• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Base Resources

Grain 25% larger Land forcelimit.
Wine 25% cheaper stability
Wool 10% cheaper ships
Cloth 25% cheaper maintenance for mercenaries
Fish 1 less revolt risk.
Fur +1 extra prestige a year.
Salt 10% cheaper mainteance for armies
Naval Supplies 25% larger naval forcelimit

Metals
Copper 10% faster recruitment of armies
Gold nothing
Iron 10% cheaper armies

African Resources
Slaves 25% higher tariffs
Ivory +2 to diplomatic skill

Eastern Resources
Tea 33% cheaper advisors
China Ware +5 legitimacy a year
Spices 33% cheaper spies

New World Resources
Coffee 10% higher defensiveness
Cotton 25% higher chance at placing colonists
Sugar 2 less in maximum warexhaustion
Tobacco 25% better spy defence

Last edited:
I like! Very diverse, and significant enough to matter.

When did you get the bonus?
When you were the biggest trader of a good in a CoT?
Or the biggest in the world? I forgot.

Some of these seem a little random - I'm hard pressed to see why spices should give you cheaper spies, or tobacco better spy defence. Would it not be a better idea for the non-military resources to simply give you a bonus to trade or production efficiency?

I agree with the bonuses from the wheat, metals and naval supplies though. Personally I'd have made cloth give cheaper ships (for the sails) and maybe have shifted salt's bonus to reduced attrition.

EDIT - Actually, I might have gone something like this:

Base Resources
Grain 25% larger Land forcelimit.
Wine 2 less revolt risk
Wool 5% production efficiency
Cloth 10% cheaper ship building costs
Fish +10% colonial range
Fur +1 extra prestige a year.
Salt 10% cheaper mainteance for armies
Naval Supplies 25% larger naval forcelimit

Metals
Copper 10% faster recruitment of armies
Gold nothing
Iron 10% cheaper armies

African Resources
Ivory 5% trade efficiency

Eastern Resources
Tea +1 cultural tradition/year
Chinaware 5% trade efficiency
Spices +5% colonial growth (access to hyperspace with Naval Tech 600)

New World Resources
Coffee +2 trade technology investment
Cotton 25% higher chance at placing colonists
Sugar 2 less in maximum warexhaustion
Tobacco +0.5% national tax modifier

Actually, having tried to do this I can see how hard/arbitrary it is!

Last edited:
Umm, 'Easter Resources'? Like our national chocolate egg supply? Or our stores of overpriced toy rabbits?

Some of these seem a little random - I'm hard pressed to see why spices should give you cheaper spies, or tobacco better spy defence. Would it not be a better idea for the non-military resources to simply give you a bonus to trade or production efficiency?

Spices/spies is a terrible pun like thing Johan is very proud of.

Fishman: "Eastern", just a missing n.

Well, some of these made me laugh. "A meteor! Quick make everybody drunk and feed them fish!" France will be as stable as a hippo on a seesaw. Also, does grain mean 25% more troops or existing troops a 25% increase in forcelimit on pants? Tobacco: the ones not smoking are obviously foreign spies. "And why do all these suspicious looking fellows smell like nutmeg? It's everywhere!"

I need to preorder this.

Last edited:

There goes every reason for a large colonial Empire to Abolish-Slavery. That bonus is so immense and irreplaceable that in fact, the only way I could justify abolish slavery was if the decision now also raised Tariffs quite a bit.

There are a few great ones and a few nearly useless ones. Who cares about advisor maintenance? Then again, Tea is very profitable already.

There goes every reason for a large colonial Empire to Abolish-Slavery. That bonus is so immense and irreplaceable that in fact, the only way I could justify abolish slavery was if the decision now also raised Tariffs quite a bit.

There are a few great ones and a few nearly useless ones. Who cares about advisor maintenance? Then again, Tea is very profitable already.

Unless you are playing as, for example, the Ottos and don't have an overseas empire (since you keep a land connection from your capital to your African colonies).

When did you get the bonus?
When you were the biggest trader of a good in a CoT?
Or the biggest in the world? I forgot.
Also wondering about this. How exactly are these modifiers triggered?
Afaik in DW there'll be a bonus for owning (a certain amount of) provinces of a specific trade good and there'll be a bonus for having a certain % of the market (CoTs) of a specific trade good.
Also there'll be a bigger bonus for being the dominant owner (or trader?) of a specific trade good. As the posted modifiers are so powerful I suppose these are the "dominant" ones?

It all sounds really nice but a also a bit confusing..
Feel free to enlighten us ;)

Can I stack bonus from controlling production on top of bonus from controlling trade? Reach +50% land force limits total?

I don't really understand what you have to do to get these resources, and thus get the bonus. Can someone link me to an explanation of how the trade system will work so that we can get specific resources? Thanks!

You need to have at least 33% "trade-access" of a goods.

Which means at least 2 merchants in enough cot's to cover 33% of all tradevalue of that goods in the world.

I'm glad to see that though EU: Rome won't be getting an expansion, its heart lives on in China's faction system and in the strategic resources. Yeee!!

Question though, do you only need one of these resources to get its benefit to your whole country? If yes, what happens if your country has a crapload of grain, for example. Is the idea to directly trade resources a la EUR?