• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Constantchange

Recruit
1 Badges
Jul 30, 2022
  • Crusader Kings II
Hello. I've had an epic games copy of EU4 sitting in my library and have been trying to install it for a while. I get to the launcher just fine, but when I open the game I am simply greeted with a grey (or black, if in windowed mode) screen and the EU4 music playing in the background. I am running MacOS, and I'm quite sure my specs are sufficient. I've looked through the forums and internet and tried most tips, but no fixes have helped me.

*MacOS*
*Epic Games*
Freshly installed, never played before
Doesen't work in any of fullscreen, windowed, and borderless
Music still hearable
Attempted fresh reset to no avail
Launched the .app directly, to no avail
Refresh rate should be fine at 60
Quite sure the launcher is up to date ('22,9)
EU4 has sufficient permissions, I made sure to chmod it.

Any help is much appreciated, this is quite frustrating haha.

I take it the game has never run okay on this machine? What if you start it from eu4.app directly in Finder, what happens then?

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log , exceptions.log .

And can I see a screenshot of your About This Mac overview, thanks.

Hello Andrew, thank you for your help!
It has never worked before, and as already said, launching it directly led to the same outcome. Here are the requested logs!

I could not find an exceptions.log, strangely. The Exceptions folder is empty as well.
1659165499503.png

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• settings.txt
    2 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    307 bytes · Views: 0
  • error.log
    104 bytes · Views: 0
  • system.log
    5,2 KB · Views: 0
  • error_old_old.log
    104 bytes · Views: 0
  • setup.log
    671,2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1659165907187.png
    1659165907187.png
    15,6 KB · Views: 0
FYI this game is not supported on Intel video systems on any OS. But that would normally just make the game run slow, not crash on load.

In your title you say "yet another blackscreen", but you also say the game has never run on this system. What did you mean by that?

Odd that your pdx_settings.txt (made by our launcher) says you are in borderless mode, yet settings.txt (made by our game) says fullScreen. If you delete settings.txt and try the game from the EPic play button , does it make a new settings.txt ?

If we don't get somewhere soon I'm going to suggest you seek a refund from Epic, based on the hardware issue.

Hello - “yet another blackscreen” refers to the fact that this is a very common issue in the internet. I may have tried different settings attempting to fix it. Unfortunately I cannot request a refund due to epic policies.
One question - is Stellaris plagued by the same issues and hardware incompatibilities? I’ve been thinking of getting it but this definetely is making me think twice.

Hello - “yet another blackscreen” refers to the fact that this is a very common issue in the internet.
I do virtually all the technical support for this game here and in our ticketing system. I do not see this as a common issue on any OS.

If you delete settings.txt and try the game from the EPic play button , does it make a new settings.txt ?

One question - is Stellaris plagued by the same issues and hardware incompatibilities?
If you mean is it also unsupported on Intel video systems, the answer is "yes", as it is for virtually all our games. Intel video systems are integrated, not GPUs, and are thus weak and slow compared to a dedicated GPU. However as I say i is not usual for that to cause it to crash on load.