• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bellyfish

Sergeant
44 Badges
Jun 30, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Hello! I'm Bellyfish and I am a long time lurker on these forums. I'm one of those players that does it for the achievements. The feeling I get when that small steam popup appears truly warms my heart.
But here's the thing - I've got all the achievements now. What can I do? What patiently for the next big patch? Go outside? No. Of course the only sane thing to do is to make up my own achievements. So without further ado I give you my achievement...

Alphabet Pasta
As a custom nation with no more than 200 points with Italian culture and a capital in the Italian region, for each letter of the alphabet own at least one province starting with that letter.

Slight mouthful but hopefully its obvious that I need to acquire a province for every letter of the alphabet. I'll be using the English alphabet and the province names as they appear on the map. Also I will not rename any provinces. Will be using patch 1.25.1 with all DLC.

The Custom Nation

I've managed to use 200 points exactly which is nice. Have a 4 6 4 young ruler with no heir or consort. I've chosen 14 development Ancona as my only province which puts me in the Venice trade node but more importantly gives me the letter A!

hruhPBY.png

Traditions

Technology Cost: -5% - saves a bit of monarch points, helps slightly to gain innovation
Diplomatic Relations: +1 - more alliances is always good

Ideas
Galley Combat Ability: +20% - the mediterrian sea will be mine!
Development Cost: -10% - cheaper development is always nice
Privateer Efficiency: +15% - with Genoa trade node close by this will hopefully be quite effective
Mercenary Discipline: +10% - it's like +10% discipline, but worse!
Goods Produced Modifier: +20% - more goods, more money
Movement Speed: +15% - want the fastest army in the land
Land Fire Damage: +10% - nice little modifier to finish with

Ambition
Yearly Navy Tradition Decay: -1.0% - lets keep that tradition number high

So as you can see nothing to overpowered but also nothing too worthless. Going to avoid colonization so will need take all the provinces I need by force. So can it be done? Stayed tuned and see! (I mean obviously yes it can be done, just trying to raise the tension)

Chapter 1 - n is for nothing happens
The (initial) economy, fools! With full army maintenance I am making a +0.62 ducats. Have set my merchants to push trade to Venice.

lkjSwWo.png

Now to say my opportunities to expand are limited would be an understatement. The only realistic wars I can declare are on Ragusa (guaranteed by Ottomans), Papal States (immediately allied France and Hungary) and Ferrara (also allied France).
So instead I start by fortifying Alphabetia's position. Mantua, Milan, Baden and Savoy are all allied. Relations are improved with Austria to the point that we can join the HRE (Ancona is originally a Papal State province and hence not in the HRE at game start).

s5iBTgr.png

Four years and no wars? This isn't the EU4 I know! I was even hunting around for a humiliate war but sadly the alliance chains around Italy often involving some sort of regional power. I'm forced to settle for early tech which gives me some early innovation.

QpNFp5j.png

An heir appears! But the Pope won't be happy with me if I accept him. Nevermind, something tells me that the Pope and I won't be seeing eye to eye in the near future (#FORESHADOWING). My heir has nice stats at 6 3 2, though a weak claim spells out legitimacy problems should he take the throne.

2EaIwxg.png

My first big alliance, Hungary. They just finished annexing Bosnia and smashing Serbia. This set Serbia on a downward spiral of getting declared on by Ragusa and Venice which they are unlikely to recover from.

5m5tFgO.png

10 years in and um... well we get some more innovation from early tech. That's something interesting, right? Didn't even get the renaissance :/

6YykQQU.png

Here's something I didn't expect, Alphabetia is now a HRE elector! Guess Austria likes me. I immediately repay the favour by voting for her. However I'm unlikely to be able to do anything with it due to being so small.

kW2PtCD.png

HOLD ONTO YOUR HORSES PEOPLE. Something wonderful has happened. Pope being the honourable person he is excommunicated Provence so that he could righteously attack him. Standard stuff, didn't think anything of it. However France was also attacking Provence (I think, wasn't paying attention sorry!), ended up vassalising them and became war leader in the war with the Pope, shattering their alliance. As if that wasn't enough, Hungary still reeling from their full annexation of Wallachia refuses to defend them. To war (finally...)!

7zTM1g7.png

j6GeYBu.png

France carpet siege the Pope down pretty quickly, taking out their entire army in the process. In their peace deal they gave Avignon to their new vassal Provence and also release Urbino. Thanks to the decades of nothing-ness I've fabricated a lot of claims and so Urbino get a nice prompt declaration.

3lZt6fW.png

Florence want it on the Pope fighting and declare war themselves. However i'm not willing to share Italy and so I quickly carpet siege everything. Thanks to some great timing, my 1k stack reach Rome days before Florence's army making me siege leader. This is great, seeing as I cannot actually siege it alone (Alphabetia only have 7k troops). I had actually called Baden into this war in the hopes they would help my take Rome but they seem content on chilling at home.

m0UOKrN.png

sCSdzL2.png

Urbino has no defenses (being only 30 days old) and so the siege finishes within a month and they are fully annexed. That means we can cross off the letter U! Only 24 left to collect.

Iecd2kk.png

However I cannot core my new province just yet as the Pope also has a core on it. I (and I guess Florence) siege down Rome and, after a quick scorch earth of Rome, peace out the Pope. We take all their provinces bar Rome (to avoid the occupation of Rome malus). We gained Umbria (bah another U) and Romagna (which gives us an R!).

VXfDawZ.png

With the war(s) over we unlock our first national idea. I've taken Maritime ideas (Alphabetia rules the med seas!) which with our 6 diplo monarch will get finished pretty quickly.

j94i0yV.png

Lets have a quick look at my relations overview. The Pope being bitter about losing his provinces rivals us and we do the same back. Our alliances are holding nicely and gathering favours. Have also fabricated claims against potential targets.

EfNe9Pi.png

To wrap it up observe a spiteful gesture from the Papal States. Joins my rivals trade league and excommunications me! Beginning to wonder if there's an alternative to this Catholic stuff...

Hj7vD2w.png

Very original "achievement" you made up for a campaign, hopefully you have Dynamic province names off otherwise your letters will constantly be flipping I guess :p. Subbed!

Very original "achievement" you made up for a campaign, hopefully you have Dynamic province names off otherwise your letters will constantly be flipping I guess :p. Subbed!

Hah actually I haven't, mainly because I forgot that option exists. Let's hope Beijing doesn't because New Rome or something...

Haven't had a chance to continue the playthrough this week but should hopefully have an update this weekend. AAR writing is a lot more time consuming than I thought it would be!

AAR writing is a lot more time consuming than I thought it would be!
It can definitely be, especially if you want to use many screenshots or want to cut away most of it to only keep one pop up or something like that. But to me it's always worth it!

Chapter 2 - Protestant is hard to spell without auto-correct
One of things I find most annoying in EU4 are warnings. Seriously what do you want me to do, sit around and do nothing? This isn't CK2! What's even more infuriating about this particular warning is that Venice is currently being pummeled by the Ottomans. Obviously being an ass is more important to Venice than defend her provinces. (Bonus: the eye-rolling Crimea joins Ottoman's event)
mL20kB8.png

Opportunities are still limited, so when the Ottoman's aren't willing to defend Ragusa I declare. They have a trade league and Venice will defend due to the warning, but I've called in Saxoy and Milan with favours and Hungary with the promise of land.
oZuKACG.png

Due to the number of participants the war takes a long time. I am able to unlock my second national idea giving me a nice development cost reduction. Also I manage a 585 day mountainous siege...
1ldc5He.png

PaRjJ9e.png

Eventually all the non-belligerents are knocked out and I am able to make peace with Ragusa. I take Dubrovnik but thanks to dynamic provinces names (which I dismissed as not being a problem in an earlier post) it becomes Ragusa giving me a second R :mad:. Nevermind, at least it is a center of trade. I also give two of the provinces Ragusa took off Serbia to Hungary to keep them happy. Ragusa is humiliated which fulfills an age bonus and keeps my power projection nice and high.
Shortly after the war ends our beloved 6 diplo king dies. Long live the new 6 admin king! The only downside to him taking the throne is that his weak claim leads to pretender rebels rising. This is on top of the separatists that just spawned.
29A8tYB.png

Seemed to be blessed in this game at the moment. Another great heir, 554 Leone! Sadly he also has a weak claim (seriously what are the Xyzs doing, picking their heirs from strangers on the street?)
VrIGNeN.png

Trouble on the horizon, Aragon has a female heir. Would rather not have the Iberian wedding this game. Also you can see Hungary getting overrun by the Ottomans whilst trying to defend Albania. RIP Skanderbeg.
QZ9G97M.png

Poor Pope. The rebel peasants can't fully siege Rome but will not give up. Eventually an ally of theirs will come and clear them out during a war but for now they remain is this deadlock.
plAVrud.png

Mildly infuriating bug(?). If declare war on Aragon I can call in France with the promise of land. If I declare on their subject they won't join me. I want to sever that personal union but will have to wait.
Meanwhile my third national idea is unlocked.
c0rfUAD.png

VoMC8qh.png

The bigger the ally, the slower the favours accumulate. Therefore the better way to gather favours for big allies is to perform well during their wars. Here Austria calls me in on their war with Bohemia. I spend the war sieging provinces and picking easy fights. This pumps up my war participation score so that by the end I am able to earn 33 favours from Austria.
R133A4u.png

4VOuqsU.png

Shadow Kingdom event fires and I choose not to stay in the HRE (it means I lose my elector status :( ). As an Italian nation you don't really want to stay in the HRE as you get a permanent debuff (believe its -2 dip rep and something else). This means I am no longer protected by Austria's allies, however I've managed to ally France (they haven't rivaled Austria yet so no acceptance penalty) so I feel pretty safe.
sJr7mka.png

Gathered enough favours to call in Mantau and Hungary in a war against Ferrara. Ferrara own a river estuary so it is financially important we attack them. The old enemy Rome and previously ally Milan (them and Savoy were forced to break our alliance at some point) defends Ferrara.
jHNBfwt.png

Its reformation time! The first center appears in Gelre which should hopefully convert some of those rich English trade node provinces. Here's something I didn't know - you can't switch religions whilst at war. Not sure why though, perhaps it is to avoid dues vult shenanigans.
I get my first reformation event and accept the option to flip one of my provinces to Protestant. This adds another 3% to reformation desire.
CmIwyHg.png

DuQeerA.png

Like most wars in the latest version of EU4 this one becomes a game of 'who can siege the fastest'. Here Hungary and I are trying to siege the capitals of Milan and Ferrara respectively, whilst they siege my capital. Mantau was full annexed by Ferrara early on in the war (RIP little buddy :( ). Hungary wins the sieging race, quickly followed by me. I peace out Milan and then make peace with Ferrara taking both Modena and river estuary Ferrara (M and F gained!) and leaving them with their newly acquired province of Mantau.
SfN7Onq.png

9dsKbS0.png

With the war over we switch to Protestant. This spawns a center of reformation in Umbria, right on the doorstep of the Pope (I'm sure this is appreciated). The rest of the provinces will slowly get converted by either myself or the center. Thanks to the huge prestige I had before the switch my current prestige is only -18.
8yntSP8.png

Will leave it there for now. Currently we have got 5 letters (A, F, M, R, U). So I could spell farm should I so wish. Or mura, which google reliably informs me is a starch obtained from cuckoopint root. Learn something new everyday.

Oh no, I actually think if you're an elector when the Shadow Kingdom fires you are liberated from the penalties, but I'm not 100% sure either... Would have to test actually, but it's too late either. And see, I knew dynamic province names would cause havoc :D!

I very much like the concept.

Looks nice, how many Q X Z Y are there actually? Not a lot right?

Looks nice, how many Q X Z Y are there actually? Not a lot right?

Yeah they're a small number, but they're not as hard to reach as I first expected. For example Europe has 1 Z province and I think 4 Y provinces. The middle east has a bunch of Q provinces. X is a little tricky with all but 1 within Ming's domain

Mildly infuriating bug(?). If declare war on Aragon I can call in France with the promise of land. If I declare on their subject they won't join me. I want to sever that personal union but will have to wait.
You might want to test this in a non-Ironman game, but you might have been able to call France in the war directly after you DOWed.

You might want to test this in a non-Ironman game, but you might have been able to call France in the war directly after you DOWed.

Ha, you are correct. Just tested this with the papal states and was able to call in Castile after declaring. Assume that because the overlord takes over as war leader the AI realises it can get land out of this. Will have to remember this in future games

Chapter 3 - Galley Ho!
We start this chapter with an alliance from Tunis. Our mutual rival of Venice has caused this and it is useful as they also allied to the Ottomans (believe the AI is more reluctant to declare war on you if your allied to one of their allies.
OJCmv65.png

Out of curiosity I try offering my troops as condottieri to Salzburg. But they won't accept due to 'having no land connection' o_O I assume there is some sort of anti-exploit reason for having this modifier but what is the point of putting a feature into the game which is so damn difficult to use? I think the only timeI've done anything related to condottieri is to get the achievement for it...
OPjRYc7.png

Rant over so now its time to actually use my troops against Venice. Austria's cruel king recently died so they will join us using favours. Hungry will join for land, however we both desire the same provinces so they are not called in. Savoy is a medium sized nation but with the emperor on my side we can't lose this war.
Rawz7P5.png

Final center of reformation spawns in Dithmarschen. Go Protestant Peasant Power!
Would probably have preferred it to be in central German for a more even spread but it will have to do.
Kuiw9bO.png

I've added three cannons to my army now which means I can now breach walls on all fort provinces. Combine this with my naval dominance (running at +30% galley combat thanks to naval doctrine and ideas) it means that coastal forts are taken pretty quickly. Papal States are immediately peaced out as soon as Rome falls.
hl88kxP.png

fnppfZG.png

The Pope excommunicates the devil incarnate! He has been using his satanic powers to swing elections in his favour. How unholy!
aC77rPw.png

Gained enough church power for the first aspect. I do quite like the Protestant religion. You get small but useful buffs as well as bonuses to tax and relations. I've taken the legitimacy increase and my first aspect since both my current king and heir have weak claims.
HYfYvHL.png

Venezia is taken and with the last of Venice's navy is destroyed.
XHW2n4h.png

The rest of the war is spent sieging down Savoy. Savoy has rivaled me and so I separate peace them, forcing them to release Montferrat and annual their alliances with England, Aragon and Milan. Always try to cripple potential expansion targets / rivals if the are non-belligerent.
In the peace with Venice I take Venezia (+V!), Dalmatia (+D!) and Crete (+C!). Crete is the first province I've taken that I didn't have a claim for. It is a great province to grab for a nation wanting Mediterranean dominance as it allows fabrication on Egypt. It is important I stop Ottoman growth and grabbing the provinces around the Nile will do so.
Phw36lc.png

Hardest choice of the day: France or Austria? France has finally rivaled them and now is threatening to break my alliance because of it (I do like that notification, its really useful to see what's is annoying them). I decide to stick with France and break it off with Austria (no Hapsburgs on this throne!). France has the potential to grow a lot stronger than Austria and so believe they will be the better ally.
oim1pxQ.png

Ottomans didn't like my recent conquests, will need to be wary of them...
MyAJWuO.png

Milan has jumped on the weakened Venice. Meanwhile after taking the center of trade Venezia I have gained the majority of trade power within Venice, raking in 10 ducats a month! The only center of trade I don't have at the moment is Milan.
QRi973J.png

ey4QH2w.png

The age of reformation hits! Converting to Protestant has already fulfilled one objective. In celebration of this glorious age my newly convert allies Florence declare on the Pope for Rome.
P9KuzOv.png

Turns out Milan isn't too great at war and is being overrun by Venice. They will end up giving Venice their capital Milan and the province below it. I've unlocked my fourth national idea, which gives me my 10% merc discipline.
J9Zuunv.png

And you are outta here! Florence take Rome but luckily for the Pope, Leige offers them a place of refuge. The Papal States are now a HRE OPM in (and quite comically named might I add) Loon.
VFPVLaL.png

Right, time to sum up my current alphabet: A, C, D, F, M, R, U and V. Gained three letters from last time!
Dumping them into an anagram finder gives me the word 'fraud'. Oh, was hoping for something more noble...

More letters are good, and laying the groundwork to plunder the Middle East

Chapter 4 - Its not a true backstab if they live
Hungary calls me into a war against Poland. Despite having Austria on our side the numbers are relatively even. Poland did take the jagiellon decision but somehow lost the union. I'm running low on manpower so I'm not too keen on helping that much...
eXOCrGF.png

Low isn't empty though, so while the other war happen it's time to declare on Milan for Parma. They are only allied with Frankfurt and with no forts will be a quick and easy land grab.
moOPatc.png

Nothing is ever easy is it? My king dies and his heir takes over. With 5 4 4 stats he will power through tech and ideas. Weak claim leads to pretenders that need to be dealt with.
aZABzaC.png

Sieging down Milan allows us to make peace and so we gain Parma (+P!).
Bdsbs2C.png

Meanwhile the other war I'm supposedly in it taking its toll on Hungary and Austria. So much so that Styrian separatists have risen up. Sadly they won't be able to break free but its great to see them out and about.
5KaOIF6.png

Ravensburg kicks of the Reformed centers of reformation, though they are already surrounded by Protestant neighbours so why be so difficult Ravensburg?
k253qnY.png

Comet event and a below average heir? What did I do to deserve this?! You know, aside from helping drive the head of the Catholic religion from their homelands.
wMA1f1c.png

Determined to win the war without bothering to siege down the war goal has left Hungary is a pretty weakened state. Oh well, at least they aren't bordering an immensely strong nation with desires on their la-
oV7qC4G.png

Oh noes! Those cursed Ottomans are attacking my good ally Hungary! No matter, I know that together Hungary, Castile, Austria and I can face them! United we can stand against their barbaric tide and - oh wait you ain't going to help Austria? Erm, well in that case then there's only one thing I can do...
X7ix3UW.png

If you answered backstab Hungary and then ally with their attackers one year later you are correct! Sorry Hungary, letter collecting comes above loyality.
I white peaced Poland as soon as I declined Hungary's defensive call to arms. In retaliation for my (somewhat) despicable actions the Knights of St John raid my coasts.
ZGjjarn.png

Ottoman's take a sizeable chunk out of poor Hungary. Hungary are understandably mad and rival me. Austria follows suit shortly.
awIDFka.png

A third reformation!?!?!?!!? Seems so as England has chosen to found their new church. More the merrier I say!
11432IF.png

I haven't been at war with Venice for a least thirty seconds and so we declare on them. I call in my pals Florence to assist me.
hBsmHAu.png

I've been wealthy enough to drill my troops constantly and have ended up with a general with 5 fire and 3 shock. Needlessly to say he is able to destroy their combined forces of Venice and Liege at Dalmatia and promptly proceeds to stack wipe them.
0Qjwmfw.png

War has taken its toll on Hungary and a civil war has erupted. This is good for me as I have desires on Lika.
xsQz1eE.png

I've started introducing Force Religion into my non-belligerent peace deals (assuming they are small enough). In doing so I fulfill an age objective as well as remove troublesome Catholics. An added bonus of doing it on the Knights is that it will stop pesky coastal raids.
RcUYs8o.png

Sadly general fire fingers has died. However we have a new leader for our troops, may I introduce general cannon calves.
yaqhXWn.png

With no allies, troops or provinces we make peace with Venice. I take Treviso (+T!) and Verona (another V :/). Would have taken Friuli too but ae is becoming a limiting factor. I settle for a bunch of core revokes instead.
OizqAgk.png

Paradox deserve credit for the humourous event answers. Thought I share this one from the Marinetime ideas.
G91TRhb.png

Another look at the reformation progress. Not a lot of Catholics left within the HRE. Be interesting to see who joins the Catholics in the league war.
C4Pn7VE.png

Will end the chapter here. Gained 2 letters bringing my collection to A, C, D, F, M, P, R, T, U and V. The anagram finder says: dumpcart - a cart that can be tilted to empty its contents. Just like I 'dumped' Hungary's sorry ass. Or did they technically dump me? Who knows anymore.

Last edited:
A very pleasing Reformation.