Laucher won't boot up the game after update (microsoft store)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DreamcastHero

Private
Apr 29, 2022
After the update got done installing, my laucher won't boot up the game. The initial laucher boots up but then just suddenly closes itself while on the "lauching game" cycle, without booting up the game and completly closing its processes. does not leave n error report or anything, just full closes itself. I bought the game from the Microsoft store.

Also experiencing this. Played the game yesterday (5/10) before the free update without issue. Today, after installing the update, the game won't launch.

I don't have mods installed.

Same issue on my end. I verified the files didn't do the trick or rebooting my PC.

Out of curiosity, I tried launching the CK3.exe file, and the game loaded. It seems the issue might be the launcher itself.

Last edited:
Just to be clear - you all see the launcher itself okay, it is only when you hit PLAY in it this happens?

And you are all on the Xbox/Gamepass edition?

Just to be clear - you all see the launcher itself okay, it is only when you hit PLAY in it this happens?

And you are all on the Xbox/Gamepass edition?
@AndrewT That's what I'm experiencing, yes.

If you hit "play" in Xbox/Gamepass, it brings up the launcher, but the launcher won't get past "launching game." The spinning loading wheel spins for a few seconds and then CK3 closes. I don't get an error code or a message. I have a shortcut on my computer for CK3 and experience the same thing. Computer reboots don't fix it.

I attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing. The screenshot shows as far as the launcher will get before it closes.

I've never had issues playing CK3 till today's update.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-11 211519.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-11 211519.png
    1,9 MB · Views: 0
Ah, so you don't in fact see our launcher.

What if you go directly to where CK3 is installed in File Explorer and double click on ck3.exe there?

Oh, I thought that was the launcher. My b.

Do you know the steps to find the CK3.exe file? I just spent a half hour and I can't find it or the steps to find it on my computer. All the blogs and Reddit threads I found assume I have a Steam account and walk me through those steps, but I don't have a Steam account.

It's saved on my computer and I launch it through Microsoft Store.

I looked for it in XboxGames file and the Program Files (x86) but was unable to find it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-11 224003.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-11 224003.png
    18,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-05-11 223924.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-11 223924.png
    50,3 KB · Views: 0
If you've had the game installed for a while, it's probably in an almost unreachable spot deep in C: that MS used to use.

Recently they've changed their mind on that and they are typically installed under C:\Xbox Games\ or D:\Xbox Apps\ . Right click on the game in your Xbox App Library and choose Manage, Files. Does it show a location there?

If not it's probably the first option above. Best to uninstall, then install again in one of those accessible locations.

If you've had the game installed for a while, it's probably in an almost unreachable spot deep in C: that MS used to use.

Recently they've changed their mind on that and they are typically installed under C:\Xbox Games\ or D:\Xbox Apps\ . Right click on the game in your Xbox App Library and choose Manage, Files. Does it show a location there?

If not it's probably the first option above. Best to uninstall, then install again in one of those accessible locations.
It just says it's on my C drive when I right click on the app as you said. So I can't find a path. I bought the game back in Fall 2021 if I remember right, so I've had it awhile.

I got an update this morning (5/12) and I was hoping that patch would fix it. But I got an error code immediately after the 5/12 update finished installing (see screenshot). The game wouldn't launch. After a few attempts, I rebooted my computer, but the game continues to do the same thing as I've been describing and won't launch. I only got the error message that one time.

Based on the error code, do you still advise I uninstall the game or something else?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-12 100609.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-12 100609.png
    684,9 KB · Views: 0
Ah, so you don't in fact see our launcher.

What if you go directly to where CK3 is installed in File Explorer and double click on ck3.exe there?

I'm in a similar situation using the Gamepass version of the game on PC. I did reinstall the game a few weeks ago, and I can launch the game via CK3.exe, but yeah, the launcher crashes without an error when at the launching game portion.

Based on the error code, do you still advise I uninstall the game or something else?
Yes, I suggest you uninstall and then install in one of those accessible locations, as I described. Then at least you can run ck3.exe if there is still a problem.

I'm in a similar situation using the Gamepass version of the game on PC. I did reinstall the game a few weeks ago, and I can launch the game via CK3.exe, but yeah, the launcher crashes without an error when at the launching game portion.
So the same as the OP's issue, but not the same as mdougla2's issue, it seems.

Your installation is in one of the accessible locations I mentioned above, is that right?

I tried reinstalling the microsoft store/ xbox version and at least for me the game is still in some very bizarre location, xbox app only shows it as being on C:, and won't let me browse the location.
I do not get any error message from xbox despite failing to launch the game if I try to do it via xbox.
After reinstalling the base game and the DLCs it seems even all DLCs have gone somewhere beyond reach, they are not in my xbox folder, even if that is where they were supposed to be installed.

I tried reinstalling the microsoft store/ xbox version and at least for me the game is still in some very bizarre location, xbox app only shows it as being on C:, and won't let me browse the location.
I do not get any error message from xbox despite failing to launch the game if I try to do it via xbox.
After reinstalling the base game and the DLCs it seems even all DLCs have gone somewhere beyond reach, they are not in my xbox folder, even if that is where they were supposed to be installed.
Do you have the Season pass? If so, I did get this from one affected Gamepass user:

In case anyone else had issues when they purchased the season pass from gamepass.
The season pass shows no downloads and the dlc by itself looks like you need to purchase it.
Click the dlc and click the purchase.
It’ll change and say you own this already.
Click the same box that now says you own this already and it’ll ask you to download it.
Do the download and boom it finally adds
You need to do it for both northern and RC downloads.

Please let us know if that helps you!

Yes, I suggest you uninstall and then install in one of those accessible locations, as I described. Then at least you can run ck3.exe if there is still a problem.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the base game and all the DLC worked for me. And thankfully, I didn't lose my saves, which I was worried about. Was able to pick up where I left off with my most recent game and play for several hours yesterday.

No, I do not have the season pass, and after uninstalling the game the dlc still showed as "owned" after which I installed them again. But the issue seems to be the main game, not dlc
I'm not sure I follow, you said before the DLC have gone! They are back now?

What's the problem with the main game now? Where did you choose to install?

I'm not sure I follow, you said before the DLC have gone! They are back now?

What's the problem with the main game now? Where did you choose to install?

Before installation I could see some DLC in the C:/ Xbox games folder, but the main game was not to be discovered anywhere in my files, and Xbox app didn´t let me browse the location, just showed it is somewhere on C:. The situation was like for mdougla2 on message #8.

After uninstalling and reinstalling the game and the DLC, I could not even see the DLC in the C:/Xbox games folder, despite Xbox claiming that was where it was installing the game and its expansions. And the game still refused to launch.

I am going to try this once more since reinstallation apparently worked for mdougla2.

I tried reinstalling and the reinstall now fails. I am getting an error code 0x80073d05 on Xbox app.
In another instance the app says that CK3 should run well on my PC and it sure did so without any bigger issues just one day before 1.9. update.