• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, Renato could lead the troops. He can just be depicted as being there to improve morale if it doesn't fit with his character. :rolleyes:
That way, some messing up of orders can be avoided as well.

I'm waiting for his heir to reach adulthood before putting Renato on the front lines. I suppose a regency isn't as damaging here, but I'd still like to avoid it.

When you said that you were doing a Neapolitan campaign after the Random Country one, I was not expecting this XD (I left the forums for a bit and just came back so I had to catch up but yeah)

I thought countries were always at war in the Always War mod. Huh.

What of the non-Archangel angels? Will we see them too?

Also are you planning on going Protestant?

When you said that you were doing a Neapolitan campaign after the Random Country one, I was not expecting this XD (I left the forums for a bit and just came back so I had to catch up but yeah)

I thought countries were always at war in the Always War mod. Huh.

What of the non-Archangel angels? Will we see them too?

Also are you planning on going Protestant?

Glad to see that you've returned. Well the name is a bit of a misnomer since nations are almost always at war. :p

I may include normal angels later on. Haven't had an opportunity to add one in yet. I might go Protestant. Not sure how it will impact the game since who knows what things will be like when the Reformation hits.

I spent 3 days in Italia last week. Couldn't find any of the Archangels, but didn't see any trace of plague either (although the behavior of some Italian drivers can be considered quite suspicious :p)

I spent 3 days in Italia last week. Couldn't find any of the Archangels, but didn't see any trace of plague either (although the behavior of some Italian drivers can be considered quite suspicious :p)

You can thank the Archangel Michael for curing them then. :D

Well if they drive like the taxi drivers do in Mexico, I'm surprised you're still alive. :p

Success On All Fronts

The end of May brought joyous news as Sardinia fell to Neapolitan occupation. This freed up a much needed army that could be sent north. The archangel Michael eagerly left for the province, glad to see Sardinia added to Naples.

In the province of Mantua, an engineer of some repute shared ideas of how to better improve the fortifications in the province. Renato was more than glad to fully endorse the man in his efforts, granting him a small dividend and workforce to work on the fort in Mantua. The province would be that much more difficult to take away from Naples now.

Scouts up north reported diseased peasants rising up in Waldstatte and attacking the Swiss siege army. Unprepared for such an assault, the Swiss were forced to flee to Zurich. Any setback for Naples’ neighbours was a good one.

The army from Sardinia made it back to the mainland without incident. Apparently the Aragonese were more concerned with trapping the Neapolitan navy in port than stopping the army from moving freely across the water. When a tiny army was spotted in Treviso, the freed-up army was sent north to engage. The Venetians must not have been expecting an attack, since the army was dealt with easily enough, despite a much larger force stationed in Venice. The Austrians were also in Lienz, trying to retake the province, but they were not large enough to be a threat. Not wanting to provoke the Venetians, the army was ordered over into Sudtirol.

Liguria fell in the end of August, another bonus for the war effort. That army was sent over to Nice to continue harassing the Savoyards. A few days later, Malta fell as well. That army was sent over to Palermo to finish taking Sicily from Aragon. Realizing that Sicily would soon be in Naples’ hands, Renato knew that he’d have to build up the navy to ensure he could protect Naples’ Mediterranean islands. He made it his mission to do so. To fund this effort, Renato instituted a new war tax meant to last for two years. It was expected to bring in nearly three whole ducats more a month.

Naples’ endless victories did not end there. Lombardia fell in September, a crippling blow to the Milanese cause. Now they were reduced to a tiny province in the Alps riddled with rebels. With the army in Lombardia freed up, General Carlo Gori marched over into Piedmont to dispatch the small Savoyard force there. Such an attack was accomplished with ease, with only a few dozen horses injured in the attack.

Over in Venice, the Venetians were attempting to expel Austria from Lienz. The initial attack had not gone as planned as Austrian reinforcements showed up. Venice was crushed and their army forced to flee back to their capital.

Wanting to take full advantage of Venice’s weakness, General Gori marched across Naples to besiege Treviso. Attacking the province would trap Venice’s army in Venice. With armies nearby in Sudtiral and Graubünden, Gori knew he had possible reinforcements for if the enemy engaged him. The Austrian army in Lienz worried him a bit, but he’d wait to see what happened with them.

With the implementation of the war tax, funds were starting to fill up the treasury. Renato decided to use all those ducats to pay off one of Naples’ two loans. He did not want his nation in debt as he waged war against so many nations.

Reactions:
If on the off chance you lose a province, does that mean Gabriel had to rush over to bring the plague upon the people?

If on the off chance you lose a province, does that mean Gabriel had to rush over to bring the plague upon the people?

Most likely most of the cured people get slaughtered and diseased people rampage through the provinces. Gabriel is too busy to get his hands dirty like that. :p

Still as good as ever, please keep this up!

Despite my more pressing iAAR, I will continue on with this one. Naples cannot be left behind. :)

Indeed! Though I would love an update devoted to Renalto's Court and to his Generals...

Don't you mean General? So far only Carlo Gori has led any of the forces. :p I never really considered showing Renato's court, since to me they're a bunch of faceless nobles and courtiers. It's much more interesting to focus on the angel stuff.

Most likely most of the cured people get slaughtered and diseased people rampage through the provinces. Gabriel is too busy to get his hands dirty like that. :p

Perhaps exposure to plagued people, be it through contact or through airborne spread, can spread the plague.

Perhaps exposure to plagued people, be it through contact or through airborne spread, can spread the plague.

If a person is cured, they become immune to the disease, so anyone in one of my provinces that gets conquered can't be infected again unless another angel does it to them purposely. It's my way of explaining why none of my provinces don't randomly get infected again. :D

The Last Judgment

Michael worked his way through Sardinia, cleansing the population. This island had been particularly stubborn to handle. It seemed that every time he thought a region cured, some more diseased would appear and wreak havoc on those no longer affected by disease. The archangel could not figure out where they were coming from, since surely he could not be missing so many diseased in his search.

As he walked near the western shore of Sardinia, a horseman popped out of the woods in front of him and trotted towards the shore. The knight was astride a white horse and wore gleaming silver armour. A bow was slung across his back and he wore a crown upon his head. Michael found that particularly odd, since he himself had watched the Sardinian king die in the battle to take the island and this was not that man. The rider stopped his horse at the water’s edge and stared out at the sea.

Making enough noise to announce his presence without startling the rider, Michael approached the horseman. The man did not acknowledge his presence as he approached, instead continuing to stare out at the sea. The horse lapped at the waters of the Mediterranean, which instantly put the archangel on edge. No ordinary horse would drink salt water.

Michael brushed aside his cloak to reveal his wings. He wanted to make sure this stranger knew exactly what he was. This finally drew the man’s attention. His eyes were a milky white, which sent chills down Michael’s spine. Something was very wrong with this man, but he couldn’t put his finger on it.

Needing answers for his questions, Michael asked, “Who are you, stranger? You wear a crown, yet you are not the king of these lands.”

The horseman remained silent for several seconds, his gaze impassive. Then, with a voice like thunder, he spoke. “I go by many names, archangel, all of which you should be familiar with. Conquest, Victory, Pestilence.” On the last word, a green cloud of vapour filtered out from his mouth.

Michael stepped back from the rider, his eyes wide. “You are one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! Surely it is not yet time for the Apocalypse. God cannot have given up on this world so easily.”

Conquest stared at Michael for a moment before responding in his booming voice. “It was not God who unleashed us upon the world. Lucifer was the one to break the first four of the Seven Seals.”

The archangel could not believe what he was hearing. If Conquest spoke the truth, then Lucifer had stolen the book that could start the Apocalypse and had broken some of its seals. If the rest were broken, the world would end. Michael didn’t want to think how he’d managed to do that in the first place.

“So you have come to bring an end to this world?” Michael said with a scowl on his face.

Conquest stared down at the archangel with his piercing gaze. “I merely do my duty, just as you do. No matter my concerns, I must continue with my task.”

“So you care nothing that it was Satan who unleashed you instead of God? Surely you must recognize that this goes against God’s will.”

His face still as impassive as ever, Conquest said, “I did not say that I do not care. I am well aware that God had no part in this. That does not change my actions. Perhaps it would be best that the world end before Lucifer can claim it.”

“You could choose not to try to end the world,” Michael said as though it was the most obvious thing in the world, and perhaps it was.

Conquest tilted his head to the side as though confused by the archangel’s words. “I was created with the sole purpose of being a harbinger of the Apocalypse. It is all I know. Just as you are compelled to rid this world of evil, so must I fulfill my purpose. To not do so would go against my very nature.”

Michael felt like he was talking to a wall. He had had the very same experience with Gabriel. Was everyone so stuck in their ways?

Before the archangel could say anything else, Conquest’s gaze drifted back out to sea and his horse lifted its head up from the water. With his thunderous voice, he said, “I must continue on with my task elsewhere. Bringing conquest and pestilence to lands under your protection is pointless for me, as you would work against my efforts. Neither do I wish to interfere with your duty, for it is a noble one. I will stay out of your way for now. Good luck to you in your endeavours.”

With a crack of the reins, Conquest’s white horse moved forth into the Mediterranean. The horse’s hooves pushed off against the water as though it was solid land. Galloping across the sea, the horseman vanished into the western horizon.

Michael stood on the shore as the tide lapped against his feet. His task was now more perilous than ever. Lucifer had unleashed the first stage of the Apocalypse. If he succeeded in unleashing the rest, there would be no stopping him as the world would be destroyed. Michael had to stop him before it was too late. He could only hope that the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse that now walked the earth would not get in his way.

Reactions:
Are the horsemen and angels immortal?

Also the other angels have to come into play now. Michael needs some help.

Are the horsemen and angels immortal?

Also the other angels have to come into play now. Michael needs some help.

Immortal as in live forever, then yes. Immortal as in they can't die, then I'm not sure. I'll decide that when it becomes relevant. :D

I'll eventually get to adding in normal angels at some point, but they haven't really been needed yet for the story.

Reactions:
That horseman was ... particular. He is not evil but it's not the kind of guy you want to live on your lands :p

He's just doing his job. Can you fault him for that? :D

Reactions:
Lucifer once again shows his hand.
From this, we can speculate that if there is a war going on in the Heavens, it is far from over.

Lucifer once again shows his hand.
From this, we can speculate that if there is a war going on in the Heavens, it is far from over.

Lucifer is always causing trouble wherever he goes and he will continue to do so.