• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Unbestechlichen

Private
17 Badges
Nov 24, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I love this game and play endlessly; but I need a reliable mentor. The Wiki has too much conflicting (and just outright inaccurate) information. Is there anyone out there who really knows the rules - definitively? When I purchased HOI I, it came with a physical rule book. I have a "need" for a reliable and accurate source. Does such a thing exist? I would realyy appreciate the mentorship of a knowledgable person. English writer/speaker preferred.

A physical rule book is of no use as the game is still changing regularly, so it'd be out of date almost as soon as it was printed.
The Wiki isn't perfect by any means but it's a good start.
A good way to learn is to just play, and learn from mistakes. One thing you could do is make a save every six game months and if something happens that you wished you'd done something earlier, you could just revert back to a previous save. It can be a pain to have to restart an entire game just because you forgot to research something for example.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Welcome to the forum! To save some time, you can also practice through good HOI4 YouTubers. There are some for all styles: fantasy, historical, complete unedited playthrough, well balanced games... I definitely learnt the fun aspect of the game from them.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I'm afraid this is one of those games where you can only learn how to play by keep failing

So just game on, you will eventually hit the learning curve and that would be it

Reactions:
The Wiki has too much conflicting (and just outright inaccurate) information.
Since the wiki is a community maintained effort, feel free to point out what you think is wrong or outdated. Only that way someone (or you, if you feel able/qulified) can improve it, if there is indeed an error.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A physical rule book is of no use as the game is still changing regularly, so it'd be out of date almost as soon as it was printed.
The Wiki isn't perfect by any means but it's a good start.
A good way to learn is to just play, and learn from mistakes. One thing you could do is make a save every six game months and if something happens that you wished you'd done something earlier, you could just revert back to a previous save. It can be a pain to have to restart an entire game just because you forgot to research something for example.
Thanks. Very good suggestions!

Welcome to the forum! To save some time, you can also practice through good HOI4 YouTubers. There are some for all styles: fantasy, historical, complete unedited playthrough, well balanced games... I definitely learnt the fun aspect of the game from them.
Thank you. The You-Tubers are a colorful group. I'm never quite sure how relevant the information is because they seldom explain which version of the game they are playing. But it certainly is entertaining!

We are also here to help. Feel free to post anything your uncertain about. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you. The You-Tubers are a colorful group. I'm never quite sure how relevant the information is because they seldom explain which version of the game they are playing. But it certainly is entertaining!
I just recommend you check the video release date: if it's only a few weeks or months old, no problem. If older, you can always try to match the video date and the corresponding patch/DLC release dates...
Honestly, good YouTubers always play with latest and greatest, and I'd say basics are mostly the same since 2016. Only logistics, XP earning/army spirits have really changed the way to play, but that was implemented in NSB almost 2 years ago. BBA's changes to air waris just incremental improvement, you can go ahead.

Since the wiki is a community maintained effort, feel free to point out what you think is wrong or outdated. Only that way someone (or you, if you feel able/qulified) can improve it, if there is indeed an error.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide. In the Wiki section on Commanders it has the following:

1692527990917.png

12 divisions per general? I only notice a red indicator if the number of assigned divisions exceeds 24. It also indicates that Field Marshals have no limit to the number of divisions they can command. But I think they are limited to five generals under their command. So wouldn't there be a logical limit of five times the number of divisions that a general can command?

24 is correct for generals. 72 for garrison orders.

Edit: If you have 72 division for garrison orders, you can certainly afford to promote a defensive general and avoid the 72 limits. Though it's best to have generals under field marshals for the stat bonuses.

Last edited:
Thanks for any assistance you can provide. In the Wiki section on Commanders it has the following:

View attachment 1014463

12 divisions per general? I only notice a red indicator if the number of assigned divisions exceeds 24. It also indicates that Field Marshals have no limit to the number of divisions they can command. But I think they are limited to five generals under their command. So wouldn't there be a logical limit of five times the number of divisions that a general can command?
That is strange. A quick check of the HOI4 wiki section General shows this:
HOI4 wiki General.png

Further investigation shows that the "Army Commanders" page has been converted to a redirect to the Commander page.
HOI4 wiki Army Commander.png

This leads me to believe that you are using an outdated version of the HOI4 wiki. A quick way to access the latest HOI4 wiki is through this forum that you are posting on. Please follow these steps:

Hover your mouse pointer over the menu selection and choose "Wiki".
Paradox HOI4 Forum.png

Paradox HOI4 Forum hover.png

Then select "HOI4 Wiki".
Paradox Wikis.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
That is strange. A quick check of the HOI4 wiki section General shows this:
View attachment 1014493

Further investigation shows that the "Army Commanders" page has been converted to a redirect to the Commander page.
View attachment 1014502

This leads me to believe that you are using an outdated version of the HOI4 wiki. A quick way to access the latest HOI4 wiki is through this forum that you are posting on. Please follow these steps:

Hover your mouse pointer over the menu selection and choose "Wiki".
View attachment 1014507
View attachment 1014508

Then select "HOI4 Wiki".
View attachment 1014511
Thanks very much! I followed your instructions and came to a much "cleaner" (better organized) wiki. Access to the wiki I originally was looking at was through the "?" in the upper right hand corner of the game. I have an active subscription and play through Steam. I wonder if the problem lies therein.

Thanks again for your help.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This leads me to believe that you are using an outdated version of the HOI4 wiki.

Umm, how would this happen? It's not like the game has a cache with old wiki pages in it.

Thanks very much! I followed your instructions and came to a much "cleaner" (better organized) wiki. Access to the wiki I originally was looking at was through the "?" in the upper right hand corner of the game.

Let me look into this. That seems to be... odd behavior.

He's talking about the embedded wiki in the game. I also have a very outdated version, not sure why the PDX team embeds a wiki version at all if it's so old.
[drive]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Hearts of Iron IV\wiki

1692569976221.png

Reactions:
He's talking about the embedded wiki in the game. I also have a very outdated version, not sure why the PDX team embeds a wiki version at all if it's so old.
[drive]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Hearts of Iron IV\wiki

View attachment 1014657

Hmmm....

1692652220194.png

When I fire up the wiki from within the game, it seems updated.

Are you pressing a different button from me?

Yes, it's the internet version, so of course, aligned with the current wiki. Yet PDX decided to install a version on your disk, see my post for the path.

Aha, see I thought the game's browser was accessing the copy on the hard drive. Which, in hindsight, wouldn't make much sense.

Yeah, that's weird there's a copy on the harddrive. Is there any way in the game to access it? Every button I press in game opens the browser. But the OP mentioned pressing the ? key, but that still netted me the online version. Or does it pull up the saved version if you press ? while offline?