• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
- the (SR) Crystal Tree, Forbidden Sanctum, Wizard Tower Ruins do not display the MCU in their description. They aren’t displayed because the Shadow Realm versions of these structures don’t unlock the MCUs right now, a MCU can only be linked to one structure and they’re already linked to the regular versions of these structures. So a solution needs to be found.

- none of the new MCU of Forgotten Thrones can be built (except the Altar to the Eldritch Horror)

Turns out I forgot to add the race link data entries for these MCUs and the Elder Creatures/MCUs. Both of these should be fixed and the Elder Creatures should be able to be built now.

- the damage bonus of the medals of the Elder Bone Dragon do not match the Wikia: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Elder_Bone_Dragon
- the Elder Cockatrice's HP, def and res as well as medal damage bonus do not match the Wikia: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Elder_Cockatrice
- Elder Frost Dragon should not have Frost Breath (my mistake initially), lacks Path of Frost on Veteran, and its medal damage bonus need to be ajusted: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Elder_Frost_Dragon

These should be fixed to match the wiki now.

- Lay Eggs and Geyser lack an icon so cannot be used in game

Is this still a problem? Both abilities work for me. Need new FX and icons for Lay Eggs at least, but it works.

- Lost Privateer: stats (HP, def, res) need to be updated to match the Wikia: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Lost_Privateer Assassin's Strike's and melee strike's damage needs to be corrected. Medal damage bonus also need to be updated.

Mostly fixed. There is some weirdness with the Lost Privateers medals where it uses some default entries (so it has the new ones in addition to the defaults). Does anyone remember how this is set? I remember running into it with other units, but I forget where it was at the moment.

- Warp Equipment needs to be renamed and replaced by Disrupted Equipment (effects to redo): https://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Disrupted_Equipment The spell needs to remained associated to Forge of Dreams

This was already added, but didn't have any visual or sound effects. I added some of the Wild Magic FX to it, so it is visible that the effect has happened.

- the correction to the Shadow layer zoom (by Gloweye) must be done in the Content mod, not the RMG mod

Still need to do this and link the new icons.

That's weird. I'm pretty sure I uploaded both the acp and taf both times. Not sure exactly when the taf files are generated, but the ability has always worked for me.

Stupid question, but the only thing I can think of: You are trying to use the ability on a valid (I forget the exact set) corpse, right?

You are trying to use the ability on a valid (I forget the exact set) corpse, right?
The ability actually was not showing up in the Elder Spider Queen's list of abilities. I tried again with a new map instead of a save and this time I have it. I'd make it self target (like Devour Corpse and Spawn Larva) and not Short range, since I would not find it very realistic to lay eggs at a distance.

Also, reporting back an issue here but not adding it to the list of known issues since it seems more memory-related and not fully SR-related:
- crash after auto-save when the turn is processing for AI:
[21:45:38][ERROR]Assertion failed: "retval"
[21:45:42]Message: realloc failed!
[21:45:42]d:\source.aow.steam\creator\ek\source\Memory/EHeap.cpp(362): (click to open)
[21:45:42]
[21:45:42][ERROR]Assertion failed: "FData!=NULL || pNewCapacity<=0"
[21:45:46]Message: Out of memory!
[21:45:46]Source\EStream.cpp(372): (click to open)
[21:45:46]
That deletes the latest auto-save game, and happens in unpredictable way. It happens on Colossus maps. The save is 6,161KB big.

Yeah I don't think that error is likely to be totally SR related (except for the memory footprint of a whole extra layer).
If you can get a repeatable save for it, it might be worth passing it on to Triumph. But I'm not sure they can do anything about it since it appears to be saying that it couldn't allocate any more memory. 32bit limit likely hit.

I think all of the new icons were updated sometime in the past. Are there any that aren't linked properly with the updated version?

I'd make it self target (like Devour Corpse and Spawn Larva) and not Short range, since I would not find it very realistic to lay eggs at a distance.

I've updated it to be like Spawn Larva which is melee range. Makes much more sense now :D

The content mod now has the Void and Camera fixes in it. I didn't update the RMG to take them out.

The Content mod's been updated on Steam with the new set of fixes. If there are any things that were missed which really need to be pushed out, let me know and I can release another version on Sunday.

I'll remove those things from the RMG mod. Can you make a note of where they were?

I was going to make a few tweaks to spawner sites, but those are minor.
Did the fix for making the Glass Furnaces look blueish get in? I'm about to run out the door, so I can't check at the moment.

I'm going to try tackling the Shadow Gate issues (again) over the next couple of days, but I can't guarantee anything there.

I'll remove those things from the RMG mod. Can you make a note of where they were?

They were in the AoW_TerrainLogic.rpk file. I think the entire rpk can be removed since they were the only edits in it.

Overlays: "Void" replacing lava
Terrain Layer Type - Definitions: Shadow Realm layer has edited camera values.

Did the fix for making the Glass Furnaces look blueish get in? I'm about to run out the door, so I can't check at the moment.

I had forgotten to check that. If the same entry in the .clb is updated, no other changes should be needed.

It seems it did not. Still orange. Unless I missed one, none of the .clb files have been updated in dropbox yet.

@Artfactial, did you put an updated .clb anywhere for the glass furnace? Just want to make sure I didn't miss it.

I'm going to try tackling the Shadow Gate issues (again) over the next couple of days, but I can't guarantee anything there.

Godspeed! :D

Oh, sorry, I had placed the file in the dropbox Mods/Shadow Realm folder, but forgotten to make it upload.
The GlassFurnace.clb should be uploaded now!

I haven't been able to spend as much time as I had liked on the Elder Frost Dragon and the Heart of Shadows issue still persists, I hope to get back to it in the coming days.:)

Last edited:
Not making much progress here.
It looks like adding the Surface/Underground Gate cleanup passes clears an area around some of the underground Gates and makes some of the surface Gates on clear land.
Given the relatively smaller number of Caves compared to Gates, despite equal Count values and the above sentence; I'm getting the impression it should have culled all those Gates we see placed in Water or Mountains, or something like that.

Apparently, we've got an incompatibility with Fortress Additions Addendum https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1169198047
This mod modifies the following .rpk:
Aow_Structures
Aow_Unitproperties
Unitpioneer
Unithalflings
Unitfrostlings
Unittigrans
Cityhalflings
Cityfrostlings
Citytigran
Citypropertieslogic

It does that:
Replaces the 'Build Fortress' and ‘Build Watchtower’ abilities of Builders with the 'Build Sentry Camp' and ‘Build Lookout’ abilities. Upgrade chains are: Sentry Camp -> Wooden Fort -> Stone Fortress -> Stronghold and Lookout -> Watchtower.
+ gives racial bonus to Fortress.

Apparently it is not possible to upgrade buildings and the Build Sentry Camp and Build Lookout are not there.
Any idea why it is incompatible with us?

EDIT: forget about it, it was based on an incomplete bug report. It affects only SE, which is obviously normal.

Last edited:
Alright, better news from this side.
After closer inspection, the Heart of Shadows pinkness-problem appears to have been a silly missing Glow texture. The material was using a missing glow.dds, hence, turning pink when it had to display it in-game.
I changed it into the Core Dark-Blue mask glow, which seems to work: the bug did not re-appear in the editor. Unless there was a specific plan for the glow of the structure?
I have uploaded the new version to Dropbox!

Re: Incompatibility. Not sure. Would need to run both and check the debug log. I wouldn't expect that to conflict much. At most I would just expect SE Builders to not have the new options, or the extra bonus on Fortress. (So it will need a compatibility patch anyway.)
Speculating that our mod is somehow blocking the creation of their new abilities or structures.

https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Lost_Privateer
Mostly fixed. There is some weirdness with the Lost Privateers medals where it uses some default entries (so it has the new ones in addition to the defaults). Does anyone remember how this is set? I remember running into it with other units, but I forget where it was at the moment.

Mmh, maybe I set the medals wrong in the Wikia then?
I think the only location to update medal bonus is in title.rpk but that would change them for the whole tier?

I updated the list of known issues.

At most I would just expect SE Builders to not have the new options, or the extra bonus on Fortress. (So it will need a compatibility patch anyway.)
Speculating that our mod is somehow blocking the creation of their new abilities or structures.
I can confirm your first expectation. Draconian builders can indeed build Lookout and Sentry Camp for 60 gold each (I didn't test further up the building chain). I wish I had thought about this myself!

Mmh, maybe I set the medals wrong in the Wikia then?
I think the only location to update medal bonus is in title.rpk but that would change them for the whole tier?

The wiki is fine I think. I believe there is a way to connect/disconnect units to/from the default damage medal bonuses. A lot of units just have the damage bonuses explicitly listed on the unit. The lost privateer (probably due to being a copy of the Mariner) uses the default values and has them explicitly set which results in both being applied. I'll look into it