• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alex Borhild

Captain
62 Badges
May 18, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
Into the Unknown
A History of the Scyldari Confederacy

fjbeDz8.jpg

Stellaris has intrigued me since it was announced. Rather than following through with my initial plans for a Commonwealth of Man AAR (maybe for Banks?), I decided to play as the (also pre-set) Scyldari Confederacy to try out a few mods from the Workshop and pass the time until Banks is announced released.

My current plan is to play for around 200 years, so this may take a while. I'm just hoping I'll be done before 1.6 is released.
(EDIT May 24 2017: After learning that AlphaMod for 1.4 was removed from the Steam Workshop in late April, I decided to finish with what I had - screenshots and notes up to January 1, 2213.)

llqva1k.jpg

Game version: 1.4.1
Mods: AlphaMod, AlphaMod: Divided Loyalties

Table of Contents
Chapter I: First Steps (2200)
Chapter II: Contact and Colonization (1/2201- 10/2203)
Chapter III: Knowledge, Labor, Piracy (10/2203-07/2205)
Chapter IV: A Report After Action (08/2205 - 11/2205)
Chapter V: Research and Development (11/2205-02/2209)
Chapter VI: Insults and Investigations (03/2209 - 07/2210)
Chapter VII: Conflict (08/2210 - 12/2211)
Chapter VIII: Defeat, of a sort (12/2211 - 12/2212)

Game created: 15 February 2017
Game last played: 23 February 2017​

Last edited:
Chapter 1: First Steps

W12ERqo.jpg

On the first day of 2200, it was decided to fund research into design and construction of a solar panel module for the spaceport orbiting Scyldaria, brewing techniques, and techniques to increase the mineral output of mines.

QLnKBRj.jpg

The science vessel SCS Y’Kanas and its commander, Bur B’Donag, were ordered to survey the Scyldon system. Admiral Pud J’Dallot was selected to command the First Starfleet composed of the corvettes Y’Kono, T’Talok, and T’Nara.

ezOrVKJ.jpg

She raised her flag on Y’Kono and decided to go to the Bajiol system, issuing orders to T’Nara and T’Talok to each visit four nearby systems.

UfbPGOi.jpg

T’Nara was to visit the Whaskar, Canopus, Ashimax, and Feonus systems before returning to Scyldaria, while T’Talok would visit the Ehsmyke, Rantemario, Evexus, Nemozi, and Sayhouvis systems before returning to Scyldaria.

On [25 January], the fourth D’Pollog-class corvette was laid down, and upon its completion two months later on [25 March], it was commissioned SCS T’Sirma.

In early [February], Admiral Pud J’Dallot’s Y’Kono arrived on the edge of the Baijol system around the same time as the T’Nara and T’Talok arrived in their assigned systems. Based on the experimental probe and the information gathered by the Y’Kono’s sensors, it was determined that Baijol was a [G-class star], orbited by 3 planets.

eCTKp8z.jpg

The planet closest to the star, according to sensor scans, appeared to have an atmosphere similar to Scyldaria, though it was slightly smaller. The other bodies in the system were not hospitable to Scyldari life- the second planet was barren and had an extremely thin atmosphere, while the third was toxic, and Baijol III’s only moon was, like Baijol II, rocky and lacked an atmosphere.

After 12 days, on [21 February] the Y’Kono activated its warp drive to return to Scyldaria. The T’Sirma joined Y’Kono in mid-[April] as Y’Kono passed the orbit of Firren [Scyldon III].

In early June Bur B’Donag aboard Y’Kanas finished his survey of Scyldon and reported that Scyldon would be a good energy source. Orders were given on the last day of [June] for the T’Ralsak to build an energy collection station in Scyldon’s orbit.

On [6 July] Bur B’Donag reported finding impressive ruins on Vilcot’s Pursuit [Scyldon II], but due to the hazardous environment of the small planet the Y’Kanas was ordered to continue its survey of the Scyldon system.

V7nL9TF.jpg

On [11 July ] and [13 July] the T’Nara and T’Talok returned to the Scyldon system, and on [2 August] the T’Ralsak began building the Scyldon energy station.

The fourth D’Pollog-class corvette was laid down on [1 October], the same day that the T’Nara was ordered to scout “west”, visiting the Folingar, Camglaria, and Deres systems (by way of Feonus) before returning to Scyldaria, and the T’Talok was ordered to scout the Wodriax, Yultup, Sairus, and Kauri systems (by way of Rantemario) before returning to Scyldaria.

o4hTnYH.jpg

Shv6nwO.jpg

The Scyldon energy station was finished on [12 November], and the T’Ralsak was ordered to build a mining station in the orbit of Grongari.

On [15 November] Bur B’Donag finished surveying the Scyldon system and the Y’Kanas was ordered to return to Scyldaria.

The fourth D’Pollog corvette was completed on 1 December and named T’Bomka. On [27 December] Y’Kanas docked with Scyldon Spaceport. Thus ended 2200.

I'm very new to Stellaris but I like the pre-set empires and the Scyldari (space sea otters!) look fun.

I particularly like the putting of human dates in closed brackets with the implication you are translating an alien dating system, that's a neat touch! :)

Almost all Stellaris AARs I have come to realise start the same way - but very quickly each begin to tell thier own tale. I look forward to yours.

Nikolai: Thank you!
RossN: I thought the Scyldari might be interesting. I did start another Scyldari game once with the Civilian Trade mod which was fun, and I think I played that game for about 100 years (plus a custom empire of Xenophobic Spiritualist Militarist space elves for about 200 years with the More Events mod) before I decided to make an AAR and try some different mods.
stnylan: That is true, isn't it? Thank you! Now I want to think of original ways to start a Stellaris AAR...

The bad news is that my spring break has thus far not featured as much writing and gaming as I had hoped, mainly due to troubleshooting my computer over the last few days. I've decided to replace the hard drive that's giving me trouble and upgrade my operating system while I'm tinkering.
The good news is that I do have a few more screenshots and a couple years' worth of writing in reserve, so hopefully nothing is lost and I can resume soon.

Chapter 2:
Contact and Colonization

2201-2203

On the 8th day of 2201, Y’Kanas departed from Scyldon Spaceport. Its orders were to survey the Baijol, Ehsmyke, Whaskar, and Rantemario systems. Just under a week later, the SCS T’Talok detected unusual thermal and electromagnetic emissions shortly after arriving in the [Yultup] system on 14 January.

bEzzI6P.jpg

It was thought that this could be a sign of intelligent alien life, so the commander of the T’Talok was advised to act with extreme caution while continuing on its present course, and experts began a project to analyze the available data to determine if these “Alpha Aliens” had a language that could be deciphered.

When the T’Talok entered the [Sairus] system on 1 February, its passive sensor scans indicated the emissions classified as “Alpha Aliens” were coming from a moon orbiting one of the system’s gas giants. Sensor readings also appeared to indicate spacecraft and satellites similar to Scyldari technology- a large object orbiting the moon resembled Scyldon Spaceport, while eleven objects very similar to the Confederate Star Navy’s D’Pollog-class corvettes were also detected. More data was gathered before the T’Talok departed the system, and by July 2201 both the T’Nara and T’Talok had returned to Scyldaria’s orbit without further incident.

In early April, Bur B’Donag published a paper demonstrating more efficient surveying protocols and contributed several ideas for improving scientifc research.
XFCjCGw.jpg

Bur completed the survey of the Baijol system on July 12, and the Y’Kanas began surveying the Ehsmyke system on September 10.

A group of biologists proposed in October that the surveying efforts should emphasize worlds containing life. The idea was approved by referendum and by Chancellor Dackam.
yIxjT0k.jpg

The [Habitable Worlds Survey] began on October 18, 2201.

Analysis of data transmitted by the T’Talok indicated that the moon theorized to be inhabited by the “Alpha Aliens” had a breathable atmosphere very similar to Scyldon’s. There was some hope among the limited few that knew of the “Alpha Aliens” that the aliens would be friendly. The “Alpha Aliens” were contacted on [2 January 2202] and it was revealed that these aliens called themselves the Saiiban Autocracy.

md1ru4r.jpg

According to the initial messages, and the eventual video link, their homeworld was, like Scyldon, also dominated by a ocean that covered most of its surface. However, there were several major differences between the Autocracy and the Confederacy. One of the foremost was that every citizen of the Scyldari Confederacy had a voice in government, while the Saiiban Autocracy was a totalitarian state where the Emperor had near-absolute power and the common citizen did not possess political power. Both states did espouse materialism as a foundation of policy, but that was the only common ground. Rather than being mammals like the Scyldari, the Saiiban had evolved from avian ancestors.

yuPGyhU.jpg

In the initial contacts with the Saiiban Autocracy, the Confederacy emphasized cooperation for mutual benefit. The Autocracy said little of substance in reply, though it was thought that the Autocracy would probably be reluctant to closely cooperate with a direct democracy.

Shortly after the end of Chancellor Dackam’s brief first conversation with the Saiiban Emperor Tabhuk I, a press conference was held to announce first contact.

SZDl5Q5.jpg

It quickly became among the most-watched videos in Scyldari media history, reaching over 7 billion views (compared to Scyldaria’s estimated population of 8.75 billion) within days.

Initial text communications between the Confederacy and the Autocracy had included discussion and maps of territorial claims.

3hmyIrG.jpg

The Autocracy claimed the [Kauri], [Yultup], [Chi Draconis], [Despad], and [Wodriax] systems in addition to the Sairus system.

On [18 January 2202] the Y’Kanas completed its survey of the Ehysmyke system.
On [1 March], a new science ship began construction, to be followed by a colony ship.

Two months later, the science vessel T’Derikam was commissioned on [1 May], and Pud B’Than was given command and ordered to survey the [Rantemario] and [Evexus] systems, which lay between the territory claimed by the Confederacy and the Saiiban Autocracy.

faH8BdV.jpg

Mor J’Bassim, Head of Engineering research, contributed to several papers and began to incorporate techniques similar to those suggested by Bur B'Donag in [early April 2201].

V1gZgqs.jpg

On [4 February 2203] Pud B’Than reported that the survey of the Rantemario system had been completed. Bur B’Donag reported in March that the Y’Kanas had detected a small space station while surveying the moon Whaskar VIIIa.

1ebnv7y.jpg

Head of Physics Research Vak J’Khanna and Head of Society Research Bor B’Torak both began to be better researchers in early [April 2203].

iN8kZ9C.jpg

Both departments were more productive and within their research budgets as a result of their head's increased experience.
On [18 April 2203] the colony ship T’Ylgar was completed, and ordered to land and establish a colony on the third planet in the Rantemario system, which was given the name Philon’s Port.
T’Ralsak was given orders [in early May] to build a mining station in the orbit of Ehsmyke III and a research station in the orbit of Ehsmyke II.
[In late May] Pud B’Than was ordered to survey the Nemozi and Sayhouvis systems.

A terse message from the Saiiban Autocracy on [8 June] stated that the Emperor henceforth considered the Scyldari Confederacy to be a rival of the Saiiban Autocracy.
JEPd6tT.jpg

Chancellor Dackam still held out hope that diplomacy would prevail, so she decided not to reciprocate. The next day, the colony ship T’Ylgar arrived in the Rantemario system with its crew of one hundred thousand Scyldari.

Bur B’Donag reported from the Y’Kanas on [18 July] that the Whaskar system survey was complete. The Y’Kanas was ordered to survey the [Canopus], [Feonus], [Ashimax], and [Deres] systems, and the T’Derikam was ordered to survey the [Camglaria] system in addition to the systems it was already going to survey.

On [5 September 2203] the T’Ylgar landed on Rantemario III, which had been named Philon’s Port, establishing the first Scyldari colony on another planet.
DriWmLJ.jpg

The T’Ylgar had landed near an archipelago in the northern hemisphere of the planet, and the process of converting the ship into the adminstrative headquarters of the new colony began.
EgHcVRB.jpg

The first artifacts from the Irassian Concordate were found [5 October] on Canopus VIIa by a team from the Y’Kanas.

QQaJH4Y.jpg

All proceeding according to a plan.

A new colony! A joyous occasion.:)

stnylan and Nikolai: Indeed! Hopefully this new colony is the first of many.

I was hoping to update this sooner, but work and school have unfortunately been keeping me busy. The end of the semester draws near. It's almost tempting to abandon this and start anew with Banks and Utopia (which I bought late yesterday - hurray for birthday gifts), and perhaps I should, but I still have about ten more years of gameplay, so at this rate it might be time for Stellaris version 2.0 before we have to worry about that. Hopefully not, but we'll see.

Chapter 3: Knowledge, Labor, Piracy
October 2203 - July 2205

On [2 December] the Head of Engineering Research presented the results of the research into the new mining techniques.

AT4n3E8.jpg

It was decided that the next Engineering project would be the development of powered exoskeletons. Bur B’Donag became more productive and efficient on [12 December].

8W83eML.jpg

The corvette SCS D’Soto was laid down on [1 November 2203] and completed on [1 January 2204].

On [25 January], Pud B’Than reported several interesting sensor readings from a debris field orbiting the asteroid R66-328 in the Nemozi system.

itnt5R5.jpg

The T’Derikam was ordered to continue its survey of the Nemozi system, which was completed on [18 March] with the survey of Nemozi IV. When reporting the completion of the Nemozi system survey, Pud B’Than also reported finding an irregular signal similar to a Scyldari distress signal near Nemozi IV before beginning the journey to the Sayhouvis system, where the T’Derikam arrived on [3 April].

JhQvw9j.jpg

The Ehsmyke II research station was completed on [9 May], after which the construction vessel SCS T’Ralsak began moving to the Whaskar system.

SCS T’Tollok, the seventh D’Pollog class corvette, was laid down [9 May] and completed [10 July 2204]. Another corvette was laid down [1 August], and after a vote Vak J’Khanna was selected to act as Governor of Philon’s Port. Despite being thirteen years older than the other candidates, it was thought that Vak’s agrarian upbringing and experience might be more conducive for establishing the new colony than Tan J’Dallot’s scientific interests or Tan B’Scorak’s claims to be in excellent physical condition.

Tdw09zQ.jpg

The Canopus system was surveyed [in late August], shortly before mines on Scyldaria began to be upgraded to make use of the latest mining technology. A laboratory complex was also ordered to begin construction once the mine upgrades were complete.

s0IJRij.jpg

Philon’s Port was established on [1 October 2204], and the colony’s new governor Vak J’Khanna took office in an inauguration ceremony at the T’Ylgar the same day as the commissioning of the eighth D’Pollog-class corvette D’Sagri.

DlzX75Y.jpg

The Sayhouvis system survey was completed [5 December], and the T’Derikam reached the Camglaria system on [29 December 2204].

In [February 2205], the latest mining techniques and technology were deployed on Scyldaria and a new intelligent species was found on Feonus IV. The Hytheans, as these molluscoids apparently called themselves, included bronze metallurgy, irrigation, and various primitive writing systems among their most advanced technologies.

srFh3Vw.jpg

fanatic xenophobe collectivists? Unfortunate.

Cal B’Eren (age 36, born 2169) and several other labor leaders on Scyldaria announced the formation of the Miner’s Union in [late April].

VC1UQmC.jpg

faction members marked in orange

This group of miners and other workers in resource extraction industries had decided to work together to benefit all miners and industrial workers.

Pud B’Than reported in [May] the detection of a small object rapidly orbiting the star Camglaria, but it was decided that surveying the Camglaria system was a higher priority than investigating this anomaly.

qHIWnIg.jpg

On [1 June] the T’Ralsak began construction of a research station in the orbit of the star Whaskar.

On [10 June] a civilian merchant vessel was attacked by a small group of armed ships on the outskirts of the Rantemario system.

1jrWwgE.jpg

This attack fortunately did not result in bloodshed, but it did cause many merchants and space freight companies to begin discussing the possible benefits of arming their ships. This attack occurred within hours of the first posts on the Confederate Interstellar Internet announcing the formation of the “Skull Clan”.

The Confederate Intelligence Service immediately began investigating anything that could be found relating to the Skull Clan, and discussions at the highest levels of government immediately began focusing on the threat. In [early July], warp signatures were detected from unknown vessels heading toward the Ehsmyke system. The 1st Starfleet was dispatched to the Ehsmyke system after the mining and research stations there reported warp signatures and unknown vessels on the outskirts of the system.

"Skull Clan"
aNEtTGn.jpg

Scyldari Confederacy Star Navy: 1st Starfleet, Admiral Pud J'Dallot commanding
YquJZrk.jpg

Last edited:
Should be able to make short work of those pirates

Pirate scum, soon to be obliterated.

stnylan: In my current Utopia/Banks game, I think I only had 6 corvettes to take on the 4 pirate ships - that didn't go quite as well (and, oddly enough, that was with a fanatic militarist and spiritualist state - perhaps not the most accurate roleplay)
Nikolai: Indeed! These renegades will be brought to justice via mass driver.

Chapter 4: A Report After Action
August - November 2205

[2205.11.03]
FROM
: Admiral Pud J’Dallot, Commanding Officer 1st Starfleet
TO: Chief of Staff, Scyldari Confederate Star Navy
SUBJECT: Victory in Ehsmyke system

[1 corvette lost, 4 corvette-class ships destroyed]

SUMMARY
In accordance with orders issued [2205/07/08] by the Office of the Chancellor and the Scyldari Confederate Defense Council, I am pleased to report that a small group of four “Skull Clan” pirate ships has been defeated in the Ehsmyke stellar system. The corvette SCS D’Sagri was lost, but we have been able to rescue the majority of D’Sagri’s crew. The Ehsmyke III mining station attacked by the “Skull Clan” was not destroyed, though it did sustain severe damage.

BACKGROUND
The Ehsmyke system was first surveyed by Science Officer Bur B’Donag commanding the science vessel SCS Y'Kanas from [2201.09.10] to [2202.01.18]. In the early summer of 2205, the Confederate Intelligence Service first identified [Internet] posts proclaiming the existence of the “Skull Clan” and soon thereafter began intelligence-gathering operations. In early July sensors indicated warp signatures similar to existing Scyldari interstellar craft, but not from any currently registered civilian or military vessels, heading toward the Ehsmyke system. The Confederate Defense Forces were put on high alert, the governors of Scyldaria and Philon’s Port were briefed, and all mining and research stations and civilian ships were requested to immediately report any suspicious vessels or activity. On [8 July] the detected warp signatures disappeared from sensors at the Ehsmyke system, and the 1st Starfleet was ordered to the Ehsmyke system to investigate reports of unknown vessels from the mining and research stations in the Ehsmyke system.

ACTION
1st Starfleet arrived in the Ehsmyke system at [2205/08/18 23:00] without incident. As usual, several days had passed since our last communication while traveling in warp, but within minutes of our arrival in system communications were established with the mining station at Ehsmyke III and the research station at Ehsmyke II, and brief status reports were sent to the Star Navy Staff and Confederate Defense Council. Ehsmyke III Station had sent a distress call on [2205/08/04], when the pirates calling themselves the “Skull Clan” first fired on Ehsmyke III station after an initial transmission requested that the mining station stand down and prepare to be boarded. I issued orders for the fleet to prepare for battle as soon as possible.

twFSOYd.jpg

My command engaged the pirates on [1 October]. The pirate ships were named Broken Record, Of Sound Mind, Mishap, and I Didn’t Want This. By the time we engaged the pirates the light defensive weapons of the Ehsmyke III mining station had successfully eliminated the energy shields of and lightly damaged Broken Record, Of Sound Mind, and Mishap. However, the energy shields of I Didn’t Want This remained intact. The mining station’s manager reported it had been heavily damaged and wouldn’t last much longer. Fortunately, we seemed to have arrived just in time to prevent its destruction.

The pirate ships Mishap and I Didn’t Want This were the first to be destroyed. Of Sound Mind was the next pirate ship destroyed, though shortly after it was destroyed the D’Sagri was lost, along with its commanding officer.
ZU0jtGp.jpg

The final pirate ship, the Broken Record, was destroyed a short time later, though its commander, one Cal J’Bassim [file attached] who was apparently the commander of the pirate ‘fleet’, was not found. From the wreckage of the battle, thus far we have been able to rescue 63% of the D’Sagri’s crew. We have also taken some pirates into custody (estimate: 20% of “Skull Clan” ship crews).

CONCLUSION
After a brief ceremony to remember the fallen, I intend to search for the “Skull Clan” base of operations. Thus far we have learned that the pirates have a base in an asteroid belt, but little else. The Nemozi system seems like a good place to start, as the pirates’ warp signatures were originally detected near that system. I feel as if I’ve made history- who expected this to be the first space battle in Scyldari history?

[attachments: list of casualties, 1st Starfleet fuel, ammunition, and supply levels, transcripts of pirate interrogations]

AQig73T.jpg

Not so bad, all things considered. If you can engage them whilst they are still attacking a mining/research station I find the station can provide quite useful support.

Now that their fleet is gone, you should have some time to repair and rebuild before it's neccessary to engage the pirate lair.

Unfortunately, I learned earlier this week that the developer of AlphaMod took the 1.4 version off the Steam Workshop (apparently some people were "taking it for granted" - I have no idea what that means). This does interfere significantly with my plans to finish this game in 1.4 before considering a Utopia/Banks AAR.

Since I only played this particular game to 2213, I'm afraid I'm going to have to restart with Utopia after all. I'll finish this AAR first with the screenshots I have, and think about what I want to do next. Right now, I'm leaning toward a Scyldari AAR in vanilla (or, possibly with the Civilian Trade or More Events mods). In any case, next time I'm planning on playing for a while before starting to write, so if the next DLC comes out or something else interferes, I at least will have more material. Happily, there's only a few more weeks of the semester, so I'll have a lot more free time over the summer.

stnylan: Definitely. Granted, it would be difficult to be defeated by pirates when I'm the one with numerical superiority, but every little bit helps.
Nikolai: That does seem like the more realistic option. Why repair and rebuild when you can charge into battle? (Not a very pacifistic approach, is it?)

Chapter 5: Research and Development
11/2205 - 02/2209

The 1st Starfleet arrived in the Nemozi system [19 days] after Admiral Pud B’Than reported her success to the Star Navy Chief of Staff and [7 days] after departing the Ehsmyke system. The pirate base was detected in the orbit of the asteroid R66-328, and Pud B’Than gave the order to attack.

Cs4YANX.jpg

Before [2205] ended, scientists had finished a design for a solar power module for Scyldaria Spaceport and began working on hardware and software systems to improve productivity, with the goal of allowing scientists to spend more time in the lab and less time with administrative tasks.

uD6tiZ4.jpg

Meanwhile, in the Nemozi system, 1st Starfleet finished preparing for battle and engaged the pirate station at R66-328, which was destroyed after several months of bombardment.

ouM1hv7.jpg

[2206] began with a report on the potential benefits of including recreational facilties on planets and aboard spaceports, as well as a proposal for modular breweries that could be constructed on planetary colonies. The social science research department began developing doctrine for space combat, which included extremely thorough review of data collected from the Confederate Star Navy’s defeat of the Skull Clan ships at Ehsmyke III.

RLQIk5F.jpg

MFDhUKv.jpg

The 1st Starfleet returned to the Scyldaria system [28 April]. In early May the first Powered Exoskeletons were demonstrated and began production for both military and civilian applications.

GYntQaD.jpg

It was decided to begin research into improved nanotechnology, which could lead to research facilities able to specialize in engineering research and development.

fg84Sf0.jpg

Pud B’Than was ordered to investigate the debris of the pirate station in the Nemozi system. and it was found that debris from the pirate ships defeated in the Ehsmyke system, as well as the remnants of the Skull Clan's asteroid base, contained copious data. Somehow the pirates had developed several technologies that the Star Navy had yet to develop or deploy, including energy shielding, enhanced engines, and nanocomposite armor, while anti-missile point defense cannon and other fragments of nanocomposite armor were found were found among the Nemozi debris.

NmwgPyC.jpg

The Governor of Scyldaria began working longer hours and being more productive at this time.
vvKvfYU.jpg

YIzrgtW.jpg

Shortly before the end of the year strange vessels were seen on the edge of the Scyldon system. Investigation of the “Epsilon Aliens” began immediately, though they vanished from real space on [February 1], the same day that a basic hydroponic facility was completed on Philon’s Port. The investigation of the Epsilon Aliens concluded with a report in early May, though no one was sure where the name “Tiyanki” came from.

B81n97Q.jpg

In the Urallion system, unusual craft were reported and code-named Zeta Aliens. A project immediately began to collate data and learn more about the mysterious vessels. Sensors indicated they resembled large crystals.

8kyjteI.jpg

In late August, the Scyldari Confederacy encountered its second known race of intelligent aliens when the Tezekian Protectors contacted Chancellor Dackam directly.

EM2kBAo.jpg

The message was brief, but the Tezekians claimed to be chosen by a higher power, and that any intrusion on their holy places would be met with destruction. Chancellor Dackam replied politely, greeting the Protectors as equals among the stars, but the message had been accompanied by files which, once the religious phrases and citations of Tezekian religious and philosophical texts had been filtered out, claimed that the Tezekians had a long and storied history and were more than capable of destroying the Confederacy with no more than a fraction of their military strength. The Tezekian message also informed Chancellor Dackam that the Tezekian borders were closed to all Scyldari vessels.

In October, the project researching the strange crystalline entities was completed with a report to the Confederate Cabinet, and it was decided to devote some resources to remote observation of the crystals.
u2IEAJQ.jpg

LaElokW.jpg

The improved nanotechnology, and designs for improved engineering research facilities, were developed in June 2208, and Mor J’Bassim immediately began development of ion thrusters for the Star Navy.

G9SMKpC.jpg

On the first day of July, the 2nd Defensive Column began recruitment and training on Philon’s Port, while a research laboratory began construction on Scyldaria.

After the first administrative AI was developed and released on October 2, Vak J’Khanna began developing energy shields.
YtkTwrV.jpg

In August, Pud B’Than had been ordered to investigate a large crater on Folingar V, and by December it was determined that a large asteroid had impacted on the frozen world sometime in the last thousand years, with the result of rich mineral deposits surrounding the impact crater.
WHOcq64.jpg

The last slums on Scyldaria began to be cleared in early December, as a massive public relations and education campaign began to educate and relocate the residents of the area.
Mge8AKJ.jpg

Bur B’Donag reported signs of activity by an ancient civilization on the asteroid BK5-863 in the Zithri system, and orders were given to continue the survey of the Zithri system.
T3bGTrx.jpg

Too basd about the mod issues.:( Will you post a link here when you start a new AAR?

Sometimes issues with mods happen. C'est la vie. As Nikolai says, please post here when the new AAR pops up.

Nikolai: Of course! Anything for a loyal reader.
stnylan: Such is, unfortunately, the computer gaming life. I certainly will post an update here - if nothing else, I already have an idea for the title, and reading various AARs recently has inspired me. I've been thinking about ideas for scenes for future stories, and I've been enjoying my current Utopia game (recently winning an 18-year-long war against some Fanatical Purifiers and taking 4 planets from them), which I've currently played to 2300. I hadn't really planned to write this update and edit these screenshots tonight, but doing so sounded more enjoyable than studying or whatever I *should* be doing.

Chapter 6: Insults and Investigations
03/2209 - 08/2210

Two new D’Pollog-class corvettes were ordered [early March 2209] a few days before Emperor Tabhuk of the Saiiban Autocracy contacted Chancellor Dackam directly. If the translation software could be believed, the Saiiban Emperor was asking if the Chancellor was in great pain, or merely thinking.

8wsn4M5.jpg

It was decided that this was intended as an insult, possibly as an attempt to instigate conflict. Chancellor Dackam decided not to respond directly, though the Saiiban message was briefly mentioned near the end of that day's daily press conference- “Earlier today Chancellor Dackam received a message from the Saiiban Emperor, and we look forward to continuing close relations with our Saiiban friends.”

Of course, anyone who followed current events knew that the Saiibans had closed their borders to Scyldari ships. It wasn’t exactly advertised, but the Autocracy rarely communicated with the Confederacy. There were occasional propaganda transmissions touting the benefits of a strong claw guiding the nation to progress and prosperity, and how a single individual making decisions for the good of all was superior to rule by the rabble, but these were mostly ignored by Scyldari society. The Confederate Intelligence Service and various scholars viewed these transmissions with some interest, though.

Y0wVmdN.jpg

Bur B’Donag, commanding SCS Y’Kanas, was already known as one of the Confederacy’s preeminent living scientists, but this was reinforced with the publication of a paper describing an improved data analysis algorithim with applications both in the field and in the laboratory. This particular paper was published while the Y’Kanas was surveying the Zithri system.

In early May the D'Pollog-class corvette SCS Y'Parga was completed and commissioned into the Confederate Star Navy, followed (in July) by the SCS D'Rila. The Confederate Star Navy announced new doctrine based on analysis of data from Admiral Pud J’Dallot’s defeat of the Skull Clan pirates at Ehsmyke III and the destruction of the Skull Clan station in the Nemozi system.

VFdIrtO.jpg

It was believed that this innovation would allow the Confederacy to support more ships, if further naval expansion was desired. The Society Research Department’s next assignment was to investigate the possibility of training diplomats for negotiations with alien races.

URmBlGT.jpg

It was hoped that the next alien race encountered would be more friendly than the Tezekians or the Saiibans.

Pud B’Than reported that the SCS T’Derikam had found ancient geothermal extractors on Nemozi I.

bxhO8jD.jpg

The immense machines were on the verge of shutting down, and their storage capacitors were broken or leaking, but Pud B’Than did report that it was possible to siphon some energy from the ancient machinery.

The distress signal that had been detected near Nemozi IV proved to be from a derelict ship orbiting the planet. It seemed to be drifting, and no heat signatures were detected.
Rnztc0V.jpg

Pud B’Than was given permission to investigate, and reported that the crew had been found dead. The crew appeared to have been killed by a brain parasite, but Pud B’Than’s findings allowed the crew of the T’Derikam, and eventually other ships, to be protected.
iRqP7JG.jpg

After investigating the asteroid BK5-863, Bur B’Donag reported that it appeared that the Irassian military had constructed a small listening post inside the asteroid.

fWjzJu5.jpg

None of the sensors aimed at neighboring systems were still functioning, and it appeared that the listening post had already been looted at least once in the past. Bur B’Donag was uncertain about the capability to further investigate the outpost, so further investigation of the asteroid was postponed until the knowledge or skill required existed.

yaWWGXw.jpg

On [01/01/2210] the campaign to elect a new Chancellor of the Confederacy began.
JowPwDv.jpg

Four candidates announced their intent to run - Chancellor Dackam, Cal B’Eren, Mor J’Khanna, and Gan J’Bassim. Dackam was already widely known as the incumbent and enjoyed support on both Scyldaria and Philon's Port, but the other candidates weren’t as well known. Cal B’Eren was president of the Miner’s Union (the second-largest group of supporters after Dackam's), Mor J’Khanna was an officer in the Confederate Army whose candidacy was supported by a small group on Philon's Port who called themselves the Loyalist Bloc, and Gan J’Bassim, a scientist from the private sector whose few supporters on Scyldaria called themselves the Moderates. Dackam and Cal B’Eren supported the expansion of off-world mining, while Mor J’Khanna and Gan J’Bassim instead campaigned on a promise to increase funding for scientific research by constructing more orbital research facilities.

973GSvd.jpg

Initial polls suggested that the four candidates had a nearly equal chance of winning the election, despite Mor J’Khanna and Gan J’Bassim having very few supporters and Dackam and Cal B’Eren having the most name recognition and support. Shortly after the campaign began and Dackam announced her intent to seek re-election, her supporters funded an influential ad campaign citing her experience and interests in colonization and agriculture as reasons why she was the best candidate for Chancellor. This had quite an effect in the polls- the other three candidates lost some supporters, and Dackam became the popular favorite.

mqJIXyW.jpg

Polling results in early 2210

The other candidates tried to compete with their own campaign advertisements and in the debates, but they were unable to muster more than 20% of support in the opinion polls for the remainder of the election.

E7j3ZFl.jpg

Shortly after the beginning of the 2210 election campaign, Mor J’Bassim, Confederate Head of Engineering Research, published a paper on increasing the efficiency and productivity of research and development.

Pud B’Than investigated the ruins that had been found on Vilcot’s Pursuit (Scyldon II), and concluded that the structures had been misdated, and that they appeared to be some kind of playground.
msrGhED.jpg

monthly society and engineering income on left for comparison purposes

As expected, after the three month campaign season Dackam was re-elected as Chancellor of the Scyldari Confederacy with approximately 39% of the vote (compared to her three challengers, who each earned about 20% of the vote).

aha6Me6.jpg

The next day, Head of Engineering Research Mor J’Bassim presented the ion thrusters the Engineering Research Department had been developing.
8LJiPSR.jpg

Mor J’Bassim’s next assignment was developing a plan to expand and improve Scyldaria Spaceport, which might one day be used as a model for a spaceport orbiting Philon’s Port, and possibly even other planets.

2kfxnKN.jpg

Pud B’Than was ordered to investigate an ancient vessel with a solar sail that had been found orbiting Whaskar III during Bur B’Donag’s survey of the Whaskar system in September 2202. A couple days later Bur B’Donag was ordered to investigate a station that had been found near Whaskar VIIIa.

On July 1, Chancellor Dackam signed into law new regulations for safer working conditions for industrial workers that the Miner’s Union had proposed and supported.
pyd5SzR.jpg

The new regulations had passed in a referendum. The same day, the mining and research stations in the Ehsmyke system reported sighting a Saiiban ship, though the ship hadn’t replied to the stations’ attempts at contact.
j1BaBEr.jpg

Long-range sensors indicated the vessel was similar to the science vessels Y’Kanas and T’Derikam, and an intercepted communication revealed the ship was the SAS Brisk Plumage, commanded by a Saiiban particle physicist named Tryykad.

While some thought that there was nothing wrong with letting the Saiibans survey in Scyldari space if they wanted to, the predominant viewpoint on the Confederate Defense Council was that this ship might be in Scyldari space for an intelligence mission. It was decided that the Saiiban Autocracy would henceforth be considered a rival of the Scyldari Confederacy. Chancellor Dackam contacted Emperor Tabhuk personally to protest the incursion and warn of the potential consequences of further unauthorized entry into Scyldari space. As Chancellor Dackam would report to the Defense Council, Emperor Tabhuk did not seem intimidated.

0ejFBXb.jpg

Last edited:
Blasted Saiibans! :mad:

I must admit, sometimes the insults are quite funny, but I do think Paradox needs to add more of them.