. Even Prime Minister Laval is on our side ; I mean, really !
- And Marshal Pétain ?
- Hard to tell. He's a soldier and he expected France to be treated with honor. He just said that "a collaboration was envisioned between our two countries"… and that he "accepted it in principle". By using the passive form, it's obvious that he wants to take his distances.
He didn't even mention the treason of the local authorities in french Somalia. After the incidents of Oran and Alexandria, I was expecting some kind of reaction.

p49xKER.jpg

First french defection
- Well, at least, the two major countries in western Europe remain friendly neutral. We might need that in a very near future, Herr Reichsminister.
- What happened ?
- I've just been informed that Italy launched Operation "Emergenza G" this morning. Their troops crossed the Albanian-Greek border.

vRGiNRg.jpg

War in the Balkans
- What ?!! Without consulting us first ? El Duce has lost his mind or what ?
- He believes he's the new Cesar and wants to recreate the Empire of Rom. The "funny" part of this is, though closer to the United Kingdom within the last months, General Metaxas always wanted to keep Greece out of the conflict. Furthermore, he had always been an admirer of Italy and had built strong economic ties with us...
- And now everything is ruined because of this fool of Mussolini ! I just hope the OKW has some plans in its drawers ; I wouldn't be suprized if we have to intervene over there...
Talking about the Italians, any news from North Africa, Admiral ?

QJDdQiS.jpg

North african stalemate... for now
- So far, there have been no change ; our friends and allies are still blocked at El Alamein. According to our ambassador in Rom, they're gathering troops and supply for a major offensive next month."

Luftwaffen Testing Ground, Rechlin - 1940, October the 29th - 1530
GeneralFeldMarschall Milch, Luftwaffen Inspector General, meets Heinrich Focke, Chairman of Focke-Achgelis & Co GmbH.

- "A wonderful machine indeed, Herr Focke. You're about to revolutionize the use of aircrafts !
- Danke sehr, Herr FeldMarschall. But without your help, nothing could have ever been possible.
- After seeing your Fw61 prototype in 1938, I was really impressed and it was my duty as State Secretary of the Reichsluftfahrtministerium to help you to carry on your research. Today, I'm glad to see I was right !

XLXkeac.jpg

A new art of war...
- Actually, this Fa-223 V1 is only a first prototype, Herr FeldMarschall.
Flight tests revealed severe vibration and poor low speed controllability, as well as other lesser problems, which were to be expected in such an advanced aircraft. It will take some time before we could be able to start the production of the 5 different variants we've planned. Within the next two years, we should be able to have, besides the obvious training version, a cargo carrier version (up to 2,000 pounds payload), a search and rescue version (fitted with a steel winch cable), a reconnaissance version (with long-range drop tank) and an ASW version (with depth charges) which could be deployed on our warships.
- As I said, Herr Focke... a real revolution !"

Marinestützpunkt, Wilhelmshaven - 1940, November the 3rd - 1800
Generaladmiral Carls, OB Marinegruppenkommando Nord, meets Konteradmiral Otto Klüber, his Chief of Staff.

- "Klüber, we have to do something. The resurgence of the Royal Navy in the Danish Straits is about to become a major threat to our communication lines with Norway. What's going on here ?
- Hard to tell, Admiral.
We know for sure that the british Task-Group, centered on the aircraft carrier 'Ark Royal', is making some incursions in this zone for over a month now.
We've ask the 5. Luftflotte in Norway to conduct some air raids against it but to no avail. The only air unit with enough firepower could have been the X. Fliegerkorps but it has just begun its redeployment to Sicily and Reichsmarschall Göring rejected all our requests.
- And while this fine gentleman is hunting in Karinhall, our convoys get slaughtered.

Yk15eAc.jpg

Sub hunting in the Danish Straits

- Not only our convoys, Admiral. The 5. U-Flottille, a training unit, has been almost completely whipped out 2 days ago. 6 boats !!!
- For sure, Vizeadmiral Dönitz won't be pleased.
- He's squealing like a pig ! And the Kriegsmarine is incompetent, and we are just sunday warriors, and, and, and... The worst is... he's right !
- Didn't you have a plan to hunt and destroy this british carrier ?
- I did, Admiral. I was planning a sortie with the Geschwader 'Deutschland' but our coastal defenses spotted some british light cruisers off the coasts of Friesland. I went suspicious to see such a small force so close to our coasts therefore I ordered some air recon'...
- And ?

ZB4rU0P.jpg

It's a trap !
- And... as I suspected, there was a huge british battleship squadron waiting for us. A well conceived trap, Admiral : a small carrier force to attract our surface raiders and a strong battleship force to destroy them. We got lucky... once again !
Since we didn't rise to the bait, the Brits just made a small demonstration off Kiel and then withdrew.
- Well... Since we can't do anything, the best is to wait for better days.
Keep our convoys in port until then. If there's nothing valuable to destroy, the Brits will go somewhere else. There is enough supply in Norway for a month or two.
- Zu Befehl, Admiral."

ReichsFührung der SS, Berlin - 1940, November, the 20th - 1400
Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler meets Brigadeführer Gottlob Berger, Chef des SS-Hauptamtes.

- "Na, Berger ? What's going on with MY new germanic division ? The Führer is delighted by this idea and the Propaganda ministerium too.
- Same old issues, Herr Reichsführer, and new ones on the top of that.
- New ones ? EXPLAIN yourself !!!
- Herr Reichsführer, the number of "germanic" volunteers is far behind the expectations. Not even 1200 of the 5000 expected. We have to fill the gaps with german soldiers and, as you know as much as I do, the drawers are almost empty. This, added to the shortage of available equipment, makes my task quite difficult.
- I'll take care of that. Go on !

VFB7lzJ.jpg

SS-Division 'Wiking' setting up
- The main frame of the division will be the SS-regiment "Germania", from SS-Division "Das Reich". Gruppenführer Hausser was not pleased, obviously, to exchange one of his most experienced units against the "green horns" of the newly formed SS-regiment 11...
Anyhow, I managed to find the men to set up the regiments "Westland" and "Nordland", as well as the divisional units. If you can provide us the required equipement, the division will be combat-ready next Spring, Herr Reichsführer. Gruppenführer Steiner has been chosen to command the division.
Its name will still be "Germania" ?
- It might change : the Führer wish to find a more "north mythos" oriented name. May be "Wiking"...

OKW Hauptquartier Wünsdorf - 1940, November the 25th - 1100
Meeting between Feldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel, Chief OKW, and General Alfred Jodl, Chief OKW General Staff.

- "You don't look good, mein lieber Jodl. You should try to get some sleep.
- Sorry, Herr Feldmarschall, but I didn't have time to do so in the last 4 weeks. Between the redeployment of our units in the East and the crisis in the Balkan region, there's no room left for R&R.
- Our italian friends are still in a bad situation down there ?
- It's getting better, Herr Feldmarschall. Thanks to their reinforcements, the Italians have been able to stop the greek offensive and they even managed to launch a counter-attack toward the coast.

aKGjdCn.jpg

Albanian Front - November 1940
As you can see, 2 greek divisions have been encircled SW of Tirana and they won't resist very long.
- So, basically, they're just back to their starting positions a month ago, aren't they ?
- Right, Herr Feldmarschall. Troops and supply keep coming in from Italy so I think the Greeks won't no longer be able to invade Albania. Their troops have now adopted a defensive stance in the mountains along the border. Eventually, our friends will succeed but it will be costly both in matter of time and men and only if the Brits don't come to the rescue...
- We cannot aford a british intervention in this region. We should get prepared to solve this problem by ourself. Is Unternehmen 'Marita' ready ?
- For the most part, Herr Feldmarschall. The 12. Armee and the 1. PanzerGruppe will start to redeploy in Roumania next month. A new unit, the 11. Armee, will be formed over there but will mainly act as support. That should be enough, provided the political situation doesn't change...
- You mean Yugoslavia ?
Don't be afraid, mein lieber Jodl. Sooner or later, people in Belgrad will understand where are their interests.
- In the Balkans, who knows what can happen, Herr Feldmarschall...
As a safety measure, I've ordered the 2. Armee to take positions not far from the german-yugoslavian border. You should talk to the Führer so we can get some hungarian support, may be bulgarian too. Just in case the yugoslavian don't "understand"...
- We really didn't need such a situation. To Hell with those italian allies !!!
By the way, what's the situation in Africa ?
- Still unchanged, Herr Feldmarschall. The Italians are about to launch a major offensive at El Alamein and...
- Don't BS me, Jodl ! They're telling the same fairy tale for over a month now. What's the status of our planned expeditionnary corps ?

3Agl8wa.jpg

DAK ready
- You mean the Afrika Korps, Herr Feldmarschall ?
Well, the units are just receiving, slowly, the special equipement for the desert. So I guess they will be ready within the next 2 months.
- Great. I'll clear that with the Führer and the Commando Supremo. We're going to rely on the italian navy to ship our troops over there. Not a funny perspective, if you understand me...
Who will be given the command of this Afrika Korps ?
- Feldmarschall von Brauchitsch will recommend General von Manstein. General Halder, on his side, would rather have General Rommel.
- And what's your opinion ?
- Von Manstein is highly capable but he's also such an arrogant bastard. On a remote location like Africa, I'm afraid he would be quite difficult to manage. I therefore would recommend Rommel too.
- It's also my opinion. General Rommel it is, then."

Hauptquartier BfH der U-Boote, Lorient - 1940, December the 3rd - 1500
Vizeadmiral Dönitz, Führer der U-Boote, meets Generaladmiral Saalwächter, CO MarineGruppenKommando West.

- "Guten Tag, Admiral. Are you getting bored in your HQ in Paris ?
- Not at all, mein lieber Dönitz. I'm on my way to Brest to welcome Hoffmann and his men.
- That's what I've heard. The Geschwader 'Scharnhorst-Gneisenau' has arrived in Brest last night. A bold move, Admiral !

l1TitoK.jpg

Naval engagement in the Channel
- We got lucky... again. Hoffmann bumped unexpected into a small british Squadron heading for Plymouth. The british heavy cruiser and her escort was no match for our two battlecruisers but the situation could have been worse if the Brits had made a sortie from Plymouth : according to our last reconnaissance, they have 3 battleships and a bunch of cruisers over there !!!
- Their port installations on the southern coast are still in a very bad shape, Admiral. May be that's the reason why they didn't attempt to do something...
- It won't last forever, mein lieber Dönitz. The Royal Navy is far from being beaten. We've already seen its resurgence last month with the incursion in the Danish Straits. It's just a matter of time before british warships will again become a serious threat in the Channel. The Luftwaffe has to do something. Quickly !!!
- Admiral Raeder already spoke to ReichsMarschall Göring about that : unfortunatly, since the cancellation of Unternehmen 'Seelöwe', the relationships between them aren't the best...
Besides, the Luftwaffe still has a hard time to replace the heavy losses sustained during the Battle of Britain and more and more units are redeploying east.
Thanks God, their cooperation is very active in the Atlantic : since August, the KG 40, operating from Bordeaux-Merignac, managed to sink 52 freighters and 19 escorts. From January onwards, there will be a rotation between the KG 40 and the FliegerFührer 'Atlantik' off the coasts of Spain. One month of operations, one month of R&R...
- Smart... I've heard your U-boats are doing great too.
- That's right, Admiral. Nothing to complain about it. Since I rebased the 2. and 7. U-Flottille in France, my men have added new feathers in their caps. As expected, shorter distance to their patrol zone reduced stress both on men and boats. And it paid off !

LWPzRVZ.jpg

Kill zones in the Atlantic
We rotate the boats and crews on a monthly basis and these new electric powered torpedo work wonders. I'd love to have all my U-flotilas rebased in France but it will have to wait a little bit : infrastrutures concerns...
- Casualties ?
- Under our estimations I have to say, Admiral. 42 boats (7 flotillas NotA) until today. The main concern right now is the increasing number of escorts protecting the convoys. We're learning but apparently the Allies are learning too...

JiZZpjQ.jpg

Naval techs and research - December 1940
I've ordered to start a new training program as well as new research on both equipments and doctrines. This "Battle of Atlantic" is not only a matter of men but it's also a technology race.
We've already figured out that our Type II U-boats are totally obsolete. Two-third of our casualties are boats of this type. We need to replace them ASAP. Unfortunatly, we have the same problem as the Luftwaffe... Production !
- Seeing your record, I guess the Allies, mainly the Brits, will have the same concern too : an average of 80 freighters and nearly 30 escorts sunk each month since August... Not bad... Not bad at all, mein lieber Dönitz !
- I don't know if these numbers will be sufficient to severe their supply lines and to force them to ask for peace but, at least, they will have to divert a huge part of their industrial production to replace their convoys losses, Admiral.- Anyhow, the Geschwader Scharnhorst-Gneisenau will be able to help you very soon ; my Staff is currently working on the details of Unternehmen 'Berlin'..."

Last edited:
a great comeback! loved the update

So you took the captured units. I find that the cost in supplies is prohibitively high.

a great comeback! loved the update
I'm glad you enjoy it.
Right now, the main activity is in the Atlantic. I like the way my (few !) U-boats are performing and this, added to the Luftwaffen support and the newly arrived BC in Brest, is a promise for more "kills". That should keep the Brits busy for the moment... I hope.
Just in case, I keep an eye on Africa and Greece to make sure the Italians won't do stupid things. Only 7 months to go before Barbarossa and I really don't need more problems than I already have with all the preparation and units reorganization.

So you took the captured units. I find that the cost in supplies is prohibitively high.
You're fully right. It's a scam. :eek:
However, the 8 TDs are quite useful for the Panzer-divisions newly created (11 to 20).
Furthermore, playing historical means that some of the next PzDs (22, 23 and 25) are going to use "Beutepanzer" for their tank regiments... at least at the beginning. My production queue is already a mess ; no need to add new stuff.
Other "Beutepanzer" units will be part of the german OoB later on (205 Pz.-Abt in France, 212. in Creta for instance).
On the top of that, I will then have to start Barbarossa with a very small amount of supply "in reserve", which is also quite historical.
And last but not least, it saves MP and believe me, right now, it is my main concern !

A great challenge is to come... YES !!!

Last edited:
yes! indeed! when will you stop playing historical?

yes! indeed! when will you stop playing historical?
It is my intend to be in Moscow by the end of 1941 and to reach the AA-Line, as well as Baku, only in Summer 1942 simply because of the logistical issues I'm expecting in the South.
The war production (creation of divisions, korps etc, etc...) will be kept historical as long as possible. General Fromm and Brigadeführer Berger will keep you informed... :)

On the other hand, IRL, there have been too many changes in the german OoB on the eastern front after June 22nd that it will be impossible to remain truly faithful beyond this date. I will just keep the main formations OoB : by Summer '42, there will be 4 Army Groups, 17 Armies (among them 4 foreign and 4 PanzerArmies) operating in Russia.
Furthermore, as the game has its own "life", I must take care of the other fronts on a ahistorical, but nevertheless coherent, manner.

Chapter 31 : 'Turning East'

OKW Hauptquartier Wünsdorf - 1940, December the 18th - 0830
Meeting between Feldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel, Chief OKW, and General Alfred Jodl, Chief OKW General Staff.

- "Jodl, es ist soweit !
- I beg your pardon, Herr Feldmarschall ?
- This is the Führers Directive 21 : Hostilities against the Soviet Union will begin next Spring. I quote "The German Wehrmacht must be prepared to crush Soviet Russia in a quick campaign."

zR7xcBW.jpg

Directive 21 : Barbarossa
- Mhmmm... May, the 15th, latest... That gives us 5 months to get prepared...
- It will be more than enough. The Wehrmacht is the best army in the world and the Red Army a very weak opponent. Besides, I don't think the bolchevik dictatorship will survive the first blows. As the Führer says : "We have only to kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down."
- Probably yes, Herr Feldmarschall. But it wouldn't hurt to get another estimation of Oberst Kinzel from FHO (Fremde Heere Ost - NotA). We might have the best army but the Soviets still have the largest one. Furthermore, we have to make sure the Balkan problem is solved before starting 'Barbarossa'. It would be foolish to launch such a major campaign if over half of our tanks are operating in Greece...
- Clear that with Feldmarschall von Brauchitsch and General Halder. Dismiss !"

OKH Hauptquartier, Berlin-Wünsdorf - Same day - 1400
Meeting between Feldmarschall von Brauchitsch, Chief of the OKH, and General Franz Halder, Chief of the General Staff.

- "Ah... Halder ! General Jodl just came out of my office. The invasion of the USSR, Unternehmen 'Barbarossa' has been ordered.
- Well... Not a very big surprise, Herr Feldmarschall, gell ?
- Really not but the war goals differ a little bit from the original "Plan Fritz". We're now facing to a major campaign, with a front running from Finland to the Black Sea. We have to reach a line "Arkhangelsk-Gorky-Rostov" in order to prevent any threat to Germany in the future and protect it from enemy bombers.
- That's insane !!! How are we supposed to get that deep ?
- Don't you think we can win ?
- I'm not afraid of the Red Army, Herr Feldmarschall. It's just a giant herd with no head.
No, I was thinking of all the logistical issues. The more we're going to advance, the toughest is will be to supply our units. It is mandatory to destroy the soviet formations as close as possible from the border without giving them the opportunity to retreat. Otherwise...
We're also going to need more divisions than in the initial plan. 18. Armee is in East-Prussia since this Summer and the newly created 17. Armee in southern Poland. 9. Armee is currently redeploying to the East but it still won't be enough.

9Mhc8P6.jpg

Preparation underway
- Let General Paulus work on this. He's quite good.
- Jawohl !
I'll ask Oberst Kinzel to deliver us his latest estimations on the strength of the Red Army.
- Jodl asked the same thing. He looked worried too..."

ItaLuft Hauptquartier, Rome - 1940, December the 21st - 0830
General Fröhlich, CO Italuft, meets General Geissler, CO X. Fliegerkorps.

- "Willkommen in Italien, General Geissler. I hope you're going to enjoy the trip.
- Vielen Dank, Herr General. I just hoped to come a bit later : a X-Mas without snow isn't a real X-Mas. I miss Germany already.
- Well... You're not exactly on vacations here, you know.
What's the status of the redeployment of your air units ?
- So far, so good. One part of the X. Fliegerkorps has been rebased in Palermo. The rest is currently in Catania. From these two places, we should be able to fulfill the missions given by the OKL i.e. to attack the allied convoys in the Gulf of Tunis and, of course, the neutralization of Malta.
- It might change a bit, General Geissler. The OKL seems to have other priorities. The convoys interdiction campaign will be carried on as planned but nothing else.
- What's going on ?
- The OKL wants to avoid unnecessary casualties for the moment. You know as much as I do how difficult it is to replace them...
- Yeep. I don't think my boys will be upset with some "forced" vacations in Sicily.
- Vacations won't last very long I'm afraid. Be prepared to transfer your resting air units in Roumania in the next weeks.
- Marita ? Is the situation that bad for the Italians, Herr General ?
- Not anymore, thanks God. Their troops are moving forward but very slowly. The OKW is afraid that the Brits will use this opportunity to intervene. So we must be ready to re-estabilsh the situation.
Besides, the attitude of Yugoslavia in a very near future is still unknown...
- And Afrika ? I've heard the Italians have won a major battle in some place named El Alamein. Is it true ?

ma7IhFh.jpg

Italian victory at El Alamein
- Well. So far I know, it's true. The Brits are retreating but they're doing it in good order. Furthermore, the Italians are experimenting huge issues with their logitics.
If you want my opinion, they've won a battle but the victory is still far away.
- I guess the OKW is the same opinion too : I've met General Rommel in Innsbruck last week and the Afrika-Korps is still scheduled to be sent in Libya in February or March, at the latest."

OberKommando der Marine, Berlin - 1941, January the 2nd - 0900
Meeting between GroßAdmiral Raeder, CinC Navy (OberBefehlsHaber der Marine) and Vizeadmiral Dönitz, Führer der U-Boote.

- "Alles gute zum neuen Jahr, Admiral.
- Ebenfalls, mein lieber Dönitz... Ebenfalls.
Na, have you brought the final report ? I've heard the results are quite good...
I have a meeting with the Führer in the afternoon and I'm pretty sure he will welcome some good news from the Navy after the failure of the Luftwaffe against England.
- Don't push too hard, Admiral. The failure of Unternehmen 'Seelöwe' is mainly due to OUR flaws. Actually, the Luftwaffe did perfom very well : within the last 4 months, we have seen almost no british airplanes and the british naval activity in the Channel is still very low.
Besides, and I insist on that point, it's in the best interest of the Kriegsmarine to maintain good relationships with the Luftwaffe : we need their reconnaissance capabilities and the air cover they provide is very useful. On the top of that, their results in the current convoy battle are far from being negligible, Admiral. With all due respect...
- Mhmmm... Let's see your report, Dönitz !

J6h2x28.jpg

Battle of Atlantic - 1940
... Well... 629 freighters and 231 escorts sunk in a year. Nice job !
- Among them, respectively 466 and 180 are british. 79/25 are canadian and 49/15 australian. The rest is from various nationalities. However, as I told to Admiral Saalwächter a few days ago, for now we have no precise idea of the effectiveness of our commerce interdiction campaign.
- I'm pretty sure the Brits won't be able to sustain such a casualty rate for long.
- May be... May be not.
But talking about casualties, I have to point out that even if our own casualties are slightly inferior to our estimations, I strongly recommend to increase our U-boat production, idealy to 12 units (2 flot.) per month. We really need more boats operating in the Atlantic, Admiral !
And not only more, but also better : the old Type II U-boats are totally obsolete and they aren't no match for the british HK-Groups patrolling the convoys routes. Last month, I've lost 6 boats of the 1. U-Flotille and 12 of the 3. U-Flotille, the latests in less than 2 hours despite air support provided by the FliegerFührer 'Atlantik'.

F86s1xw.jpg

U-boats set-back...
- I've read your report about that. You have re-assigned the Type II flotilas further north, haven't you ?
- I was forced to do so, Admiral. They're now operating north of Scotland. Less targets over there but Type II U-boats don't have the range to reach spanish waters, unless we rebase them in France too. Unfortunatly, we need time to prepare the french ports to host them.
Look at the figures, Admiral : 84% of the freighters (530) and 87% of the escorts (203) we sunk are the work of our U-boats and not even 5% (11 freighters, 1 escort) are to be put on the credit of surface raiders. The rest is the part of the Luftwaffe (69 freighters, 27 escorts)...
- Things are going to change, mein lieber Dönitz. The Geschwader 'Scharnhorst-Gneisenau' will soon start its Unternehmen 'Berlin', series of commerce raiding operations off the coasts of Spain, and the Geschwader 'Bismarck-Prinz Eugen' will move to Bergen. From there it will be able to launch 'RheinÜbung', a major sortie in the North Atlantic to threaten the sealines between England and Canada.
Besides, HSK 5, 7 and 8 wil soon be deployed in South Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans.

JHEnyDd.jpg

Anti-shipping from Sicily
- And in the same time, the Luftwaffe will increase its operations in the Atlantic and will start anti-shipping campaign in the Mediterranean. General Geissler's X. Fliegerkorps is now fully redeployed in Sicily and combat ready.
Don't get me wrong, Admiral : I would be more than happy should our winged comrades have success. But keep in mind that their success will be at OUR expense in terms of budget and production priority...
- I'll try to remember that."

Heeresversuchsstelle (Weapons Testing Ground), Kummersdorf - 1941, January the 6th - 1030
General Leeb, Chef des Heereswaffenamtes (Army Weapons Agency) meets Erich Müller, Direktor bei Krupp AG.

- "How nice to see you, Direktor Müller. How are you ?
- Nothing to complain about, General. I even bring you some good news.
- I'm all ears...
- As you know, our company is working on new massive railroad artillery pieces to destroy the most reinforced enemy bunkers.
- I know. And the completion date should have been in Spring... last year.
- I apologize for the delay. We've met technical complications in the forging of such massive pieces of steel. It's not a sling, you know.

QydynXi.jpg

Monster Artillery
Anyhow, we just completed the last trials at Hillersleben firing range with our test model and they give us full satisfaction. We're now going to send it to the Rügenwalde Proving Ground and Herr Alfried Krupp himself would love to host the Führer for a firing demonstration over there.
- I'm quite sure he would be delighted.
How long before you can deliver us a first exemplar ?
- Roughly 10 months. The main difficulty now is the mount. It requires a specially designed chassis, supported by eight bogies on two parallel sets of railway tracks.
- I understand. Good work, Direktor Müller !"

Reichskanzlei, Berlin - 1941, January the 7th - 1100
The Führer meets Abwehr Chef Admiral Canaris (Head of Intelligence) and Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop.

- "Meine Herren, It is my intend to attack the USSR next Spring and to eradicate the threat contituted by these Bolcheviks.
Ja, Ribbentrop...?
- Mein Führer, you're fully right but aren't you afraid of the reaction of the world if we attack a country which we signed a non-agression pact with ?
- Don't be afraid, Ribbentrop : When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath and make no comment.

YwKm6Th.jpg

Calm before storm
However, our intentions must be kept secret. As long as possible, we must maintain our commercial relationships with Russia at the current level. Our industry needs the ressources of these communists pigs... before we can be able to control them ourself. This is a crusade for the survival, not only of the german Reich, but of all civilized nations against the asian hords !
How many allies do we already have ?
- Italy, Roumania, Hungary and Slovakia will be on our side, that's for sure, mein Führer. We have good reasons to believe that Bulgarians will follow really soon but I seriously doubt they will engage themsemves against their slavic brethren.
- And Finland ?
- Finns hate Russians, mein Führer. But they don't like us particularly either. They might join our "crusade" eventually but only to achieve their own specifics goals. And it surely will cost us something...
- Admiral Canaris, you didn't say a word...
- Mein Führer, with all due respects, I don't think it's a good idea to attack the USSR as long as England is still at war. To be honest, I'm worried about our western front.
- England is in no state to take some action whatsoever, France is beaten and Spain positively oriented to us. What's wrong with you ?
- Mein Führer, it's true that England isn't a great threat, but just now, and just in continental Europe. In north Africa, they have very strong forces and our italians friends will have a hard time with them. For this reason, I'm afraid their participation to our crusade will merely be symbolic...
Furthermore, France is not beaten... not entirely. The popularity of the Vichy regime is not high among the population in France, not to mention in the overseas territories.

R2K32eT.jpg

One more for FFL
After Gabon, Cameroun, french Somalia, it's now New Caledonia that has just defected and the Vichy regime can't do nothing against it, provided they even wanted to do something. Mein Führer, either we manage to get Vichy closer to our cause, or we must find a way to neutralize it once for all.
- I understand your point, Admiral. Unfortunatly, we lack the means to take some "violent" actions against Vichy right now. I'd rather have them on our side. Their troops in Algeria and Syria might be useful in case of a prolonged confrontation with the Brits. See how you can manage that...
- Zu Befehl, mein Führer !"

OKH Hauptquartier, Berlin-Wünsdorf - 1941, January the 31st - 1800
Meeting between Feldmarschall von Brauchitsch, Chief of the OKH, and General Franz Halder, Chief of the General Staff.

- "Na, Halder ? Is it so important ? I was about to leave.
- Herr Feldmarschall, do you remember what I told you about the italian offensive in Egypt ?
- "Do not count your chicken before they're hatched ?".. something like this ?
- Precisely this, Herr Feldmarschall. After their victory at El Alamein, the Italians reached the Nile at El Hammam, Abu Keifu and Sanhur.
- A nice flanking movement to encircle Alexandria...

feStFpc.jpg

Tide turning in Africa ?
- I told you they didn't have the logistics to do this...
- And ?
- Comando Supremo just informed me that the Brits launched a counter-attack at Sanhur. The italian Army is on the run !
No need to explain that the next target will be Abu Keifu and then El Hammam, may be El Alamein again...
- The Italians can't stop them ?
- Herr Feldmarschall ! Abu Keifu is a salient : the Brits will be able to attack from every sides. With their catastrophic Command & Control, the Italians have NO chance to stop them.
- Well, bad news indeed... Thanks God, General Rommel will soon be able to help them.
- IF he can go through the Mediterrenean, Herr Feldmarschall, and IF the Regia Marina can provide us enough ships. The italian transport fleet has only 5 flotilas left. The rest is already at the bottom of the sea.
- That's a lot of "ifs", mein lieber Halder...
Ok, now, give me the good news !
- 'Marita' will be a walk in the park, Herr Feldmarschall. May be we won't even have to start it.

mp7meUY.jpg

Situation in Greece - January 1940
The italian army made a great advance in the last days : Athens is only 100km away from their vanguards and the main body of the greek forces is to far away to do something and almost encircled.
- It sounds good to me. I wasn't very much enthousiastic about a hard mountainous campaign just before 'Unternehmen Barbarossa'.
- Everything hasn't be said, Herr Feldmarschall. Yugoslavia remains a concern..."

Last edited:
Great news from Greece... too bad you still need to send an entire Panzerkorps and one of your best Panzergeneral to Africa

Well, Greece seems to be going well. That big stack needs to be cut off or the Italians might have a surprise coming.
Hopefully one full panzerkorps will be enough. Nice update.

Will you still attack Yugoslavia if Greece falls?