Game crashed during Iron Man mode, unable to load save now

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jerieth

Recruit
38 Badges
Jul 9, 2022
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
Hello,

I was playing on Iron Man mode and made a lot of progress, when I turned the speed up to max and the game froze. It was late so I went to bed. The next morning I played and clicked continue and it said the save was corrupted. I tried loading another file, but it was either not mine or at a very early point. I had cloud save turned on CK3. Is there no way to retrieve my save file? I went to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games\, but all the files in there are old.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I think the file is completely gone as I tried loading another save and it was the wrong one. In the future if the game crashes during an autosave, can you keep the last autosave saved? I know it is Ironman, but a bug like this makes me lose all progress on a 100 hours of gameplay. I am sure some people could still cheese ironman if they wanted to. I am just disappointed there wasn't a backup in the case of the game crashing during autosaving or another issue. I guess in the future if this happens I should backup last_save.ck3 whenever there is a crash.

Last edited:
If the game or computer froze or crashed during the save operation, that can easily corrupt the save file it is writing, it is true.

You ought to have the last_save.ck3 from the previous session, but it's possible it didn't have time to write that either.

I had cloud save turned on CK3. Is there no way to retrieve my save file? I went to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games\, but all the files in there are old.
That folder only holds local saves, not cloud ones. They should be visible here: