• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some interesting turns there - on all Fronts. Maybe this wife will faithfully conduct herself...probably not. Beware of sneaking steps in the dead of night.:)
Always watch out for the Dutch ;).

Yes, Bohemia did seem to falter rather quickly. No complaints though!

So time to get ready to wrest the Empire away from Austria?

its weird that you can catch your wife cheating on you with SAME guy twice.

at least your new wife shows good taste..

i would improve relations with sweden and muscovy if they didn't rival you, and go for Poland next.

league mechanic will allow to ally anyone in protestant league so... maybe consider the above and get otomans also and murder poland with help of all their rivals.
I was trying to do something like that, but the Leagues turned out quite... interesting. All will be made clear in the next chapter.

We are in mourning for Bohemia.... but not for ex- Her Royal Highness. (The fact that the adultery pop-up popped up twice is just more proof that the AI loves to rub it in.) :mad:
Indeed, that was my exact reaction when that event happened twice, stupid AI :rolleyes:.

All: as I went to the #1 top European tourist destination of Luxembourg for 3 days, I haven't been able to work on the next chapter. I won't be able to do it this weekend, and next week on Monday the academic year starts again for me so I've yet to see when I have the time to do it, hopefully it'll be for the next weekend :).

Burgundy will have to cease to exist for you goal, right?
Will you feed it to France for historical correctness rather than taking it yourself?
Yes, Burgundy will definitely go. And yes, I really want historical borders so it means limiting myself from taking whatever I can when I find an opportunity and how paradoxically it might sound: if that requires feeding France, I will ;).

Growing nicely.:)

Growing nicely.:)
Thanks, although it will slow down a bit and it's not the same level as in the very beginning but it's an acceptable rate for a Prussia that can only go west and south I think ;).

To repeat, I will try to bring out a chapter this weekend, after that I'll see when I find the time cause it seems I'm heading towards a very busy and tough semester. But that's what I thought when I started my Belgium AAR too so we'll see how it goes :).

I'm very sorry to all of you who were waiting for the next chapter this weekend but I've fallen ill on Friday and have to rest. I don't know yet when I'll have the time to do it, but I hope soon. My apologies again for this delay.

I'm very sorry to all of you who were waiting for the next chapter this weekend but I've fallen ill on Friday and have to rest. I don't know yet when I'll have the time to do it, but I hope soon. My apologies again for this delay.
No worries. Hope you recover swiftly!

What a coincidence! I came down with a bad cold on Friday. Currently on the mend now.

No worries! I've been sick since Tuesday last week. Got better yesterday and had a horrible backlash today.:( Get well soon, mate!

No worries. Hope you recover swiftly!

What a coincidence! I came down with a bad cold on Friday. Currently on the mend now.

No worries! I've been sick since Tuesday last week. Got better yesterday and had a horrible backlash today.:( Get well soon, mate!
Thanks all, I'm much better than Saturday already, but I have no idea when I'll have time - first deadline is already next week - so bear with me if it takes a while.

A little (QoL) update for you readers: thanks to the new forum update I added threadmarks for the chapters already posted and will do the same for the future ones. I'm convinced this will make it way easier for readAARs and writAARs to find a new update, and although this makes a personal index at the OP unnecessary (at least in my opinion) I will still add the new chapters to come in the future, for completeness.

About the next chapter: I hope to bring out a chapter this weekend but I can't promise anything, real life as you all know ;).

Stinky wife! I hope this one does a little better by, you know, not acting like a stinky adulteress...
She will have to! Or she would end up like the previous 'wife' we had :rolleyes:.

All: My apologies I didn't make it for an update this weekend (again), I think it's clear I can't keep up with a weekly update schedule (or any schedule to be fair) so from now on, "officially", updates will come whenever I can - it'll also prevent me disappointing you when I can't reach my date :oops:.

She will have to! Or she would end up like the previous 'wife' we had :rolleyes:.

All: My apologies I didn't make it for an update this weekend (again), I think it's clear I can't keep up with a weekly update schedule (or any schedule to be fair) so from now on, "officially", updates will come whenever I can - it'll also prevent me disappointing you when I can't reach my date :oops:.
Woot!

Great read, can't wait to see more!
Thanks, I hope the next chapter will be worth the waiting :).

To all: I am working on the next chapter but I can't give any release date, there's still quite some work to do but as a sort of compensation I wanted to share you what I have been reading during summer and more recently about Prussia and the German Empire - hopefully this AAR might bring this very interesting period and Empire some more attention and spark some interest among the readAARs :):

- Preußen ohne Legende (1998) by Haffner, S(ebastian) with (if I'm not mistaken) an English translation "The Rise and Fall of Prussia" - a small (186p.) interesting book about the development and myths that surround Prussia.

- Iron kingdom: the rise and downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947 (2006) by Clark, C(hristopher) - a bit larger (776p.) but not less interesting book about, as the title suggests, the rise and fall of Prussia in 347 years of history.

- Imperial Germany 1867-1918: politics, culture, and society in an authoritarian state (1990, translation in English in 1995) by Mommsen, W(olfgang) - a collection of different essays on the German Empire bundled in one book (304p.). While the previous two books were mainly centred on Prussia, this one puts the German Empire in the centre and is the book I just lent and am reading at the moment.

Also a shout-out to the DD of HoI4 of last week where it was announced that the next DLC will contain a new path in the German focus tree to Oppose Hitler and restore the German Empire! I think I know what to do when the DLC comes out (if I find the time :rolleyes:).

Also a shout-out to the DD of HoI4 of last week where it was announced that the next DLC will contain a new path in the German focus tree to Oppose Hitler and restore the German Empire! I think I know what to do when the DLC comes out (if I find the time :rolleyes:).
Yeah, I REALLY REALLY REALLY liked that. :D

Chapter 5: 8th of June 1553 till 14th of November 1567
Chapter 5: 8th of June 1553 till 14th of November 1567

Immediately after the declaration of the Emperor reached all courts in Europe, alliances were made: Austria led the Catholic League with already 3 electors joining them (Palatine, Salzburg and Trier) while France, despite being Catholic decided to join the Protestant League to weaken Austria together with the minor nations of Alsace, Tuscany and Ravensburg. This was just the opening moves of these nations, as lots of other nations all over Europe would join. Prussia would, for now, stand by and watch how these Leagues developed before taking any action themselves.

UmeKqlX.png

Spies even intercepted letters between the King of France and the leader of Riga which basically say:

“Yo bro France, we’re Riga as you may know (or not), and we heard you joined the Protestant League you know, and we are in the same League. Could we, you know, be friends now?” while France answered: “Why not?”

Much of these letters were intercepted, due to Prussia’s central position between West and East-Europe. This is how the Regent-Electress and the prince heard about Castille joining Austria’s side as soon as France joined, as well as Bohemia. On the other side, the Polish also joined the French in the Protestant League. This also made Bohemia rethink their opinion about Austria and announced they weren’t treating them anymore as rivals. Prussia was still waiting a bit more for the right moment.

zidXV39.jpg

In the meantime, Prussia’s economy was slowly but steadily growing due to investments in manufactures in provinces with precious goods, such as Greifswald which produces salt as well as cloth in Berlin and Sternberg.

EG4nprJ.png

Finally, on the 1st of March 1556, Ferdinand I von Hohenzollern was old enough to be crowned king of Prussia, and immediately announced his sister to be his heir. Vera von Hohenzollern (3/3/5) was a very decent choice. And in case his sister would die, he announced that he was fertile enough to produce another heir if needed. Just so that every pretender knows...

6TsIaC8.png

Not much happened for 2 years to come, Prussia was minding their own business and looking how the Leagues were developing. Unfortunately for Hesse, they declared a war and although the details are not known, they lost one way or another, and were reduced to a OPM.

LgWMJnL.png

This was a wake-up call for the fresh King-Elector to start expanding the realm before whole Europe would explode in this League stuff. He decided to invade Saxony and regain the Prussian core on Leipzig. We got this core due to some event about Protestant immigrants or Protestant emphasisers with Prussia. Which is very useful now.

LyMMHha.png

And well, not much to say: Saxony was annexed entirely into Prussia. This made our heir Vera feel very Righteous despite not doing much but well…

Time passed again until Prussia needed another war to expand: Braunschweig was the next target, a OPM which received its independence at the cost of Hesse.

roYxzXw.png

After sieging Memmingen and Augsburg, Braunschweig’s allies, we annexed Braunschweig. We’re also dragged in a war against Tuscany by Austria, which we accepted but kept out of. Sneaky Austria broke the alliance between Ravensburg and Tuscany first, using their GP status to put pressure on Ravensburg. Tuscany didn’t stand a chance with Spain first and Austria secondly declaring on them.

5J2mehl.png

6E1nWVY.jpg

The first university of Königsberg opened this year, and of course the King-Elector is sponsoring the scientific developments which will help Prussia advance in this age. These developments immediately led to us embracing another administrative idea, also enabling our second last national idea group granting us additional national manpower modifier +25% and reducing recruitment time by 10%.

AlKpPOF.jpg

With this new university in Prussia, the King-Elector demanded an overview of the nation to be made: it clearly shows the development of Prussia during the past decades: we have 40 provinces with 438 development in total, a big difference with our starting position in 1444. We are allied (and unofficially in control) with Poland, also Austria, Hesse and Holland. Besides the first two, not much big partners to be honest, but we’re managing fine.

64wCQ7v.jpg

Muscovy on the other hand was doing poorly, very poorly. Being stomped by Poland-Lithuania and Ottomans for quite a while now, the Kalmar Union joins the beating too, leading to Muscovy to announce their bankruptcy. I hope the AI spends its points in development or tech first before they do it, but I don’t have high hopes for that. Hopefully Muscovy will recover…

lBSMrNa.png

To strengthen our alliances a bit, we decided to ally Mainz. Mainly because AE buffer, but also because for the moment they’re blocking our patch southwards (owning Ansbach) and well, we can make use of it if we want.

After our alliance was made, Poland took a bite out of Muscovy themselves in the north near Neva (former Livonian Order), but Prussia was doing fine outside the League for now. As it happened to be, on the 24th of May 1567 the King-Elector was debating the situation, convinced joining the Protestant side would be the perfect timing. As he was signing the document though, a messenger run into the King-Elector’s room, shouting:

“THE OTTOMANS HAVE ANNOUNCED FRANCE AS THEIR RIVAL!”

qaGI5qJ.png

Everyone was silent for a moment, until the King-Elector realised what this meant:

2tMqF3G.png

„NEIN NEIN NEIN, scheiße!“

"F*** this, tell the Protestants they can forget about our support in the coming war, we’re going to sit this out. Who invented this whole League matter by the way?! Now get out of my room!"

pxDk7ot.jpg

The day after reports confirmed the King-Elector’s decision: the Ottomans have the biggest army in the known world, amounting to 4 times as much as the second biggest army from England, around 183 000 soldiers. If war would erupt, Prussia would be swallowed by the Catholic League. If we were to survive, war must be avoided. Prussia would not join the Leagues. A bitter disappointment.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once again my apologies for the long delay, I will have to see when I'll have time to do the next part (November is going to be crucial this semester) so bear with me if it takes a while again. It's very appreciated.

Also, because of the soon to be released DLC and patch I decided to play the rest of the campaign from 1690 till 1820 this weekend, hence why it took a little bit longer too than expected to release this but now that I've got everything there is nothing between me and writing, so that's a good sign ;)!

The best laid plans ...

Not that I have played all that many games, but I do not think I have seen Ottomans back the Catholics before.