• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This autumn is turning out to be busier than I thought! There's much to do with Cities: Skylines and there's a quite a bit of events and travelling happening for me. It has not been helpful that the schools have started here in Finland and it always comes with the inevitable waves of plague. I caught the flu last week and was out of office until yesterday. Somehow the team managed without me and the scenario editor is moving along nicely. I hear that we might have some new disasters to show you soon too! However this week and the next we'll still fully focus on the editor so we get to start the work on the scenarios themselves.

So there are a bunch of things to work on for Natural Disasters and it is definitely keeping the team busy. I guess that is a good thing if you think about it from the player's perspective ;) We'll start to go through the features themselves in detail and explain what the expansion is all about in upcoming dev diaries. Any specific feature you would like to hear about first?

Some days I can't believe where the success of Cities: Skylines has taken Colossal Order and me personally. Yesterday I got to speak to Their Majesties King Harald V and Queen Sonja of Norway and the President of Finland Sauli Niinistö during Their Majesties state visit to Finland. Such a surreal experience and I was very honored to have gotten the chance (also super nervous beforehand...). Next week I'll travel to Barcelona to speak at a conference about urban planning and the week after that I'll head to Mallorca. We get a lot of requests for different events nowadays, but unfortunately can't attend all of them. We do have a game to develop you know ;)

14192598_10154723039779672_5796088408904667122_n.jpg

That's me on the stage acting totally cool in front of royalty :D

In any case I better get back to work, looking forward to sharing more with you guys in the upcoming weeks!

Cheers,
Mariina

It's so cute to see you grow. I started following CO when CiM2 was announced and since then, there flowed a lot of water down the rhine. It's like seeing your little child grow and somehow I feel a little bit proud to be part of that. Keep the good work and, if possible, always have fun!

It's so cute to see you grow. I started following CO when CiM2 was announced and since then, there flowed a lot of water down the rhine. It's like seeing your little child grow and somehow I feel a little bit proud to be part of that. Keep the good work and, if possible, always have fun!

Aww, that is so nice of you :) Happy to have you with us Sotrax!

will the King and Queen be playing CS now? LOL

Haha, that would be awesome. Think about all the urban planners in Oslo... "The King has ordered us to build this new area here, he has tested it in Cities: Skylines, so it must work."

Reactions:
Fantastic stuff. Are we going to see more packs like the art deco pack? I hope so, and I'm really surprised there hasn't been more building packs yet!

Aww, that is so nice of you :) Happy to have you with us Sotrax!

Haha, that would be awesome. Think about all the urban planners in Oslo... "The King has ordered us to build this new area here, he has tested it in Cities: Skylines, so it must work."
on that note, I'd love to hear more about the talk in Barcelona. using gaming in urban planning is becoming quite The Thing, isn't it? I'd love to hear your take on that

Reactions:
Any specific feature you would like to hear about first?

I'm interested what radio stations will offer.
Is it just ingame music, or will there also important informations regarding citizen demands be broadcasted.
Can you interact in some kind with people?
Will there be more sections in workshop for radio stations. Is there something that changes gameplay, or is it just a plop down building and you got it.
New milestones, more things to unlock?

Reactions:
i wish to see when the comet crash into the city
ofcourse it causes an explosion and stuff
i would like to see parked car alarms goes off
since in real life car alarms would go off making that peep car alarm sound from the shockwave of the blast (explosion) and also people who are driving would have accidents because of course they would be distracted and some people would get out of there cars and run away and leave them there
and also during an earthquake
:)

Reactions:
hopefully, there will be a bombastic low-frequency impact sound when a asteroid hit the ground - so my subwoofer will blast me away (so some kind of real motion gaming) :D

maybe there will be some kind of a special (military or police or fire dept) unit, which will put cars away from the street and squashing fires, lava, etc. away in a shorter time than normal (ans usally few) fire stations will do - so that there are really a LOT of them repairing the city and we can see them (of course only, if you have built them before)

Reactions:
Speaking of flu.. I currently got one too, shame on this season :D Anyway, with Reaper's Due out for CK2 it would be really nice if flu or some other epidemy or virus is one of those disasters in upcoming C:S DLC ;)

Many inhabitants getting ill and not being able to work would be nice addition to the game, altogether with some effort needed to stop further spreading. And hospitals or medicines (even quarantines perhaps or home curfew/face masks policy) would turn really imporant in such situation.

Reactions:
Desaster wishlist:
- water flooding!
- lava flooding (after volcano eruption)
- earthquakes (with tsunamis?)
- not only tornados, also hurricanes
- in snow themes, some sort of real cold temperatures so that very much heat is needed
- asteroids
- massive rain/snow?
- EMP or sun winds that kills power lines for a while
- etc.?

Reactions:
I'm only interested in the free Scenario Editor. That is going to be the best thing to happen to C:S since we got night lights.
Oh and it's free!
And then I got to thinking about the natural disasters... while we've seen the video and some screenshots, nothing has been said about the sound.
Don't you think it might be worthwhile to commission a suspense laden soundtrack for the disaster events? There's nothing like an orchestral backscore to provide the right urgent ambience to devastation.
If this hasn't been planned as part of the development, it should be given serious consideration I feel.
Just my penny's worth ;)

Reactions:
i wish to see if there is an earthquake some parts of bridge could collapse or the bridge could tilt on one of it's sides
that would add realism to the game

20070801_085239_Bridge_Collapse copy.jpg
db5fdb7f20ce1ab7f3475d04a25b4f0d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Reactions:
I think as long as there are no visible dead people it's OK - within reason.

Reactions: