• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Its not much, but I've updated the RMG mod.
I've removed the now superfluous Void label and Shadow Realm zoom levels.
I've added a couple of generation passes that try to make sure there is clear land around the Gates on the Surface and Underground.
This is still not 100% though, I suspect the ones it isn't working on are supposed to have been vetoed or culled somewhere. I suspect this because if I set the Shadow Realm layer connectors to be Cave Entrance/Exit, there are much less created and none are in mountains or water. I can't see why it would treat them differently though.
There is also an extra pass which I think is something about generating Expansion sites in the Shadow Realm. Not sure if it does anything, but the other layers have it.

Made some small tweaks to the Spawner sites to make them stand out a bit more, visually and mechanically.
Chaos Rift is now called Magic Rift in game. In the mod its still called Chaos Rift as its too much effort to rename all the pieces.
It also has stronger defenders and a bigger reward (I think?), but will send out weaker marauders than a Larval Pool will.
Larval Pool now has a swirly black vfx around it.

Heart of Shadows - Related descriptions

As for vanilla hearts, we have (in structures.xml):

• A site description:
HEART_ARCTICS_EXPLORED DESCRIPTION
Adds {STR_income} and {STR_CP}, adds the ability Inflict Frostbite to produced units and removes all Arctic terrain penalties when located within your domain.

(here, the "explored" version; there is an "unexplored" version)
  • A unit passive ability:
HEART_ARCTICS_UNITPROPERTY DESCRIPTION
This unit is owned by a player with Heart of the Arctics in their domain. This unit receives no Arctic morale penalties.

Now, as for the Heart of Shadows, on the other hand, we have:

• A site description:
STRUCTURE_HEARTOFSHADOWS DESCRIPTION
Adds {STR_income} and {STR_CP} when located in your domain. All units produced in a city with this structure in its domain gain Shadow Walker and Shadow Demon Slayer.

(note that there is no "unexplored" version of this description)
  • no unit passive ability description.
  • passive ability is Shadow Walker.
Suggestion:

1. Change STRUCTURE_HEARTOFSHADOWS DESCRIPTION into STRUCTURE_HEARTOFSHADOWS_EXPLORED DESCRIPTION:
    Code:
    Adds {STR_income} and {STR_CP}, adds the ability Shadow Demon Slayer to produced units when located within your domain.
  2. Adds STRUCTURE_HEARTOFSHADOWS_UNEXPLORED DESCRIPTION:
    Code:
     When explored: Adds {STR_income} and {STR_CP}, adds the ability Shadow Demon Slayer to produced units when located within your domain.
  3. Adds HEARTH_SHADOWS_UNITPROPERTY DESCRIPTION:
    Code:
    This unit is owned by a player with Heart of Shadows in their domain. This unit receives Shadow Walker and thus is immune to Shadow Sickness. (Heart of Shadows)

Last edited:
I corrected the .xml based on the actual effect of the Heart: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Heart_of_the_Shadow
STRUCTURE_HEARTOFSHADOWS DESCRIPTION: "Adds {STR_income} and {STR_CP}, adds the abilities Shadow Walker and Shadow Demon Slayer to produced units and grants Shadow Walker when located within your domain."

So now we would need to add:
STRUCTURE_HEARTOFSHADOWS_UNEXPLORED DESCRIPTION: "When explored: Adds {STR_income} and {STR_CP}, adds the abilities Shadow Walker and Shadow Demon Slayer to produced units and grants Shadow Walker when located within your domain."

HEARTH_SHADOWS_UNITPROPERTY DESCRIPTION:
"This unit is owned by a player with Heart of Shadows in their domain. This unit receives Shadow Walker and Shadow Demon Slayer." (Heart of Shadows)

And potentially rename STRUCTURE_HEARTOFSHADOWS DESCRIPTION into STRUCTURE_HEARTOFSHADOWS_EXPLORED DESCRIPTION

I updated the list of known issue with that.

Will there be more support for larger map sizes? I'm playing on Extra Large and getting a buffer warning every time I load, and constantly worry about spontaneous deletion.

Will there be more support for larger map sizes?

Unfortunately as I told you on Steam earlier, there isn't much we can do. We already optimized the models to save memory. We can probably gain a bit more and we'll surely try to later on, but it is very likely that issues will remain for very large map sizes and when other memory-intensive mods are used. That's due to the limitations of the 32bit of AoW3.

New stuff to modify: Killer Instinct in the base game should get Shadow Elf Slayer too. And that ability also needs to be created (it doesn't exist yet as far as I know).

What does Classic do?

Is there a list of new MCU adding structures? I want to update my League of Extraordinary Builders modmod to have the new structure added by the Shadow layer.

I started to investigate the Tome of Wonder a little in order before I start to create hints and dialogues with hypertext. In this case, I found some issues.

20190411170006_1.jpg

Their is three Shadow Shift. One should be sufficient.

One is different claiming
o: Does not cost action points
o: Can only be used once per battle

20190411170122_1.jpg

There is none for Heart of Shadows. (Unit abilities)

20190411170550_1.jpg

We have none for Shadow Demon lord and Larvae.

20190411171430_1.jpg

In this picture, we have a game concept for both Surface and Underground. One should also be added for the "Shadow Realm" also to be complete.

20190411172231_1.jpg

Exploit shadows missing icon.
Lesser Shadow walking displayed two times

Last edited:
- Shadow Artifact does not cause -1/-1/-1 to non-Shadow Walkers OUTSIDE the Shadow Realm (it should give them -1/-1/-1 but NOT on the Shadow Realm as it does not stack with Vulnerable to Shadow Sickness, and it should affect only non-Shadow Walkers)

This has been resolved and can be removed from the list.

- Chamber of Rejuvenation should not fully Heal units but only Heal them as Chamber of the Rite does (20% HP? to be confirmed but I don't think it does full healing)

Chamber of the Rite fully heals units, so this is working as intended.

- Archon units lack their racial traits: True Sight and Shadow Walker

Fixed.

- Lost Privateer: stats (HP, def, res) need to be updated to match the Wikia: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Lost_Privateer Assassin's Strike's and melee strike's damage needs to be corrected. Medal damage bonus also need to be updated.

I haven't figured out the medal's issue yet, but the stats are correct.

Also, the Assassin's Strike on the wiki doesn't make sense. Assassin's strike is a +10/+5 attack on top of the base damage. I'm not sure what was intended, so I added a new ability, Mercenary Strike that has the no retaliation effect like Assassin's Strike, but not the damage boost. It only does 20/9 damage. If that wasn't intended, let me know.

- Killer Instinct in the base game should get Shadow Elf Slayer too. And that ability also needs to be created.

These were fixed previously at some point

- the battlefield enchantment Shadow Weed Decoction for Celestial Pools lack an icon (should be the one from Shadow Weed Decoction) and its description displays {shadowWeedTurns} instead of 3. And actually in that case, it should not be limited to 3 turns. The tactical spells should be limited to 3 turns but not the battlefield enchantment.

I've added a different name and description for it "Shadow Weed Blessing." The description no longer references the turn duration.

Also, the icon for that combat property needs to be linked properly.

- Exploit Shadows' icon is not linked

This is fixed.

Also, the Assassin's Strike on the wiki doesn't make sense. Assassin's strike is a +10/+5 attack on top of the base damage. I'm not sure what was intended, so I added a new ability, Mercenary Strike that has the no retaliation effect like Assassin's Strike, but not the damage boost. It only does 20/9 damage. If that wasn't intended, let me know.
My bad. I suggest to stay simple and not introduce a new ability, so I edited the Lost Privateer to have a normal Assassin's Strike with +10/+5. Also, please double check the damage of its normal melee strike as I had made a mistake on the Wikia. -> https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Lost_Privateer

I've added a different name and description for it "Shadow Weed Blessing." The description no longer references the turn duration.
Ok why not, but what about keeping the name Shadow Weed Decoction too? It simplifies things and is similar to the way most current site battle enchantments work: they're copies of existing spells.

I updated the list of known issues on p.1.

My bad. I suggest to stay simple and not introduce a new ability, so I edited the Lost Privateer to have a normal Assassin's Strike with +10/+5. Also, please double check the damage of its normal melee strike as I had made a mistake on the Wikia. -> https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Lost_Privateer

No problem. I'll switch it back to the normal assassin's strike.

I thought the melee attack seemed a bit strong :) Will reduce it.

Ok why not, but what about keeping the name Shadow Weed Decoction too? It simplifies things and is similar to the way most current site battle enchantments work: they're copies of existing spells.

I changed the name since I added a new name entry so the two weren't dependent on the same entry to make sure I changed it when testing and realized I forgot to change it back after uploading. The same name works.

New issues:
- Warband Campfire unit set for the spawners do not match the Wikia: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Warband_Campfire (it includes also non-SE or Draconian units)
- Celestial Pool: the idea is that you need to drink from it, like Well of Souls, not that you get healed by walking over it.
RMG - Gemstone Mines are sometimes generated in clusters of 3, see https://www.my-league.com/games/273...0190430_SR-RMG_3-Gemstone-mines-clustered.jpg
- the SE city in ruins' TC map lacks decoration: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/public/451408/aow3_SRCE_tacticalCityRuinsUnpassableHex.jpeg
For instance under these conditions:
[00:03:15][WORLD_ACTIVATE]BACKGROUND SLOT: Inner North East = Fertile Plains
[00:03:35][WORLD_ACTIVATE]BACKGROUND SLOT: Inner South West = Fertile Plains
[00:03:35][WORLD_ACTIVATE]BACKGROUND SLOT: Outer North = Fertile Plains
[00:03:35][WORLD_ACTIVATE]BACKGROUND SLOT: Outer South = Fertile Plains
[00:03:35][WORLD_ACTIVATE]Searching for an environment record! Material: 'Fertile Plains' Layer: 'Shadowrealm Layer' Theme: 'Shadowrealm - Theme' Race: 'Shadow Elf - Race Definition'
[00:03:38][WORLD_ACTIVATE]Using environment record: Shadowrealm_Env
[00:03:38][WORLD_ACTIVATE][TC-Map Appearance] Reverb settings: (null)
[00:03:38][WORLD_ACTIVATE]ENVIRONMENT: Using environment set AOW_TC_BLIGHTED_FERTILE
[00:03:38][WORLD_ACTIVATE]ENVIRONMENT: Using sky dome Bli_Fertile_Skydome

Old one which was supposed to be fixed but apparently is not:
- the (SR) Crystal Tree, Forbidden Sanctum, Wizard Tower Ruins do not display the MCU in their description. They aren’t displayed because the Shadow Realm versions of these structures don’t unlock the MCUs right now, a MCU can only be linked to one structure and they’re already linked to the regular versions of these structures. So a solution needs to be found.

- the (SR) Crystal Tree, Forbidden Sanctum, Wizard Tower Ruins do not display the MCU in their description. They aren’t displayed because the Shadow Realm versions of these structures don’t unlock the MCUs right now, a MCU can only be linked to one structure and they’re already linked to the regular versions of these structures. So a solution needs to be found.

This is probably the same issue with the other set of SR structures that I fixed twice because I missed a link.

- Warband Campfire unit set for the spawners do not match the Wikia: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Warband_Campfire (it includes also non-SE or Draconian units)

I'll take a look at the sets it's using. What else is showing up? The Lesser Shadow Stalker should be the only other one besides SE and Draconian units.

- Celestial Pool: the idea is that you need to drink from it, like Well of Souls, not that you get healed by walking over it.

I originally created the structure with a button to do just that, but the decision was made previously to switch to a normal visit structure. So, which do we want? They need to be entirely different structures, which requires all references to it to be updated to switch between them.

My bad for this one, I forgot to remove it from my post. There is no issue with this one.

I originally created the structure with a button to do just that, but the decision was made previously to switch to a normal visit structure. So, which do we want?
Alright, the error seems to be coming from me, I checked old post. I'm not sure why I thought it should be a "healed when visited" instead of a "drink". But let's stick with "healed when visited" then, and I update the Wikia.

New issues (and some old ones we thought were fixed but they were not):
RMG - Not enough spawners are generated on the Shadow layer: to calibrate compared to surface and UG. This one was supposed to be fixed but it's still an issue. Only 1 Lava Pool, 2 Magic Rifts and 0 Warband Campfire on a Medium map...
- Lightning Cannon, Lost Privateer, Elder Cockatrix, Elder Frost Dragon, Elder Bone Dragon, Elder Phoenix, Elder Spider Queen lack a ToW entry
Probably related to that:
[21:45:35][ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Unit Lost Privateer - Unit invalid! No ScreenDescription!
[21:45:37][ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Unit Shadow Demon Larva invalid! No ScreenDescription!
[21:45:37][ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Unit Elder Spider Queen invalid! No ScreenDescription!
[21:45:37][ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Unit Elder Cockatrice invalid! No ScreenDescription!
[21:45:37][ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Unit Elder Phoenix invalid! No ScreenDescription!
[21:45:37][ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Unit Elder Bone Dragon invalid! No ScreenDescription!
[21:45:37][ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Unit Elder Frost Dragon invalid! No ScreenDescription!
[21:45:37][ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Unit Will Breaker invalid! No ScreenDescription!
[21:45:37][ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Unit Shadow Demon Lord invalid! No ScreenDescription!
[21:45:37][ERROR][HUD_TomeOfWonders]Structure Haunted Inn invalid! No Icon!
- Archon ability lacks its icon and description: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Archon
- the battlefield enchantment Shadow Weed Decoction for Celestial Pools lack an icon (should be the one from Shadow Weed Decoction)
- Kyridarion the Shielder, have a skin texure looking like Humans/High Elves. Supposed to be fixed but still looks like a Human or High Elf.
- Call Forth Darkness should display "Call Forth Darkness" in the tooltip when attacking, so that players know the enemy units will get -100 morale, or at least, "Call Forth Darkness" should be displayed as a red property in the unit panel after it's affected to explain the -100 morale, and that should also appear in the morale tooltip (currently it displays "-100 (null)")
- The descriptions of Forgotten Thrones need to be updated to include the additional vision range, etc. cf. the Wikia: https://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Forgotten_Throne
- Equipment Instability Field and its effect Disrupt Equipment both needs to be renamed to Disrupted Equipment, cf. https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Forge_of_Dreams and associated battle enchantment https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Disrupted_Equipment
RMG - Long narrow (1 hex) paths are still generated with nothing for many turns, see screenshots https://www.my-league.com/games/273...dow-Realm_RMG_long-paths-to-nothing-in-SR.jpg and https://www.my-league.com/games/273...w-Realm_RMG_long-paths-and-no-sites-in-SR.jpg
RMG - Roads lead to non-city, non-Dwelling, non-Inn sites in the Shadow layer: Celestial Pool,

- Lightning Cannon, Lost Privateer, Elder Cockatrix, Elder Frost Dragon, Elder Bone Dragon, Elder Phoenix, Elder Spider Queen lack a ToW entry
Probably related to that:

I'll take a look at the others later this week, but these are due to a weird discrepancy in the way the game handles descriptions. The normal unit window description can be all whitespace characters, but the ToW has a problem with all whitespace descriptions.

I removed the "<unit name> Desc" placeholders and set them to whitespace to avoid displaying the placeholder in the unit window. Apparently, this also disables the ToW entries for those units.

Spawners: You can't calibrate to other layers very well. They tend to get more landmass. If you want more, they will have to be closer together.

As for the Paths, they are generated after Sites are. If I stop them travelling long distances you can expect disconnected regions in the SR.