• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
422519813ec21e8d93629a0c0bdbeb6a.jpg

First Issue of Siraj al-Akhbar, October 1910

Article read by Kazi-ul-Kuzzat Sa'd al-Din at the Id Gah Mosque (and by all Mullahs across the nation) following the Friday sermon, 7 January 1911

The Afghans are the Ten Lost Tribes, by Amir 'Abd al-Rahman Khan (originally published in 1885, republished here for the greater benefit of the Afghan people)

After praise to God and blessings on the Prophet.
O you nation, the inhabitants of Afghanistan, O you the present tribes of this delightful banquet, according to the words of God, "reserve or select a company of yourselves to invite people towards good and command them towards righteousness;" it is, therefore, necessary for the wise men of the age and the sages of nature to conduct the ignorant and wanderers in the desert of uncertainty with good advice into the straight path, and to fulfil the duties of sympathy with their co-tribesmen, which is one of the conditions of Islam: "to be patriotic is a sign of good faith."

I, therefore, bring to the notice of the nobles and commons several sayings for your observance. I hope you will remove the cotton of negligence from your ears and listen to my speech. Should my advice be acceptable to you, act accordingly; if not consider me as one of your tribesmen and think my speech preposterous, and throw it into the field of forgetfulness.

O my tribesmen, it is known to you that you are a noble race and your pedigree is traced from Jacob the prophet. The Creator of mankind treated your ancestors with favor and you are mentioned in the Koran with respect, as follows: "O Children of Israel, remember my benevolence that I have granted unto you, and verily I have exalted you above other creatures."

In the time when the nations of the world and most of the children of Adam were wandering in the wilderness of perversion and were worshipping idols, you were the chosen nation of God, the possessors of the Book, and believed in one God; also you were honored and respected in the whole world.

After the death of Joseph you committed vicious acts and broke the chain of friendship and union among yourselves and became jealous and malicious against each other.

On this account, although you were about six lakhs of
[six hundred thousand] people, you became subordinate to the Copts and the Egyptians, your property was plundered and your male children were massacred by the accursed Pharaoh. Then some of your pious men, having been disgraced beyond measure by that strange nation, awoke from their sleep of negligence and turned the face of supplication towards their Creator. The arrow of their prayers reached the target of response. Then Moses, may peace be on him, was selected from your nation, and by the strength of his prophecy, intellect, and great qualifications he emancipated you from captivity and the slavery of the Copts and the Pharaohs, and selected the provinces of Egypt and Syria for your abode. Manna and quails were sent to you from the secret blessed table and all temporal enjoyments were granted to you.

After that you again forgot the promises of God, and for a time, yielding to the tempting of Saamiri, you worshipped a calf. Another time while fighting against tyrant nations you behaved treacherously to your prophet. Again God poured out his anger on you. Manna and quails and other blessings ceased.
When you started for Syria you were all confused and bewildered in the desert. The distance was not more than two-hundred and fifty miles; this small distance you could not accomplish in forty years.
Moses and Aaron, on account of your thankless behavior, then left you and were free from your evil hearts and your trouble.

You wandered in the desert of perversion until you ceased committing vicious acts and turned the face of refuge towards the threshold of the Creator. Then God selected Yusha' bin Noon (Joshua) from among you, by whose prayers and blessings and acceptance of your repentance you were released from the desert of bewilderment, and by the strength of your arms the tyrant nations were made contemptible and miserable.

You then by reason of your thanksgiving to God, comfortably enjoyed the gardens and buildings of the province of Syria. After a long time you again were conquered by negligence of duty to God, and became idolaters and did not remember to preserve unity. Then God, being wrathful, made a tyrant nation rule over you; they plundered most of your property and killed the rebellious people of your nation, and you, on account of your malice against each other, would not in any way defend yourselves against your enemy.

Eventually you could find no remedy except in repentance, and being feeble and no longer able to endure you hastened towards the Judge for your necessities. He then selected Taaloot (Saul) from among you, who was physically powerful and materially full of intellect, and made him your Amir. And through him all your enemies were defeated, and the standards of your victories were firmly hoisted.
In the time of Solomon when you believed and obeyed God to the best of your knowledge, and when malice and intrigue were cast away from among you, all at once you became rulers over the land and sea, and your orders were obeyed by the demons and fairies.

Then your learned men (ulema) became degraded, and the seeds of jealousy and malice began to sprout in the ground of your hearts, you forgot the blessings of God, and would not listen to your learned men, nor would you take example by your own experiences; you did not respect your chiefs, and did not wipe the rust off
from the mirror of your hearts by the polish of friendship; therefore again the storm of the anger of God confronted you in the image of Bukht-e-Nasir (Nebuchadnezzar); all your property and treasures which you had stored up were plundered by his troops, your men and women were made captives and taken to Babylon, which is now called Bagdad. He destroyed Bait-ul-Makudas, the sacred house, Jerusalem, and drove you from the gardens of Syria, and for a length of time you were captives to the tyrant until he departed to the desert of hell. Then you, leaving the countries of Arabia, came to the hills of Ghor and settled yourselves there.
You were in that country when the mercy of God supported you, and through Kais and the good acts of Khalid bin al-Walid you were ennobled by being converted to Islam.

A very long time after that, by reason of enmity between yourselves, you were like beasts wandering in the hills of Ghor, and were continually plundering each other. In the meantime you were constantly being trampled upon by the horses of the sowars of Ghazni and Ghor, and in the reign of the Persians you used to obey the common Turks, until by the perseverance and efforts of Ahmad Shah Durrani, your malice and alienation were converted into friendship: then you were freed from obedience to strangers.

Through his prosperous luck and suitable deeds on your part, you slumbered in the cradle of safety. You took possession of the provinces of India, the borders of Turkestan, and some parts of Persia, and brought to your own country all the riches of those places, and with it you built new cities and good houses. You continued in the enjoyment of the blessings of God until you again forgot to submit your thanks to God and again became jealous and malicious to each other, and much bloodshed and fighting took place among you. When this ungrateful conduct of yours towards the bounty of God exceeded the utmost limit, the sea of the anger of God began to rise and He sent the British nation from a far and unknown corner of this world to twist your ears, and they inflicted on you all sorts of punishment until smoke rose up from your race and your lamentation and clamors reached the sky. Eventually your prayers were accepted by God; after much opposition and fighting you got released from the hands of such a powerful enemy and twisted the wrist of that brave nation by the force of your daylight prayers and your midnight sighs.

For a long time you slumbered in the cradle of safety and comfort under the shadow of my grandfather. When my noble grandfather, being on expedition against Herat, found the mercy of God (that is, died) and closed his worldly eyes on the administration of the affairs of this earth, my late uncle, the Amir Sher 'Ali Khan, sat on the throne of sovereignty. My noble father, who saw the bad results of enmity, notwithstanding his great influence and position, abstained from malice and animosity, and wrote to him in a friendly way. That unjust man (Sher 'Ali) by way of violence and a perverse mind, imprisoned my father, an act which compelled me to fight him, and I succeeded in releasing my father, and I brought him to the throne of my ancestors.
After the death of my father, when the world played a treacherous game with me, I did not wish to remain in Afghanistan lest on my account the country should suffer disturbance and destruction; consequently I exiled myself in a strange country, and spent thirteen years waiting for a suitable opportunity.

By reason of your domestic disturbances and local contests the anger of God increased and the waves of His wrath became violent, then you suffered by earthquakes, cholera, and unexpected floods. Still you did not awake from the sleep of negligence and were intoxicated with the wine of folly and remained in shame.
The English army, again after forty years, girded its loins against you, and through the cowardice of the man who was Amir at the time, and through want of arrangements, you were defeated by a slight attack.

For some time, in order that you might expiate your unworthy acts, you suffered hundreds of sorts of injuries and tasted a thousand species of poisons and misfortunes, so much that, eventually, through scarcity of grain and attacks of misfortunes and blight, your business ended in your losing your lives, and the knife of the enemy reached your bones. Your sighs and cries reached even to the blue sky.

In accordance with the covenant that God had made with your ancestors, the arrow of your prayers reached the target of acceptance, and I whom He kept under his guardianship for thirteen years was sent for your release, and by my fortunate efforts the High and Respected God emancipated you from allegiance to the strange nation. The drops of blessings were poured on you, famine was ended, the highway robbers at once despaired of their lives, those who were the cause of the destruction of the country were imprisoned, and disturbances were quelled in your country.

I made a suitable remission of your revenue, and added to your pensions so far as was proper. I shut my eyes to the former contest between us, and never listened to your enemies. I opened the gate of my durbar to you, and spread my tablecloth before you. By your own counsel I made peace with the British Government, and I obtained from them a considerable sum for the advancement of your welfare, and night and day I prepare war ma
terials for you, and am procuring the implements which will procure name and repute for you. I have not slumbered a moment on account of my anxiety to improve your affairs; I have not rested for a second in advancing the duties of the faith and of the State.

I trust you will thank God for this great blessing and will not be ungrateful for His gracious bounties, that according to His words, "those who give thanks for what they receive will receive even more," the blessings of God will daily be increased. But if you should be ungrateful for such copious blessings, I see with my eyes that a dreadful plague has opened its mouth to devour you and me, and a terrible enemy (Russia) has turned his eyes towards you, and the time has almost come when your property will be in possession of the enemies and your families will be captives in the hands of unbelievers (kafirs), and you, as in the times of Bukht-e-Nasir, will be exiled from your homes and will suffer many troubles.

You may be certain that as long as my soul remains in my body I shall endeavor as much as is in my power to resist and repulse the enemies of the Faith, and will try to introduce civilisation amongst you. I shall consider your enemies to be my own enemies, and will fight against them with heart and life; but sovereignty is like a house. I am the architect who makes the plan, the officers of the army are the masons, and the people are the workmen; if any of these three distinct classes neglect their respective duties, this building will not be constructed, but if every one attend to his respective duty, in a short time a firm foundation will be laid.

I pray to God for your welfare and prosperity, and do you pray for me to be firm in justice and in the laws of God's prophet.

My last advice to you is this, that if any one of my officials oppress you, or extort more than the fixed revenue, bring it to my notice without fear, and I will see justice done to you. I will not be partial even if my son should be in question!
((Copied and edited as appropriate from the following source: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Afghans_are_the_Ten_Lost_Tribes))

Last edited:
409px-IonelBratianu3b40761r.jpg

Prime Minister Ion I. C. Brătianu gives a speech in Bucharest following public outcry of recent reforms and expansions for the Romanian Army

Great people of Romania! Just a few short years ago we suffered a great invasion, that none of us will soon forget. Hundreds of thousands of our sons, brothers, and compatriots died in the fighting, and tens of thousands more perished under Russian occupation. Such cruel realities of war must not be forgotten, and it is well that you cry out against the possibility of it happening again, war is a terrible thing, and by no means should we grow to encourage it or enjoy it, not when it is the cause of incalculable death and destruction. It would be best if the dark specter of war never again came to threaten our lands and our children, never again allowed to steal the heart and soul of our nation for the horrors of the battlefield. War is not a course of action that should be embarked upon easily, and it was not in 1907, and it shall not in the future.

But there are times when war, for all its horrors and evils, is the proper course of action. Times when the costs of inaction so greatly out strip the price of war, that there is no correct recourse but to march to war. Such was the case in 1907, when Bulgarian expansionism, if left unchecked, threatened to become a great threat against Romania and her people. Every effort was made in that case to avoid war and find a peaceful solution, but the warmongering Bulgarian government would be satisfied with nothing but the full extent of her territorial ambitions. Hundreds of thousands of Romanians would unfortunately lose their lives in the war, but if we had hesitated, if we had not stood up against the rising threats against Romania, the outcome would have been a war even more devastating and costly to Romania and her people.

We won the War of 1907, checked the Bulgarian menace and secured our sovereignty against the Russian hordes, but make no mistake, Romania is not safe from threats. For ever since the Treaty of Warsaw brought peace to Romania, a new threat has turn upon us, and made it their express and absolute goal to see Romania broken and her people vanquished. I speak of course about the Hungarians, the vile magyar barbarians that have long ruled over our fellow Romanians in Transylvania and other regions, attempting to enforce harsh Magyarization policies on our kinsmen. In the past three years, they have taken their depraved oppression to new and impossible heights though. When some inhabitants of Transylvania rose in rebellion against Magyarization, the Magyars sent in their most savage bands to kill, rape, and plunder against Romanians in their territories, murdering tens of thousands of innocent Romanians. Those they didn't kill, they forced to march over the Carpathians in the dead of winter, leaving only a fraction of their number alive by the time they reached the safety of the Romanian border. And as if these atrocities were not enough, they deny the very existence of Romanians in Transylvania and the rest of Hungary, instead claiming that our brothers and sisters in their lands are in fact gypsies, a ridiculous fiction that no rational person could believe for an instant.

But is not just the Romanians in their lands that the Magyars hate and wish to see dead, they despise us too. Through their agents in Vienna, they have convinced the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian Empire to build a massive dam on the Danube, not once, but twice. Such a dam is a threat against everything down river from it, since it will disrupt the flow of the river and deny precious water to locations past the dam. If completed, the dam will surely bring about massive devastation to Romania, and all other lands downstream from the dam, as water flow vital to agriculture and transportation will be disrupted. Despite countless objections, complaints, and requests lobbied to the Austro-hungarian-Croatian Empire, they have repeatedly utterly refused to stop or reconsider construction of such a dangerous dam. Even after it was destroyed by rebel groups native to Hungary, they have rejected any change in policy and insist on building the dam, no matter the cost, such is the hatred the Hungarians have for Romania.

What can we do against a neighbor that so thoroughly despises us for the simple crime of existing? To do nothing is an answer that must be rejected immediately, for such a course of action is nothing short of suicide for the Romanian race. To seek assistance from the great nation of Europe would seem to be a practical answer, one that could bring about peace and stability, with minimum tensions. The nations of Europe have repeatedly objected to abuses of power by the Ottoman Empire against its minority groups. Romania's very independence came about by such a course of events, when the Ottoman Empire rejected the suggestions of the Constantinople Conference in 1877 following atrocities committed against the Slavic peoples, and war ensured. Within the past five years, nations as great as the German Empire, the Russian Empire, the French Republic, the Kingdom of Italy, and the United Kingdom have all spoken on and been involved in the affairs of the Ottoman Empire over concerns for the minority groups in the Balkans and other regions of the Ottoman Empire. Surely, it would seem that such nations could not stand idly by while flagrant atrocities are conducted and planned within the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian Empire not so far away?

Alas, such is exactly the case. Repeatedly we have asked the great nations of Europe to decry the atrocities in Transylvania and the evils of the Danube Dam. Publically, privately, we have made every effort to induce some reaction from the leading powers of Europe on the plights facing Romanians everywhere. But nothing has come of this. When the Danube dam was announced, they did nothing. When the Romanian people of Transylvania rose up in resistance to policies worse than the most atrocious once held by the Ottoman Empire, they did nothing. When we brought the matter of the Danube dam directly to the great nations of Europe for violating numerous prior agreements regarding the Danube River, they did nothing. When the Honved began massacring Romanian villages in Transylvania, raping and looting as they pleased, the great nations of Europe did nothing. When the Honved forced tens of thousands of Romanians to march through the Carpathian Mountains in the dead of winter and we brought matter to the Great Powers of Europe- They. Did. Nothing.

In light of repeated crimes against the Romanian people, and the utter failure of "civilized" Europe to so much as mention said atrocities, let alone condemn them, it is clear the only course for Romania is to prepare herself. The very existence of the Romanian people is at stake, and the international community has made it clear they don't care about the plight we face. In such circumstances we are left with no rational choice but to improve our army and prepare to defend the existence of Romania. Some ignorant voices have claimed that the expansion of our army is part of an irredentist ambition for Transylvania. This could not be further from the truth. While it is true that the majority of the population of Transylvania is ethnically Romanian, it is not the policy of Romania to use irredentist claims to justify armed conflict. No, as any rational mind can see, the expansion of Romania's army is not to threaten any other state, but to defend Romania from the threat of other states.

And so I ask of you, great Romanian people, do not decry the expansion of our army, decry the situation that made such an expansion necessary. Decry the nations of Europe who do nothing about the plight of Romanians. Above all, decry the Hungarians, the great enemy of the Romanian people. They will not be satisfied until the Romanian people are dead and broken. We must not allow that to happen. We cannot allow that to happen. Romania's strength as a nation is all we can rely on, and I ask for your full support in the dark days to come.

Long Live Romania!

600px-US_flag_45_stars.svg.png

The United States of America
Hail, Columbia

Given the assurances of the United Kingdom and following a series of meetings with Japanese diplomats, the United States is prepared to provisionally accept the statement issued by the the Imperial Japanese government, contingent upon swift action on Japan's part to resolve the point of contention and the completion of successful talks in London.

The USS Michigan and her battlegroup will resume their mission to southern China, including the escort of the American consul to the provisional capital of the Republic of China. Elements of the Pacific Squadron will take up the neutrality patrol along the Chinese coast, in close consultation and coordination with the United Kingdom's China Station. As recently stated by the French foreign minister, the Open Door Policy is of paramount interest to all nations with trading interests in China and the United States is fully committed to ensuring its undisturbed continuation.

Robert Bacon
Secretary of State

JtddQHE.jpg

Скоро

405px-Emblem_of_Afghanistan_%281901-1919%29.svg.png

Dawlat-e-Khudadad-e-Afghanistan
The Mustaufi's Opening Speech at the first annual sitting of the Loya Jirga and Khilwat before the Amir, in review of the year 1910

Your Highness, respected elders and chiefs of the Loya Jirga, honoured members of His Highness' most loyal Khilwat, and all others who honour us with their presence here today, the year 1328 AH [1910 AD] has been one of unprecedented progress and change for the nation. His Highness, as all here are no doubt aware, once more journeyed beyond the borders of our God-granted nation and achieved great diplomatic victories for our nation. A victory that cost Afghanistan no blood, won by our Amir's silver tongue and genius granted him by the Most Benevolent God. In Persia, in the city of Bandar Abbas, our Amir sat at the table with the great Shah of Persia and the representatives of his Holiness the Khalifa, as well as the representatives of His Imperial Majesty the King-Emperor of the British Empire. At Bandar Abbas, our Amir negotiated for many matters - some of them public, and others His Highness has deemed are best kept strictly secret until the greatest of victories may be unveiled. For the present, however, one of our Amir's victories is his success in increasing the jizya paid us by the British from £160,000 tenfold to £1,000,000.
The greater victory, however, is our Amir's successful efforts in persuading the Shah, the Khalifa, and the King-Emperor to establish a great railway line all the way from the City of the World's Desire, Konstantinople, to the Afghan heartlands, thus forever linking our God-granted nation to the lands of the khilafa. Not only this!- for this railway connects Afghanistan to the very heartlands of Islam: the Sacred Cities of Jerusalem, Mecca, and Medina. Nevermore will our pilgrims travel on foot and camel across the desert for months on end to reach those holy sanctuaries - they will be carried there, due to God's grace first and due to our Amir's genius second, on iron tracks in the belly of modernities horse: the train.
Our success has been so great that, with the aid of the Khalifa's British friends, following preliminary inspections in preparation for the construction, we have been able to expand the planned rail network within Afghanistan beyond just Herat and Kandahar as agreed in the treaty - we will be able to connect every major city in the country, including our capital of Kabul. With God's will, this will mean Jalalabad in the east, Ghazni to the south, Farah in the farthest west, Maimana and Mazar-i-Sharif in the north, and the far-off city of Faizabad in Afghan Badakhshan will also be connected. This is as our engineers and architects have confirmed, and by God's will construction has already begun between Herat and Kandahar. This astounding success is due to our wonderous Amir and God's pleasure with our obedient and faithful people. God is Great, God is Great. Long may His Highness reign over us, may we see through him more of the wonders of the Almighty God.

These victories would more than suffice us - indeed, with these victories we could well expect no more from our Amir ever again; for what victory after this victory is there to gain? But yet His Highness' tenacious will and desire to empower our nation brought forth more victories yet. His Highness, negotiating with the Shah and the Khalifa direct - and accepting also advice from the representatives of his Brittanic Majesty - succeeded in gaining a trade agreement with both Persia and the khilafa, guaranteeing the future prosperity of Afghan trade and opening up to our markets the entirety of western Asia. Once the railroads are completed, we will surely see a trading boom unlike anything our nation has seen in centuries. Indeed, our domestically produced goods have long been in need of new markets to export to. Western Asia is just the market we have been in need of. May God preserve for us His Highness the Amir, the victorious warrior of both the sword and word.

And now, too, His Majesty has added the pen to the armoury of the nation, and has used it to set ablaze with knowledge the abject ignorance of our people. For the Treaty won for us printing machines also, and our respected elder and honoured senior, the honourable Allamah, His Excellency Mahmud Tarzi Muhammadzai has set about immediately printing and publishing once more the newspaper Siraj al-Akhbar which originally started printing, but was quickly abandoned, in 1906. By the grace of God, and with His Highness' support, and with His Excellency's enormous knowledge and dedication and will, it has now resumed publication - and all are agreed that it is much improved. By His Highness' command, articles from the Siraj are read every Friday, and though the newspaper has only been in publication since October of 1910, we are already sensing a change in the everyday discourses of the people. No doubt, the little they are now learning has greatly enlightened the benighted masses. I had the pleasure recently of listening to the His Eminence the Kazi-ul-Kuzzat read one of our late Amir's pieces on the origins of the Afghan Pashtun tribes - such pieces will no doubt shape Afghan national consciousness for decades and even centuries to come. May the Almighty God shine His grace and radiance and pleasure on these our works, and may He increase the bounties we reap manifold, and may the goodness of our obedience to Him and our Amir last forever that His light and pleasure with us may never wane.

With this, I would like to officially open this sitting to the respected members of His Highness' Loya Jirga and the other members of the honoured Khilwat.

Mustaufi-ul-Mamalik, Mirza Mohammad Hussein Khan

___

Letter from His Highness the Amir to the new Shah of Persia, identical copy sent to the Viceroy of India

My dearest friend Shahanshah Mohammad Ali Shah Qajar,
I begin, as are all beginnings, with the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
News has reached us of the saddening passing of your Imperial Majesty's late father into the grace and mercy of the Almighty God. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and with all the Persian people in this period of mourning. We had the pleasure of meeting your Imperial Majesty's late father only last year, and had the pleasure also of meeting you. It had been our hope that we would meet in such happiness and friendship again in future, but it appears that the will of God has made it so that our meeting with our dear friend your Imperial Majesty's late father will not be in this world, but in the next. We pray that God will unite you and us with him and all our blessed and pious ancestors in happiness and bliss in the shadow of God's throne, in the company of the sacred prophets and messengers and sages of our illustrious history.​

With that, I would like to congratulate your Imperial Majesty, and the Persian people, on your ascension to the Peacock Throne. The Persian people are indeed fortunate, for following the illustrious and immensely successful reign of your Imperial Majesty's late father they could not hope for a stronger and more decisive figure to continue the progression of the Persian people to their deserved place amongst the great nations of the earth. May your reign last one-hundred years, and may your successes be uncountable and Persia's progress with your guiding hand be the stuff of epic poems and tales for a thousand years to come.
Your loyal friend,

Amir Habibullah Khan

___

Letter from His Highness the Amir to the Sultan-Khalifa of the Ottoman Empire, identical copy sent to the Viceroy of India

To the Sacred Khalifa and Mighty Sultan Mehmed V,

I begin, as are all beginnings, with the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
Our court is abuzz with news of your Sacred Majesty's glorious victory over the last rebels and brigands who have for long plagued the Devlet-i 'Aliye-yi. We are filled with relief and gladness that Ottoman might of arms as well as diplmatic finesse has ensured a victorious end to the insurgency. We congratulate your Sacred Majesty on this victory, and all the peoples of the Devlet-i 'Aliye-yi. The Muslim ummah is indeed fotunate to have so powerful and steady a Khalifa at the helm. We pray that the khilafa will see much-needed prosperoty in the coming years and decades, and that the relations between our two Muslim nations will continue to strengthen and grow following the Treaty of Bandar Abbas. We Afghans have great respect and love for the Ottoman people and look to you as a younger brother looks to an elder. Even now our court and military is filled with Ottomans who have migrated to our lands and who are expending every effort to help our nation modernise. We look forward to, with God's will, years of prosperity and progress for you and us.

News has reached us of the zealous Hajji-Mujahideen who journeyed to Ottoman domains so as to assist in the Ottoman effort against the insurgents. It is our most earnest hope that they have shown exemplary discipline and obedience, and have not been a burden weighing down the Ottoman military. If they have been in any way an inconvenience, or acted counter to any command - no matter how minor - we beseech you not hesitate in bringing the full force of justice and the law against the transgressors. It is our hope that, when their duties are complete and their services are no longer required by your Sacred Majesty's military, you will see fit to ensure the safe journey home of these over-zealous youths - for I fear that should your Sacred Majesty lift your guiding hand from them for even a moment they shall wander at a loss in the earth and be forever lost to their homeland.

Once more, we congratulate your Sacred Majesty and the Ottoman people on the glorious victories against the insurgents, and repeat our prayers for prosperity, peace, and progression for your Sacred Majesty's nation and the ummah which looks to you for guidance.
Ever your loyal friend,

Amir Habibullah Khan

300px-Flag_of_the_Ottoman_Empire.svg.png

The Ottoman Empire

Private Telegram to Amir Habibullah Khan From Sultan Mehmed V

Amir Habibullah Khan, I wish to thank you for your support and everlasting friendship towards the Ottoman Empire and the growing bond between our two peoples and nations. It has been deemed by my commanders that the vile brigands and bandits have been either eliminated or have fled out of the Empire's borders. This is great news, as finally since 1907 peace has been restored, and the rebuilding may begin.

With the Treaty of Bandar Abbas official, all pious members of the Faith may finally have less difficulty in their pilgrimage to the Holy Lands, reducing the threat of bandits robbing or even committing heinous crimes against our most faithful in their travel. I look forward to working more closely with our Afghan cousins into the future, as linking our two peoples and nations shall only bring benefit and prosperity to all involved.

Finally the brave and honorable Hajji-Mujahideen have done their duty to the Faith with assisting in the defeat of the enemies of the Ottoman Empire and of Islam. I have ordered ships to arrive in Basra to transfer them back to Afghanistan via Karachi, any and all equipment that they acquired from their battles shall be granted to them as gifts from myself and the Ottoman Empire for their great courage and tenacity in combat, if the equipment is an issue for travel then we can offer monetary compensation to not raise issue with British authorities within the Raj.

May Allah guide you Amir Habibullah Khan to endless prosperity and total victory against your enemies, and our two nations grow closer everyday for the betterment of the Faith into the future.

~ Signed, Mehmed V
Sultan of the Ottoman Empire
200px-Tughra_of_Mehmed_V.svg.png

Last edited:
240px-COA_Ministry_of_Foreign_Affairs_Romania.svg.png
Théophile Delcassé, Ministre des Affaires étrangères for the French Republic,

Our great nations of France and Romania have long held a special bound from our shared Latin heritage. French culture has fascinated and inspired Romanian intellectuals for decades now, and friendship between France and Romania has consistently been a goal of Romanian governments. Within the past decade, two momentous treaties were signed between our states, the Treaties of Constanța and Galați. Both were of great service to the quality and capabilities of the Romanian navy, and the later treaty saw the birth of the Research Group on the History and Ethnology on the Latin Peoples in the Balkans, as well as other fruitful cultural endeavours for our peoples. It is most unfortunate that circumstance saw us on opposite sides in the War of 1907, but we should not let a single event overturn decades of friendship.

Though it may be tactless to make a request in the same letter one ask to reaffirm friendship, the Kingdom of Romania faces a grave danger, and years of broad proclamations and requests have seen no recourse. As you are no doubt aware the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian Empire is constructing a dam on the Danube. Not only would this dam greatly diminished water flow in the lower Danube, which will have catastrophic consequences for hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Romanians, but it also will inhibit trade and commerce on the Danube. Though the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian monarchy claims a loch system will be in place to allow vessels to pass the dam, the time required for a vessel to be moved from one level to another will greatly hinder trade when multiple ships reach the dam. In the aggregate a great commercial crisis will develop, in violation of the principle of Freedom of Navigation for the Danube expounded upon in the Treaty of Paris (1856), Public Act of 1865, the London Conference of 1871, the Treaty of Berlin (1878), and the Treaty of London (1883).

In discussion of the recent misdeeds of the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian monarchy, one cannot avoid also mentioning the deplorable acts of the Hungarian Honved in Transylvania. Tens of thousands of Romanians have been killed, villages burned, and thousands more forced to march over the Carpathian Mountains in the dead of winter. Such uncivilized behaviour is worsed by the absurd claims by the Hungarian government that the Romanians within their territory are in fact Gypsies, a gross insult to not only all Romanians, but all other Latin peoples as well.

Though these issues, particularly that of the dam, have been in progress for years, and Romanian protests accompanying them, wider Europe has not seen fit to issue a response. I humbly beg that the French Republic assist Romania's diplomatic calls for the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian monarchy to curtail the gross offenses outlined in this letter. The Kingdom of Romania is nothing more than a peace loving nation that wishes the best for its people, both within its borders and without, and seeks the continued friendship of our Latin brethren in France.

Respectfully yours,
Ioan Lahovary, Minister of Foreign Affairs for Romania

55B267.jpg

Modern Ethiopian History, 1867-1889; The Spread of Colonialism and Emperor Yohannes IV

"If you wish to make peace it should be with the Italians in their country and the Ethiopians in ours."
-Emperor Yohannes IV

With a lineage that can be traced back as far as King Solomon of Israel; the Ethiopian Empire stands alone as one of the oldest, continuously independent nations on the planet. Founded in its current iteration under Emperor Mara Haymanot of the Zagwe Dynasty in the year 1137, Ethiopia long survived alone in the forgotten continent, as a bastion of Christendom through centuries of Muslim domination to its north and east, numerous wars were fought against her neighbors, many of whom sought to destroy her faith and dominate her people. This pattern would continue for over 700 years, during which time the Ethiopian Empire grew, claiming not just the Ethiopian Plateau but the valleys and rivers that spread out, away from the highlands.

However as the centuries changed so would the threats and challenges surrounding the country, in 1867 an Italian Lazarist missionary named Giuseppe Sapeto purchased the port of Assab. Located in what is now known as Eritrea, the port would quickly be expanded by a private Italian shipping company and grew enough to become an official Italian colony by 1882. Yet at the time Emperor Yohannes IV was less than concerned, preoccupied with a 'war' against the Egyptians and their British backers along the Sudanese frontier, he would achieve a preferential peace treaty with the Egyptians in 1884, only to lose most of his gains in 1885 when Italian troops, with British support managed to capture the port of Massawa and claim it for themselves, against strenuous Ethiopian objections.

In response to these objections the Italians began to fortify their new holdings, transporting both thousands of men and tons of material to Massawa in anticipation of an Ethiopian attack. The dispute would culminate in the Battle of Dogali, where an entire column of Italian soldiers numbering some 500 men would be cut down on their way to reinforce a town besieged by hostile Ethiopian forces. In response to this defeat the Italian government imposed a blockade on all shipping into and out of the country and, by early Spring of 1887 war seemed imminent. Yet the Italians restrained themselves at the last moment, reluctant to start a campaign in the mountainous territory of the Ethiopian highlands, instead they requested British mediation to solve the dispute. The British proposal would later be outright refused by the Ethiopians, but it gave both sides time to change tact and prevented the outbreak of war for another few years. In the interim Emperor Yohannes IV continued to build up his garrisons along the Eritrean border, however this in turn left the Sudanese border unguarded. Finding the area free of Ethiopian troops the Sudanese Mahdists would launch raids throughout 1889, going so far as to sack the holy city of Gondar which had once been the Empire's capital from 1635-1855. Taking the army westward with him he would meet the Mahdi at the battle of Gojjam and triumph. Yet in his exuberance the Emperor abandoned his men charging forward into battle, only to be cut down by the bullets of the Mahdi raiders. His death would leave the door open for Menelik II, and would set the stage for the greatest challenge to Ethiopian independence thus far.

GM Note: The 1911 map is now up. Gorgan and KingHigh join as Australia and South Africa, respectively, thus capping us at the maximum of two Dominions at any one time.

Dominion of Australia
Politics & Economy
Government: Federal parliamentary dominion
Leader(s): King George V/Governor-General Lord Dudley/Prime Minister Alfred Deakin
Ideology: Conservatism & white preference
Alignment: None (British Dominion)
Capital: Melbourne
Political stability: 69%
Population: 4.506 m. (2.95% growth)
GDP: $ 22,967 m. (0.76% growth)
Economic status: Semi-industrial, stagnation, market economy, $ 5,097 per capita
Government Spending & Services
Receipts: $ 1,378 m.
Expenditures: $ 1,206 m.
Balance: $ 172 m.
Treasury: $ 4 m.
Infrastructure: (1/5) Average
Administration: (4/5) Average
Education: (2/5) Average
Health & Welfare: (1/5) Poor
Literacy rate: 72%
National Defense
Manpower: 75,930
Army: (2/5) Average, 1904 technology
4 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry division, 0 mountain divisions, 0 marine divisions
Navy: (1/5) Poor, 1902 technology
0 dreadnoughts, 0 battlecruisers, 0 pre-dreadnoughts, 0 armored cruisers, 0 light cruisers, 0 destroyers, 0 submarines
Air Force: (1/5) Failing, 1909 technology
0 reconnaissance squadrons
Player: gorganslayer

Union of South Africa
Politics & Economy
Government: Unitary parliamentary dominion
Leader(s): King George V/Governor-General Lord Gladstone/Prime Minister Louis Botha
Ideology: Conservatism & white nationalism
Alignment: None (British Dominion)
Capital: Fucking four of them
Political stability: 73%
Population: 6.006 m. (1.48% growth)
GDP: $ 9,857 m. (1.16% growth)
Economic status: Agrarian, expansion, market economy, $ 1,641 per capita
Government Spending & Services
Receipts: $ 393 m.
Expenditures: $ 458 m.
Balance: $ - 65 m.
Treasury: $ - 1,002 m.
Infrastructure: (2/5) Poor
Administration: (1/5) Average
Education: (1/5) Poor
Health & Welfare: (4/5) Failing
Literacy rate: 21%
National Defense
Manpower: 102,588
Army: (3/5) Poor, 1902 technology
2 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry division, 0 mountain divisions, 0 marine divisions
Navy: (1/5) Poor, 1899 technology
0 dreadnoughts, 0 battlecruisers, 0 pre-dreadnoughts, 0 armored cruisers, 0 light cruisers, 0 destroyers, 0 submarines
Air Force: (1/5) Failing, 1909 technology
0 reconnaissance squadrons
Player: KingHigh99

Deadline for the next turn (1911) is Friday 12 May at 3pm EST.

EDIT: Naturally, Dominion players should refer to the OP should they have questions regarding orders.

GM Note: Mark also joins us as the State of New Hampshire.

State of New Hampshire
Government: Sovereign administration within the United States
Leader(s): Governor Henry Brewer Quinby
Capital: Concord
Order of admission into the Union: Ninth
Number of Presidents: One
Finest college: Dartmouth College
Number of soldiers that fought in the Civil War: 32,486
State rock formation: Old Man of the Mountain
Highest peak: Mount Washington (6,288 ft)
Motto: Live Free or Die
Player: Frymonmon

Flag_of_New_Hampshire_%281909-1931%29.png

The State of New Hampshire
New Hampshire is a state on the eastern seaboard of the United States of America. It is one of the smallest states in the Union, but an important one. The port of Portsmouth is well known for its trade and commercial abilities abroad. To its north, the White Mountains host a large logging industry, and small farms dot the landscape of the region. It is world-renowned for its autumn colours, having some of the best foliage within the United States. Southern New Hampshire also boasts a large industrial base, with the towns of Keene, Manchester, Nashua, and Berlin all having a significant worker base. Major employers in these towns include the Amoskeag Mills in Manchester, the Nashua Manufacturing Company in Nashua, the Brown Company paper mill in Berlin, as well as the state government itself.

Despite this industrial nature in the southern part of the state, it is overall still very rural and agrarian. Small towns dominate the state, and the elections showcase this. Nationally, New Hampshire is a solidly Republican state, with the recent election of Robert P. Bass to the Governorship. Bass was a strong supporter of President Roosevelt during his campaigns for the Presidency, showing that the more moderate Republicans who believed in the Progressive movement was the dominate strain of political thought in the state. Bass is set to take office on the 5th of January, 1911. The legislature is currently controlled by the Democratic Party.

With its proximity to Boston, the state's transportation network is mostly a result of railway lines running to Boston. Highways and bridges within the state (for automobiles and heavily trafficked areas) are the responsibility of the State Engineer, who with the funds allocated by the New Hampshire General Court, is tasked with their maintenance and the construction of new ones. The Boston and Main Railroad is the main railway provider in the state, offering freight and passenger travel statewide, almost to the point of being the only carrier in the state. The Maine Central Railroad controls several lines in the northern portions of the State, offering services mainly from St. Johnsbury, Vermont to Portland, Maine.

New Hampshire is poised, just little over a decade into the new century, to embrace the changing tide of the United States, and position itself as the forefront of the eastern seaboard. New Hampshirites were peaceful and optimistic people, and they looked forward to the century ahead.

"His Imperial and Royal Highness is obligate to state His utter abhorrence of what is currently occurring in Macedonia, with the rise of anarchy and communism. He expresses his pleasure at the knowledge that the respective signatory bodies of the Treaty of Berlin, as subject to their agreed terms, will soon completely and utterly annihilate this threat to the governing order from history."

~ Agenor Graf Gołuchowski, Minister of Foreign Affairs for the K.u.K.u.K Franz Josef

384px-Royal_Coat_of_arms_of_Serbia_%281882%E2%80%931918%29.svg.png

An announcement from the Serbian government

Due to the continuing escalation in the kingdom of Moesia, and the Anarchy that now reigns over the state, the Serbian government announced that:

The Kingdom of Serbia, in line with the Treaty of Berlin, will be honouring it's obligations and intervening into Moesia in order to remove the communist menace that has taken root.

640px-Flag_of_Albania_%281914-1920%29.svg.png

Government of Albania
Qeveria e Shqipërisë

A proclamation concerning various domestic aspects
His Majesty The King firstly wishes to convey to all loyal soldiers of the former Albanian army his sincerest gratitude for their brave and dedicated service in defense of their homeland. Pursuant to such sentiments, it is the formal directive of His Majesty's Government that all former elements of the Albanian army as constituted prior to the Treaty of Berlin be demobilised; following which the transition to full compliance with said treaty in regards to the military shall commence.

As well, in commemoration of the final establishment of peace, order, and good governance within the Albanian realm, His Majesty has ordered the establishment of a constitutional convention in order that such bounties be perpetuated for future generations. It is the intent and the hope of His Majesty that upon his ratification of such a charter elections may be immediately convened under its auspices.

Sincerely,

Luigj Gurakuqi,
Interior Secretary of the Kingdom of Albania,
on behalf of His Majesty Teodor IV of Albania

320px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russian Empire
Россійская Имперія

We in the Russian Empire had thought the Treaty of Stavropol would bring about a period of peace for the beleaguered Christian peoples under the Ottoman Empire, as we were met with assurances and promises from the Sublime Porte. And so the we thought the Turk understood the principles of civilization, of honor, and of tranquility.

We were mistaken, as it has become readily apparent that the Turk acts in extreme violation of Article V of the Treaty of Stavropol, not simply in lax enforcement of it, but in fact in rampant promotion of persecution. Their every action seems readied against our treaty to counter-act its noble plan and instead bring destruction upon Christianity.

This shall not stand. The Russian Empire levies the following ultimatum unto the Ottoman Empire:

1. The complete removal of Ottoman forces from the Six Armenian Vilayets

2. The establishment and empowerment of an Armenian Body to oversee the implementation of governance in accordance with the Treaty of Stavropol

3. The establishment and empowerment of a Russian Body to inspect the progress of the implementation of the Treaty of Stavropol

4. The immediate cessation of atrocities against Christians within the Ottoman Empire

5. A statement from the Sublime Porte decrying these atrocities and offering concessions in light of their flagrant and savage regard towards their treaties

This is not a statement we make lightly, for the Russian Empire cannot sit idly by while the Turk makes mockery of our agreements and brings ruin to our Christian brothers. If the terms of our ultimatum are not accepted within 72 hours, the Russian Empire will act with all due strength to enforce that which it has promised to the Christian peoples of the Ottoman Empire.

- Count Izvolsky, Foreign Minister of the Russian Empire

255px-Flag_of_Italy_%281861-1946%29.svg.png

The Italian government issues the following statement: Given the instability in the Balkans, given the recent events in Anatolia and the recent Russian Ultimatum the Italian Kingdom must take steps. The Italian Royal navy is going on alert status. All leave has been canceled and all warships not on active patrol recalled to port and prepared in case of need. In case of crisis, the navy will be prepared to act as the first line of defense for the interests of the Kingdom of Italy. It is hoped that this will be a short period and that no further action will be needed. But hopes alone do not defend a Kingdom and its people.

Paolo Spingardi~Minister of War of the Italian Kingdom

An Exposition on Elements of Russian Central Asia: The Emirate of Bukhara & Khanate of Khiva

1485ce8f07703a096d2c70b60511bfba.jpg

The Russian advance into Muslim Central Asia began with the subjugation of the Kazakh hordes who roamed between the Volga and the Irtysh. Despite willful resistance by such brilliant leaders as Kinesary Khan, the Russian Empire had completed the conquest of the Kazakhs by 1854, establishing its frontier at the Syr Darya River. It advanced swiftly from 1864-8, conquering Samarkand and Tashkent from the Khanate of Kokand before turning both it and Bukhara into protectorates in 1868. Russian suzerainty was likewise established over Khiva in 1873. After (the by now deeply unpopular) Khudayar Khan of Kokand was deposed and forced into exile in 1875, he was replaced by his son Nasir al-Din Khan who led a vicious struggle against the Russians. This culminated in his defeat and the complete abolition of the Khanate of Kokand. Direct Russian rule over the former-Khanate ensued. Seemingly unstoppable, Russian advances were put to a momentary halt after their humiliating defeat by Tekke Turkoman tribals at Geok Teppe Fort in 1879. The Russians were, however, more successful when they returned in 1881 - the conquest has become infamous for the indiscriminate massacre of nearly 20,000 Tekke Turkomen - revenge, perhaps, for 1879.

300px-%D0%9F%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%B5_%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%83%D0%B4%D0%B0%D1%87%D0%B8.jpg

After the Defeat by Vasily Vereshchagin: Depiction of the Aftermath of the Battle of Geok Teppe, 1881

Afghanistan was next. However, following the occupation of Merv in 1884 and that of Panjdeh the following year, the Russians found that Afghanistan - with Britain standing firmly behind it - was not to fall into its hands. The dream of a warm-water port on the Arabian Sea seemed forever out of reach. Russia's woes aside, it now had most of Muslim Central Asia under its direct rule, with the exception of the Khanate of Khiva and the Emirate of Bukhara which maintained a semblance of autonomy and more or less managed their internal affairs with minimal Russian involvement - what came to be known as the policy of nonintervention.

In late 1910 and early 1911, the Khanate of Khiva and Emirate of Bukhara - both still under Russian suzerainty and their status largely unchanged - found themselves with new leadership. Isfandiyar Jurji Bahadur, a descendant of Ghengis Khan and an honorary Major General in the Russian Army, became Khan of Khiva in late 1910 after his father, Khan Muhammad Rahim, died of a heart attack at the age of sixty-five.

616x510.jpg

His Illustriousness: The new Khan of Khiva, shown here with his Imperial decorations and military insignia

In the Emirate of Bukhara Said Mir Mohammed Alim Khan, also a direct descendant of Genghis Khan, ascended to the throne in the mighty Ark Fortress in early 1911. Still in his early days and having received some Russian education, it appears that his reign will see much reform. Already, he has banned the practice of giving gifts to officials as well as taxation of the people by the authority of any other than himself.

616x510.jpg

His Highness: The new Amir of Bukhara, seen here also with his Imperial decorations

An Exposition on the Emirate of Bukhara

In January of 1910, a Shi'ite Bukharan official permitted the commemoration of 'Ashura (the Shi'te commemoration of the killing of Imam Hussain , a grandson of the Islamic Prophet, at the Battle of Karbala) in the city of Bukhara, following years of nepotism by the same official. This caused open rioting by the Sunnite majority in the city of Bukhara. The surrounding population rose up and marched on Bukhara to assist their respective co-religionists, and it was not until the Russians intervened by occupying the city, in a breach of their policy of nonintervention, that some semblance of peace was restored. But the humiliation of a Russian occupation of the capital city, which had not happened even when the Emirate was subjugated, would embitter the people of the Emirate - whose anti-Russian sentiment was no secret. The apparent failure of nonintervention caused the Russians to consider taking direct control of the Emirate instead, but the cost and potential for strife - as well as general lack of political will - meant that no such thing took place. Only a complete breakdown in the political order (as had happened in Kokand in 1875-6) would stir the Russians to take such measures. The Russians instead recommended the Amir reform his army so as to not be in need of direct Russian intervention in future. On his ascension to the throne in January of 1911, that was exactly what the new Amir of Bukhara set about doing. At his ascension, the new Amir declared a number of reforms aimed at eliminating government corruption (a wise move, given the cause of the 1910 disturbances). He prohibited the giving of presents to the Amir or his bureaucratic & other representatives, Kazis were forbidden from accepting more than the legal fees to which they were entitled, and the wages of soldiers and all salaried clerical and secular officials were raised.

Bukharan state revenue currently comes at eighteen million rubles a year, despite widespread corruption. State expenditure is minimal, coming at one million rubles a year for the army and another million for court and other purposes, meaning the Emirate is running a formidable surplus - and has been doing so for nearly a decade if not more. The Amir inherits from his father a state treasury creaking under the weight of fifty million rubles. This, coupled with extortionate taxation (by the Amir, the 50,000 bureaucrats and officials, and the religious establishment) did not endear the late Amir to his people. Until 1900 Bukharans tended to flee over the river to Afghanistan to escape the Amir's avaricious begs (local governors), but this has been somewhat stemmed due to greater attempts at border control by the Russians.

The late Amir 'Abd al-Ahad was puritanical when it came to spending money. In his early years, he gained a name as a reformer by abolishing slavery, closing the infamous underground prison in the Arc, ending execution by impalement or hurling from the 200-foot Great Minaret, and prohibited public exhibition of batchas (dancing slave-boys who also functioned as personal sex slaves). Slavery remains in the form of debtor's bondage and domestic servitude, and penal conditions remain horrific.
Beyond this, the late Amir spent only the unavoidable minimum on public works (such as roads, bridges, and irrigation works). He refused to provide the seven million rubles necessary to build a canal from the Amu-Darya and so irrigate a large part of the Karshi Steppe. He also refused to spend so much as a ruble on public health, and so Bukhara became home to malaria, cholera, typhoid fever, and other diseases - it is famous for a particularly nasty internal worm infection, called rishta, acquired by drinking impure water from reservoirs. The late Amir himself appears to have suffered from it.

2ENYzic.jpg

His Highness: The Late Amir 'Abd al-Ahad, seen here also with his Imperial decorations

The Emirate’s major exports to Russia (which have benefited much due to the Trans-Caspian and Tashkent Railways constructed 1879-1906), in order of importance are: raw cotton, karakul skins (much in demand in Russia and the West generally), and wool, followed by silk, hides, dried fruits, and carpets. Bukhara in turn imports from Russia inexpensive textiles, metal and manufactured goods, sugar, kerosene, and china. Bukhara’s annual trade with Russia is valued at sixty-seven million rubles a year as of 1910. However, the vast majority of Bukharans have little purchasing power and little need for foreign products, with the notable exceptions being cheap cotton and metal goods, tea, sugar, and kerosene. Similarly, production in Bukhara is primarily for domestic consumption, with cotton and karakul being the exceptions. Due to their proximity and historical links, as well as Bukharan autonomy (which was so great that in 1907 the authoritative French journal Revue du Monde Musulman remarked with amazement that Bukhara had once more become an “effective principality” — an example of the triumph of the wider Islamic reawakening - Nahda - of the period over Russian imperialism), Afghan-Bukharan trade, mainly through Herat, goes more or less unimpeded. For instance a trader and banker by the name of Haji 'Abd al-Qayyum, the son of one Baz Muhammad of Kabul, currently acts as a Newswriter in Bukhara where he purchases Russian arms and despatches them to Kabul via Herat on a fairly regular basis.

While Russian protection means that the late Amir had no real incentive to reform, the people of Bukhara - who see the relative prosperity of bordering Afghanistan and the wider Russian Empire - have grown more aware of what things could be like, and a reformist movement has grown across the nation and in the new Amir's court (like the court poet, social critic, and proponent of women's rights, Mirza Hayit Sahbo). Jadidi influence has grown, and Bukhari workers in the cotton ginning mills partook in the strikes and unrest of the past few years in Russia. Russian officials were so worried that the populace would be tempted to revolt during the disturbances that reinforcements had to be sent in. In 1909, a group of Bukharans exiled in Constantinople founded the Bukhara Tamim-i Maarif (Bukharan Society for the Dissemination of Knowledge), whose goals are to found schools in Bukhara and finance the sending of Bukharan students to study in Constantinople. Within Bukhara, a secret society called the Gamiyati Tarbiye-i Atfal (Society for the Education of Children) was formed toward the end of 1910, aiming to disseminate knowledge and literature among the population, fight government abuses, and wage antigovernment agitation. New members are carefully screened, sworn to secrecy, moral purity, abstention from alcohol, and devotion to enlightenment and reform, and even then only gradually initiated into the Society’s secrets. The Society's existence and goals are a closely-guarded secret even from the Bukharans who donate to it. Though membership does not exceed thirty people, the organisation has contact with the one in Constantinople and has already set about actively working towards the betterment and upliftment of the people of Bukhara - already they have plans to send fifteen Bukharans to study in Constantinople, and plans to publish a newspaper are in the works. The moment is ripe for reform, but it remains to be seen whether the new Amir will be the man for the moment.

An Exposition on the Khanate of Khiva

As of 1911, Khiva’s internal life is even less affected by Russian suzerainty than Bukhara. No railroad runs through Khiva (the nearest line passes at a distance of 230 miles from the capital), there are no Russian enclaves, civil or military, no Russian extraterritorial courts, and no Russian customs and frontier posts. While an unofficial colony of Russian merchants developed at Urgench in the 1890’s, the total number of Russians in the Khanate remains small — 3,951 according to the census of 1897, and an estimated 6,000 in 1911 — all largely concentrated in Urgench. Urgench has a number of modern commercial and industrial enterprises, a telegraph office, and a branch of the Russian treasury, but no Russian schools, churches, hospitals, or hotels, and no separate administration.

Unfortunately, Khiva has a recurring problem of chronic insubordination. The Khan’s Turkoman subjects, in particular, have risen up in revolt on numerous occasions. The period 1880–1905 was marked by repeated minor disturbances among the Khivan Turkomans, usually over taxes or the ancient dispute over the division of water for irrigation. The age-long cultural antagonism between Turkomans and Uzbeks has also been a major factor.

With an annual state revenue of one million rubles (despite corruption and embezzlement) and a rather benign Khan, Khiva has seen more concern by the state with expenditure on public works, such as roads and bridges, to date than has neighbouring Bukhara. In January 1911, the new Khan publically proclaimed his support for a broad range of reforms, including the establishment of an official state budget, the placing of all government servants on a salary so as to combat corruption, tax reforms, improvement and extension of the irrigation network, and establishment of hospitals, dispensaries, and new elementary schools using the Jadidi pedagogical method. The tax reform is expected to raise government revenue to about two million rubles a year, of which one million is to be spent on projects such as schools and hospitals — nearly five times the current expenditure on these matters.

Khiva exports raw cotton, wheat for the Russian outposts on the east coast of the Caspian and on the lower Sir-Darya, khalats, hides and skins, dried fruits, and fish from the Aral Sea. The Khanate imports from Russia manufactured goods, mainly textiles and metal products, as well as tea, sugar, and kerosene. Despite the vast distance to the nearest railway, Khiva benefits from the line and its trade with Russia is valued at over eighteen million rubles a year. In early 1910, a private Russian joint-stock company established regular steam navigation on the Aral Sea and the lower Amu-Darya, between the Aralsk station of the Tashkent Railroad and Chardjui. However, even during the eight months of the year when this route was not blocked by ice, the shallowness of the eastern half of the Aral Sea and of the mouths of the Amu-Darya made navigation difficult and prevented the venture from being a total success. Whereas Khiva had enjoyed a brief period of trading boom with Afghanistan and India before the Russian conquest of Merv, such trade has dwindled significantly due to near Russian encirclement of the Khanate. The historical enmity between Khiva and Bukhara generally means that their governments have little to no contact with one another, and although trade with Khiva through Bukhara is theoretically possible for Afghanistan, doing so without being detected by the Russians is very difficult.

uzbek1900.gif

The Khanate of Khiva, dark pink; & The Emirate of Bukhara, bright green.

With Afghanistan serving as something of a success story relative to Khiva and Bukhara, it was only natural that the two new sovereigns would turn to the Amir of Afghanistan for inspiration and support in their native attempts at reform, Afghanistan had cooperated to a certain degree - despite conflicting interests - with the Central Asian Khanates during the period of Russian advance, and envoys had long been publically sent to and from Afghanistan. After 1880, the existence of such envoys became informal and secret, facilitated by the fact that it was nigh impossible to prevent crossings to and from Bukhara and Afghanistan. Moreover, it was often the case that loyalties and tribal allegiances transcended the arbitrary Russo-Afghan border. Mirza Muhammad Umar and his siblings, for instance, who are together the guardian of holy shrines at Kharokh in Herat, Khwaja Gumbad, and Maimana, have loyal followers among the Hazaras of Kala Nao in Afghanistan, as well as in Russian Turkestan and Bukhara with whom they are in constant communication.

In early 1911, upon encouragement by the Amir and following rising tensions between Russia and the Ottomans, envoys from both Bukhara and Khiva reached Kabul in secret, accompanied by the Haji Taimuri of Herat, Muhammad Usman Khan. From Khiva, sent by the Khan, came one 'Abd al-Karim son of Abd al-Ghafur Khan of Samarkand. Born in Bukhara, he claims to be a Barakzai Afghan, but many suspect he is, in fact, a Turkoman. From Bukhara, sent by the Amir, came one Sadarat Panah Kwajah Tora, accompanied by another Bukharan going by Haji Katb al-Din. They were welcomed graciously by Amir Habibullah in the Dilkusha Palace, located in the Amir's seat of government; the Arg-e-Shahi (Citadel of the King) in Kabul.

3baf0ab0d939ca137b662747da244ded.jpg

The Dilkusha (Heart's Desire) Palace; Constructed between 1900 and 1906

With tensions rising once more between Russia and the Ottomans, and with the Balkans spiralling once more into the chaos of war, and with Europe also on a war footing, and with the unruly tribes of Central Asia only too happy for an opportunity to throw off the Russian yoke, it may well be the case that the right (or wrong) steps could set Muslim Central Asia ablaze.

bf2315adabea62a6a8b3ac27225f2b14.jpg

((The content of this post is largely a recount of OTL events up to 1911. However, the Khivan and Bukharan envoys mentioned did not, in fact, come to Afghanistan until after 1915. In reality, they were sent by their respective nations without encouragement from the Afghan Amir - I thus cause a slight departure from the OTL chain of events by having the Afghan Amir encourage the coming of the envoys.))

Last edited:
300px-Flag_of_the_Ottoman_Empire.svg.png

The Ottoman Empire

Public Announcement From Grand Vizier Mehmet Talaat Pasha

Citizens of the Empire, we have been betrayed! The Russians have accused us of violating agreements pertaining to the Armenian Vilayets, even demanding an ultimatum against our fair and honorable people! This is an outrage we shall wholly denounce, as the Russians wish to spread their false lies and their bloodlust to kill all members of the Faith in their grand "Crusade" to eradicate us into history. We have kept our word, as those individuals in the Armenian Vilayets imprisoned or killed were enemy combatants who defied international law and that of the rebel leadership whom agreed to the Treaty of Stavropol.

We demand from the Russian government a complete removal of this "ultimatum" and return to sanity and civility within St. Petersburg. If this is too difficult for the Russians to accept, then we shall take appropriate measures to defend our borders and interests from any invading force.

Finally, I deeply regret that I must officially order the total mobilization of all Imperial Forces to full combat readiness, this threat to the Empire shall not stand, I pray to Allah that this situation is solved quickly and without bloodshed.

100px-Sadrazamlik-nisanlari.svg.png

- - - -

Secret Telegram from Ottoman General Staff to 3rd Army Headquarters

We have received the most of unfortunate telegrams from Russia, as it seems they have gone mad and will attempt to invade the region in defiance of the Treaty of Stavropol. Prepare all battalions and divisions for war or beginning of hostilities, we count on the 3rd Army to bring victory to the Sultan and the Empire against the Russian menace faced against us, troop deployments shall be sent through other channels to assist in operations.

All previously planned operations shall commence immediately upon any Russian declaration of war, be steadfast and resilient, as victory shall be for the 3rd Army if so.

May Allah guide the 3rd Army to total and glorious victory over the Russian infidels.

320px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png

Russian Empire

Россійская Имперія

In light of the complete rejection of our terms, the Russian Empire formally enters a state of war with the Ottoman Empire, simultaneously decrying its disrespect for international cooperation and the rights of its own, Christian subjects.

A full mobilization of our Armed Forces will secure a quick resolution to this crisis, and the protection of those the Sultan simply will not provide for.

- Count Izvolsky, Foreign Minister of the Russian Empire

Grand_Duke_Boris_Vladimirovich_of_Russia_in_civilian_clothes.jpg

A letter from His Majesty Teodor IV of Albania
to His Imperial Majesty Nicholas II of Russia
Dearest cousin,

News has reached me this morning of the perfidy of the Turk and the resulting actions undertaken by your government. I do not think that it would be a surprise for you to hear that such ill-tidings were deeply distressing. It was my hope and that of my newly-adopted people that the fruits of peace could for a time be enjoyed, but it seems that that hope has been altogether dashed. I am sure you remember as I do the feelings of hope and optimism which animated our senses as 1899 drew to a close. We and the entire family -- indeed, the entire world -- fervently aspired to a new reality: that the XIXth century would stand in stark opposition to her predecessor. That the world would be enveloped in amity and peace instead of hatred and war.

How foolish!

These past ten years have witnessed a new era of tumult on a scale unseen in human history. Even the distant and savage Chinee suffers under the suffocating weight of Mars, and indeed our own Motherland has been subjected to the horrors of war twice already! Through the grace of Christ Jesus Russia has managed to prevail and I have faith she will do so again, but I remain deeply aggrieved at the constant necessity of such a mighty evil. How long, do you think, until the race of Adam may finally beat swords into ploughshares?

In any case, perhaps you yourself have heard of the changes which are facing me in my own realm. I must admit that the ideals of constitutionalism remain... well, strange to me. Foreign to the sensibilities which were instilled in us both. As time advances however I am gradually more accepting of such propositions foisted upon me by my ministers -- and indeed, it is in my name that this novelty of a 'constitutional convention' has been established. You and I read in our youth the same histories, the same stories and chronicles. I fear it may have escaped our notice, and that of our tutors, that the fate of Louis XIV did not spring ex nihilo from the ether. You have been gifted with hindsight and I pray you use it well.

You, the family, and our brave soldiers remain foremost in my prayers;

Boris