• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dskod1

Field Marshal
137 Badges
Apr 14, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • VtM - Bloodlines 2 Blood Moon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
MODABILITY SUGGESTION THREAD
Suggestions to give further modding abilities to the modders.

Make all suggestions for further modding code to be added to the game here. I will keep the orginal post up to date with all the suggestions.

Hopefully this will help our modder devoted developers to easily see what the community wants to be added to the game for modding purposes.

Implemented
Yet to be Implemented

.Mod File and Launcher
  • Allow us to us {supported_version = "1.x.x"} so that we don't have to update the mod every time a small update comes out (and the mod is still works without issues). Use "1" or "1.0" to have the mod always be compatible for other versions.
  • A way for the end user to see if a mod would disable achievements in the launcher mod list would be handy. @Pyrii
New Systems
  • we need a decisions system akin to the intrigue and targeted decisions options we see in Crusader Kings II. In a game such as Stellaris with so many descrete objects, the ability to expressly effect one particular object or another within the event system is absolutely crucial. @Zarathustra_the
  • Namespacing for mods @dosaki
  • Create functional filters to see armed/alliance/populations directly on the galaxy map @JazzMano
  • I think I've maybe some interesting idea. I would like to give some ships special actions when you right click on an object in space. It would be best in ship_sizes.txt where we define every single ship. Maybe something like this: @Savadiv
    • Code:
      science = {
          max_speed = 4.5
          acceleration = 0.3
          rotation_speed = 0.2
              actions = {
                 "survey_planet",
                 "manned_mission",
              }
      }
Pre-scripted Empires
  • The ability to script leaders, in addition to rulers, for pre-scripted empires. @knuckey
  • The ability to define a gender and portrait in the create_leader . @knuckey
  • We really need a way to set starting tech, restrict tech choices, set leader/ruler traits, set starting empire policies and prohibit certain policies all within the prescripted empire file. @Morell
AI
  • Adding an ai_will_do attribute to buildings so that we can control it's placement would be very, very, very,very useful. @Naselus
Information
  • A full list of scopes, conditionals and commands. @Zarathustra_the {About the information on triggers and effects. Something to get started on is to try out the trigger_docs/effect_docs console commands. } - @Divine
  • Need full information on how to create custom ships. @Swizzlewizzle
  • i would like to see, if all namelists-related folders/files are not longer checksum-relevant and ironman-breaking. esp. for non-english users are the generated empire/nation/system/planet-names not the best. actually ALL subfolders in /common are blocked for ironman-compatible-modding. but i think, the names are not important for gameworking, so the block for ironman is not really necessary.
    it would be really cool, if we could a "germanized" version include into our german correction community-mod which should be ironman-compatible at all. @mate0815
Planets and Colonization
  • I'd like to be able to specify tilesets for planets. As it currently stands, each habitable planet has four different tile backgrounds for their respective planet. I'd like to be able to create new tiles, define modifiers for those tiles, and specify the chance that a planet will contain that tile. @Talvos
  • In addition to this, I'd like to correlate a set of tiles (and the planet header image) to the texture used on a planet. Ex.: If a planet looks yellow, I want to make yellowish tiles. If it looks green, I'll make greener tiles, etc. @dosaki
  • It would be nice if one could define some sort of "arrangement templates" for the tiles in a planet. To put a example, 5 tiles with + shape. @roigcarlo
  • It also would be helpful if the "colony cost" could be tweaked in terms of planet size or tile size ( use it a as resource if you like). The planet cap limit now it's OK in my opinion but I really miss the possibility of changing the "administration power" it takes to maintain them. For instance. 1/16 units of "colony cost" per tile (which would results in a whole 1 for a home world for example). This opens the possibility of tweaking the individual cost per tile, which is actually what my suggestion is about. @roigcarlo
  • Colony ship is hard-coded, or more specifically, the initial building ( as far as I know). It would be nice to have the option to define different types of colony ships which would spawn different type of buildings based on their type (Similar to what @@Savadiv suggested with planet actions). The only workaround I've found to the date consist in downgrading the colony_shelter to be able to "split" its upgrade (like the research building) @roigcarlo
  • It also would be nice if one could disable the possibility of building an space station on a planet ( Haven't look deeply in to this, maybe its already possible) @roigcarlo
  • (Maybe this one is too much but...) The ability to dynamically add/remove/replace planetary bodies triggered by certain events. @roigcarlo
Extra Effects, triggers, and/or scopes
  • Adding Robot/Droid/Synthetic growth rates as Planet Modifiers we can change. Would be nice to be able to tweak those using various buildings and the like. @Shadowclaimer
  • Need a way to directly lock a ship section type to technology or via event. @Swizzlewizzle
  • A way to fire off events when a species or subspecies goes extinct, either within a planet, a country or all of them galaxy-wide @InfiniteGremlin
  • A way to detect when species are in danger of extinction. @InfiniteGremlin
  • a way to get the current # of pops in that species. @InfiniteGremlin
  • a way to fire off an event when abandoning colonies. @InfiniteGremlin
  • A way to fire off events when a building is completed @InfiniteGremlin
  • A way to fire off an event if a specified building is present on a planet (I think "has_building" might work for this?) @InfiniteGremlin
  • Overlord and vassal/subject scopes are sorely needed. @Yard1PL
  • Some ways to save hardcoded variables such as stockpiled energy etc. to new custom variables and then using those variables in effects such as add_energy would be amazing. @Yard1PL
  • The trigger num_energy or energy doesn't exist for planet events. This means trying to auto build mines on planets with energy deposits is impossible. (minerals and science resources do exist though) @Jvella12
  • Also a scope for every_system so I can make an event for every system in my border. @Jvella12
  • I'd very much like a set of triggers that check what is currently researched like current_tech_phys = {...}, current_tech_soc = {...}, and current_tech_eng = {...}. As far as I can tell we can only check for "last_increased_tech", "has_tech_option" and "has_technology" at the moment. Some complements to these current_tech triggers could be triggers that checks if the current progress is greater than x% and effects that remove flat progress. @Jormarn
  • I would like to add restrictions to the spaceport levels. For example, only allow spaceport lvl2 if the planet has 5 pops or more. @Kertheon
  • Would really love for on_ship/army_construction and has_ship/army_construction like for buildings so we can check and trigger if a planet is building. @Axelius
  • Can we have the on_ship_enter_orbit on_action ? I'd want to detect precisely when a ship arrives at a planet (for setting up tradesroutes) Right now the closest we have is on_entering_system, and it kind of works, but only if the system has only one colonized planet. @Niocwy
  • Possibility of creating "growing" pop. @Warial
  • every_xxx scopes to complement any_xxx scopes. For example: we have any_pop which can be used in trigger, but we don't have anything to select several pops at once in effect (ie. every_pop) @Warial
  • Possibility of modding POP migration logic to a bigger extent. Currently we can disallow pop from migrating at all and make planets less/more likely to become a general migration targer. However, we cannot influence the migration target for any specific pop. @Warial
  • I couldn't find any mention of them in the code, but dynamic flags would be nice. Like those we have in EU4 when you can use set_country_flag = xxx@ROOT. @Warial
  • Also something like switch_tag command, so we can give the possibility to play as recently released states etc. @Warial
  • Trigger to check vassal status. Both is_subject = [yes/no] is_overlord = [yes/no] would be nice. Also to check subject_type = @Warial
  • can_emancipate game rule @Warial
Modifiers
  • some way to add a sector-wide modifier would be nice. @InfiniteGremlin
  • add a modifier that'd increase chance of a POP to infect other POPs on the planet with his own ethics (increase chance that when they diverge, they diverge towards POPs ethics). To allow for traits like "Convincing". @delra
  • I'd like resource modifiers for primary species and xenos. I'd like these modifiers to be expanded to covering only primary and only xeno so that more effects can be done for Xenophobe and Xenophile effects without needing a lot of workarounds like it is currently. @mtrivundza
  • A modifier that allows to add Influence upkeep for planetary edicts would be lovely. Right now any influence_cost set is just set as the on-use instant influence cost. @GAGA Extrem
Primary Species Only:
  • primary_production_output
  • primary_food_outputetc
Xeno Only(excludes robots):
  • xeno_production_output
  • xeno_growth_req_mult
  • etc
  • It'd be nice to have cost modifiers that'd scale to empire population. Like energy_cost_per_empire_pop, mineral_cost_per_empire_pop, influence_cost_per_empire_pop etc. This would allow to nicely scale edicts to empire's population, imagine you want to add a welfare policy - it'd cost you 10 mineral and 5 energy for each POP in your empire. @delra
Galaxy Generation
  • Can you allow us to add new Galaxy shapes as new files? I know a few people are turned off from using my galaxy shape mods because they have to replace existing options. @Awerlu
  • is there any possibility of allowing us to script how galaxy generation works so instead of just editing variables for Ring or Arms we could make a new Ring or Arms, say Star and it would make the galaxy a star shape as an example. @Awerlu
  • Also being able to change the max borders/invisible wall box of the galaxy would be nice for bigger map sizes/crazier shapes. (I'd like to do a really long line of stars shape with only a little width). @Awerlu
  • Allow us to use the "offset" option in the "arms" scope. Currently it is limited to the "ring" scope. @dskod1 @delra
  • Allow us to set "max arms" in the "arms" scope. Currently it is limited to a max of 4 arms no matter what. @dskod1 @delra
  • Add a new scope for galaxy type, "cluster". See below: @dskod1 @delra
    • Code:
      Cluster = {
          min_clusters = 1         #min clusters
          max_clusters = 10         #max clusters
          min_stars = 50         #min stars per cluster
          max_stars = 100     #max stars per cluster
          connections = 2     #max hyperlane connections per cluster that connects to other clusters.
          distance = 100         #min distance between clusters
          offset = 0.3         # how much to stay away from the center of the map, allowing you to get rid of the "core" and use this instead
          density = 3         # max distance between stars in a cluster
          balanced = yes        # Sets whether each cluster will have the same amount of stars or not
      }
  • Special starting conditions for "Offspring Civilizations", e.g. if you select Commonwealth of Man (or create a new human civilization, but of course you could apply this to other species), United Nations of Earth should also spawn and vice versa, if you wish so. So you won't find a Sol system where humans are fighting 2nd World World at the time you discover them. @Panzerschreck
  • Allow us to select the spawn location of our empire on the map when setting up the new game. @JazzMano
Other
  • full access to the opinion modifiers in the 00_diplo_phrases.txt would be nice. As far as I can tell you cannot access the empire population size modifier. @craftomega
  • adding custom sound effects for events/tech/etc. and music would be cool. @heartzzz
  • Would like to see some of the costings in defines.lua exported to txt files instead - things like maintenance for outposts currently have to be influence or minerals or energy. One of the features I'm going with is building a large V2-style economy which just uses minerals and energy as raw materials and then converts them via buildings into new resources. It'd be nice to be able to tell the game I want frontier outposts to be constructed or maintained using some other resource. @Naselus
  • Would also be handy to have some tools for manipulating player-made resource stockpiles or existing rare resources which have been switched to accumulative. An effect like: @Naselus
    • Code:
      add_stockpile ={ [name of resouce] = [quantiity]}
  • The ability to add resource costs to components - being able to make it cost X resource in addition to minerals to make it in the first place; being able to tell it to consume X resource a month (I think this may be do-able with a modifier already, though I'm not sure what the correct effect would be) @Naselus
  • I would like to have a "reloadloc" command for the console, to be able to reload all localisation files (inclusive the replace folder inside the localisation folder of mods). The "reload"-file command doesn't seem to work for that, so it's pretty annoying to restart the game each time you make a change. @shokii
  • being able to modify the effects of habitability in general would be very much appreciated. @DinodudeEpic
  • It would be cool if name_lists had more varied ways of displaying ordered fleet numbers.
    Right now, you can use:
    • %R% (Roman numerals)
    • %O% (1st, 2nd, 3rd)
    • %C% (1,2,3)
    • %CCC% (001, 002, 003).
    But I would love it to be expanded to:
    • %A% (A, B, C)
    • %G% Greek (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta)
    • %N% Nato (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie)
    • %OOO% (First, Second, Third)
    And any other ordering systems that I can't think of! @SaintDaveUK
  • Events compiler so I don't have to open a new game to check all the scope and triggers in the event make sense. @Jvella12
  • Something else that is probably more difficult to extract, but probably also interesting to mod would be victory conditions. @Jormarn
  • We really, really need more deep mod debugging functionality (with trace log, faulty event pointers & etc), which will allow us to trace, what caused one or another exception. @WarStalkeR
  • can we(if its not already possible) make it so that its possible to make a parent species and subspecies with custom races? would help with mods that have two or more species that originated from the same world, but one no longer occupies it. @eragon king
  • capability override game objects/techs/weapons/ids/etc via modded files and not via original ones. @WarStalkeR
  • Localization: If there's no french/german/spanish/polish/russian language files, use the english one, it should be pretty easy to do, and a big time saving feature for modders.
    If I remeber correctly, it's already implemented in CKII @__Dwaine__

• The ability to have pops in more than one faction may be useful, an example for use could be non-beligerent factions like political parties or senates.@knuckey
  • It would be great to add modifiers and prerequisites to section templates. So that you can make mods that allows more section templates with more research and allow these news sections to have special modifiers like... MORE HP and MORE SHIELD. @Vorgx
  • Expansion of trait restrictions / requirements with other traits and technology. I request prerequisites_trait = { "trait_natural_psionic" } or a similar tag to make one trait require another. @UberWaffe
  • I also request that for traits (with regards to in game gene modification) have prerequisites_tech = { "tech_psionic_boosters" } @UberWaffe
  • Finally, that technologies can have trait requirements such as prerequisites_trait = { "trait_natural_psionic" }. This would take the primary (perhaps most populous? Or at least have X number of pops with this trait?) species traits into account. @UberWaffe

Last edited:
Reactions:
Some mods don't and will basically never require an update to make sure it is up to date with the smallest of updates. Would be nice if we could set the following:

supported_version = "1.x.x"

Then the game will know that the second and third numbers of the version can be any number without need for updating unless a major release happens.

Reactions:
Just poking in to say hi and to mention that even though I'll not always post over here I'll make sure to read this thread every now and then to gather info about what features that will be useful for the mods that are currently in development.

Reactions:
Can you allow us to add new Galaxy shapes as new files? I know a few people are turned off from using my galaxy shape mods because they have to replace existing options.

Going on from that suggestion is there any possibility of allowing us to script how galaxy generation works so instead of just editing variables for Ring or Arms we could make a new Ring or Arms, say Star and it would make the galaxy a star shape as an example.

Also being able to change the max borders/invisible wall box of the galaxy would be nice for bigger map sizes/crazier shapes. (I'd like to do a really long line of stars shape with only a little width)

Reactions:
Totally seconding this. Tried to add map types and was extremely upset this wasn't an option. Different galaxy shapes play really different and for replayability we really need to be able to mod them.

Reactions:
Some mods don't and will basically never require an update to make sure it is up to date with the smallest of updates. Would be nice if we could set the following:

supported_version = "1.x.x"

Then the game will know that the second and third numbers of the version can be any number without need for updating unless a major release happens.
That can be done by using * instead of x, the blorg mod for example uses supported_version="1.0.*"

Reactions:
@loup99
I have taken all the suggestions from that thread an put it in the first post.

First post updated with all the suggestions so far. Let me know if I missed something.

@Divine

Ok we definitely need targeted decisions like CKII, a way to directly call scripted functions on planets, characters, and fleets. This is an absolutely crucial feature for any mechanics based mod that wants to add new functionality to Stellaris.

Ah, didn't see the first post, well it never hurts to mention this again, It is absolutely crucial that we get this functionality.

About the information on triggers and effects. Something to get started on is to try out the trigger_docs/effect_docs console commands. Given that the printed format and description text are sub-optimal it's not the easiest to work with but it should have entries for all of the triggers and effects available.

Reactions:
Need full information on how to create custom ships. As well, and going along with this, need a way to directly lock a ship section type to technology or via event. In addition, in ship sections, we need a way to somehow indicate to the AI when and how the section is to be used. There is no point adding additional ship sections to the game if the AI has no idea how to properly use them, and in what circumstances.

I'd like to be able to specify tilesets for planets. As it currently stands, each habitable planet has four different tile backgrounds for their respective planet. I'd like to be able to create new tiles, define modifiers for those tiles, and specify the chance that a planet will contain that tile. @Talvos

In addition to this, I'd like to correlate a set of tiles (and the planet header image) to the texture used on a planet.
Ex.: If a planet looks yellow, I want to make yellowish tiles. If it looks green, I'll make greener tiles, etc.

I'd like a mod which told the AI of absent multiplayer ruled empires to "keep the status quo". This would stop the breaking of treaties held by players in their absence, stop sectors being rearranged, and so on.

Also would love a "blind" multiplayer feature, which made telling which empire is AI and which is human (more or less) impossible.

Would like to see some of the costings in defines.lua exported to txt files instead - things like maintenance for outposts currently have to be influence or minerals or energy.

One of the features I'm going with is building a large V2-style economy which just uses minerals and energy as raw materials and then converts them via buildings into new resources. It'd be nice to be able to tell the game I want frontier outposts to be constructed or maintained using some other resource (as I can with ground-based buildings). Likewise for colony ships, science ships etc.

Reactions:
i would like to see, if all namelists-related folders/files are not longer checksum-relevant and ironman-breaking.
esp. for non-english users are the generated empire/nation/system/planet-names not the best.

actually ALL subfolders in /common are blocked for ironman-compatible-modding. but i think, the names are not important for gameworking, so the block for ironman is not really necessary.
it would be really cool, if we could a "germanized" version include into our german correction community-mod which should be ironman-compatible at all.

Last edited:
Reactions:
i would like to see, if all namelists-related folders/files are not longer checksum-relevant and ironman-breaking.
esp. for non-english users are the generated empire/nation/system/planet-names not the best.

actually ALL subfolders in /common are blocked for ironman-compatible-modding. but i think, the names are not important for gameworking, so the block for ironman is not really necessary.
it would be really cool, if we could a "germanized" version include into our german correction community-mod which should be ironman-compatible at all.

Full agree! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.