• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(63836)

Field Marshal
Dec 25, 2006
1-50.jpg

My name is Beralath and I come from ancient Beijabar people, or Beornings as we are known outside. I grew up in a small village on bank of Anduin river, not far from Carrock. My parents died in a goblin ambush while hunting in the woods on slopes of the Misty Moutains, and I was raised by my uncle. He was a carpenter, and years of helping him with cutting down trees and carrying a lot of wood made me though and strong.

2-47.jpg

However, elders are saying that dark days are about to come. Scouts guarding the High Pass reported that goblins rallied their numbers after Battle of Five Armies which took place over 70 years ago. In the south our allies, the Woodsmen, are saying that shadow spreads from southern Mirkwood and that goblins returned to the Dol Guldur.

3-46.jpg

Hearing all these rumours, one day I took my old tunic, worn out boots and trusty stick, and left my village to set on an adventure.

Hello. I recently tried out new mod for M&B 'Last Days of the Third Age' which is excellent, and worthy an AAR. It would be pretty basic - don't expect walls of elaborate writing, or a lot of edited screenshots.

Part I.

1-51.jpg

I began my journey by going to Beorn's House - seat of our leader, Grimbeorn the Old, located on the edge of Mirkwood.

2-48.jpg

It's said that during Beorn's times, he lived here peacefully with many animal companions, and house didn't even had a fence. Right now this place serves as a fortified base, with gathered Beorning men preparing weapons and supplies for an upcoming conflict.

3-47.jpg

I wasn't allowed inside Hall with my stick. Why? What happened, why the guards everywhere? That's really strange, after all we're of the same clan. Finally, I complied and entered inside.

4-44.jpg

Chief Grimbeorn the Old explained to me what happened. Few weeks ago a Woodsman arrived in Beorn's House, telling that he has a message for Grimbeorn's ears only. He tried to kill him when both were alone, but failed and escaped. Rumour goes that perhaps assassin was sent by the Necromancer. Few days ago a party of travelling Dwarfs passed through here, on their way to High Pass, and they said that they saw a man fitting assassin's description in Dale. Grimbeorn bestowed a task upon me, to travel to Dale, find this man, and if it's possible - capture him.

5-34.jpg

I've accepted this quest. Journey through Mirkwood would be dangerous, so I asked for some companions. Unfortunately, with increasing numbers of goblins roaming vale of Anduin, Grimbeorn gave me only five young, inexperienced lads.

6-26.jpg

Next day we left Beorn's House. By Grimbeorn's advice, we had to travel east through Old Forest Road, and then turn north once out of Mirkwood.

7-27.jpg

Road was indeed very old and ruined, but at least it's not densely forested. However, not far from it's edges woods thickens and large cobwebs, sign of giant spiders, can be spotted.

9-26.jpg

Finally, after many days we left Mirkwood behind, and turned north by the River Running.

10-19.jpg

We've passed by Esgaroth on our way. Truly remarkable and unusual sight. From the tales we heard, original city was burned by a dragon - Smaug, but stubborn lakemen rebuilt it. Unfortunately we didn't have a time to visit it this time.

11-17.jpg

We arrived in Dale at late night. It's a magnificent and impressive city, with tall houses build out of stone - something we never seen before.

12-15.jpg

Next morning we split up and began our search through the streets of Dale. Finally, I spotted a man fitting Grimbeorn's description. When he recognised me as a Beorning he became noticeably nervous...

13-12.jpg

...and pulled out his sword! My stick wasn't an impressive weapon perhaps, but I managed to parry his swings.

14-11.jpg

With few accurate hits, my opponent was down. I've managed to get away with only few scratches. Unfortunately, his head hit the stone while he fell and mysterious man was dead.

I just have to ask - can you shapeshift to bear form? :D

AFAIK no, but who knows - there's a lot of hidden features in this mod.
Looking good otherwise. More like a webcomic, but nothing wrong with that, I think.

Thanks. Yeah it's meant to be 'quick and dirty' in style. It's only a little side project of mine, since I'm writing another, CK AAR at the same time.

1-52.jpg

I've decided to take alternate route back to Anduin Vale, traveling north of Mirkwood, and south of slopes of the Grey Mountains.

2-49.jpg

One day we encountered goblins approaching from the hills! There was only four of these foul creatures, and we knew that they do not fight well in sunlight, so I've decided to confront them.

3-48.jpg

I've ordered my men to stand in rank, close to each other, while undisciplined foes were charging ahead without any formation.

4-45.jpg

It was an easy victory, as each individual creature was surrounded and slain.

5-35.jpg

Finally, we arrived back in Beorn's House.

6-27.jpg

Grimbeorn the Old was glad that his would-be murderer was dealt with, and as a reward I could ask for some equipment or supplies. He also entrusted me with another mission. I was to deliver a message to Lord Elrond, who moved from Rivendell recently with his retinue, and set up a camp near the forest of Lorien.

8-26.jpg

I've requested some additional rations, and simple hood from local craftsman - it's not as good as a proper helmet, but better this than nothing.

9-27.jpg

I've also recruited more men, and bought them better equipment. There was 10 of us now.

10-20.jpg

We were to cross Anduin at Carrock, and then continue south, through Gladden Fields.

11-18.jpg

We passed through ford peacefully.

12-16.jpg

However, one evening near Gladden river we were attacked by a group of 10 goblins. Once again, it appeared that they lacked discipline or commander, moving forward spread out.

13-13.jpg

My men were to stand in tight formation until last moment, and then attack.

14-12.jpg

Short-limbed goblins lacked range, and I could easily keep their distance with my stick. It was especially easy, since they were spread out and not attacking in tightly packed group.

15-10.jpg

Victory, and without any losses! My men were starting gaining experience, and so did I. (lvl2: STR+1, Athletics+1, Polearms+12).

16-8.jpg

Finally we arrived at the camp of the Elves.