Value of Grossraumwirtschaft in Pre War, Skipping Autobahn

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gefallener_Held

General
38 Badges
Oct 19, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
In my prewar build up, I selected Autobahn before Anschluss (finished Dec 37) but I no longer like the Autobahn focus. I went back, did Anschluss in the Summer after the Soviet tank treaty and then did Grossraumwirtschaft. Considerations weighing in favor of this:

- 80 percent infrastructure is sufficient in Franken and Hannover-Westfallen. Thuringen and Brandenburg are where 100 percent infrastructure makes sense. This means that half of the bonuses in Autobahn are negligible. I did Brandenburg after Anschluss, Thuringen after Grossraumwirtschaft.

- Germany needs 80 percent infrastructure in provinces bordering Poland (six total) plus rail upgrades in the East followed by rail upgrades in the West before Fall Gelb, with one hundred percent making sense in Lower Silesia (iirc, the province above Ostmark with most slots, chrome). If one chooses war integration later, it makes more sense to grab this focus in lieu of Autobahn

- By taking Anschluss summer of 37, (completed Sept 37), the civ factories not produced by building infrastructure in Brandenburg and Thuringen are recouped.

- Germany needs 80 percent infrastructure in provinces bordering Poland (six total) plus rail upgrades in the East followed by rail upgrades in the West before Fall Gelb

Does she, though?

I understand the need for more infra and rails in the run up to Barbarossa, but I've never felt that I was missing much by ignoring those focuses prior to France capitulating. The thing that slows me down the most in Poland are the few divisions that last stand on day 1, but even then, I can beat the Poles before Around the Maginot completes in 28 days. And then I can defeat France and Benelux before Weserbrung completes in another 28 days.

But, I am also the player that puts LOG in all frontline divisions, so your mileage might vary.

Reactions:
I really can't imagine a scenario where you need to build up railroads for the start of WW2. Do agree that Autobahn is probably not worth it. I'm a big fan of building infra for the long-term pay off (I feel like so many people evaluate it only on the current building slots as if they are never going to do dispersed/concentrated industry tech?) + resources, but still Germany has so many good focuses to do that this one really doesn't feel worthwhile compared to going to war earlier or just rushing to other stuff pre-war. And doing it late means you build without the infra in those states anyway and thus get even less benefit when you do do the focus, or leave some of your highest slot states untouched til like 1940, neither of which is great.

(I feel like so many people evaluate it only on the current building slots as if they are never going to do dispersed/concentrated industry tech?)

Guilty as charged.

But in my defense, I'm also trying to balance things between "I can build more stuff now" versus "I get more stuff later." Every infra I build now is fewer MIC now building equipment now. In a number of cases, I'd rather have more equipment now so I can take other people's factories to build more stuff later.

But I will say that I really try to optimize free infra from focuses, factory construction, and the Tankograd focus as the Soviets. With the right schedule, you can get the full Tankograd factory count with minimal construction effort as the Soviets.

I really can't imagine a scenario where you need to build up railroads for the start of WW2.
The only time I do this is if there is a specific port-to-port supply where a quick rail-fix will make it stop being exposed at sea. Le Havre in France is an example, Wilhelmshaven is another. Build that level 1 rail line to Wilhelmsaven to level 2, and it stops getting supplied by sea. Same for Brest supplying Le Havre by sea.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The only time I do this is if there is a specific port-to-port supply where a quick rail-fix will make it stop being exposed at sea. Le Havre in France is an example, Wilhelmshaven is another. Build that level 1 rail line to Wilhelmsaven to level 2, and it stops getting supplied by sea. Same for Brest supplying Le Havre by sea.

The fact that your method is a completely viable strategy brings this to mind:

1699586510235.jpeg

• 5Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
How to kill Poland Jan 36:
Step 1: Put up Fighters and CAS 1699591772976.png
Step 2: Activate battleplan, select all units, right click Warsaw 1699592309806.png
Step 3: Select units around pocket and right click the pocket 1699592542600.png

If necessary, repeat Step 3.

When you put it like that it definately seems worthless compared to grossraumwir-long-german-word, but I take it because I don't do integrate war economys, I just go German war economy right after Japan declares on China.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Historical the german gouverment want go full in trucks and highways. But the army comand say no. Trains and rails are the backbone for the strategic relocation. They listen not at the army. First problems of this decison was show in 1938. To many projects and order if that the "Reichsbahn" (railway company) can handle it. Funfact they has the order to build 3000 km highway. From 1933 to 1938 the transportvolume at the rail has twice but compared to 1933 there are only 10% more trains. The most of the other stuff was old. Rethink cam first as a railway official a procurent plan 38-41 the "Wehrmacht" presentet. At 1942 they have use the expierience to updatet the Train Mio (there was more as Henschel) and build the new type of "Kriegslok 52" but it was to late. At the end they have 2500 build of them plus the old stock and it was never enough. Can a trainexpert or nerd ecplaine me for what need a train wind deflectors? There was problems in the east at the winter.

1699611129382.png

Last edited:
Historical the german gouverment want go full in trucks and highways. But the army comand say no. Trains and rails are the backbone for the strategic relocation. They listen not at the army. First problems of this decison was show in 1938. To many projects and order if that the "Reichsbahn" (railway company) can handle it. Funfact they has the order to build 3000 km highway. From 1933 to 1938 the transportvolume at the rail has twice but compared to 1933 there are only 10% more trains. The most of the other stuff was old. Rethink cam first as a railway official a procurent plan 38-41 the "Wehrmacht" presentet. At 1942 they have use the expierience to updatet the Train Mio (there was more as Henschel) and build the new type of "Kriegslok 52" but it was to late. At the end they have 2500 build of them plus the old stock and it was never enough. Can a trainexpert or nerd ecplaine me for what need a train wind deflectors? There was problems in the east at the winter.

View attachment 1045432
To be honest, I am surprised that the game does not include Breitspurbahn, one of the mega projects of which Hitler raved. This railway has an ultra-wide track and train speeds of 200-250 km/h. In the game, you can rename Berlin to the Germania.

Reichsautobahn and other Infra is important about several important Things, which hanging on them (like more Ressources, faster buildup etc.).

What the Railroads belongs, they are important for the Supply-Support (Military Operations, Agency Operations etc.).

The Großraumwirtschaft is more for later on, when you expand to the East (Poland, Estonia, Lativia to Russia etc.) and South (Yougoslawia, Greece etc.).

The first thing I do in the 3 Years and 8 Month is to expand my Infra, Railroads, Fuel-Tanks, Factorys (12 to 15 Synth., Civilian and Military) and where are Fuel-Tanks and Synths the maximum big AAA.

Where I give you all right is that the Eastern Part (Prussia) from Germany have a weak Infra & Industry. That´s the first section I build up with maximum Power to give an Ballance there to the Western, Southern and Middle Part of Germany.

Can a trainexpert or nerd ecplaine me for what need a train wind deflectors?
Not a 'train expert' but I suspect it was to keep wind from sucking too much heat out of the boiler. Definitely would hurt efficiency out there on the steppes where the wind feels like it's coming from the Arctic directly.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can a trainexpert or nerd ecplaine me for what need a train wind deflectors? There was problems in the east at the winter.
I dont know what engine used, but if is coal burning, the main enemy of coal burning is a too fast wind that move away oxygen from it, more quick than it burn.

its like fan wind for barbecue LOL, its help bring oxygen heating the coal, but if u fan too fast, its move away and then coal don't heat up.

1699646276851.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
They're were not so much designed for wind as for smoke.

At high speed the smoke from the funnel doesn't go up fast enough and tended to interfere with the drivers view forwards, which on a steam loco is not so great to begin with.

The wind deflectors force the wind upwards and hence the smoke..

Reactions: