HOI4 Anniversary Diary (and Free DLC)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Hi everyone! but wait?! this isn't Wednesday? Indeed its not, its the one year anniversary of the release of HOI4!

HOIAnniversaryPack-KeyArt-1K-v1.5.jpg

To thank everyone who has been playing the game the last year we figured we wanted to give something out, even though Death or Dishonor is right around the corner. So once the build was done, and the team jumped on prep work for the next thing and 1.4.1, our awesome artist made you guys a bunch more non-historic portraits (fighting the good fight against clone army). As well as more custom division symbols to pick from. We also got a cool surprise when a member of the community contacted us about helping out with Polish troop voice overs (our resident team pole is on parental leave which was our original plan!). They sound super nice and its always cool to have members of community to come buy the office for stuff like this :) On release we also gave out the free DLC "United and Ready" that was focused on Poland to everyone, so we felt this was a fitting followup.

steam_anniversary_04.jpg

steam_anniversary_03.jpg

DLC should automatically show up under DLC>Content>Anniversary Pack (might need to restart steam). More info and details on the DLC page here.

First year in hindsight
Since we released HOI4 the game has has had 8 patches and 1 DLC. The second DLC (Death or Dishonor) is coming on Wednesday next week together with the 1.4 "Oak" Update.
Some people may have been at PDXCon and seen my presentation, but I figure now might be a good time to to show some of that here too (the presentation also went over future plans, but thats a diary for later).

First up playbase growth is really nice, we broke 500k earlier this year and it just keeps going up as you can see:
upload_2017-6-6_14-59-39.png

Playerbase is cool and all, but the numbers I care about the most is active players actually playing the game and HOI4 has a really solid community there:
upload_2017-6-6_15-17-43.png

A "normal" game would just have that first spike and then head straight down, but our aim is to keep people playing with patches, dlc releases and mod support and grow amount of active players more and more over time (looking at graph we broke active player record several times since release numbers).

Speaking of mod support, mods have been a massive hit for Hearts of Iron IV. 60% of players use some kind of mod (although the most common stuff is things like colored buttons, or extra names for equipment), but what really makes me happy is how popular the big mods are: Millennium Dawn, The Great War, Kaiserreich and Road to '56 are all very popular and have daily playing numbers between 8-20%.

Its also really interesting to see what nations people play the most and this is one of the things we use to decide what nations to focus on in the future (the other are how relevant they were for the war and if they have interesting positions/opportunities). Early on Italy was the king for a few days (tutorial nation), and after that Germany has taken over. Here are the current numbers:
upload_2017-6-6_15-42-51.png

Overall a number that hasn't really changed much is majors vs minors. its gone from about 35% to 39%. We feel pretty comfortable with it there. (the DoD nations are not on the list since it was intended to be part of "Where are we going in the future" of the PDXCon presentation and numbers will change a lot with DLC release. They sit around Turkey level though, except Czechoslovakia obviously ;) ).

That is almost it from me today, but I figured I'd show a cool thing coming with the release next week:
upload_2017-6-6_16-1-45.png

Yup, the MXY7 Ohka,rocket powered human-guided anti-shipping kamikaze attack aircraft (phew) now gets custom art and works again with the new air interface (we broke it in 1.2 if I remember correctly so it wouldn't launch).

See you tomorrow again for a regular diary. That one is gonna be a bit of a mix (axis subject levels, AI & Balance, UI improvements etc) as we cover all the bits and pieces left before the final diary drops just before release with the full patchlog.

Last edited:
New generic portraits? Thank the lord.

Yup, the MXY7 Ohka,rocket powered human-guided anti-shipping kamikaze attack aircraft (phew) now gets custom art and works again with the new air interface (we broke it in 1.2 if I remember correctly so it wouldn't launch).

Nice one! More portraits to the people.

Will the mission result in manpower loss for each aircraft? It's a bit counter-intuitive that air-losses doesn't affect MP and especially so for kamikaze attacks.
Not that the air losses would ever reach any game-relevant levels in comparison with land-based manpower or total manpower but it's a bit of an irking immersion issue.

I havent played the game in 8 months but this is nice to see from the devs.

Maybe i'll pick it up again.

Is there OOB yet and does the AI still send its entire army to the Sahara?

Sweet!

(But did he really come to buy the office???)

Thank the Maker! I've only got the two Polish achievements left to do, so I get home from work log onto Steam to play as Poland only to find I've got some new additional voiceovers!

Edit - I'm having trouble getting Ironman working today, so no achievements. Is this to do with the update?

Last edited:
Portraits are good, but why you didn't apply them to country leaders? You could change some areas with duplicated portraits like Baltic states as temporary solution.

Well this is a nice surprise. I haven't played the game in months I might try another game or wait until DOD. I just hope DOD will finally fix the game...

before, the Ohka was set to "interceptor" aircraft type, and could not perform kamikaze strikes, as those were only available to "fighter" aircraft types.

changing it to fighter solved that issue, but there was another slight issue...
E938840B8ADFD7C5307E650F22425A4C791E7108

I havent played the game in 8 months but this is nice to see from the devs.

Maybe i'll pick it up again.

Is there OOB yet and does the AI still send its entire army to the Sahara?
It appears they used the No Mans Land technique to keep units out of the Sahara.

No OOB to my knowledge, not sure what that is since HOI4 is the first HOI game I got in to. I know conceptually it is who attacks what, when. Don't know what mechanic you would use to do that with though. Almost makes me want to purchase HOI3 just so I can see it in action, see if I like it or not.

Last edited:
It appears they used the No Mans Land technique to keep units out of the Sahara.

No OOB to my knowledge, not sure what that is since HOI4 is the first HOI game I got in to. I know conceptually it is who attacks what, when. Don't know what mechanic you would use to do that with though. Almost makes me want to purchase HOI3 just so I can see it in action, see if I like it or not.

It's a form of organization for armies. Divisions are formed into Corps, Corps into Armies, Armies into Army Groups, Army groups into Theaters. Each level has a commanding officer, who's skill affects certain stats. It was very complex in HoI 3 and not very intuitive (or indeed easy to work with even if you understood what you were doing), so it was toned down massively for the HoI 4 release until we could find a way to make it work with the new systems.