• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 42: The Eve of Destiny (May 3, 1942)

From the personal journal of Giovanni Messe:

I had drafted the orders and had examined them again and again, looking for flaws. There were many. The build-up of German forces along the Belgian border had frightened me into stationing out best and most experienced there and the German concentration led to our own concentration, thus leaving a big gap in the line that I hoped we would be able to overcome. We needed to reach Berlin before the Germans could redirect their armies fighting in the Soviet Union to come back. I felt like we had enough troops to succeed but I still wasn’t crazy about how they were deployed. Time would prevent us from changing that on the eve of the attack.

Under Field Marshall Frattini,commanding Army Group France, General Amedeo Duca degli Abruzzi commanded the First Army which had 214,000 men ready for action. I, II, III, IV Army Corps along with the Light armoured corps (of 5 Div X 2 LARM, 1 MOT, 1 TD) which would attack through the western part of France, sealing the coast before our Garrison troops could take over and barricade the Atlantic coast.

Second Army, under General Guzzoni, had another 214,000 men and would attack from the southern half of the Maginot line down through former Swiss, Austrian and Hungarian territory. In the theatre (although under separate command) were 10 militia divisions (which would be upgraded to regular infantry after this offensive) plus a few garrison divisions just to make sure there were no gaps in the line. 2nd Army had XI, XII, XIII and XIV infantry corps and II Armoured Corpps under General Pirzio Biroli with three medium armoured divisions and two heavy armoured divisions, all upgraded to mechanized infantry and with Tank Destroyers.

General Beraudo di Pralormo’s 4th Army had 190,000 men with probably the toughest job of all: to take Berlin and hold off the German army in the eastern reaches of our borders. The reason this Army was so undermanned was due to our intelligence which foresaw a greater concentration of German forces in Belgium. Unfortunately, this was going to force our armoured and mechanized troops to push north and head east to assist once their primary missions have been achieved. The armoured corps attached to the 4th Army only had three combat ready divisions.

Third Army was garrisoning the south of France and upgrading to motorized infantry in order to form a quick response force against any possible American invasion attempt.

I went through my staff’s reports as we prepared for the biggest test we’ve encountered yet.

The first report on my desk was that of the procurement and training departments. We were currently training another airborne division (to be finished at the end of July) to replace the one captured in Belfast, men and material for six self-propelled artillery brigades (to be ready in June), three mechanized “divisions” that would link up with the already trained and constructed armour brigades as well as the self-propelled artillery to form divisions of ARM (Heavy or Medium), MECH, TD, SPART. The last of these divisions would be complete at the end of September. Five Garrison divisions were under construction (2X GAR, 1X AA, 1X ART) and were expected to take their place in Belgium, the Netherlands or Northern Germany. Finally, two of our more experienced infantry brigades were getting trucks for faster movement while one of their artillery brigades was also getting some propulsion of its own. also under construction was a rocket test site, two carriers (to be completed in September) and four light cruisers.

While all of this was under construction, we had a huge backlog of improvements thanks to our research departments. Before undergoing additional construction projects, we may very well dedicate more resources into producing more upgrades for already existing troops equipment.

Our research department was nearing the completion of a couple of technologies. May was expected to bring a new set of doctrines for our Militia and Garrison troops while June would bring the development of a tactical command structure.

After reviewing the reports, I took a deep breath. I picked up the phone and called my top commanders and said “Execute.” I placed the phone back on the hook and exhaled. There was no turning back now.

Hey, I did it! An update! Apologies for inconsistencies in formatting. They've changed the forums since my last post.

Hurray! Once for having an update and another for the start of a new campaign!
I'm surprised by the prediction of more German troops in Belgium. I hope the 4th army is strong enough to hold off the inevitable massive counterstrike by the German army on the eastern front beause that is where I'd expect the most trouble.

Glad to see this back in action, good luck!

Give those miserable pretend fascists what for and reclaim Germania for the SPQR!

There will be new update probably tomorrow. Full disclosure: I've had to go back to the DOW against Germany to replay about 13 days. The fault was that, way back when, when I played those 13 days, I didn't take particularly detailed notes and now I can't remember what really happened. So there it is.

DOW actually moves forward a day to May 4 and the next update will take us to about May 9.

EDIT: One more apology. The game is displaying some counters as being blurry. I've tried to fix that but nothing I can do is working. Nothing else has corrupted about the game, however. Just some blurry counters.

Last edited:
Part 43: Shots Fired (May 3 - 9, 1942)

I thought about waiting for General Martinat’s 3rd Infantry Division to reach Rachov but they were having a very rough go through the mountains and wouldn’t arrive until the 10th of May. I ordered them back a town where they would board a train for Rachov, disembark and hope that they could play a defensive role at the Eastern-most point in the line.

In addition to our main units, our Special Corps was preparing to embark on transports to invade Northern Germany and take control of the Kiel Canal to access the Baltic.

24 hours later, it was time. The offensive was ordered to begin and we all said a little prayer that we would have enough time before the Germans brought their full army to bear.

We hadn’t noticed that the Germans had a couple of headquarters with an infantry division parked in Scotland. We certainly didn’t have any reports of it but they must have been conducting observational exercises. Cut off from supply, they would not be very much of a nuisance and our garrison, cavalry and militia units in the British Isles would be more than capable of subduing a bunch of Germans with nothing but utility knives and pebbles.

Our Marines launched their assault on Hamburg and were quickly gaining purchase against the German defenders. Our progress in Altenberg was slow and we were getting hit hard in Uzharod but we launched some other offensives to try to take the pressure off General Lorezelli’s 6th Infantry Division.

We were also attempting to take air superiority in certain locations (over Altenberg and Brussels) so that we could unleash our tactical bombers to support our troops. Getting reports from our rather unprepared squadron leaders based out of Czech territory, that our pilots were getting overwhelmed by the specifically trained interceptor fleets of the Germans, I disengaged our fighters over Altenberg to repair and recover.

Our fighter pilots were better prepared from their bases in France and were holding their own in sorties against the Germans over Brussels. Our land troops would catch up shortly and rob the Germans of some of their Belgian airbases.

More than a day after launching the offensive, our armies were moving slowly and very little ground had been actually taken. Hamburg finally fell to our troops on the May 7 and two Garrison divisions were offloaded now that we had taken the port. Our logistics division in Rome made arrangements for supplies to be convoyed to Hamburg from Calais and our fleet took up position around the channel to ensure safe delivery.

In an effort to turn our Eastern line more northward to keep the Germans east, we attacked Nowy Sacz while our counteroffensive in Drohobycz fell short, ending with 1375 of our own troops dead with just 631 of the Germans suffering the same fate.

After a few days of fighting things were going reasonably well. We were finding some tough going against the German troops in one-to-one divisional combat but they weren’t impossible to defeat. We were unlikely to face all that many divisions for a while and our western troops will charge as hard as they can to help out those in the east.

Part 44: A Race Against Time (May 9 - 16, 1942)

By early morning on the 9th of May, we started our assault on the major port of Antwerp. Its strong fort was being held and we assigned some extra units to try to give them an extra push.

By mid-day on the 9th of May, we had won the battle at Altenberg and our armoured divisions were meeting no resistance after crossing the Rhine. Maj.-General Crea’s 1st Medium Armoured Division was ordered to Frankfurt while Balisti’s 52nd Division “Torino” was ordered to Stuttgart. The whole corps (II Armoured Corps) under Lt.-General Pirzio Biroli would then be sent northeast to Dresden to support the part of the 4th Army’s push to Berlin.

American planes were spotted and we would need to find and crush any bases for the US fighters.

We had noticed that the Germans were pulling back from the eastern end of the line and moving west but, unfortunately, we didn’t have the strength there to pursue or even move our lines very much further into German territory.

On the 12th of may, I intervened with naval patrols to order two Carrier groups to the Helgoland Blight in order to commence bombing of Segeberg and Stade. The Marines were having a great deal of trouble breaking out of Hamburg and the Germans were sending more divisions to box them in. The worst part was that we didn’t have any spare divisions to launch in another landing to relieve the pressure. Our troops in Belgium and, soon, the Netherlands would need to move quickly to relieve them from outside.

May 13th: 1st Med. Armoured Div hits some resistance in a Garrison division in Frankfurt. The Germans were fighting hard against units supplied with their own Panzer IIIs but right now, our troops were hard up against it.

Seeing German troops streaming west, I ordered General Lisi’s XIV Infantry Corps to block the gap in the line in Czech territory. A further five infantry division should be enough to close the gap and enable the troops closest to Berlin to begin moving north.

By the 16th of May, the German units were streaming west with at least two armoured divisions spotted among the enemies. We still hadn’t hit a cohesive mass of German troops but we knew that they were out there and I had slowed the march of our armour to allow the infantry units to catch up, allowing for a more cohesive line as we moved east to meet the Germans. With little resistance in Belgium, our troops were slowly moving up the coast towards and into the Netherlands.

are you worried the soviets will attack you once they defeat Germany and can you upload a map of Europe showing your conquest?

is Romania your puppet or soviets?

Worried about Soviets? Yes. Germany was making big inroads into the Soviet Union but I have a feeling most of that territory will be given back before we get them to surrender.

I'll show a map in the next update.

Romania is my puppet.

Part 45: Running out of Individual Titles (May 16 - 23, 1942)

We were finally able to use our tactical bombers, sending them to Frankfurt to assist our assault.

La Ferla’s 1st Division “Eugenio di Savola” was thrown into the fight in Frankfurt as well and the balance was starting to tip the our way. With the 33rd “Acqui” Division scheduled to arrive in Darmstadt by the 17th we would be able to commit another division to the battle.

In the Hamburg region, our troops were getting boxed in. A fresh division was sent to Neumunster which thwarted our Marines’ assault and they were ordered to stay in Hamburg and rest.

On the 17th, our XIV Corps was almost in position but our scouts told us that a German armoured division was heading for Ratibor. We decided to send a division each to Opava and Jesenik to take advantage of the fortresses there as well as surround the German armour to repell them across the Odra river.

After short battles, the Germans were probing our lines for weakness. Things were getting tense as we hoped that we could get the mass of troops from the south and west moving faster.

After another attack in Bochnia, it was decided that, since we had two divisions stationed in Nowy Sacz, one would be used to attack the German 30th division.

The German 227. Division beat our 26th to Weiden and now we were fighting a battle there. Without any reinforcements, it would be a still test of General Nicolosi’s skill as a commander.

On the 18th, the German armoured division had arrived in Ratibor with all but one of our surrounding divisions in place. The 7th division was on trains to Jesenik to make sure to have the armour surrounded before we could start an attack to repel them.

(the 7th division eventually arrived)

To very little fanfare, our troops finally won the battle to take Frankfurt, robbing the Germans of a large industrial base. While the 1st Medium Armoured Division would be able to rest and get replacements, the rest of the troops would continue moving east.

While the attackers had called off their attacks in Hamburg and Bochnia, there was a solid German line prepared opposite us along (what was once) the Czech Polish border.

Fuel shortages were keeping the 52nd “Torino” division and the 19th Piave division from reaching their full speed as they sought to surround a garrison division in Schweinfurt.

Overall, the Germans were showing much more resistance as we get further from the invasion. Two and a half weeks in, the Germans are fortifying their lines and making things tough for our strung out troops in the east while fuel and supply shortages were making things difficult further west.

Despite that, some major wins were in our corner by the 23rd with the battles for Rotterdam and Amsterdam won. In general, we weren't outclassed in one-on-one combat with our divisions and when the bulk of our forces get futher west and north, we should be able to overrun the German defenses.

where's the german army?

Also, will you fight the communists in the future?

Make the Mediterranean Mare Nostrum! :D Conquer all the lands of the roman empire and beyond!

Trajan's%20Rome%20750pix.jpg

Reactions:
Momentum and surprise have carried your armies deep into German territory, but now it has become a race against the Soviets to see who can grab the most land from the collapsing Germans. I wonder who will come out on top in this approach to a Cold War.

any plans to conquer turkey or what left of French Africa or Syria to unite your empire by land?

In many ways, I think it's more trouble than it's worth. In addition, my reasoning for not conquering Turkey is that, if I do go up against the Soviets, a shorter border will minimize their massive troop/manpower advantage.

where's the german army?

Also, will you fight the communists in the future?

Make the Mediterranean Mare Nostrum! :D Conquer all the lands of the roman empire and beyond!

German army is streaming back from the east. In my next update (maybe on Tuesday or Wednesday), you'll see what's going on.

Will I fight the communists? Depends on how courageous General Messe is.

Great map!

Momentum and surprise have carried your armies deep into German territory, but now it has become a race against the Soviets to see who can grab the most land from the collapsing Germans. I wonder who will come out on top in this approach to a Cold War.

Yep. Supply and being able to get our troops east will be the deciding factor. I'm close to Berlin and actually at about 55% surrender progress. The problem is that I don't think that my forces in the area will be able to take Berlin quickly enough to make this a lightning war. It may drag on for a couple more months.

Reactions: