213 princes in the HRE! The hunt for the most princes possible!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lacost

First Lieutenant
36 Badges
Sep 25, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
Yes, Europe as it should look like ....

D10798AC1E61F39F71762963B7DD1331CABCCE40

Oh, wait! Hold on. This doesn't seem right.

73D2DE4DEBF0C619C4438120DB02013F0CBE5DEA

There we go, that's what I'm talking about!

Welcome to the Holy Roman Europe with 213 princes in the HRE.

B76B5B9B9207ED6C1FAA7529A470C4E226E6695F

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usually there is the age-old question: What to do after revoking? Some will conquer the world, some will just quit because they are unstopable now. However, I embraced the HRE-system and converted whole Europe to it.

Germany
F6E916428003CEEDFFB2D5801E773E435C575277

Of course Germany is as small fractured as I could get it. The only exception are the Low-Lands because no matter what I tried those stupid lemmings just instantly rejoined the Netherland Republic as soon as I released them again. So Friesland, Gelre and Holland are not present. Besides that I added some client states to get more princes into the HRE. I restricted myself to 10 client states (there is a bug where you can get an infinite amount).

Unfortunately I had to keep the Czech land for myself because I would have lost too much from my powerbase. I already dropped from 2000 dev to 980.

France
C56A584A9CA105A821E60CE42EDE12237FC2FF1B

France looks beautiful too. I had to restrict the tag "France" to Paris because the historical rival modificator is adding liberty desire. Here again I added 2 Client states in Provence.

Iberia
26CF3D6AD6DAEA86628016FFFC5CBD0BDE1203D2

Iberia was a real pain to get into this shape. Especially Portugal gave me a really tough fight by exiling themselves to Australia, even though they had 3 European provinces left. Then they started building level 6 forts in Polynesia.... It was fun to fight them with such a weak naval power as Austria is.

Then I also pushed Morocco, Tlemcen and Algiers into the HRE. More to the strategy later.

British Isles
B9D8DF4ECBCCC8FF403EE5F4B80FAAB22FDF74D7

The British Isles as they should look like. Nothing special here really. I have no clue about the border frictions in that region. If I have assigned the wrong provinces to the wrong tags, then please shout at me as loud as you can!

Scandinavia
B2525D098A8D650EBE4097ACB21ECFD2BCB4291F

Scandinavia without Iceland because I couldn't fit it on the screen. Sapmi and Karelia revolted so I got those additional tags too.

Eastern Europe
F3A4A546F71778BA2F616A4C849DCA7C2A6A3B8C

Russia was also split up into all the tags I could find there. Hopefully I didn't miss one. Here again I forced Kazakh, Khiva and Sibir into the HRE like I did in Iberia.

Eastern Europe was split into all those tags too. I tried to match their national cultures with their borders in most cases. Unfortunately, I lost the tag of Danzig because the Teutonic order joined my HRE close to 1594 on their own. There was nothing I could do .... I'm sorry.

Anatolia and Balkans
FB81C6F35A5821D8E6914BB74531D4FD6C59F2D0

Anatolia took me the longest time because the Ottomans were so big. I also tried to push in some nations but failed in doing so. In the end only Syria remained a prince. The rest of the Asian land was given to Georgia, Armenia and Syria. Again, I had to keep the Ottomans small or they would have too high liberty desire. Aq Qoyunlu unfortunately vanished before I could get there.

The Balkans were split up for every nation to have a proper core. Athens however was already gone.

Southern Italy
0530EDBCD0B6E6C3CF00F74D8371ED388D8F3A15

Italy also received a tag from Africa: Fezzan. Poor Sicily had to give land to it. Also Malta revolted and created a tag I swiftly integrated into the HRE. Again two client states were added.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully I can motivate some of you to also try this challenge run and beat my 213 princes in the HRE! Here are the strategies on how you can get all those tags to join under the imperial crown.

Phase 1:

Play the HRE. There is nothing more to it. Either keep the princes small or blob away and add imperial provinces. Just be sure to liberate all HRE princes you can before Ewiger Landfriede is passed. Releasing princes after the reform is really hard to do.
Next goal is to revoke as soon as possible. You have to do it around 1550 or you will fail in phase 2.

Phase 2:

This Phase ends with November 1594 because that is the date when all removeable nations will vanish from the map. You need to conquer all major European Powers except the Iberian ones to release those nations. You can directly integrate them or just get them back on the map to renew their core. You also need to expand the HRE territory by coring provinces and adding them to the HRE.
This phase gets a lot easier if you Revoke the Privilegia early so you can utilize your invincible German vassal swarm.

Phase 3:

After 1594 you want to clean up the mess you potentially have created and release every nation you can find, even though they have infinite cores. I recommend to fully core and convert their territory first. Next you realease them as vassals with your religion. Since you have most likely already revoked, those vassals will be like any other German vassal of the HRE. The Return Province action will also work but those nations will not be your vassals despite being a member of the HRE. For some nations (Cyprus or Livonian Order) this is the only option to release them because they can't be released as vassals.

Phase 4:

Last but not least you want to eat the other independent European powers. Be sure to fully annex them (it has to say so in the peace deal) so you are able to release them as an HRE prince. For some reason this includes unfinished colonies too and every backwater island in Polynesia. Like a colony with 500 people can fully represent the might of Great Britain....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to get more than 200 tags? First of all you have to be quick so no nation looses it's core. Next, you can push most nations on Africa and Asia into the HRE. Here is how it works:
Step 1:
Own an HRE province in Europe and create a land bridge to your future prince. Provinces sharing the same sea zone work too.

Step 2:
Vassalize the foreign nation and give it the HRE province.

Step 3:
Loose a war to a personalized punching bag (Bosnia for me) and release the vassal you gave the HRE province.

Step 4:
Wait for the truce to be over and attack the nation. Demand every province except for the one in Europe and vassalize the nation. The HRE is now one prince stronger.

In theory you can get as many tags as there are provinces in Europe. If someone wants to try and add Ming to the HRE, it is theoretically possible. So 213 princes is probably pretty low if a player really wants to go nuts with that strategy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are your thoughts on such challenge runs? Unfortunately, there isn't an achievement for having 200 princes in the HRE, even though there definitely should be one. I very much enjoyed this campaign because it was so radically different. Normally, I would just blob away and outright conquer Europe in the early 18th century. I did that too but I never gained much development. My all times high was 2000 dev. In the end I only hat 980 left.

Playing this diplo and vassal game is pretty funny but mostly I liked the hunt for those removeable nations. There is that date in the midgame (1594) where it is decided if you succeed or fail. It's like the achievements with time limits. After the deadline however you can go crazy and potentially get half of Asia into the HRE. I just stopped it at 213 because I just wanted to finish the campaign at this point.

In the spoiler there are some additional interesting screenshots. Feel free to request some more if you want to.

1E93A4D3BD5CF9B4D861B2588DC11E63C83BBE5D

12ACE52779C87A0E6402E33864661FBE8FDE0457

Once word came out that Karl II von Habsburg reached the age to marry, nobody in Europe could hold back their most beautiful woman anymore.
99BAD9523DCF7B0751260D4496312B7E6C5FCF57

Thanks for reading! I anticipate your comments to my challenge run.

• 1Love
Reactions:
i think the highest possible princes is one country per city/province. How you would do this is start as a merchant republic conquer all of Europe make trade cities in every single city, Then switch to a monarchy and pass the reforms.

i think the highest possible princes is one country per city/province. How you would do this is start as a merchant republic conquer all of Europe make trade cities in every single city, Then switch to a monarchy and pass the reforms.
There is a limit of one trade city per node... Dunno if you can somehow abandon your old one and create a new one.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Care to tell how to do this/what this bug is and how it occurs?

I'm not sure what causes it. I only know that I can create an infinite amount of client states, far beyond the limit of 10 you are supposed to. I once had 12 client states and could create a 13th one. However, I integrated 2 of them so they match the "allowed" number of client states.

Maybe those special HRE vassals have something to do with it that I, as the emperor, can create so many.

I'm unimpressed. That Greece looks so hugly without Athens, Naxos and Corfu!

Awesome. The highest I got was in the 180's when I last tried this, but that was without client states and before tags like Nitra and Dithmarschen were in the game. Some of the turkish cores ran out.

I did use a cheat to get some more nations in the game that you might like to try some day: the ghost nations exploit (which was fixed some patches ago) allowed me to get Great Britain, Etruria, Tuscany, Commonwealth and more formables present in the 1444 start.

There should be an achievement for over 150+ princes in the HRE.

I'm unimpressed. That Greece looks so hugly without Athens, Naxos and Corfu!

I know, but I didn't know how those wacky cores for the crusader states work. You can only release a nation if you have a core on a province with their primary culture. The Knights have Occitain (French), Cyprus has Francien (French), Naxos and Corfu have Lombard (Italy) and Athens has Tuscan (Italy) as their primary culture so even if they survive the Ottoman onslaught, you are unable to release those nations on Balkan grounds. Even "Return province" will most likely give it back to the Ottomans.

The only way to get those tags is to vassalize them yourself or somehow prevent them from getting eaten. If I would have known this I would have been far more active in Greece but once I noticed it the cores already vanished. The Knights joined my HRE on their own and Cyprus luckily only had one core on the island. That's how those two stayed on the map.

There should be an achievement for over 150+ princes in the HRE.

I really would like to see one. Those kind of achievements keep me playing EU4 because they show you a way how to play, you never even realized it existed. Blobbing away is somewhat ordinary. But giving alls those rare cores a face, showing those tags to the player who rushed to release them before 1594 ..... that's a whole new experience. Exactly what an achievement should do.

Curses, the one time I can post and I get ninjaed. :p

Still, ka boom! This was done a while back so Moravia and Muscovy's extra vassals are missing here.
9huuNRm.jpg

Best way of getting this achievement though.
KnP85Gz.png

This guy managed 247 princes, with long distance feeding resulting in the free cities of Kaabu, Buryatia, chickasaw, and others.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/5l5ksr/some_festive_stuffing_of_the_hre_247_princes/

You can also add specific provinces in Asia to the HRE, such as Delhi or Beijing.

Really? I've never seen that before.

Anyways, your strategy of losing a war to Bosnia in order to lose vassals could be improved. You can just release them for 15 prestige and a relations hit. You get a lot of prestige in this setup so that isn't an issue.

• 1Like
Reactions: