• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Alright, no more OOC please.))

Sir Gibbons, a productive member of British society, makes movements to indicate he is still very much alive.

"Mr, Speaker!

Will the Defence Secretary inform us of whether she considers the massive cuts to the military made under her supervision - despite her constant boasts that she is deeply committed to a strong military - responsible for the deteriorating situation in Northern Ireland and, if so, whether she will follow the Secretary of Scotland's example and resign!"

T. R Jacobs

Last edited:
Mr Speaker,

The Honourable Member for Chelsea must be fully aware that the security of Northern Ireland is underpinned by the Royal Ulster Constabulary, a civilian office. As such, the defence policy of this Government has little bearing on the decision by the terrorists within that province to renew their insurgency. Indeed, I find it rather distasteful of the Honourable Gentleman to so readily exploit militant atrocities for political gain.

The situation in Northern Ireland is clearly being used as a pretext for an assault on the Government, so I shall say a few words on the matter. The Government remains committed to the national defence. Unlike our Tory predecessors, we have scrapped no fleets and abolished no divisions. We have, however, maintained spending suitable to the peacetime status of this country. Thus the United Kingdom has been able to address its outstanding financial obligations, which the Tories shamefully neglected, allowing the Government to shake off the shackles of fiscal penury.

Unlike the Honourable Gentleman, I am not ashamed of my party and I intend to serve the Government for as long as the Prime Minister desires.

Rt. Hon. Sylvia Leighton PC MP
Secretary of State for Defence
Member for Sutton and Cheam

"Mr. Speaker, does anyone here amongst the Opposition honestly believe this tripe?

Tory cheers/Labour jeers.

"If a government halves it's defence spending, and not four years later an armed insurgency sprouts within our own borders, to claim that there is no correlation is an act of gross negligence. And, may I add, the very purpose of this chamber is to debate issues of political controversy - if she finds the implications of her own government's policy distasteful, so be it!

"But I will grant her this, the Defence Secretary is correct - no division nor fleet has been scrapped under this Government. Such measures are not necessary when one of her first acts as Secretary of Defence was to slash military funding by as much as 50%! Why abolish divisions, when you no longer have to pay for their ammunition or wages!

"The fact of the matter is that the Defence Secretary, rather than standing by the principles on which she campaigned to her constituents, has chosen to meekly obey the pacifist gospel of the Prime Minister!

"Will the Rt. Honourable Member for Sutton and Cheam not have an ounce enough of integrity to resign from the cabinet which has constantly forced her to undermine her dearest beliefs?"

T. R. Jacobs

Mr. Speaker,

I believe the Honourable Member for Chelsea has forgotten that this Government does not spend grossly exaggerated numbers of pounds less than the previous government on national defence, indeed, this Government has spend more on internal security than the previous Conservative Government and reappropriated defence funds to other parts of Her Majesty's Armed Forces. However, there is some truth to the words of the Honourable Member for Chelsea, we, as every other British Government after a great and dostly war, need no longer buy more ammonition or tents as they are hardly ever used as intensively as during a world war. After the Boer War, defense spending dropped by more than half, after the First World War, defense spending dropped sevenfold, after the Second World War, defense spending dropped nearly eigthfold.
Mr. Speaker, the Honourable Member of Chelsea might not understand why I bring up these numbers, when this government inherited a Britain at - relative - peace, well, Mr. Speaker, defense spending as part of GDP during the Conservative Government was as high as defense spending as part of GDP in the first year of the Second World War, during the entirety of the Boer War and the first years of the First World War. How did they pay for this? By depriving not only the National Health Service, Education Service and support for local authorities of all funds, but also the Police Force and the internal security forces.

Mr. Speaker, what the Honourable Member of Chelsea should understand is that defense against external threats comes at a cost, and the Conservatives payed it with cuts in the organisations that have fought and will fight the IRA until peace has been returned to the United Kingdom. I can assure this House that this Government will do its utmost to guarentee the safety of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth from internal and external threats, not only with the reappropration of funds to organisations vital to the safety of both but also with international cooperation against these threats.

The Rt. Hon. Dr. Arthur G. Bennett MP,
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

"Mr. Speaker, I would firstly like to note that I, like many within the Conservatives Party, would support the Prime Minister in the protection of British subjects in Northern Ireland.

"However, the Prime Minister's views on defence spending appear a tad surreal in this instance. On the one hand the Prime Minister claims that the Eden Ministry did not cut the military enough, but sitting immediately next to him his own Defence Minister accuses the Conservatives of cutting too much! How can the Labour Party expect to argue its case to the people in the next election when one half of the Labour Party claims that the Conservatives had scrapped too many ships, and the other accuses us of having run a wartime budget!"

"Mr. Speaker, if-"

Call to order.

"Mr. Speaker, if our Leader of the Opposition, while he was Defence Minister, put his own defence and foreign policies to vote before the Conservative Party, he would receive overwhelming support. I doubt the current Defence Minister could put her views on defence and the American alliance before her own c
abinet and receive majority support!

"I must ask again, Mr. Speaker, if the Defence Minister wishes to stand up for her own election-time policies, and - like 15 other former Labour Members - cross the floor to the benches where her views are more readily shared!"

Cheers/Jeers.

Mr. Speaker,

The Honourable Member for Chelsea's skill as rabble rouser are most inspiring, however, the Leader of the Opposition should learn him the skills of listening and sticking to the truth. This Cabinet supports the Minister of Defense and her policies, as it has done unanimously for the past four years. Furthermore, - I thank the Honourable Gentleman for bringing up this point - it is indeed true that the entire Conservative Cabinet supported the measures of Prime Minister Eden and the Right Honourable Member for Wigan, eventhough this cut our internal defense and social spending to the bone. Labour has prudent discussion, Conservatives have disastrous policy.

Members interjecting (Labour and Liberal cheer)

My Right Honourable friend, the Member for Sutton and Cheam, supports not the pacifist policies of the Conservative Government during the 30s or the reckless policies of the last Conservative Government, but a fiscally sound domestic policy and a modern defense policy, which actually seeks to protect the Commonwealth rather than maintain a façade of unequaled strength in reckless gun boat diplomacy; as does this party.

Members interjecting (Labour cheers)

The Rt. Hon. Dr. Arthur G. Bennett MP,
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

Last edited:
"I must ask again, Mr. Speaker, if the Defence Minister wishes to stand up for her own election-time policies, and - like 15 other former Labour Members - cross the floor to the benches where her views are more readily shared!"

Cheers/Jeers.

At this point, Parris Marr turns to Hugh Gaitskell, sat beside him, and asks if he has any idea what the Shadow Health Secretary is on about.

"Mr, Speaker, I hope the Prime Minister will forgive me for not taking a lecture from him on listening, after he lost 15 members for failing to listen to his own party's moderates!

Cheers/jeers.

"And I am sure that the Iraqi Monarchy might have a few comments on the Bennett Ministry's 'protection of the Commonwealth'!

Cheers/jeers.

"But, I must say, any claim from the Prime Minister that his government unanimously supports the Defence Secretary's election promises is purely misleading.

"The Secretary of Defence has consistently supported NATO and mutual assistance with the United States over the last election as a defence measure - and indeed over most of the decade. But who in this Chamber could honestly say that there is a single government this side of Gladstone which has done more to alienate our Atlantic cousins? This government has soured our relationship with the United States to such an extent that it took Soviet tanks in Budapest to even begin reconciliation! The Bennett Ministry has been so isolationist that American investors are turning away from the British market and debtors have punitively pressured this Government for repayment - at enormous expense to the taxpayer!

"I am not alone in wondering how on earth does this come close to the Atlanticist principles which the Labour Party's own Defence Minister promised!

Cheers/jeers.

"I recall several years ago, the Defence Secretary accused the Liberals of a rough wooing of the Scottish voters. But Labour have engaged in an even rougher woo of the center vote - claiming that the Labour Party is a vote of moderation, yet once taking office he immediately embarked on a course which caused our closest allies to turn away from us, and where his own Ministers eviscerate him in the Commons!

"I ask the Prime Minister how he intends to explain this disparity between his election promises and the actual results of Labour Government?"

Last edited:
Mr. Speaker,

It seems the rabble-rousing continues, I would point the Honourable Member for Chelsea to our cooperation with the United States on matters like the Hungarian Revolution. But at this point, I would like to remind the Honourable Member that cooperation is not subordination as the Conservatives have tried to instill into British Foreign Policy. Furthermore I wish to remind him of the prosperity that the British people are experiencing thanks the Labour investment and tax cuts as the Government is paying Conservative debt. This Labour Government has delivered on its promises as both equality and prosperity have increased!

Lastly, I must say that the Honourable Member for Chelsea should consider a carreer in pulp fiction writing, for what he has spouted half truths and remained true to the saying Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

"Mr, Speaker, I hope the Prime Minister will forgive me for not taking a lecture from him on listening, after he lost 15 members for failing to listen to his own party's moderates!”

Marr and Gaitskell ask George Brown if he knows what the Shadow Health Secretary keeps going on about. He does not.

"Mr. Speaker, if I might indulge the rabble in yet more rousing,

"The Prime Minister is all too keen to co-operate with the United States when it comes to lip service towards the Hungarian Revolution or conquering the mighty Icelandic Fishing fleet, but when it comes to matters which seriously concern the United Kingdom's position in the democratic world - his withdrawal from the containment of the Spanish Communist dictatorship - he cannot avoid the temptation to commit arson on our international relations!"

Mr. Speaker,
It is unacceptable to hear such declarations concerning the Spanish Communist democracy. The Honourable Member for Chelsea seems to have no clue on the nature of the Spanish Republic, which has since the popular revolution been liberated from the atrocious fascism and is now a model of democracy and technological progress. But perhaps the Honourable Member for Chelsea preferred Franco's regime? That regime surely had a colonial policy and economic policy that was more in line with the Tory party: imperialism and capitalism with an oppressed population.

- Jarlath Connor, Communist MP for Dagenham

((probably more parliament declarations to come on the ECSC, Ireland and US))

Mr. Speaker,
It is unacceptable to hear such declarations concerning the Spanish Communist democracy. The Honourable Member for Chelsea seems to have no clue on the nature of the Spanish Republic, which has since the popular revolution been liberated from the atrocious fascism and is now a model of democracy and technological progress. But perhaps the Honourable Member for Chelsea preferred Franco's regime? That regime surely had a colonial policy and economic policy that was more in line with the Tory party: imperialism and capitalism with an oppressed population.

- Jarlath Connor, Communist MP for Dagenham

((probably more parliament declarations to come on the ECSC, Ireland and US))

In a rare moment of Parliamentary unity after an intense debate, crossbench shouts of "Tankie!" and "Budapest!" force the Speaker to call order so that the Member for Dagenham can finish speaking.

ON UNITY AND THE FUTURE
Alfred Pressley
The Liberal Experiment has had a variety of victories and defeats over the past several years. What I had planned as a victory for the centre in British politics has, through the various conditions that have gone by, been taken to the verge of collapse by intra-party struggles and petty politicking. Our place has been destroyed by the surging popularity of separatism and the centrist movements of the Conservative Party. Now the virtues that we once stood upon as a beacon to the rest of the world are dismantled, stolen, rejected. Now that beacon has been extinguished. This is no small fault of my own, I will admit - it was my own fault for standing by my principles and beliefs as to the proper administration of the United Kingdom, those same principles and beliefs to which my closest allies similarly adhere to.

It is with this that I formally announce the withdrawal of the National Liberal Party and the dissolution of the Liberal Coalition. It was my own proposal that there be a merger, and thus, it is my own proposal that the coalition be dismantled. Now, just as we had been under Lloyd George, we are a group divided between those conscious of our decisions and those who have rejected the true tenets of liberalism for a position far closer to the leftism of the Labourites. It is, indeed, a dark night for the Liberal Party, which has now lost the support of those who have consistently worked to build up and support the movement toward the centre.

After a dark night, however, the Sun shall rise.

As I announce the dissolution of our prior alliance, I am pleased to announce a merger with a party that has found its way to the same ideological positions of myself and my allies. I am pleased to announce that the National Liberal Party will join with the Conservative Party to enhance the voice of the British people in opposition to the leftism of the Labour Party, the maiming of the foreign policy mechanism by this Government, and the consistent advancement of a new policy of personal liberty for British people and the right to speak their mind, whilst continuing a complete and definite policy of defeating and destroying the threat of communism. This is the future. The future is here, today.

"Former President of the Board of Trade and Labour MP for Islington South Richard Clay Caldwell was pronounced dead by Soviet authorities on June 15th, 1957 at the age of 47. The cause of death? Severe alcoholism is what the Soviets are saying; apparently Caldwell had consumed three bottles of vodka in combination with several other alcoholic beverages the night before and was found with only his pajamas on the streets of Moscow. Several friends of Caldwell have given his widow their condolences. Others have asserted that Caldwell is not dead, but faked his death in order to go into hiding in Brazil. The things people believe these days..."

JDwxDRo.png

Cochrane in 1971

Name: Alexander Cochrane
Born: April 3rd, 1912
Biography: Alexander Cochrane was born to a poor miner in Kent. Cochrane showed an ability for reading and writing at a young age, and so he was educated by his attorney uncle while working as a clerk for his uncle. When he was 18 Cochrane was sent off to a small law school in Kent where he earned his law degree. He entered into the local bar of his hometown shortly after completing school. Cochrane practiced law on the Isle of Thanet for many years and became known for defending poor farmers and miners. In 1941 he went off to war to fight for the homeland, serving as a foot soldier. He returned home in 1945 and resumed his law practice. In 1954, the conservative MP for the Isle of Thanet retired. Several people urged Cochrane to run for the seat. He reluctantly agreed, and his fiery oratory would win him the seat.

Cochrane is a far-right conservative populist who believes firmly in the glory of Britain. He is very outspoken and is among the few who is skeptical that Richard Clay Caldwell died on the streets of Moscow in 1957. A backbencher at heart, he loathes Reginald Gibbon who he thinks betrayed the independence of the backbenches in order to serve as a pawn for the party elite.

lIUfJ8u.png

Scarsdale dissolves NLP, integrates with Tories

The National Liberal Party, Westminster's third largest parliamentary faction, was dissolved by its central executive body after a unanimous vote by senior National Liberal members. The Party's leader, Lord Scarsdale, recommended to the National Liberal Board on Tuesday that the party be assimilated into the Conservative Party in reaction to controversial government policies and a factional desire for policy influence. Lord Scarsdale is believed to have negotiated the assimilation with the Leader of the Opposition, Sir Reginald Gibbons, who has enjoyed a recent surge in popularity following the Government's Lords reform. The National Liberals, a parliamentarian force since 1931, has long struggled to impact policy, barring a brief period of electoral ascendancy following the formation of the Liberal Alliance. The unification of the NLP and the Conservative Party is a well-timed boon for the Leader of the Opposition, who has attempted to replenish his ranks since the collapse of the Force Britannia Club. The NLP will add 2 MPs to the Conservative Party, but more importantly, a sizable portion of the British electorate. Recent polls have shown the Government recovering from the Lords reform, although the NLP addition might hamper the Prime Minister's recovery.

Alexander Cochrane delivers a speech in London and takes questions form the audience...

"Mr. Cochrane, what do you think of the dissolution of the National Liberal Party?"

"What do I think of it? I think good riddance!

*The crowd cheers enthusiastically*

The National Liberal Party are mere pawns in the game of chess between simple, God-fearing Britain and the atheist Bohemian Maoists of Labour! They have served only to confuse good-willed Conservatives into splitting the vote between the Tories and themselves, thereby allowing for Labour to be elected. They posture themselves as moderates, but in truth do you know to which party Lord Scarsdale looked to during the hung parliament of 1949?

*An angry old woman in the crowd shouts "Labour!"*

Yes! The slithering serpent Scarsdale looked to Labour first. But upon being turned away, probably in order to make it look like they weren't in kahoots with the Marxists, they came running into the bed of Sir Gibbon! And what did Gibbon do? Did he tell them to take their tails and gallop on back to their Labour lords? No, he agreed to work with them! It was at that time that I lost any remaining shred of respect for Gibbon. He was now nothing more than a Liberal in tory clothes.

But back to the NLP. Now, Scarsdale will tell you that he fought the Lords reform. Well, I have news for you, the Lords reform was a sham. Labour dangles reform, they dangle the possibility of "more democracy." Nonsense! All they did was put on a show in order to fuel republicanism. To fuel rebellion! Don't believe me? Read the paper!

*Cochrane shows people the headline of a local newspaper. It reads "SEVERAL KILLED IN IRA BOMBING"*

The damned IRA atheists are killing countless British citizens in Ireland. Soon, and believe me, soon! Soon they will be on our own shores in England. And before you know it Bennett, the damned liar who calls himself a "Christian," but we have records of him practicing Judaism in East Anglia before the war! We know that he is secretly a Jewish-Atheist! My good friend Jonas Alexander had a copy of Bennett's birth certificate and his mother is Jewish and his father was a rabbi in Amsterdam! And he disappeared after publishing this in a newspaper. That smells fishy. Believe me it's fishy.

But Bennett, that Mazel tov God-hater Bennett, he will be shaking the hands of the IRA and telling people "The IRA are good Christian people. There is nothing wrong with them. People that oppose them are just racists." And he'll bring the IRA into London and before you know it the crown is dead. And everyone who loves their country and loves their God and goes to church on Sunday will be a racist. It's happening already. We need to stop this before it's too late. Both major parties are basically Marxists. Our democracy is a sham. The Common Wealth Party is portrayed as the Communists in this country, but they are not the only ones. That's what it seems like, but it's a ploy. They have to label someone else a Marxist so that it doesn't look like they are the Marxists!

Don't listen to their lies! Fight for freedom, for civilization, for God, and for Britain! The greatest country to ever grace the earth!"

*The crowd goes crazy with applause and cheers*

Mr Alexander Cochrane
c/o House of Commons
Westminster
Mr Parris Marr
Foreign Office
Whitehall

March 1st 1958
Dear Mr Cochrane,

I read of your recent speech in the paper. Given the depth of your research, I was stunned to hear that you neglected to mention that my wife and children are also Jewish. Irrefutable evidence of a Zionist conspiracy to take over Britain, I'm sure.

No need to thank me.

Yours sincerely,

Parris Marr

Rt Hon Parris Marr
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs