• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
By 1941 Germany's Empire stretched halfway around the world. Only the Soviets opposed them in Europe :

70_map_1941_1_4.png

However, they were not yet able to declare war on the soviets due to the non-aggression pact :

71_no_war.jpg

By the end of April though Germany was able to attack :

72_ready_for_war.jpg

It borders in Europe had a reasonable line of paratroopers along its length :

74_northern_borders.jpg

75_central_borders.jpg

However, as the border goes into Asia German stops placing troops on the border :

76_middle_east_borders.jpg

77_eastern_borders.jpg

German's Transport planes have enough range to drop paratroopers of many of the Soviet's western cities :
78_air_ranges.jpg

79_vp.jpg

So the decision was made to try and conquer the Soviet Empire :

80_conquer.jpg

And so it begins... The fire of the Red revolution shall be extinguished, smothered under a grey blanket of German paratroopers.

By the way, what's that Soviet province in Finland? Is that a FtM feature?

Germany was ready to jump over large portions of Western Russia from day #1. In the north they had 94 divisions (188 brigades) ready to jump from airfields. In the central area they had 11 divisions in reserve, 62 divisions as the main force. In the south they had 64 divisions. The central area however initially had no transport planes the intention being that once finished the transports from the north would be used to jump the troops in the central area :

81_northern_force.jpg

82_central_reserve.jpg

83_central_force.jpg

84_southern_force.jpg

German troops sat nervously on the sparsely defended border :

85_lightly_guarded_border.jpg

However, immediately after the declaration of war there was no rush forward by either side. From the German point of view the Soviets just seemed to be milling about reorganizing :

86_russian_movements.jpg

87_russian_movements2.jpg

However, German paratroopers were making their jump plans and boarding planes ...

On day two the German paratroopers started landing on their targets :

88_day_2_landings.jpg

89_day_2_landings2.jpg

In the few places where the Soviet attacked the German lines. The Germans retreated :

90_germany_wont_fight.jpg

In a few locations the German's had the superior position though and could afford to attack :

91_unless_they_win.jpg

In the majority of cases the Germans just kept jumping though. Aiming for cities, airfields, any industrial locations and then trying to link up the landing sites :

92_day4.jpg

By day 5 the battle for moscow was raging :

93_day5_moscow.jpg

One slight overslight was that Arkhangelsk in the north was just out of range of any of the jump sites :

94_Arkhangelsk_out_of_range.jpg

Even without Arkhangelsk the soviet troops along the border with Finland were effectively cut off :

95_day5_progress.jpg

The soviet forces were trying desperately to rush back and defend especially trying to fit through the few remaining gaps between German landing sites :

96_day5_rush_for_the_gaps.jpg

The Germans however could get there quicker and started sealing off the Gaps :

97_day6_seal_off_the_north.jpg

More progress was made by day 6 :

98_day6_progress_in_south.jpg

The on day 7 Moscow fell :

99_day7_moscow.jpg

100_day7_moscow2.jpg

Also on day 7 German paratroopers setting off from captured Soviet Airfields started landing further east :

101_second_jump.jpg

Many cities were unguarded but two major cities were still left for the German's to take and both had troops round them. Leningrad :

102_leningrad.jpg

and Stalingrad. Both had to be attacked. By day 9 Stalingrad was surrounded and being attacked :

103_day9_stalingrad.jpg

Unfortunately without support the initial jump into Stalingrad it self failed with the troops having to retreat :

104_day9_stalingrad_battle_lost.jpg

Casualties were low and they managed to retreat into the areas where there was no soviet resistance though. Leningrad on the other hand fell very quickly :

105_day9_leningrad_battle_won.jpg

By day 11 there was not much of worth left to take in the soviet union. A few towns and cities in the east or near the border from the start of the war :

106_day11.jpg

At least some of the cities in the east were not going to be possible to jump on directly from captured airfields :

107_day12_targets_out_of_reach.jpg

Germany kept pushing forward though :

108_day13_targets_getting_closer.jpg

109_day13_territory.jpg

By day 15 there were only a handful of Soviet positions of worth left.

110_day15_nearly.jpg

Any which were in range were attacked even if it seemed a difficult battle :

111_day15_deserate_battle.jpg

Then finally on day 16 the Soviets surrendered :

112_day16_victory.jpg

( Shame it was over two weeks I think if I tried again I could manage it in 14 days or less. )

Mein Gott...

16 days. Color me very impressed. :) It seems that, if you can get your paras in range and you have the time to figure out your strategy (which is a given, considering the option to pause when needed), the battle is over before it has really begun.

Did you even lose any divisions at all?

PS: Thanks for the clarification about Hanko.

holy shit.
that was impresive, i thought you would win for around 2 months then get steamrollered when the SoV's got organised

Awesome job. WC by 1943?

Mein Gott...

16 days. Color me very impressed. :) It seems that, if you can get your paras in range and you have the time to figure out your strategy (which is a given, considering the option to pause when needed), the battle is over before it has really begun.

Did you even lose any divisions at all?

PS: Thanks for the clarification about Hanko.

No divisions lost. I lost a few battles but always had a province to retreat to.

If I could do it again then I would probably :
  • Put even less troops on the European border in general. But put more on the places where they have VP close to border. (Murmansk escpecially)
  • Worry less about making lines to join up zones.
  • Put a few more troops out east at least to guard my VP and possibly to jump on the soviet ones in range.
  • Have at least one if not 2-3 airfields ready to place. (Can't load from them but can land and take off again) To help get the last couple of VP.

In short : Focus even more on the VP. Especially the ones near the border and the ones that are hard to jump to in the east. The main middle part is actually quite easy and the AI is too confused to do much good at all with its armies.

Also worth pointing out that it took several hours (in real time) to play those 15-16 days (in game time). I paused a LOT. I mentioned this before but it really did feel like a turn based game. Let an hour tick by and see what planes I can load on to and jump again.

Good Job :) I think the USSR was the only real challenge and it was nicely done.

However, this is why paratroopers are almost banned from MP games. Unfortunately AI is too slugish to make a single move and as I thought made no offensive. Next time you could leave no troop on the border ;)

Good Job :) I think the USSR was the only real challenge and it was nicely done.

However, this is why paratroopers are almost banned from MP games. Unfortunately AI is too slugish to make a single move and as I thought made no offensive. Next time you could leave no troop on the border ;)

I'll try and come to some sort of conclusion at the end and state why I think paratroopers are over powered and what could be done to make them useful but not devastating.