• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Although I support the essance of the act proposed by the Honourable Member for Monmouth, it would only increase the amount of red tape regarding clean water, as the water boards would already be responsible for the quality of the bodies of water. It is thus that I cannot support this bill.

The Prime Minister

Mr. Speaker,

If the Prime Minister were truly engaged in the matter of avoiding "red tape," certainly the Government proposal to establish an overtly bureaucratic agency, given free reign to do in concept all, but in reality nothing, would be opposed on the same point of avoiding regulatory maneuvering? Despite the claim otherwise, the proposal that I have submitted would not establish a network of legal chains, but rather promote a more appropriate growth in British industry, even if it is at a temporary cost to those certain nationalized industries that this Government has done such a great deal to protect, even at cost to the British electorate.

Talfryn Ryley,
MP for Monmouth

Mr. Speaker,

If the Prime Minister were truly engaged in the matter of avoiding "red tape," certainly the Government proposal to establish an overtly bureaucratic agency, given free reign to do in concept all, but in reality nothing, would be opposed on the same point of avoiding regulatory maneuvering? Despite the claim otherwise, the proposal that I have submitted would not establish a network of legal chains, but rather promote a more appropriate growth in British industry, even if it is at a temporary cost to those certain nationalized industries that this Government has done such a great deal to protect, even at cost to the British electorate.

Talfryn Ryley,
MP for Monmouth

Mr Speaker,

This Government understands the need for clean water and the protection of our water bodies, but the solution is not the creation of a body which will only report to the Government what should have been done. No, this Government proposes the creation of the Water Boards, which truly have an ability, duty and right to act compared to the ineffective and solely bureaucratic system proposed by the Honourable Member for Monmouth on the problems currently facing our water supply et c.. Indeed, the Honourable Member's act is nothing more than a punishment for water pollution - which, had he offered an actual solution, would be commendable - but the Honourable Member has not put forward a credible and workable solution for the problems, for his solution would be a bureaucratic agency which neither has free reign in concept or reality.

Lastly, Mr. Speaker, I wish to note the Honourable Member's ignoration that all industries to a certain extent pollute our air and water bodies and his lack of clearity on the matter what appropriate growth in British Industries is and how the Honourable Member would protect both the British public health without sacrificing the British livelyhoods.

The Prime Minister

Mr Speaker,

Is this truly all that the Opposition has left to offer the House: pale imitations of Government policy, and public-school jibes?

I do not know why the Hon Member for Monmouth is so intent on waging war on British industry. That he appears fixated on "nationalised" industries suggests to me that he is less animated by any concern for our natural environment than by a desire to attack and subvert the economic assets that have been taken into common ownership. If this is the case, then I advise the Gentleman not to conceal his motives, but to affirm them openly.

I believe that the Water Boards, as local and bilateral bodies, shall be more effective as a mechanism of consultation and enforcement on the issue of aquatic pollution than the prescription in the alternative bill. It is important to safeguard our water supply for future generations - and I am gladdened to hear that the Conservative Party has accepted that there are certain properties that belong collectively to the people - but not in a vindictive manner which would jeopardise the livelihoods of millions in this country. The balance between our personal health and national prosperity is not only achievable, but desirable.

Rt. Hon Sylvia Leighton PC MP
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs
Member for Sutton and Cheam

Reactions:
The Local Authority Reform (In England) Act 1961
- Conservative: No (One-Line)
- Labour: Yes (One-Line)
The Local Authority Reform (In Wales) Act 1961
The Local Authority Reform (In Scotland) Act 1961
Consumer Protection Agency Act ((I might do IG effects for this act.))
- Conservative: No (Two-Line)
- Labour: Yes (Two-Line)
Social Services Funding Act
Capital Gains Tax Act ((will have IG effect on taxes, tax efficiency, and RGO.))
- Conservative: No (Three-Line)
- Labour: Yes (Three-Line)
National Service Act
Charter of the Commonwealth of Nations
- Conservative: Yes (Free Vote)
Cyprus Autonomy Act
- Conservative: Yes (Free Vote)
- Labour: Yes (Free Vote)
Federation (Palestine) Act
- Conservative: No (Free Vote)
Dominion (Botswana) Act
- Conservative: No (Free Vote)
Clean Water Act (Gov motion)
House of Lords Election Act
Industrial Code of Conduct Act ((I'm going to consider this an IG Social Reform))
Rivers Lakes and Estuaries Act
- Conservative: Free Vote
- Labour: No (One-Line)
Renaming of the House of Lords Act
- Conservative: Free Vote
- Labour: No (Three-Line)
The 1962 Budget

If enough environmental bills pass, a further IG reform will be implemented.
--
I'm obviously very pleased by the sheer number of bills. Keep it up! Voting closes Friday at 7 PM EST.

Last edited:
The Local Authority Reform (In England) Act 1961: Yes
The Local Authority Reform (In Wales) Act 1961: Yes
The Local Authority Reform (In Scotland) Act 1961: Yes
Consumer Protection Agency Act: Yes
Social Services Funding Act: Yes
Capital Gains Tax Act: Yes
National Service Act: Yes
Charter of the Commonwealth of Nations: Yes
Cyprus Autonomy Act: Yes
Federation (Palestine) Act: Yes
Dominion (Botswana) Act: Yes
Clean Water Act: Yes
House of Lords Election Act: Yes
Industrial Code of Conduct Act: Yes
Rivers Lakes and Estuaries Act: No
Renaming of the House of Lords Act: No
The 1962 Budget: Yes

[Politician]
[Prime Minister + 4 PP]
[Social Warrior + 1 PP]

Last edited:
((Fixed. Apologies, lots of bills and lots of whips.))

Clean Water Act (Opposition Motion): Yes
Clean Water Act (Gov motion) : Yes
Rivers Lakes and Estuaries Act: Yes 'Whiel tha PaM mite rejact thas, I do applaude tha legaslation fur eits willangnass tae protact tha natural anviromant af thas coontry. I dow hop th'at we see mere af eits leik in tha futer.'

[Politician]
[Highland Liberal +1PP]

The Local Authority Reform (In England) Act 1961: Aye
The Local Authority Reform (In Wales) Act 1961: Aye
The Local Authority Reform (In Scotland) Act 1961: Aye
Consumer Protection Agency Act: Aye
Social Services Funding Act: Aye
Capital Gains Tax Act: Aye
National Service Act: Aye
Charter of the Commonwealth of Nations: Aye
Cyprus Autonomy Act: Aye
Federation (Palestine) Act: Aye
Dominion (Botswana) Act: Aye
Clean Water Act: Aye
House of Lords Election Act: Aye
Industrial Code of Conduct Act: Aye
Rivers Lakes and Estuaries Act: Nay
Renaming of the House of Lords Act: Nay - Leighton scrawls "childish rubbish" on her Order Paper
The 1962 Budget: Aye

[Politician]
[Cabinet Minister +2 PP.

Eloquent Rhetorician +1 PP]

[Politician]
[Government Minister + 2 PP]

[Politician]

The Local Authority Reform (In England) Act 1961: No
Consumer Protection Agency Act: No
Social Services Funding Act: No
Capital Gains Tax Act: No
National Service Act: No
Cyprus Autonomy Act: No
Federation (Palestine) Act: No
House of Lords Election Act: No
Industrial Code of Conduct Act: No
Rivers, Lakes and Estuaries Act: Yes
The 1962 Budget: No

[Politician]

George Whiterose
trade unionist
+1 PP

Mr Speaker,

I come before the House today to outline the foreign policy programme of the Government for the remainder of this session. In suitable reflection of the many issues that confront this country on the international stage, this agenda is extensive and wide-ranging, taking us from Western Europe to Southern Africa and all the way back to the Middle-East. I shall proceed to outline our policy.

First, the issue of Spain. The Government remains committed to the resolution of the House to apply economic pressure to the Spanish regime until it shall accept the restoration of democracy, and the holding of free and fair elections under the supervision of the United Nations. It is regretful that, when attempting to affect regime change, we must impose upon the whole of the Spanish people. But I can assure the House that any hardship occasioned by the embargo is paltry compared to the lifetime of penury and despoliation that awaits Spain, if we do not succeed in delivering it from the vice-like grip of Stalinism.

Nonetheless, we must do our part to alleviate the suffering of the Spanish people, who have been held ransom by their own monstrous regime. At any time, Madrid could consent to the holding of free and fair elections, at which point the sanctions against it would be immediately rescinded. Yet it does not. I find this a rather telling indication: that the regime, the so-called people's democracy, would sooner squeeze the people than face them at the ballot-box. Abandoned by their own government, the Spanish people look to the international community for their salvation.

Second, the issue of Cyprus. Now, this territory has been deeply disturbed for a considerable length of time, after Mr Eden's administration shamefully neglected- [Members interject] the intensification of the insurgency, which was given ample time to organise and arm itself prior to full insurrection. Moreover, since the Government of the day made no declaration regarding the future status of Cyprus, it implied to several States that the British presence in Cyprus was transient, and that the territory was essentially theirs for the taking. As such, it is the intention of this Government to not only grant autonomy to Cyprus in line with the overarching policy of progressive decolonisation, but also to ensure the continued independence of Cyprus and the safeguarding of such independence by British forces.

Therefore, I beg to introduce the Cyprus Autonomy Act:

Cyprus Autonomy Act
1. The State of Cyprus shall be a Federal Republic with a presidential regime.

2. The official languages of the Federal Republic of Cyprus shall be Greek and Turkish. Legislative and administrative instruments and documents shall be drawn up and promulgated in the two official languages.

3. The Federal Republic of Cyprus shall have its own flag of neutral design and colour, chosen jointly by the President and the Vice-President of the Republic.

4. The President and the Vice-President shall be directly elected by universal suffrage:
(a) In the election, candidates for the President shall be drawn from the Hellenic Cypriot community, and candidates for the Vice-President shall be drawn from the Turkish Cypriot community;
(b) The incumbent President and Vice-President shall rotate their offices between them every six months;
(c) The President and Vice-President shall serve for a single period of eight years and shall not be eligible for re-election;
(d) In the event of absence, impediment or vacancy of their posts, the office of President and the Vice-President shall be occupied by the Chair and Deputy Chair of the Chamber of Deputies respectively, and elections to replace the President and/or the Vice-President shall occur within forty-five (45) days;
(e) The President and the Vice-President shall be invested by the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate, before which they shall take an oath of loyalty and respect for the Constitution. For this purpose, the Chamber and the Senate shall convene within twenty-four (24) hours of the conclusion of the election.

5. Executive authority shall be vested in the President and the Vice-President:
(a) They shall appoint the Council of Ministers, which shall be composed of seven Ministers from the Hellenic Cypriot community and three Ministers from the Turkish Cypriot community:
(i) Appointments to the Council of Ministers shall be by joint decision of the President and Vice-President, certified by an instrument signed by them both;
(ii) Appointments shall be approved by the Chamber of Deputies by an absolute majority.
(b) Decisions of the Council of Ministers shall be taken by an absolute majority, and thereafter promulgated immediately by the President and the Vice-President by publication in the official gazette:
(i) However, the President and the Vice-President shall separately and conjointly have the right of final veto and may override any decision of the Council of Ministers.

6. Legislative authority shall be vested in the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate:
(a) The Chamber of Deputies shall be elected for a period of five years by universal suffrage of each community separately;
(i) Seventy (70) per cent of the Chamber shall be allocated to representatives of the Hellenic Cypriot community, and thirty (30) per cent shall be allocated to representatives of the Turkish Cypriot community;
(ii) The number of deputies shall be established at eighty (80).
(b) The Senate shall be elected for a period of five years by universal suffrage of each community separately:
(i) Fifty (50) per cent of the Senate shall be apportioned to the Hellenic Cypriot community, and thirty (30) per cent shall be apportioned to the Turkish Cypriot community;
(ii) The number of senators shall be established at fifty (50).
(b) The federal legislative bodies shall exercise authority in all matters other than those expressly reserved to the Communal Councils;
(i) In the event of a conflict of competencies or authority, such dispute shall be resolved by the Supreme Constitutional Court.
(c) Laws and legislative decisions shall be adopted concurrently by the Chamber and the Senate by the vote of an absolute majority of the members present and promulgated within fifteen (15) days):
(i) Amendment of the Constitution shall be by a majority of two-thirds in both legislative bodies;
(ii) Amendment of the electoral law, or any law relating to the municipalities, duties and taxation, shall require an absolute majority of both bodies.
(d) The Chamber and the Senate shall approve or return the budget proposed by the Council of Ministers:
(i) The President and the Vice-President shall separately and conjointly have the right of final veto over the budget, in which case the Chamber and the Senate shall separately and conjointly have the right of appeal to the Supreme Constitutional Court, which shall affirm or overturn the veto.
(e) The President and the Vice-President shall separately and conjointly have the right of final veto over legislation, which may only be overturned by a majority of two-thirds of both legislative bodies:
(i) If the President and the Vice-President separately or conjointly determine any law, legislative decision or initiative to be discriminatory against either the Hellenic or Turkish Cypriot communities, then it shall be referred to the Supreme Constitutional Court, which may uphold or annul the law, decision or initiative in question;
(ii) The President and the Vice-President shall separately and conjointly have the right of final veto on any law or decision concerning foreign affairs, except the existing international treaties to which the Federal Republic of Cyprus is irrevocably bound.

7. Each community shall have its Communal Council:
(a) The Councils shall regulate their rules of procedure and membership;
(b) The Councils shall have the right to impose taxes and levies on members of their community to provide for their needs and for the needs of bodies and institutions under their supervision;
(c) The Councils shall exercise authority in the following matters:
(i) Religious, educational, cultural and teaching questions and questions of personal status;
(ii) Communal interests and institutions, such as sporting and charitable foundations, bodies and associations, communal co-operatives and credit establishments, and all such institutions established for the promotion of communal welfare.
(d) The Councils shall also exercise authority in matters initiated by municipalities which are composed of one community only:
(i) These municipalities, to which the laws of the Federal Republic shall apply, shall be supervised in their functions by the Councils.
(e) Where the central administration is obliged to assume the supervision of the institutions, establishments, or municipalities mentioned in this section by virtue of legislation in force, this supervision shall be exercised by officials belonging to the same community as the institution, establishment or municipality in question.

8. The Supreme Constitutional Court shall be established to uphold the Constitution:
(a) The Court shall be composed of a panel of judges:
(i) Two (2) shall be nominated from the Hellenic Cypriot community and appointed jointly by the President and the Vice-President;
(ii) Two (2) shall be nominated from the Turkish Cypriot community and appointed jointly by the President and the Vice-President;
(iii) One (1) shall be appointed by the Secretariat of the Commonwealth of Nations and shall serve as the President of the Court.
(b) The Court shall enjoy exclusive jurisdiction to examine and decide in any dispute that arises under the Constitution, between the Federal Republic and the communities, or between the federal legislative and executive bodies and the Communal Councils;
(c) Executive orders or legal decisions shall be referred to the Court by the President and the Vice-President, the Chairs and Deputy Chairs of the Chamber and the Senate or the Communal Councils, to ensure their conformity with the Constitution, under the aegis of which the Court shall uphold or annul them;
(d) The decisions of the Court are final and binding;
(e) The Court shall hold jurisdiction over all inferior courts, tribunals and legal bodies, and shall have final say in the interpretation of national and customary law.

9. The High Court of Justice shall be established as the highest organ of the judicature:
(a) The Court shall be composed of a panel of judges:
(i) Two (2) shall be nominated from the Hellenic Cypriot community and appointed jointly by the President and the Vice-President;
(ii) Two (2) shall be nominated from the Turkish Cypriot community and appointed jointly by the President and the Vice-President;
(iii) One (1) shall be appointed by the Secretariat of the Commonwealth of Nations and shall serve as the President of the Court.
(b) Civil disputes, where the plaintiff and the defendant belong to the same community, shall be tried by a tribunal composed of judges belonging to that community:
(i) If the plaintiff and defendant belong to different communities, the composition of the tribunal shall be mixed and shall be determined by the High Court of Justice.
(c) Tribunals dealing with civil disputes relating to questions of personal status and to religious matters which are reserved to the competence of the Communal Councils shall be composed solely of judges belonging to the community concerned;
(i) The composition and status of these tribunals shall be determined according to the law established by the Council and they shall apply the law established by the aforesaid Council.
(d) In criminal cases, the tribunal shall consist of judges belonging to the same community as the accused;
(i) If the injured party belongs to another community, the composition of the tribunal shall be mixed and shall be determined by the High Court of Justice.
(e) The President and the Vice-President of the Federal Republic shall each have the right to exercise the prerogative of mercy to persons from their respective communities who are condemned to death:
(i) In cases where the plaintiffs and the convicted persons are members of different communities the prerogative of mercy shall be exercised by agreement between the President and the Vice-President;
(ii) In the event of disagreement, the vote for clemency shall prevail;
(iii) The successful application for clemency shall result in the commutation of the death penalty to life imprisonment.
(e) Expropriations by the Federal Republic, the communities or the Municipalities shall only be carried out on payment of a just and equitable indemnity fixed, in disputed cases, by the tribunals;
(i) Expropriated property shall only be used for the purpose for which the expropriation was made;
(ii) Otherwise, the expropriation is annulled and the property restored to its original owners.
(f) An appeal to the tribunals shall have the effect of suspending action.

10. The Civil Service and public administration shall be held proportionately by the Cypriot communities:
(a) As far as possible across all grades of the Civil Service, the proportion of public servants shall be seventy (70) per cent Hellenic Cypriot, and thirty (30) per cent Turkish Cypriot;
(b) The deputies of the chiefs of the Armed Forces, the Gendarmerie, the Police, the Attorney-General of the Federal Republic, the Inspector-General, the Treasurer and the Governor of the Issuing Bank shall not belong to the same community as their principals;
(i) In explanation, if the principal office holder is from the Hellenic Cypriot community, the deputy office holder must be from the Turkish Cypriot community, and vice-versa;
(ii) Appointments to these offices shall be made by the President and the Vice-President of the Federal Republic acting in agreement.

11. The military and policing functions of the Federal Republic shall be as follows:
(a) The Federal Republic shall have an army of two-thousand (2,000) men;
(i) In the division of non-commissioned personnel, sixty (60) per cent shall be from the Hellenic Cypriot community and forty (40) per cent shall be from the Turkish Cypriot community;
(ii) In the division of commissioned personnel and officers, fifty (50) per cent shall be from the Hellenic Cypriot community and forty (40) per cent shall be from the Turkish Cypriot community.
(b) Compulsory military service shall only be instituted with the concurrent agreement of the President and the Vice-President;
(c) The security forces of the gendarmerie and police shall be established at two-thousand (2,000) men, which may be increased or reduced by the concurrent agreement of the President and the Vice-President:
(i) In the division of the security forces, sixty (60) per cent shall be from the Hellenic Cypriot community and forty (4) per cent shall be from the Turkish Cypriot community.
(d) Military or security forces stationed within the territory of the Federal Republic shall be commanded by the same community which demographically predominates the locality in which they are stationed.

12. Separate municipalities shall be established in the five largest settlements of Cyprus by the Turkish Cypriot inhabitants thereof:
(a) In each of the settlements, a co-ordinating body shall be established to supervise work which needs to be carried out jointly and to organise matters which require a degree of co-operation;
(i) These bodies shall each be composed of two members chosen by the Hellenic Cypriot municipalities, two members chosen by the Turkish Cypriot municipalities and a chair chosen by agreement between the two municipalities.
(b) The President and the Vice-President shall examine within four years the question whether or not this separation of municipalities in the five largest towns shall continue;
(c) With regard to other localities, special arrangements shall be made for the constitution of municipal bodies, following, as far as possible, the rule of proportional representation for the two communities.

13. A treaty guaranteeing the independence, territorial integrity and constitution of the Federal Republic of Cyprus shall be concluded between the Federal Republic of Cyprus and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland:
(a) A treaty of military alliance shall also be concluded between the Federal Republic of Cyprus and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland;
(b) Any political, constitutional or economic union of the Federal Republic of Cyprus with any other State, in whole or in part, shall be in violation of the Constitution;
(c) Any separatist action intended to partition, demarcate or disfigure the Federal Republic of Cyprus and its present borders shall be in violation of the Constitution;
(d) This section shall be embedded in the Constitution of Cyprus in perpetuity, without reservation and with no possibility of amendment, repeal or removal.

14. The Federal Republic of Cyprus and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland shall continue to co-operate for their common defence and on matters of international security:
(a) The United Kingdom shall undertake to resist any attack or aggression, direct or indirect, against the independence and territorial integrity of the Federal Republic of Cyprus;
(b) A bipartite Headquarters shall be established on the territory of the Federal Republic of Cyprus;
(i) The United Kingdom shall commit a contingent of 950 officers, non-commissioned officers and soldiers in order to train the Armed Forces and security forces of the Federal Republic of Cyprus;
(ii) Command of the bipartite Headquarters shall be assumed in rotation and for a period of one year each by a Hellenic Cypriot, Turkish Cypriot and British General Officer, who shall be nominated by the Governments of Cyprus and the United Kingdom and by the President and the Vice-President of the Republic of Cyprus.

15. The military bases established by the United Kingdom in Cyprus shall be retained and exempted from the sovereignty and territory of the Federal Republic of Cyprus:
(a) Namely, the following areas shall remain under British sovereignty, jurisdiction and administration:
(i) Akrotiri-Episkopi-Parmali;
(ii) Dhekelia-Pergamos-Ayios Nikolaos-Xylophagou.
(b) In order to ensure the continued effective use of the aforesaid military bases, the following rights shall be granted to the Government of the United Kingdom:
(i) to continue to use, without restriction or interference, the existing small sites containing military and other installations and to exercise complete control within these sites, including the right to guard and defend them and to exclude from them all persons not authorised by the Government of the United Kingdom;
(ii) to use roads, ports and other facilities freely for the movement of personnel and stores of all kinds to and from and between the abovementioned areas and sites
(iii) to continue to have the use of specified port facilities at Famagusta;
(iv) to use public services (such as water, telephone, telegraph, electric power, etc.);
(v) to use from time to time certain localities, which would be specified, for troop training;
(vi) to use the airfield at Nicosia, together with any necessary buildings and facilities on or connected with the airfield to whatever extent is considered necessary by the British authorities for the operation of British military aircraft in peace and war, including the exercise of any necessary operational control of air traffic;
(vii) to overfly the territory of the Federal Republic of Cyprus without restriction;
(viii) to exercise jurisdiction over British forces to an extent comparable with that provided in Article VII of the Agreement regarding the Status of Forces of Parties to the North Atlantic Treaty, in respect of certain offenses committed within the territory of the Federal Republic of Cyprus:
(ix) to employ freely in the areas and sites labour from other parts of Cyprus;
(x) to obtain, after consultation with the Government of the Federal Republic of Cyprus, the use of such additional small sites and such additional rights as the United Kingdom may, from time to time, consider technically necessary for the efficient use of its base areas and installations in Cyprus.

16. The United Kingdom shall undertake to guarantee the following:
(i) The protection of the fundamental human rights of the various communities in Cyprus;
(ii) The protection of the interests of the members of the public services in Cyprus;
(iii) The determination of the nationality of persons affected by the settlement;
(iv) The assumption by the Federal Republic of Cyprus of the appropriate obligations of the present Government of Cyprus, including the settlement of claims.

17. The entirety of the Act shall constitute the basis and text of the Constitutional Law of Cyprus, and shall be embedded within the Constitution in its present condition without alteration or reservation.

18. The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Cyprus shall come into force and the formal signature of the necessary instruments by the parties concerned shall take place at the earliest practicable date, and on that date sovereignty will be transferred to the Federal Republic of Cyprus.

In addition, the Government intends to undertake a treaty with its Cypriot, Hellenic and Turkish counterparts, in order to jointly guarantee the independence and territorial integrity of the new State. I shall now read the draft text of said treaty:

Treaty of Guarantee

The Governments of the Federal Republic of Cyprus, the Kingdom of Greece, the Republic of Turkey and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland;
Acknowledging the independence, territorial integrity and security of the Federal Republic of Cyprus, as established and regulated by the basic articles of its Constitution, as being in their common interest,
Desiring to co-operate to ensure that the provisions of the aforesaid Constitution shall be respected,

Have agreed as follows:

Article 1
The Federal Republic of Cyprus undertakes to ensure the maintenance of its independence, territorial integrity and security, as well as respect for its Constitution. It undertakes not to participate, in whole or in part, in any political or economic union with any State whatsoever. With this intent it prohibits all activity tending to promote directly or indirectly either union or partition of the Island.

Article 2
The Kingdom of Greece, the Republic of Turkey and the United Kingdom, taking note of the undertakings by the Federal Republic of Cyprus embodied in Article 1, recognise and guarantee the independence, territorial integrity and security of the Federal Republic of Cyprus, and also the provisions of the basic articles of its Constitution. They likewise undertake to prohibit, as far as lies within their power, all activity having the object of promoting directly or indirectly either the union of the Federal Republic of Cyprus with any other State, or the partition of the Island.

Article 3
In the event of any breach of the provisions of the present Treaty, the Kingdom of Greece, the Republic of Turkey and the United Kingdom undertake to consult together, with a view to making representations, or taking the necessary steps to ensure observance of those provisions. The Parties will co-operate in the common defence of the Federal Republic of Cyprus.

Article 4
The Federal Republic of Cyprus, the Kingdom of Greece and the Republic of Turkey undertake to respect the integrity of the areas to be retained under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom upon the establishment of the Federal Republic of Cyprus, and guarantee the use and enjoyment by the United Kingdom of the rights to be secured to the United Kingdom by the Federal Republic of Cyprus in accordance with the Constitution.

Article 5
The present Treaty shall enter into force on signature. The High Contracting Parties undertake to register the present Treaty at the earliest possible date with the Secretariat of the United Nations, in accordance with the provisions of Article 102 of the Charter of the United Nations.

Thank you.

Rt. Hon. Sylvia Leighton PC MP

Mr. Speaker,

I have read the pieces of legislation that the Foreign Minister has presented before the House. Just like most others in the House I saw the immensity of these documents in comparison to the brevity of the Prime Minister's legislation. I am well aware that many members of this House have probably not bothered to read and understand the minutia of all of these documents, and I do not blame them. The Government wishes to drown the people in legislation it seems. And do not laugh, because you know it to be true. No person will be able to sit down and read this legislation at the dinner table. No, no. These are practically novels in comparison to the Prime Minister's works. They are filled to the brim with tiny details that many ordinary folk sometimes scratch their head over it, and I understand fully. I have taken it upon myself to argue against this leviathan, for it seems that no one else will.

I shall begin with the Cyprus Autonomy Act and finish with the Treaty of Guarantee which concerns Cyprus. And I must say, that the government will be established as a result of this act is a monstrosity of meaningless quotas and is an affront to self-determination. It is hilarious that the Labour Party prides itself on being the party of independence for the colonies when we see that they are completely denying many rights to the Cypriot people. The most fundamental of these rights is the right to self-determination. One of the most important parts of self-determination is the ability for a nation of people to choose their own political status without the interference of foreign powers. Now, Mr. Speaker, if the Foreign Minister believes that the Cypriot people are ready for independence then why does she not think them ready for full self-determination?

For those who are wondering where this Act violates self-determination, I will point it out to you. Enosis, the Greek word for "union," is a very popular movement in Cyprus. The movement, specifically the movement in Cyprus, wishes for Cyprus to achieve a political union with Greece. A union which they think to be truly representative of their Greek culture. The Treaty of Guarantee and the Cyprus Autonomy Act make it explicitly clear that Enosis shall not be an option, thereby restricting the Cypriot right to self-determination. This is only one of the many flaws with these documents. I shall go through the entirety of the Cyprus Autonomy Act and the Treaty of Guarantee.

Let us start with Article 4. Section a of Article 4 establishes that the Presidential candidates shall be from the "Hellenic Cypriot community" and the Vice-Presidential candidates shall be from the "Turkish Cypriot community." This is the first instance of this weird, unjustified, and nonsensical quotas and pseudo-segregation. It establishes immediately that the political and economic interests of the Greek and Turkish Cypriots are inherently different. It also makes it quite clear that the Turkish are junior partners in this ethnic coalition. Instead of being called a Co-President the Turkish executive is the Vice-President. Why should the Cypriot not be allowed to vote for whomever they want? What if a Turkish Cypriot would make a better President than the Greek candidates would? What if people want both the President and Vice-President to be two brilliant politicians who happen to both be Greek? They can't. What makes this situation even more of an affront to democracy is section b of Article 4 which states that "the incumbent President and Vice-President shall rotate their offices between them every six months." This means that whoever was elected Vice-President is essentially going to be President for four of the eight years in which they are in office. A term of eight years is, by the way, rather absurd. I see that the idea is the President and Vice-President's rotation throughout these eight years will each give them four years as President, but I do not see why the people should have such a large amount of time between elections/ What if, after four years, the people think either or both the President and Vice-President to be highly incompetent and unfit for office? They will have to wait another four years before being able to make a new decision. People change a lot in 8 years. In eight years, one can go from learning how to multiply numbers to studying calculus at Oxford. Why, then, should we not afford the people with these same rights? Elections ought to be held four years, and the best candidate no matter their ethnicity shall be elected by the people. Article 4 has seldom ever been used in practice, and little to no countries practice it. The United States does not force the people to elect a Protestant President and a Catholic Vice-President, for that would be silly.

Let us move onto Article 5 which establishes the Council of Ministers, a useless government organ that appears to be there solely to satisfy quotas. The President and Vice-President "shall appoint the Council of Minister, which shall be composed of seven Minister from the Hellenic Cypriot community and three Ministers from the Turkish Cypriot community." These appointments are "approved by the Chamber of Deputies by an absolute majority." What shall be the purpose of the Council of Ministers? The Cyprus Autonomy is vague and ambigous about this, actually, vague and ambigous is too kind. The Act offers no idea as to what this Council does. It simply makes "decisions" by an "absolute majority" and these decisions shall be "promulgated immediatley by the President and Vice-President by publication in the official gazette." With the amount of vagueness one would think that Council is very powerful, but it is not. For the President and Vice-President shall "seperately and conjointly have the right of final veto and may override any decision of the Council of Ministers." What? The decisions of the Council are subject to vetoes by either the President or Vice-President. Meaning the even if all 10 members of the Council agree on the decision and so does the President. The Vice-President can veto it and there is no way for this veto to be overriden. This is quite ridiculous. There is no purpose in having this Council of Ministers as it seems to merely be a Cabinet with less power and more quotas.

Now, onto Article 6 concerning the Legislative authority. Subsection i of section a once again produces another obstructive quota, this time limiting the amount of Turkish Cypriots in the House to 30 percent of its capacity. This means, that no matter if we have to fill that 30 percent with incompetent Turks or we have to prevent competent Turkish candidates from serving. It once again says that the Turkish and the Greek Cypriots inherently have opposing interests. Next, the Act goes onto says that the Senate shall have 50 per cent allocated to the Hellenic Cypriot community and 30% to the Turkish Cypriot community. This seems horribly arbitrary. Why does the Senate have an even lower quota for Greek Cypriots? We don't seem to know why.

However, this is not the worst part of Article 6. Not by a long shot. The Chamber and Senate shall approve or return the budget proposed by the Council of Ministers (keeping in mind that the President and Vice-President separately hold the right to veto this budget immediately). In an example, the Chamber and the Senate both approve of the budget. The President and Vice-President may then veto the budget, and remember that the both hold this right of veto separately and conjointly which seems to mean that the Vice-President can veto this budget even if The Council of Ministers, the Chamber, the Senate, AND the President supports this. Now here's the kicker. If say, the President and the Vice-President conjointly exercise their veto power on a budget approved by the Chamber and the Senate which had previously been created by the Council of Ministers and approved by both the President and Vice-President. Then the Chamber and the Senate have the right of appeal "separately and conjointly" to the "Supreme Constitutional Court, which may uphold or annul the law, decision, or initiative in question." The implication that an unelected body has the ability to simply overturn a veto is not only out of place because the Supreme Constitutional Court does not hold the right to overturn the veto on legislation by solely the budget, and it's simply nonsensical. On what grounds would the Court overturn this veto of the budget? It seems that it only depends if the Court likes the budget. I struggle to think of any modern nation which employs such a silly system.

Moving onto Article 7. Article 7 establishes that each Community shall have its "Communal Council." It's not really defined what a community is exactly. One can assume it to be talking about the "Hellenic community" and the "Turkish community" which the Act so often references, but there is no definition for what a community is. How many communities are there? What are the communities? We do not know, and I doubt that the Foreign Minister has an answer for us on this. But, I must take issue with section c, subsection i. Which states that the Councils shall exercise authority in the following matters "Religious, educational, cultural and teaching questions and questions of personal status." Now, assuming that when the Act talks about Communal Councils it is referring to the Turkish and Greek Cypriot Communities, then this is going to breed ethnic conflict. The Greeks shall teach their children their side of the story, and the Turks shall teach their children their side of the story. Now you have two seperate historical narratives which these children shall grow up with. These children will see the other community as the enemy, and war will be inevitable.

Onto Article 8, where we are finally informed about the Supreme Constitutional Court which "shall be established to uphold the Constitution." The Court itself is composed of a panel of five judges. Two of which are nominated "from the Hellenic Cypriot Community" and two of which shall be appointed "from the Turkish Cypriot community" and these Judges shall be appointed "jointly by the President and the Vice-President." The fifth judge, and the "President of the Court" is "appointed by the Secretariat of the Commonwealth of Nations." This is a complete insult to the sovereignty of the Cypriot nation. Their laws are interpreted by the rest of the world, by an intergovernmental organization. This is saying to the Cypriot people that they cannot settle their own disputes and that they require a third party to step in and ensure fairness. It breeds division, and when the President of the Court makes a ruling unfavorable to one community then some in that community might shout cries of favoritism and even 'imperialism.' It will give justification to the Cypriot to rebel and it will justification to the communities to eradicate the other.

Mr. Speaker, I must yield for now. All this speaking has gotten me quite tired and I think it better to break up my criticisms into two parts.

- Alexander Cochrane, Independent MP for Isle of Thanet

The Dungarees advances to cast his parliamentary votes.

The Local Authority Reform (In England) Act 1961: No
The Local Authority Reform (In Wales) Act 1961: No
The Local Authority Reform (In Scotland) Act 1961: No

Consumer Protection Agency Act: No
Social Services Funding Act: No
Capital Gains Tax Act: No

National Service Act: No

Cyprus Autonomy Act: No
Dominion (Botswana) Act: No

Clean Water Act: No

House of Lords Election Act: NAY, nay, nay!

Industrial Code of Conduct Act: No
Rivers, Lakes and Estuaries Act: Yes

The 1962 Budget: No
[Politician]

"For queen and country," he says wearily.
~The Dungarees

New Statesman

The Week-end Review
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

VOL. LXIII • No. 1557 — MONDAY • 9 JANUARY 1961 — NINEPENCE
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

EDITORIAL

The Politics of Reform
by Parris Marr

LAST Wednesday marked the first anniversary of the original publication of Manifesto For A Humane Society, this magazine's declaration of intent in campaigning for an end to the vestigial antiquated Britain that still envelops us halfway through the twentieth century. Last Wednesday also saw the publication of the Manifesto in a paperback edition by Penguin to coincide with the anniversary. Truthfully, I had hoped that a second edition would never have become necessary.

In June we mark the second year since the first re-election of a sitting Labour government in this country's long history. Dr. Bennett was already the longest-serving Labour prime minister before 1959. His majority, itself an unheralded and satisfying reminder of the lengths Britain has come since the end of the War, is as secure as his immediate political position.

The dichotomy between the perceived social progress we have made as a country and the progress in real terms is therefore stark. Economically, certainly, the average cross-section of British society is less rarefied now than a decade ago, yet our social attitudes are still waiting patiently to be jolted out of the torpor of post-War austerity and a pre-War sense of relict Britishness.

This catalysing aim was the grand goal of the Manifesto. A rallying cry, yes, but perhaps more importantly the Manifesto served to highlight the existence of issues that many still do not know exist. The appalling treatment of homosexual men and the illiberal and stifling system of censorship imposed upon literature, both embarrassing and antiquated barriers to our collective pretension of civility, are reasonably well-known, if truly little understood, problems faced by society. Injustice in (of all places) the judicial system and the unmeritocratic quiddities of government are perhaps less discussed, if equally as pressing and grotesque.

As a member of Parliament and then of Dr. Bennett's government it was always my prime concern that Labour's interests should remain primarily those of advancing meritocracy and modern humanity in all of its forms, not simply concerning itself with the old battles fought by the economists and the faith-blind dogmatists of the pre-Stalinist era. Those battles are no longer shocking. We may content ourselves with the fact that some sort of state based on the idea of welfare is an uncontroversial idea. Yet as this fact gives hope to veterans of the nineteen-thirties anxious that socialism in government would forever remain an elusive dream, it draws infinitely from the idea that Labour can be a radical party of change whilst resting on decades-old arguments of economic novelty. A party cannot be radical when its central tenets pass unspoken as political truths.

This is the inexorable evolution sparked by power. An empty truism it may be to state that accepted ideas are not radical, it is something against which any government – though primarily a reforming socialist government – must guard if it wishes to stay one step ahead of the wheezed sigh of complacency that forever breathes down its neck.

Today, where political and economic battles are fought on a ground that provides an inherent Labour advantage (i.e. the consensual post-War Britain of welfare immune to the energy of social democracy as a new idea) it is the Conservative Party who hold the advantage as far as radical thinking is concerned. The followers of Hayek, feted by some sections of the Conservative movement – if one can call so stagnant a body a movement – are as radical today as the followers of Keynes were before the War, although Labour may take some comfort from the fact that it is a default brand of radicalism that comes with being diametrically opposed to whatever is currently and widely accepted.

Socially and constitutionally, however, the momentum remains firmly with Labour. What disappoints is that as of yet it exists latent and unable to be expressed. The social left of the Labour Party, the new left of the Labour Party – libertarian socialists who see social equality and humanity as just as important an aim as economic equality and humanity – are today's radicals. They drive the winds of change so often observed in the world today.

Yet drive as they may, our new radicals remain frustrated by the politics of reform. This is a paradoxical phenomenon that appals in its flagrant unpalatabilty almost as much as the societal ills whose correction it prevents. Change has been taken hostage by political convenience; the prime minister eyes his majority like a miser whilst shuddering at the idea that drastic change might threaten his position of power. While the Labour command of the Commons grows no smaller, homosexual men continue to face unparalleled brutality from the state; young women continue to face the horrors and the dangers of aborting harmful and traumatic pregnancies thanks to the uncaring indifference of the law; men and women in prison continue to live under the barbaric stain upon our national liberty that is the death penalty.

These are not issues that will go away. Nor are they, for the many people they affect, issues that can wait for a more clement politics climate. If the prime minister and his government wish to save their legacy as incubators of a kinder age, they must act now to expurgate Britain of her backward and illiberal blight. If on the other hand the prime minister does not feel that he is a brave enough man to assume leadership of the drive for change, hard and politically inconvenient though it may be, he owes it to the millions he could not save to step aside and let a more willing figure take up the mantle he has as yet refused to wear.

Manifesto For A Humane Society, edited by Parris Marr and published by Penguin, is available now in an expanded and updated paperback edition from all good booksellers.

New Statesman

The McBee, MP, column

VOL. LXIII • No. 1557 — MONDAY • 9 JANUARY 1961 — NINEPENCE

Column

McBee, MP, and the First Day
by A. W. Burr-Hewitt

THE Honourable Farly Mcbee, MP, is the MP for Brighton North-by-Northwest, a newly created seat in the House of Commons. A naive and bespectacled young man (for he is indeed very young), he has no prior knowledge of how the House of Commons functions in action. Indeed, he is the everyman, the man that all can see through his eyes and all can walk in his shoes.

And his party? Oh that doesn't matter, it is whatever party you belong to.

Now, Farly Mcbee, MP, sat in his seat in the back. Very far in the back. So far that is his neighbour, smartly, brought about a pair of cricket binoculars in which to view the action in the front bench. Good thing for Farly Mcbee, MP, is that though he may be too far to see what is going on, he can more than hear it.

And hear it he did. For a drawn out droning went about, punctuated by equally long harping. It was as if an ungreased wheel was fighting a member of the House of Lords during his after-tea nap. Turning to his neighbour, Farly Mcbee, MP, asked a simple question.

"Um, sir, if I may ask, what is going on in the front?"

The neighbour, a portly man from Port Port, gave a jolly chuckle.

"Why boy, it is the Right Honourable Communist and the Right Honourable Har P. Evertalk."

Farly Mcbee, MP, nodded slowly, then asked a followup question.

"What are these members doing sir?"

The neighbour laughed again, his round tummy jumbling jollily.

"Why, the daily essay reading."

Farly Mcbee, MP, nodded again, more confused than before. Gaining confidence in asking his neighbour questions, he puffed out his chest and asked another.

"Why are they reading essays daily sir?"

The neighbour shrugged, his broad shoulders heaving like rocks in the spring.

"No one knows. For years now, these members have brought in fully written essays, with notations and quotations, in which to read to each other. Some speculate they are in a fight, some speculate that they are in love. However what is known that this has happened repeatedly for years.

It is quite amazing you know. Day after day, these essays are produced to the highest quality. Rumour has it that they both have full time editors."

Farly Mcbee, MP, raised an eyebrow. This was a brave move, but he thought it appropriate for the time.

"But sir, what is the point?"

The neighbour shrugged again, and gave a chuckle. This though was a sadder chuckle, like the reaction to a Liberal poster campaign.

"There is none. Many MPs use this as one of their naptimes. Others use this as an oppurtunity to brew tea. Some even play cards. It is quite a free time indeed."

Farly Mcbee, MP, looked to his left and right. As the essayist droned on, he saw MPs playing cribbage, drinking tea, and sleeping in their chairs.

The House of Commons, not quite what he thought, truly had a culture unto it's own. Taking to what is acceptable, he closed his eyes and drifted off to the sounds of the essayists droning off as they are apt to do.

Fin.

The first in an ambitious project by A.W. Burr-Hewitt.

Reactions:
Mr. Speaker,

I have read the pieces of legislation that the Foreign Minister has presented before the House. Just like most others in the House I saw the immensity of these documents in comparison to the brevity of the Prime Minister's legislation. I am well aware that many members of this House have probably not bothered to read and understand the minutia of all of these documents, and I do not blame them. The Government wishes to drown the people in legislation it seems. And do not laugh, because you know it to be true. No person will be able to sit down and read this legislation at the dinner table. No, no. These are practically novels in comparison to the Prime Minister's works. They are filled to the brim with tiny details that many ordinary folk sometimes scratch their head over it, and I understand fully. I have taken it upon myself to argue against this leviathan, for it seems that no one else will.

I shall begin with the Cyprus Autonomy Act and finish with the Treaty of Guarantee which concerns Cyprus. And I must say, that the government will be established as a result of this act is a monstrosity of meaningless quotas and is an affront to self-determination. It is hilarious that the Labour Party prides itself on being the party of independence for the colonies when we see that they are completely denying many rights to the Cypriot people. The most fundamental of these rights is the right to self-determination. One of the most important parts of self-determination is the ability for a nation of people to choose their own political status without the interference of foreign powers. Now, Mr. Speaker, if the Foreign Minister believes that the Cypriot people are ready for independence then why does she not think them ready for full self-determination?

For those who are wondering where this Act violates self-determination, I will point it out to you. Enosis, the Greek word for "union," is a very popular movement in Cyprus. The movement, specifically the movement in Cyprus, wishes for Cyprus to achieve a political union with Greece. A union which they think to be truly representative of their Greek culture. The Treaty of Guarantee and the Cyprus Autonomy Act make it explicitly clear that Enosis shall not be an option, thereby restricting the Cypriot right to self-determination. This is only one of the many flaws with these documents. I shall go through the entirety of the Cyprus Autonomy Act and the Treaty of Guarantee.

Let us start with Article 4. Section a of Article 4 establishes that the Presidential candidates shall be from the "Hellenic Cypriot community" and the Vice-Presidential candidates shall be from the "Turkish Cypriot community." This is the first instance of this weird, unjustified, and nonsensical quotas and pseudo-segregation. It establishes immediately that the political and economic interests of the Greek and Turkish Cypriots are inherently different. It also makes it quite clear that the Turkish are junior partners in this ethnic coalition. Instead of being called a Co-President the Turkish executive is the Vice-President. Why should the Cypriot not be allowed to vote for whomever they want? What if a Turkish Cypriot would make a better President than the Greek candidates would? What if people want both the President and Vice-President to be two brilliant politicians who happen to both be Greek? They can't. What makes this situation even more of an affront to democracy is section b of Article 4 which states that "the incumbent President and Vice-President shall rotate their offices between them every six months." This means that whoever was elected Vice-President is essentially going to be President for four of the eight years in which they are in office. A term of eight years is, by the way, rather absurd. I see that the idea is the President and Vice-President's rotation throughout these eight years will each give them four years as President, but I do not see why the people should have such a large amount of time between elections/ What if, after four years, the people think either or both the President and Vice-President to be highly incompetent and unfit for office? They will have to wait another four years before being able to make a new decision. People change a lot in 8 years. In eight years, one can go from learning how to multiply numbers to studying calculus at Oxford. Why, then, should we not afford the people with these same rights? Elections ought to be held four years, and the best candidate no matter their ethnicity shall be elected by the people. Article 4 has seldom ever been used in practice, and little to no countries practice it. The United States does not force the people to elect a Protestant President and a Catholic Vice-President, for that would be silly.

Let us move onto Article 5 which establishes the Council of Ministers, a useless government organ that appears to be there solely to satisfy quotas. The President and Vice-President "shall appoint the Council of Minister, which shall be composed of seven Minister from the Hellenic Cypriot community and three Ministers from the Turkish Cypriot community." These appointments are "approved by the Chamber of Deputies by an absolute majority." What shall be the purpose of the Council of Ministers? The Cyprus Autonomy is vague and ambigous about this, actually, vague and ambigous is too kind. The Act offers no idea as to what this Council does. It simply makes "decisions" by an "absolute majority" and these decisions shall be "promulgated immediatley by the President and Vice-President by publication in the official gazette." With the amount of vagueness one would think that Council is very powerful, but it is not. For the President and Vice-President shall "seperately and conjointly have the right of final veto and may override any decision of the Council of Ministers." What? The decisions of the Council are subject to vetoes by either the President or Vice-President. Meaning the even if all 10 members of the Council agree on the decision and so does the President. The Vice-President can veto it and there is no way for this veto to be overriden. This is quite ridiculous. There is no purpose in having this Council of Ministers as it seems to merely be a Cabinet with less power and more quotas.

Now, onto Article 6 concerning the Legislative authority. Subsection i of section a once again produces another obstructive quota, this time limiting the amount of Turkish Cypriots in the House to 30 percent of its capacity. This means, that no matter if we have to fill that 30 percent with incompetent Turks or we have to prevent competent Turkish candidates from serving. It once again says that the Turkish and the Greek Cypriots inherently have opposing interests. Next, the Act goes onto says that the Senate shall have 50 per cent allocated to the Hellenic Cypriot community and 30% to the Turkish Cypriot community. This seems horribly arbitrary. Why does the Senate have an even lower quota for Greek Cypriots? We don't seem to know why.

However, this is not the worst part of Article 6. Not by a long shot. The Chamber and Senate shall approve or return the budget proposed by the Council of Ministers (keeping in mind that the President and Vice-President separately hold the right to veto this budget immediately). In an example, the Chamber and the Senate both approve of the budget. The President and Vice-President may then veto the budget, and remember that the both hold this right of veto separately and conjointly which seems to mean that the Vice-President can veto this budget even if The Council of Ministers, the Chamber, the Senate, AND the President supports this. Now here's the kicker. If say, the President and the Vice-President conjointly exercise their veto power on a budget approved by the Chamber and the Senate which had previously been created by the Council of Ministers and approved by both the President and Vice-President. Then the Chamber and the Senate have the right of appeal "separately and conjointly" to the "Supreme Constitutional Court, which may uphold or annul the law, decision, or initiative in question." The implication that an unelected body has the ability to simply overturn a veto is not only out of place because the Supreme Constitutional Court does not hold the right to overturn the veto on legislation by solely the budget, and it's simply nonsensical. On what grounds would the Court overturn this veto of the budget? It seems that it only depends if the Court likes the budget. I struggle to think of any modern nation which employs such a silly system.

Moving onto Article 7. Article 7 establishes that each Community shall have its "Communal Council." It's not really defined what a community is exactly. One can assume it to be talking about the "Hellenic community" and the "Turkish community" which the Act so often references, but there is no definition for what a community is. How many communities are there? What are the communities? We do not know, and I doubt that the Foreign Minister has an answer for us on this. But, I must take issue with section c, subsection i. Which states that the Councils shall exercise authority in the following matters "Religious, educational, cultural and teaching questions and questions of personal status." Now, assuming that when the Act talks about Communal Councils it is referring to the Turkish and Greek Cypriot Communities, then this is going to breed ethnic conflict. The Greeks shall teach their children their side of the story, and the Turks shall teach their children their side of the story. Now you have two seperate historical narratives which these children shall grow up with. These children will see the other community as the enemy, and war will be inevitable.

Onto Article 8, where we are finally informed about the Supreme Constitutional Court which "shall be established to uphold the Constitution." The Court itself is composed of a panel of five judges. Two of which are nominated "from the Hellenic Cypriot Community" and two of which shall be appointed "from the Turkish Cypriot community" and these Judges shall be appointed "jointly by the President and the Vice-President." The fifth judge, and the "President of the Court" is "appointed by the Secretariat of the Commonwealth of Nations." This is a complete insult to the sovereignty of the Cypriot nation. Their laws are interpreted by the rest of the world, by an intergovernmental organization. This is saying to the Cypriot people that they cannot settle their own disputes and that they require a third party to step in and ensure fairness. It breeds division, and when the President of the Court makes a ruling unfavorable to one community then some in that community might shout cries of favoritism and even 'imperialism.' It will give justification to the Cypriot to rebel and it will justification to the communities to eradicate the other.

Mr. Speaker, I must yield for now. All this speaking has gotten me quite tired and I think it better to break up my criticisms into two parts.

Mr. Speaker,

If there is a second part to this, um, speech, I ask if I could bring my secretary fill in for me while I take my afternoon nap.

(Labour MPs Jeer)

I must say, I am surprised that The Right Honorable MP for Thanet has decided to embrace the idea of self-determination. I distinctly remember him opposing it in the past. Regardless, considering his recent acceptance of this idea that has long been obvious, I guess we can forgive him lacking knowledge of some parallel facts. One of these is the need to prevent the "tyranny of the majority". The idea for these "Quotas" is to make sure neither the Greek or Turkish peoples on Cyprus can use the power of the State to crush the other. Need I remind the Right Honorable Gentleman that British forces were first deployed to prevent a mass slaughter? Democracy is the right of the majority to assert their authority, Liberty is the right of the minority to be protected. Hopefully The Right Honorable Gentleman will come to learn this. I look forward to the second part of this "speech".

-Roland Carpenter, Minister of State for Colonial and Commonwealth Affairs

Mr. Speaker,

As the gentleman yielded, Sylvia Leighton rose to respond for the Government...

Mr Speaker,

I can assure the Hon Member for the Isle of Thanet that the length of the documents presented to the House is not, as he appears to imply, some manner of conspiracy to 'drown' the membership. Rather, these documents are addressing complex international questions which have been centuries in the making. They deserved a comprehensive response. I apologise if the Gentleman regarded the reading of the legislation as a Herculean effort, but then that is what the people of Thanet have elected him to do.

I shall now respond to the Hon Member's queries regarding the legislation in full. I apologise if I appear to be harping on, but I believe it is necessary to address every area of concern for clarity and reassurance.

The Government supports the principle of self-determination. But there is also the personal right to life, liberty and security, and the protection of such rights regardless of race, sex or creed. These rights are so essential and inalienable that they are enshrined in the Universal Declaration - which, notably, does not incorporate any right to self-determination. This country has signed the Declaration; we have bound ourselves to the cause of upholding human rights.

There is indeed a current of opinion in the Hellenic community of Cyprus that favours the annexation of that territory to the Kingdom of Greece. But there is a countervailing opinion expressed near-unanimously by the Turkish community against such annexation, as it would jeopardise their position. They have good reason to be concerned. When previously the territory of Crete was annexed by Greece, the ultimate outcome was that their co-religionists there were uprooted and dispersed. Even in the best case scenario, the Cypriot Turks would be a numerical minority, entirely at the mercy of the Hellenic majority, which might easily traduce their religious independence, appropriate their land or even expel them. Self-determination for one national community should not come at the expense of another. We have witnessed in the horrors of the Second World War what occurs when a minority is deprived of its rights and liberties, and even their lives.

That is why the constitutional framework for Cyprus has been designed in such a manner as to guarantee the autonomy and well-being of the Turkish Cypriot community, to uphold the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the island, and to foster inter-communal consensus as a basic necessity of government. Were the Westminster model simply to be reproduced exactly in Cyprus, the Cypriot Turks would be hapless to frustrate legislation which discriminated against their community. They would swiftly become disenchanted with democracy, and conflict would resume. In this, they would have an eager backer in the Republic of Turkey.

Hence, the collegiate executive. The distribution of the offices of President and Vice-President between the communities of Cyprus - which, contrary to the Gentleman's snide insinuation, I do understand as being the Hellenic and Turkish communities, and which shall be explicitly identified as such in the actual Constitution of Cyprus - ensures equal representation. The rotation of those offices avoids any feeling of inferior status on the part of either community. The Gentleman assumes that a winner-takes-all model is not only somehow appropriate for the contentious territory of Cyprus, but also without alternative. In Switzerland, the government operates on a similarly conciliary basis, with the Federal Council consisting of all the parties represented in parliament, and the office of President regularly rotating between them. It is my understanding that the Swiss do not believe themselves to be bereft of democracy or self-determination.

As per the principle of equality, both the President and the Vice-President enjoy the right of veto. This is only sensible. If an act injurious to either community was approved by the legislature, then it could not be guaranteed that the President and Vice-President would agree to override it. Therefore, the partible veto ensures that each community shall be defended from injury, so that both the President and the Vice-President and the legislature shall have to co-operate and reach consensus.

Regarding the executive, I do not believe that the Council of Ministers is some 'useless organ' fit only for 'ethnic quotas'. At first, the Hon Member suggests that the legislation is too comprehensive; later, he complains that it is not exhaustive enough! I believe we can fully understand what the Council is: the executive cabinet responsible for collective decision-making and direct departmental administration. Does the Hon Member for the Isle of Thanet mean to imply that the entirety of the government should be vested in and exercised by two people? Likewise, the distribution of these ministerial offices on communal lines is to ensure, again, fair representation of the communities. Would the Turkish Community be content to accept an entire government composed solely of Cypriot Greeks? Would they feel that this government represented them and their legitimate national interests? No. They would feel strangers in their own land, and their resentment would catalyse inter-communal tensions to devastating effect.

On a similar basis, there is a communal distribution of parliamentary representation. The Chamber of Deputies, which most approximates this House, shall be allowed a Hellenic majority, but with significant representation for Turkish Cypriots. The Senate is essentially the safeguard of the constitutional balance. By dividing the senatorial seats equally between the communities, any amendment to the Constitution must obtain support from both communities in order to be achieved. This prevents any subversion of the careful system of checks and balances without the mutual consent of the communities. On a minor aside, I apologise for a typographical error regarding the demographic distribution of the Senate; I have asked the Clerk to correct this.

As for the Communal Councils, it appears that the Hon Member has lost the thread of his criticism, for having once upheld the principle of self-determination, he forsakes it in attacking the communal legislative bodies. The Turkish Cypriots have a right to regulate their own affairs, just as the Hellenic Cypriots do. They may well represent themselves at variance with one another - but it is their right to do so. If we were to attempt to impose some arbitrary consensus from above, the result would be resentment and rebellion. It is far better that the communities learn to co-operate together, on a mutually-beneficial basis, than to enforce such co-operation.

We turn now to the Supreme Constitutional Court. Here I am surprised, for even as the Hon Member's colleagues in the House accuse us of abandoning the Empire, we are now vilified for maintaining even the barest constitutional association with Cyprus. The Constitutional Court must have an uneven number of judges so as to ensure that it can deliver a majority opinion. If five of these judges were Greek and the other four Turks, the latter would cry foul; if the situation was reversed, the former. The only alternative to judicial paralysis is the appointment of an impartial president who may mediate between the judges. The Government believes that it is only suitable that such an appointment derived from the Commonwealth, of which Cyprus shall be a member. If the Hon Member desires to table an amendment suggesting an alternative body, then the House may consider it. But if he simply wishes to abolish the impartial presidency and let the Court descend into incapacity, then the Government must vehemently disagree.

Finally, on the question of the budget, and by extension the entire process of judicial review, the Court would consider the appeal on the same basis as any other legislation: was the veto made with a clear statement of reasons, in accordance with proper procedure, and were these reasons compatible with the Constitution? If, for example, the President had withheld approval of the budget because, hypothetically, they were embezzling funds from the State and did not wish their activities to be discovered, the Court could naturally annul the veto as illegitimate. But that is not a decision for the consideration of the House, and I do not wish to further bore the Members with a protracted analysis of Cypriot civil law...

I shall freely admit the complexity of the political system envisioned for Cyprus, with its many interlocking and oppositional mechanisms. But it is only complex by necessity. The situation in Cyprus is precarious indeed. This is a territory which has experienced multiple insurrections in the past two decades. Any political settlement must be tailored to the conditions on the ground. We cannot simply duplicate our own political system and implant it in Cyprus. In time, the Cypriot peoples may desire to reform the Constitution and divest the mechanisms once they are no longer necessary or practicable. But for now, complexity is the price for peace.

Rt. Hon. Sylvia Leighton PC MP

A member of the Press writes an open letter (unaffiliated with the New Statesman) to the Honourable Member for Sutton and Cheam.

Dear Mrs. Leighton,

Is it possible for you to respond in the House of Commons with less than a professionally edited essay? Us newsmen are running out of ink to print your diatribes.

Sincerely,
Mr. A.W. Burr-Hewitt, Wit-at-Large.

Reactions: