• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for the additional comments guys. Hopefully I will be able to upload an update a little later, which should address most comments made recently.

so far so good but you should really do something about all the nationalist revolt?

While I am waiting on my badboy points to fall, I have largely been picking options to lower militancy whenever events occur. Other than that, I have not really found an option to stop the small revolts (with the occasional large one as seen in the last update) from occurring sporadically except for crushing them of course. So any ideas would be much appreciated, I am attempting to keep my empire together after all.

Chapter 15: The aftermath, a changing Europe (1866-69)

The end of the fighting saw, like the previous Austrian-Prussian War, Prussia - in the eyes of the other European nations - temporarily cast aside from the Great Powers. This lack of influence severed Prussia's ties with the German minor states. The South German Confederation's actions during the war, coupled with the rapid industrialization of the state (partially funded by Austria), resulted in the nation being seen as a Great Power of Europe. Ranked among the European elite, the nation set to work (alongside Austria) to bring the German minors under their political control to prevent the Kingdom of Prussia doing the same and attempting to once more lead the north German minors to unite.

Seventy years prior to the end of the Prussian-Austrian Brother's War, Poland had been removed from the map of Europe. This change in the map had partially been carried out by the Austrian Empire, resulting in the nation containing a population of around 900,000 Polish adult males by 1865. The Austrian decision to revert the Third Partition of Poland – recreating the Polish kingdom – was aimed at weakening Prussia, but it was one that came with a risk for the empire. The rise in Polish nationalism, up until 1865 aimed largely at Prussia and Russia, now had a solid base to organize and from the empire’s point of view create a possible future threat. However, the new Polish kingdom had fallen under the South German Confederation’s political control and thus appeared to present no threat to Austria. To ensure such, the Austrian diplomatic Corps was dispatched to establish solid relations.

WPLXp58.png

The change of borders to the north of the Austrian Empire​

To the south, the war had highlighted the broken power of the Ottoman Empire. Moldavia and Wallachia, once liberated from Ottoman rule by the Austrian Empire, voted on a peaceful union and in doing so formed Romania. Like the Poles, the Austrian Empire contained a sizable Romanian minority of roughly 750,000 male adults or close to 7 per cent of the empire's male population. In similar vein, to prevent future tension, the diplomatic Corps was dispatched to establish friendly relations. While smooth talking was able to establish a foundation, it was the funding that was soon sent to Romania that boosted relations. Following the creation of a single state, the newly formed Romanian Government declared war on the Ottoman Empire to liberate their remaining countrymen under Turk rule; Austrian gold provided the funding to the fledgling Romanian army and allow it's march south.

The Romanian declaration of war was just the start of the Balkans War. The Ottoman Empire was soon at war with Serbia, Greece, and Montenegro. The Serbs, backed by the Russian Empire, were able to make quick ground and capture all territory of Greater Serbia. By the end of 1866, the Romanians had forced the Ottomans to acknowledge Romanian sovereignty over the territories they claimed along the Black Sea. The Serbs, likewise by the end of the year, gained the territories they sought and - thanks to the Russians - were able to gain access to the Black Sea and further territories. The British, at war with the French, were not able to come to the aid of Greece and Montenegro until 1868. The Greeks fought hard, capturing the lands that historically belonged to them and ones that contained large Greek majorities. Yet, they were unable to force the Ottomans to the peace table. It was only after British interference, and their military overrunning much of the Asiatic Ottoman territories, that the Turks surrendered. The surrender to the British and Greeks sparked uprisings in the remaining Ottoman European territories. By the end of 1869, the empire had lost practically all of it's territory in Europe with the exception of a small stretch around Istanbul.

RqYfSvZ.png

The Balkans, 1869​

The war, and the completion of von Bach's industrialization program, had established Austria as the strongest European continental power second only to the French. Despite the horrendous losses suffered during the war, and exacerbated by a flu pandemic following the conclusion of the fighting and the return of the troops, the military had managed to retain it's pre-war strength and Bach's Government began the slow progress of further expansion. The loss of the fleet had spurred on technical innovations to ensure a repeat would not happen. While newly designed ships across Europe included iron armor, none had been put into service for the Austrian navy. The first design was laid down in 1868, and to prepare the way for a new all-iron navy, an extensive infrastructure program was initiated to greatly expand the port facilities available to the empire and to allow - one day - the construction of a navy able to take on all regional foes.

8FCx5dl.png

Von Bach's Government were not only able to achieve military and industrial objectives the previous liberal one had failed to, they also spurred on domestic and scientific achievements. Before the end of the war, colonial archaeological digs - funded despite the heavy fighting - turned up excellent finds that were shipped home to provide a much needed distraction. In the post-war era, botanist and geographical expeditions were launched further enhancing the empire's prestige. The highlight of this period was the opening of the Suez Canal on 2 July 1869, a triumph of Austrian engineering. With this, the empire gained a new objective to their traditional long term ones.

r2uqXxe.png

By 1869, the diplomatic Corps of the Austrian Empire was flexing their muscle to the max. Not only were new European states being courted to bolster the Central Alliance (Austria and the South German Confederation (as well as both their minor allies and puppets)) to counter the Franco-Russo alliance (that now included an enlarged Serbia as well as the Sicilian kingdom), they were attempting to bring Japan (an Asian "European" Power who had industrialized and were on the raise) into their sphere to spread Austrian influence into Asia, but more importantly had begun to challenge the United States' Monroe Doctrine by investing in Panama aiming to build a second world changing canal.

Last edited:
May I ask what you use for your pictures, both for uploading an cropping? They are very nice, and I am trying to get into AARing. =)

May I ask what you use for your pictures, both for uploading an cropping? They are very nice, and I am trying to get into AARing. =)

Good old MS Paint for the initial editing, cropping, and adding borders. www.imgur.com for uploading, and if needed additional cropping.

That Derbia needs to be cut down to size.... Glad to see the poles gain independence, despite Austria not recovering Silesia for herself.

So, with thr SGF being now a GP I assume unification is off the table at least until late game?

From the comments made by you guys, I looked up the history of Silesia but it was too late for this war. That will be a goal for a future war when it inevitably takes place.

The enlarged Serbia was a bit of a shock. I noted that the Russian AI had added a war goal, but I thought it was for them lol. As for some form of German Empire, I think I will stick with the Austrian Empire and an alliance with the SGF.

Success on all fronts! That Poland... That looks like it gutted Prussia good. There's a good bit of industry around Breslau/Wroclaw in the game, isn't there? Yes, bit of a double-edged sword for you if the Poles get uppity, but overall I feel much better about your odds versus the Poles than versus an unbowed Prussia.

The Ottomans are spectacularly done for. Not bad per se, but the way Serbia was enlarged is troublesome. Especially when you consider they are part of the Franco-Russian alliance, which also includes Sicily - you are being encircled, moreso than Germany ever was!

Good to see that liberated Poland destroying Prussia (they still need to loose that other enclave to Russia thoough in order to get better borders) and the Balkan war destroying the Ottomans! However, now you need to get your revenge and reclaim and fulfill the Austrian ambitions by taking back Silesia and at least Bosnia from Serbia, if not more. Also perhaps finding another great power ally would be benificial.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have attempted to implement the strategy suggested, although I have not had the chance. I figured I would be able to utilize a crisis to break the Franco-Russian alliance and thus be in a better position to take on one or the other (help the Germans take Alsace-Lorraine comes to mind, or reducing Serbia and expanding eastwards). As always, things get in the way ... :p

Chapter16: 1871 vintage, a fine year for rebellions

The 1870s opened with a frenzy of diplomatic action by the Austrian Empire. Von Bach's Government remained keen on building up European alliances and securing the empire’s place in the world by expanding their global influence. For the latter, a renewed effort was made to befriend the Japanese (and being the only Great Power to do so) and to secure Austrian authority in Panama; the latter nation proved to be a hot zone of diplomatic action, as the Americans and several of the main European powers all were attempting to gain construction rights for an Atlantic-Pacific canal. In Europe, von Bach’s efforts proved fruitful with Saxe-Weimar and Montenegro both joining the Austrian’s sphere and military alliance. Romania, next European target, proved slightly more elusive. While the Austrian effort was clearly a success, more time was needed to cement relations.

On the home front, von Bach had initiated a military and infrastructure spending program; both mutually supporting, but both aimed at their own respective areas. The latter aimed to increase the number of docks available to the empire to further feed commerce, but at the same time create the facilities needed to create an all-metal navy by 1875. The former spending plan aimed to increase the Army by raising a further two army corps. Economy wise, the income from exploiting the various ore mines in the empire's colonies allowed von Bach to create a balanced budget while decreasing taxes and tariffs; a move aimed at further aiding the economy as well as providing relief for the lower and middle classes.

Despite these positive moves, and no signs of unrest detected, the empire was rocked by a well-organized and mass revolt rapidly dubbed – among the circles of the aristocracy – as Austria’s “French Revolution”, which broke out on 18 January 1871. The rebels, dubbing themselves Republicans and their armed forces ‘republican guards’, mustered a strength of around 170,000 men (almost as large as the Austrian Army). Around half the rebel force took to the streets in Vienna, with a sizeable force seizing the forts of the national redoubt around the capital, and the rest focused within the German portion of the empire.

kUwiHG7.png

Situation map of the rebellion​

Garrisoning Vienna was the newly formed, and not yet up to full strength, VI Corps. The troops rapidly fortified key areas of the city, and whisked away the emperor and his entourage to safer and more defensible locations. Despite being vastly outnumbered, the troops were able to repulse the initial rebel efforts with heavy losses buying much needed time for the rest of the army to move to reinforce the capital. As this bloody urban battle took place, the rest of the army launched a campaign to rid the empire of rebels and relieve the capital. Engaging and destroying the outer most rebel positions, the Austrian Army proceeded to spiral in towards the capital; clearing one position after another.

On 3 February, before the arrival of reinforcements in the capital, VI Corps had secured Vienna - at a heavy cost to themselves - and routed the rebels. Despite this victory, several rebel strongholds still existed and an entire Austrian infantry brigade was overrun by rebellious forces. The national redoubt, which was expected to prove especially tricky to overcome, was liberated with mixed results depending on the size of the rebel garrisons. The final battles, tackling large concentrations of rebel forces, went on through the rest of the month and into March with moderate losses to Austria's army.

Praha_Barricades_1848.jpg

Period newspaper depiction of the fighting​

On 18 March, the rebellion officially came to an end. Just over 25,000 troops had been killed and the initial rebel body count was placed at 181,000, slightly larger than the Austrian’s had initially thought. With the fighting over, the troops began moving back towards their peacetime barracks. This re-deployment had only just ended when a Hungarian insurrection was launched. Two Austrian corps were, by luck, practically on top of the rallying locations of the Hungarians and several quick victories were secured before the Hungarians had a chance to organize. Despite this, latter Hungarian positions were more stubborn in their resistance. Fighting would only last three weeks, as the two Austrian corps was able to rapidly drive home their various advantages. While victory came fast, the two corps lost a combined total of 20 per cent: nearly 14,000 men; a casualty level not easy to reinforce. Hungarian losses amounted to around 70,000.

n3WY2oN.png

A snippet from a summer newspaper.
Despite the funding provided, a South German Federation expedition
found the source of the Nile.​

The summer brought with it yet another rebellion as anarchists rose up in several locations. The rebels, 75,000 strong, consisted of individual cells dotted across the empire. The isolated nature ensured the rebellion posed little threat, and allowed the army to engage the cells one at a time. The concentrated numbers of rebels in each location, however, allowed cell to put up a fight and the distance between each resulted in a long summer of maneuvering. By the time the anarchists had been put to the sword, a small number of militant Slovakians tried their luck; but were likewise unsuccessful leaving behind a further 9,000 dead.

Since the beginning of the year, the army had lost 50,000 men; an unreasonable number that required the raising of reinforcements to replace decimated units rather than the creation of new ones. More worrying, the four rebellions had cost the empire 333,000 men. By 20 October, when the last Slovakian terrorist elements had been dealt with, the in-fighting had caused the empire the loss of around three per cent of its population. During the final months of the year, the rebellions - while shocking in their overall nature - appeared to have a positive spin for the Government and Emperor; their defeat had apparently destroyed the fighting spirit of the revolutionaries, caused a backlash upon communists (who were seen as the main culprit), and forced a turn of tactics for the remaining movements. Civil disobedience, rather than armed insurrection, appeared to be the new method favored.

4Ek9Upa.png

Reactions:
Yikes! That's bloodletting on a massive scale! Not only was your army hammered (I hope the Prussians are still suitably cowed not to take advantage of this), but a noticeable drop in your total population is rather terrifying. I hope this is the last major uprising for a while, otherwise I don't know how Austria will breed its way out of this demographic slide.

That newspaper cartoon is a great find, it fits the theme of your update perfectly and has a nice style. Do you know what event it depicts?

Thanks very much. The uprisings were a bit of a surprise for me too; I did not expect any as everything seemed to have calmed down.

As for the population hits, the counter shows I gained around 13k for the month the game is in; so I lost about three years worth of people during that year. Not overly bad ... . :confused:Ethnic group wise, little has changed since the start of the game. 1836: 20.3 per cent South German, 16.7 per cent Hungarian, 14.4 Italian, 10.7 Czech, 7.5 Pole, 7.1 Romanian, and the rest is a mix of Slavic ethnic groups. Bearing in mind I have only expanded overseas, my population groups are currently as thus: 19.2 South German, 16 Hungarian, 13.9 Italian, 10 Czech, 7.7 Pole, and 6.5 Romanian. The remainder is a mix of Slavic groups and new colonial subjects. So despite the high losses, lots of people still angry with me!

The newspaper is a cartoon, if I remember correctly and am not mistaken, of the 1848 Austrian revolution; in particular, the people taking to the barricades in Vienna.

I believe those rebellions show how vulnerable you are and how more liberal politics are a necesity.

I tried the liberal party for ten years with the intention of becoming a constitutional democracy. Despite an increase in the upper (and only) house towards liberal politics, there was a handful of reforms and that was it. Not to mention the hit to my military score, and the inability to build factories saw my status plummet to seventh place and slowly descending to eighth.

Input is appreciated, although - for now - a return to the liberals I think is off the cards.

That newspaper cartoon is a great find, it fits the theme of your update perfectly and has a nice style. Do you know what event it depicts?

The newspaper is a cartoon, if I remember correctly and am not mistaken, of the 1848 Austrian revolution; in particular, the people taking to the barricades in Vienna.

I believe the cartoon depicts 1848 fights in Prague. Bohemian white-red banner is clearly visible as well as eastern tower of Charles bridge.

I believe the cartoon depicts 1848 fights in Prague. Bohemian white-red banner is clearly visible as well as eastern tower of Charles bridge.
That makes sense. I thought that looked like a red-and-white flag and I wondered if it was a Polish event. With your comment about the Bohemian banner and the Charles Bridge, I think you must be right.

Thank you :)

Thanks for the comment and support. The war has come and gone, and a solution to the above problems may have also arrived. Just need the time to write something up; probably Monday or Tuesday.

Chapter 17: Bohemians and Germans (1871-72)

On 19 December 1871, the South German Confederation’s ambassador addressed Franz Joseph and his assembled government requesting military support against the Kingdom of Prussia. As this address was given, South German troops had already crossed into Prussia seeking to remove the latter’s political control over the minor German states and assert the Confederation's authority over them (a war to attempt to settle the argument over there being only one dominant German power in Europe). Having recently been schooled on Prussia's actions during the War of Austrian Succession and the Seven Year's War, Franz Joseph had been advised to seek out an opportunity to seize Prussia remaining grip on Silesia (an acknowledgement that the actual lost lands would never be recovered, now belonging to the newly recreated Poland - a South German puppet). The emperor pledged his full support to the German cause, with the sole condition that Austria would annex Gorlitz once the fighting as over.

Before the end of the day, as messages were being dispatched across the empire to military units and across Europe to Austria's allies, a major uprising occurred within the northern territories of the Austrian Empire. Bohemian nationalists rose up seizing important transit routes towards Prussia and cutting off the border garrison in Aussig. Most within the Austrian elite saw this as yet another wave in the revolutionary mindset of 1871 and a possible indication of ethnic fractures within the empire; however a vocal minority saw the timely uprising as a Prussian backed insurgency, and called for even greater concessions following their inevitable defeat.

The Austrian peacetime deployment maintained a garrison in the fortress of Aussig, on the Austrian-Prussian frontier, to prevent any repeat of Prussia’s previous surprise attack. The Bohemian uprising, in one swift stroke, rendered this garrison isolated. Rather than being a bulwark to Prussian aggression, the garrison now appeared as a marooned liability and left open the possibility of an entire Corps being wiped out before the rest of the army could move into position. Much to the surprise of the Austrian military, reports flooded into Vienna of the Prussian Army's preoccupation with attempting to defend their western territories from the Germans, while also launching an offensive into Poland.

This respite allowed the Aussig garrison to strike south into the rear of the Bohemian rebels, while the rest of the Austrian army attacked northwards. Had the army been concentrated, this would have been a quick victory; instead the campaign was slow as troops arrived piecemeal for the push north. Over the following two months, the encircling operation took effect and by 11 February the uprising had been crushed. An estimated 75,000 Bohemian rebels were killed in the fighting, bringing the overall total of insurrectionists killed to just over 400,000 in the span of only 13 months. The campaign against the Bohemian rebels had also resulted in the loss of 15,000 troops (making a total of 75,000 loss since the beginning of 1871), although these losses were quickly made up by new drafts.

While the Austrian Empire was able to bring its army up to full strength, despite the losses suffered to rebels, it had temporarily abandoned the Aussig fortress. Several days following the defeat of the rebels, the Prussian military crossed the border without incident. The Austrian military, now concentrated to the south, swiftly reacted. Ninety-nine thousand troops moved north, engaging the Prussians on 19 February. The latter, 40,000 strong, were outnumbered in every respect (infantry, cavalry, and artillery). However, the Prussian troops made better use of the lay of the land and had manned the Austrian’s own fortress. The Prussians held off the Austrians for four days. During this time, under repeated Austrian attacks, they lost almost half their force, but were able to inflict close to 40,000 casualties upon the Austrian Army before they slunk back across the border. Additional fighting took place along the border, as additional Prussian units attempted to cross southwards. These too were repulsed, but likewise with lopsided casualty results.

Having taken the field and liberated Aussig, the Austrian Army was poised for an offensive north. The end of the month saw a short pause while the army reorganized. Brigades, mauled by the previously battles, were transferred to two reserve Corps based in Vienna (one in the process of being formed, and the other understrength as a result of the yearlong fighting and being used as a reserve formation) while fresh troops were sent in their stead. On 26 February, three Austrian Corps launched a general offensive northward leaving two formations behind: one as a follow-up force, and the other as a general reserve.

l9oait0.jpg

Painting depicting an Austrian early victorious cavalry clash​

II Corps marched into the Kingdom of Poland to liberate captured areas and intending to engage Prussian occupation forces, while III and V Corps pushed into Prussia itself and scored an immediate success overrunning a Prussian infantry brigade. A string of victories soon followed. The positive news from Prussia allowed the Austrian military a much easier decision when reports arrived in Vienna of 100,000 Italian rebels having seized Venice. I Corps, the reserve on the frontier, was ordered back to Vienna to absorb the reserve units and to then proceed south to Italy.

B8wnVeS.png

Situation map: Polish-German uprising,
and Austrian front line positions​

While fighting raged, a mass uprising occurred across Prussia and Poland as Pole and German alike rebelled. The working classes, disgruntled with the continuous warfare and the loss of government control, took to the streets against government forces and foreign invaders alike. The uprising here, was later seen as part of a revolutionary spirit sweeping Europe stemming from the riots and fighting within the Austrian borders: a movement that became known as the 1871/2 Revolutions.

IV Corps, the second wave, began moving through Poland to strike into Prussia thus bypassing the current frontline, but was caught up in this fighting along with the Austrians already there attempting to aid Polish forces liberate their country land. With the two Austrian formations isolated and bogged down fighting rebels, the Prussians seized the opportunity that presented itself. A sizeable force attacked the Austrian II Corps, attempting to inflict heavy casualties. The Prussians managed to achieve complete surprise, but were unable to rapidly defeat the II Corps. A prolonged battle followed as the Austrian troops desperately held their positions awaiting reinforcements. By the time the Austrian IV Corps had freed itself from the fighting with the rebels and arrived at the battlefield, II Corps had been cut in half. IV Corps was able to cover the retreat of their compatriots, and the battle raged on until mid-April by which time both sides had suffered heavy losses.

iEZGn0a.png

Situation map depicting the move of III and V Corps
(Prussian reinforcements not shown on this map)​

While II and IV Corps fought in Poland, the Austrian commanders maneuvered to seek a decisive battle and destroy the power of the Prussian military in order to turn their full attention to the buildup of Swedish forces in Poland. The III and V Corps moved further north into Prussian territory and engaged the only remaining sizable opposing force defending the Prussian kingdom. The northern Germans, entrenched, inflicted a catastrophic defeat upon the assaulting force leaving 25,000 dead Austrians in front of their defensive positions.

szewyp6.jpg

A Prussian painting, circa 1873,
depicting the battle.​

By June, the mauled II and IV Corps had moved into Prussia and proceeded to dig-in along the frontline relieving the equally worn down III and V Corps who fell back into Austria to mask the Swedish buildup. I Corps, who had put down the Italian insurrections and retaken Venice (not before the rebels had destroyed the half-built naval facilities), had begun to return north collecting newly raised troops en-route to Vienna.

III and V Corps, having been supplied with new drafts, threw back a Prussian attempt to cross into Austria via Poland, and attempted to deal with the Swedes who had likewise invaded the empire. The first battle was a complete disaster, as the new recruits were mown down by the Swedish regulars. The 31,000 casualties suffered in this endeavor placed the heart of the empire at risk. Despite the losses, the two Corps launched a series of new attacks during late August and into September inflicting over 40,000 Swedish casualties and largely halting their offensive south. The arrival of I Corps, and 40,000 fresh troops, overwhelmed the deflated Swedes who over the course of September and October were ejected out of Austria and chased into Poland with heavy losses; the only forces able to escape were those who crossed into Russian territory.

Despite the defensive stance taken in Prussia by the Austrian military, the heavy losses inflicted upon the Prussians during Austria’s disastrous battles had taken their toll. The Prussians were unable to cope with the South German, Spanish, Swiss, and Italian contingents who pressed them from the west all the way to Berlin knocking all of the minor German states out of the war along the way. The liberation of Polish territory, largely due to Austrian involvement, and the defeat of the Swedish military brought the war to a close and the Prussians to the peace table.

Impressed by the scale of their victory, the South Germans sought to extend their physical control of German territory as well as fulfill their war goal of forcing the Prussians to admit hegemony. As agreed at the beginning of the war, Austria’s annexation demand was obliged, but the Spanish demand for Norwegian territory (seen as unreasonable and unwarranted) was dropped.

2PmA0SI.png

The new map of northern Europe​

Fighting across all fronts (inside Prussia, Poland, facing the Swedish military, and engaging the Italian rebels) resulted in 224,449 Austrian casualties. The Austrian soldiers and commanders had demonstrated on numerous occasions their skill and ability to inflict heavy defeats upon their enemies, but time after time lapses in judgement, misreading terrain, and misdirecting large scale battles resulted in the throwing away of needless lives. The Austrian military set to work to once again rebuild broken formations, and adapt the lessons learned from the war. While losses were high, the Austrian military machine had inflicted more losses upon their enemies than they had received: 144,145 Swedish casualties, 98,513 Italian rebels, 81,938 Prussians, and over 16,000 Polish-German rebels.

Did Spain demand some territory in Norway? :p Anyway, now Prussia has been crushed, but the South German Confederation might be a threat to your own hegemony over the germans!