HOI4 Hydra 1.7.1 BETA hotfix [checksum: 87c8]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Andy Gainey

Sergeant
Paradox Staff
Sep 26, 2017
andygainey.com
We unfortunately had an uncomfortably amount of instability in 1.7, especially out-of-syncs (OOS) as discussed in this week's Dev Diary.

In addition to a couple of crash fixes, we have a fix for one OOS that we think was common in 1.7, so we're putting out an open beta. But there's still at least one other OOS that we are tracking down and haven't yet solved, so we'll keep poking at that beast next week and update the open beta as we make progress.

Why beta patch and should you download it:
We do open beta patches to make sure we get a lot of testing and catch new issues before a patch goes live.
So, if you know how to use beta patches and dare to live a little dangerously (I wouldn't attempt ironman on this build tbh in case it ruins your save), and would love to help then check this out. I am not going to promote this patch outside the forum because, well, its beta and not fully supported. If you run into problems, just roll back to default version.

So to make stuff super clear:
This is BETA. meaning we haven't even QA tested all the things ourselves.
Its here so we get help with that and can release a real patch faster and in a better shape.
It could all crash and burn, if that is scary just keep playing 1.7 and let others help with BETA testing.

Patchlog:
- When resyncing, a player's observer status and observed nation are maintained, and hotjoin will honor the observer selection from the lobby.
- Fixed a rare CTD when going back to main menu from within a game.
- Fixed a CTD related to carriers in combat.
- Fixed an out-of-sync caused by volunteer division moving over water when the recipient country barely has enough convoys free for the transfer.

Update 2019-06-19
##################################
# Balance
##################################
- Lowered scaling of defense stat to 2.5% per level from 5%
- Reduced org loss when moving from offensive doctrine field marshal trait
- Increased planning speed bonus from fast planner field marshal trait to 25% from 10%
- Added breakthrough modifier to aggressive assaulter field marshal trait
- Reduced attack bonuses in cavalry leader trait from 15% to 10%
- Reduced infantry defense bonus from infantry leader trait from 15% to 10%
- Reduced terrain penalty reduction from adaptable trait from 50% to 30%
- Increased acclimatization to cold factor in winter expert trait from 20% to 40%
- Reduced attack bonus on rivers from engineer trait from 10% to 5%
- Reduced defense bonus of panzer expert trait from 15% to 10%
- Reduced cavalry defense bonus to 10% from 15% and removed attack bonus in cavalry expert trait
- Reduced attack bonus vs forts to 15% from 20% in fortress buster trait
- Reduced infantry attack bonus from 15% to 10% in infantry expert trait
- Reduced entrenchment bonus from 10 to 5 in the ambusher trait
- Reduced supply consumption marshal trait from 20% to 15%
- Reduced out of supply factor on commando trait from 50% to 25%
- Increased dig in speed from guerrilla fighter trait from 25% to 50%
- Fixed the naval module speed penalties for depth charges, aircraft launcher, and mine sweeper which were 10 times larger than intended.

Update 2019-06-24 (checksum 87c8)
- Gave all 1936 ship hulls a tier 2 engine as default.
- Increased AI weights for UK building convoys
- Increased starting convoys for USA from 400 to 500

So how do I get this?
1. In Steam right click the game in the list of games and pick Properties
2. Go to the Betas tab
3. In the drop-down select 1.7.1_beta (if it doesn't appear you might have to restart Steam)
4. Close Properties. Steam should now queue up an update and will display the game in the list as Hearts of Iron IV [1.7.1_beta]
5. If all went well the last bit of the version number in launcher should match the one mentioned in this thread title - which should be the correct checksum
6. Once we go official you can just remove the beta branch and go back to main by doing this again and selecting "NONE - opt out of all beta programs"

If this seems even a little bit complicated just skip it and wait for patch to become official.

Other notes:
- Should be savegame compatible with 1.7

Last edited:
Will there be a patch to fix bugs as well? For example, ideology boost no longer slows down after reaching certain popularity.

Will there be a patch to fix bugs as well? For example, ideology boost no longer slows down after reaching certain popularity.

And along with this, please fix civil wars for small nations. Fighting black flag British Malaya with no land or having a "Nigerian civil war" that removes the ability to switch ideology and otherwise does basically nothing isn't ideal. It damages the decision making that goes into whether to do civil wars vs referendum.

Most of the team is already busy working on the next big thing, so we don't want to disrupt their flow on that. And the OOS is the trickiest item that we definitely want to fix for 1.7.1, so we're focusing on that as our first priority, to be sure we get it nailed before the summer break.

We'll probably get at least a few other fixes in, though, including some balance stuff.

Most of the team is already busy working on the next big thing, so we don't want to disrupt their flow on that. And the OOS is the trickiest item that we definitely want to fix for 1.7.1, so we're focusing on that as our first priority, to be sure we get it nailed before the summer break.

We'll probably get at least a few other fixes in, though, including some balance stuff.
Please fix the major bugs reported in the bug report forum (decryption bug, US AI dont fighting the japanese etc) to make our summer battles more enjoyable

Please fix the major bugs reported in the bug report forum (decryption bug, US AI dont fighting the japanese etc) to make our summer battles more enjoyable

Yeah crash fixes/decryption/permanent civil wars against nations that don't exist/impossible to catch certain naval actions/front line edit not working seem way more important at this point than attempting balance fixes in a hotfix patch.

Same for supply only counting sometimes, which is doubly annoying right now because save/reloading even the same day will CTD very often if you're played a while. So you have to choose between encircled enemies receiving supply or restarting the game. Multiple times per game.

We unfortunately had an uncomfortably amount of instability in 1.7, especially out-of-syncs (OOS) as discussed in this week's Dev Diary.

In addition to a couple of crash fixes, we have a fix for one OOS that we think was common in 1.7, so we're putting out an open beta. But there's still at least one other OOS that we are tracking down and haven't yet solved, so we'll keep poking at that beast next week and update the open beta as we make progress.

Why beta patch and should you download it:
We do open beta patches to make sure we get a lot of testing and catch new issues before a patch goes live.
So, if you know how to use beta patches and dare to live a little dangerously (I wouldn't attempt ironman on this build tbh in case it ruins your save), and would love to help then check this out. I am not going to promote this patch outside the forum because, well, its beta and not fully supported. If you run into problems, just roll back to default version.

So to make stuff super clear:
This is BETA. meaning we haven't even QA tested all the things ourselves.
Its here so we get help with that and can release a real patch faster and in a better shape.
It could all crash and burn, if that is scary just keep playing 1.6 and let others help with BETA testing.

Patchlog:
- When resyncing, a player's observer status and observed nation are maintained, and hotjoin will honor the observer selection from the lobby.
- Fixed a rare CTD when going back to main menu from within a game.
- Fixed a CTD related to carriers in combat.
- Fixed an out-of-sync caused by volunteer division moving over water when the recipient country barely has enough convoys free for the transfer.

So how do I get this?
1. In Steam right click the game in the list of games and pick Properties
2. Go to the Betas tab
3. In the drop-down select 1.7.1_beta (if it doesn't appear you might have to restart Steam)
4. Close Properties. Steam should now queue up an update and will display the game in the list as Hearts of Iron IV [1.7.1_beta]
5. If all went well the last bit of the version number in launcher should match the one mentioned in this thread title - which should be the correct checksum
6. Once we go official you can just remove the beta branch and go back to main by doing this again and selecting "NONE - opt out of all beta programs"

If this seems even a little bit complicated just skip it and wait for patch to become official.

Other notes:
- Should be savegame compatible with 1.7

Probably should sticky this thread until the beta is over.

Can you please consider making the next big thing fixing bugs that you just introduced during the five days of 1.7 beta? There are a slew of them that are unbalancing the game to the point of breaking it.

Hi Andy, I want to see more bugfixes, until I am ready to pay for the next big thing. In fact the whole game is becoming overly complex and would benefit much more from some bugfixes and some competent AI rather than even more features, the AI is not able to use.

The next big thing always introduces additional bugs.

Please consider 'continuous improvement' - dedicate *some* resources to continuously fix bugs in the latest live version.

You don't want to disrupt their flow on it, instead you want them to build on top of horrible bugs and then cause even more?

Logic/10

I'd rather have a near bug free game than how the game currently is over the next "big thing". I appreciate the work, but feel the priorites aren't straight.

As of now all ships have the incorrect engine and armour stats, AI still invades provinces with no port and for whatever reason Soviets don't field medium tanks depsite prodcing thousands of them in stockpile.

Repeat a bug often enough and it becomes the feature. :D
Thus, eventually, it will be bug free.

I think it's absurd to introduce new features when the game is so far from being smooth. IMO, you should focus yourselves on balancing and fixes BEFORE introducing new stuffs, but i'm a peasant and i'm definitely wrong. But i hope that other peasants like me will make understand you with sales and rewiew (how is happening with IR... >70% negative rewiews of an empty box).

Quick question at Paradox:

is the naval_speed modifier for Minesweeping, Depth Charges and Floatplanes, aswell the base torpedo reveal chance just a typo with a factor 10, or do you want to have the values changes in this direction, and only will dial it back partly since the values are to high as they are?

Because just removing a typo seems trivial, but rebalancing tests can take alot of time. For now I "corrected" the values to be more in line how we would expect them to be (torpedo base reveal chance = 0.4 instead of 0.04, naval_speed = -0.01 for the shipmodules instead of -0.1)