[2.6.3] gridBoxType no longer supports scrollbartype property

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Orrie_

Major
107 Badges
Oct 27, 2008
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
As a UI modder, this change in 2.6.3 actually triggered me a bit.
For what actual purpose?

It ruins half my modding, and makes increased content impossible or very broken/ugly when it comes to building slots, districts, map icons, and lot of other stuff that I really haven't grasped over.
Everything was in fine order, so why was this a necessary change?

EDIT:
Ok, so after 6 hours, I managed to fix 3/4 of the affected gridBoxes.
The remaining 6 of them can't be fixed due to interface structure or issues with the gridBox itself.

Code:
Element               Issue
Empire Creator        Advisor voice gridbox doesn't dynamically increase its height when going over the specified height constraint, so scrolling won't activate.
Government window     Advisor voice gridbox doesn't dynamically increase its height when going over the specified height constraint, so scrolling won't activate.
Planet viewer         Building slots for more than 36 (With a modded planetviewer, vanilla can only support 16)
Planet viewer         District types for more than 5 (With a modded planetviewer, vanilla can only support 4)
Starbase window       The trade route button prevents a pleasing setup if scrolling is required
Topbar                Resources gridbox doesn't dynamically increase its height when going over the specified height constraint, so scrolling won't activate.
A note about the building slot and district slot is that it was possible to have an "infinite" amount of them without completely breaking the UI, but now it's not possible without making the UI look unpleasing.
Seems like the advisor voice and resources gridboxes are bugged(?), as they do not increase the their sizes as other gridBoxes do.
A solution with the gridBoxes for the Planet Viewer and Starbase is that they could be wrapped in dedicated containers which will allow easy handling when the building slot or district slot is increased through modding.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Co-signed. Mods that add districts (Gulli's is a prime example) are the most effected, and removing the ability to scroll these grids really serves no function whatsoever.

They are changing stuff with no regards on player input for sure. I place this under the same category as the planet notifications missing "bug". These are not bugs these are changes to the base code and functionality without player or modder input. SO much for asking your community or raising a poll, SO much for mentioning this in the dev diary or in the actual release notes - after all who are we? customers?

I gave up trying to fix my gui mod selection after wasting more than an hour because of this.

I really hope we'll get some feedback on *what* they are doing or what;s planned, sooner than later.

Please, could we have an explanation and see if there could be a way to better implement this change. OP seems to have a good idea. The impact on the different mods is really big. Hope someone will be able to provide some answers/feedback from the Dev team. Thank you in advance.

Hi Paradox,
Why did you do this change?
With 2.6.3 the game is unplayable.
I love Orries Mods and i wont play the game without them.
Please make the scrollbar for Building slots available again.

Try adding a transparent background, you should be able to add a scrollbar then. We fixed some issues in gridboxes, this is a side-effect of that.

Reactions:
Doesn't work for the gridboxes in the planet viewer, as they have sibling elements that's not supposed to be manipulated by the scroll.
If it was that simple, I wouldn't have made this thread.

I agree with kagora2 many mods i use have Orries mods as prerequisites and i most likely would stop playing if important scrollbars are non functional.
So it would be really amazing if Paradox could work out something together with the modders so it won't break useful features completly.

Try adding a transparent background, you should be able to add a scrollbar then. We fixed some issues in gridboxes, this is a side-effect of that.

Currently I'm unable to scroll through the list of available voice advisors, unable to see even the full list of vanilla ones. Is this intended behavior caused by this gridbox fix?

Currently I'm unable to scroll through the list of available voice advisors, unable to see even the full list of vanilla ones. Is this intended behavior caused by this gridbox fix?

That's also an issue I found, and it happens in the empire creator too.
Same happens with the resource box in the topbar.

Doesn't work for the gridboxes in the planet viewer, as they have sibling elements that's not supposed to be manipulated by the scroll.
If it was that simple, I wouldn't have made this thread.
Is it possible to hope the 2.6.3 beta branch will not be push into production until a common ground has been found regarding this issue ? Thanks in advance.

I can only support what Orrie has said. For me and my mods these scrollbars were essential (not a UI modder, but I use these Dynamic UI mods), this would result in countless mods becoming unplayable.

For my current mod this would break the game for 15.000+ active users and there are countless mods out there that would get broken as well.

That's also an issue I found, and it happens in the empire creator too.
Same happens with the resource box in the topbar.

Given that this does not only affect mods, but also the base game, I would encourage everyone reading this thread to file a bug report on the off chance they might read it.