• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK Console DD #1: Vision and Goals!

Howdy all!

Community Manager Sonic Pariah here to inform you of some really cool news from the Crusader Kings team.

While the entire Stockholm team is hard at work with Royal Court and making sure all the feedback, suggestions, and details are ironed out (specifically Patch 1.5.1 coming Soon™), we have had another team over at Lab42 doing what they do best:
BRINGING CRUSADER KINGS TO XBOX X AND S AS WELL AS PLAYSTATION 5!

Working with Paradox and Lab42 on the joint vision for an adaptation, and not just a port, of Crusader Kings III to consoles has been challenging and rewarding for everyone involved. The base vision was to bring the highly regarded Crusader Kings franchise to a new console audience, bringing enjoyment to as many people as possible.

The Lab42 team has taken a flexible approach to development – responding to Paradox expertise and user testing & feedback, which has helped shape the development priorities throughout the adaptation. This approach will continue post launch, where Lab42 will continue to be flexible to allow consumer feedback to shape the flow of updates, patches and new features.

While it wasn’t an easy task to bring everything to life on consoles, it was definitely fulfilling and highly satisfying to see once the first versions came to life. While work and progress is still being made on the console version, it is a process and still being worked on diligently by the Lab42 team. Certain features were easily adapted for the console setup while others needed to be completely reimagined from the ground up. As you can imagine, this requires quite a resourceful and dedicated team, and we are confident that the Lab42 Team have it well in hand!

While the teams are hard at work on their respective projects, we will be more than happy to keep you up to date on news and any possible dates as they become available. In the meantime, please enjoy Royal Court and will have more info for you in the weeks to come!

Cheers,

-SP

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 27Like
  • 9Haha
Reactions:
I cannot imagine a world where I would play this sort of game on a console, but if people buy it and it funds further development, I guess I can't complain. Looks like a miserable experience for the player, though.

• 6Haha
Reactions:
I cannot imagine a world where I would play this sort of game on a console, but if people buy it and it funds further development, I guess I can't complain. Looks like a miserable experience for the player, though.
Idk how you came up with that conclusion i think it'll Be a great game to play on console. The previews of the UI looks great and Easy to get used to.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I get that people want more news about updates and bugfixes and stuff for Royal Court and the accompanying base game update, but didn't Paradox explicitly say last week that we shouldn't except another dev diary until mid-march?

In that context, I really don't get why this dev diary was so poorly received. Like, no, it doesn't tell us anything about PC CK3. But, we've previously been explicitly told not to expect anything about that yet. If anything, I'm positively surprised there was anything at all this Tuesday, even if it wasn't of interest for me.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I get that people want more news about updates and bugfixes and stuff for Royal Court and the accompanying base game update, but didn't Paradox explicitly say last week that we shouldn't except another dev diary until mid-march?

In that context, I really don't get why this dev diary was so poorly received. Like, no, it doesn't tell us anything about PC CK3. But, we've previously been explicitly told not to expect anything about that yet. If anything, I'm positively surprised there was anything at all this Tuesday, even if it wasn't of interest for me.
I just don't get why put the energy into a CK3 console version, that is my beef.

Reactions:
I think it would help if they'd at least summarize what's going on. Comparing to another Paradox team, the Stellaris crew is ready on day two after a release with "here's how the launch went, here are some major fixes or things we're looking at for our next bugfix patch".

Right now nobody has any idea on what they're working on with RC. There's only so much time before the patch. Are they working on game-breaking bugs only? Are they fine with how courts are balanced or do they think they need adjustments? Are there other systems that aren't working as expected?

Regardless, that's all unrelated to the console team.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I understand Paradox wasn't going to do a dev diary until mid-March, but I can't tell you how immensely happy I was to see a new dev diary, only to discover it's for the console only. My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.

That's fine though, I'll just use this Councillors fix mod a little longer... I'll be fine...

Last edited:
  • 8Haha
Reactions:
I think it would help if they'd at least summarize what's going on. Comparing to another Paradox team, the Stellaris crew is ready on day two after a release with "here's how the launch went, here are some major fixes or things we're looking at for our next bugfix patch".

Right now nobody has any idea on what they're working on with RC. There's only so much time before the patch. Are they working on game-breaking bugs only? Are they fine with how courts are balanced or do they think they need adjustments? Are there other systems that aren't working as expected?

Regardless, that's all unrelated to the console team.
We are trying to push a more meaningful Update 1.5.1 with a lot of fixes & improvements; Thus, the delay in releasing it.
I hope that you will be happy with the next build! Thanks for your patience :)

id assume "improvements" would include rebalance and other changes besides bug fixes.

Reactions:
Will the console version only be on Xbox X/S and PS5? Not PS4?

I was probably one of the few considering buying this for a friend who only plays games on his PS4, but PS5's are extremely difficult to get where I am...

Reactions:
I just don't get why put the energy into a CK3 console version, that is my beef.
Because they are outsourcing it like most ports. Lab42 is probably doing all of the work to port the game over and I image Paradox is mostly providing technical support and whatnot. And, no, the budget used to port CK3 was never realistically going to be spent on the CK3 itself because the reason why you do a port is to reach a new audience and expand your playerbase, which spending more on CK3 isn't going to do.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Will the console version only be on Xbox X/S and PS5? Not PS4?
That is exactly what the post indicates.

And it makes a lot of sense.

Paradox games are CPU intensive, and the PS5 and XB S/X have much better CPUs than the PS4.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Howdy all!

Community Manager Sonic Pariah here to inform you of some really cool news from the Crusader Kings team.

While the entire Stockholm team is hard at work with Royal Court and making sure all the feedback, suggestions, and details are ironed out (specifically Patch 1.5.1 coming Soon™), we have had another team over at Lab42 doing what they do best:
BRINGING CRUSADER KINGS TO XBOX X AND S AS WELL AS PLAYSTATION 5!

Working with Paradox and Lab42 on the joint vision for an adaptation, and not just a port, of Crusader Kings III to consoles has been challenging and rewarding for everyone involved. The base vision was to bring the highly regarded Crusader Kings franchise to a new console audience, bringing enjoyment to as many people as possible.

The Lab42 team has taken a flexible approach to development – responding to Paradox expertise and user testing & feedback, which has helped shape the development priorities throughout the adaptation. This approach will continue post launch, where Lab42 will continue to be flexible to allow consumer feedback to shape the flow of updates, patches and new features.

While it wasn’t an easy task to bring everything to life on consoles, it was definitely fulfilling and highly satisfying to see once the first versions came to life. While work and progress is still being made on the console version, it is a process and still being worked on diligently by the Lab42 team. Certain features were easily adapted for the console setup while others needed to be completely reimagined from the ground up. As you can imagine, this requires quite a resourceful and dedicated team, and we are confident that the Lab42 Team have it well in hand!

While the teams are hard at work on their respective projects, we will be more than happy to keep you up to date on news and any possible dates as they become available. In the meantime, please enjoy Royal Court and will have more info for you in the weeks to come!

Cheers,

-SP

i hope the people Crying about Royal court issues realize this was just a post telling console players more news was coming and furthermore that the CK3 Dev team only have a small Role in the console port. So Crying isn't gonna help you at all. Being rude and disrespectful to staff and Future console Players wont do anyone any good.

• 2Like
Reactions:
i hope the people Crying about Royal court issues realize this was just a post telling console players more news was coming and furthermore that the CK3 Dev team only have a small Role in the console port. So Crying isn't gonna help you at all. Being rude and disrespectful to staff and Future console Players wont do anyone any good.
I'm not a paradox simp by any means, and usually every thread that's controversial has a few people who just don't get how things work, but the fact this thread is even controversial is wild. A port team announced they're making a port. What did the port team do to earn the backlash? It was already said there wouldn't be a DD today so that's not a good reason.

• 2Like
Reactions:
amazing news! Hopefully you can eventually add the option for Gamepad UI on PC too, since we already have the Steam Deck and it could really use a Gamepad UI.

Regardless, I've been using my own Steam Input config with a Steam Controller for more than a year without a single issue or problem! Much better than playing with M&K IMHO.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I just love playing while laying on the couch. I’ll put the small amount of work into learning a controller UI because it will enable significantly more laziness in the future.

I'm not a paradox simp by any means, and usually every thread that's controversial has a few people who just don't get how things work, but the fact this thread is even controversial is wild. A port team announced they're making a port. What did the port team do to earn the backlash? It was already said there wouldn't be a DD today so that's not a go

I'm not a paradox simp by any means, and usually every thread that's controversial has a few people who just don't get how things work, but the fact this thread is even controversial is wild. A port team announced they're making a port. What did the port team do to earn the backlash? It was already said there wouldn't be a DD today so that's not a good reason.
The port team didn't do anything at all the people mad and distraught about the current state of royal court. Don't realize that ck3 dev's only played a minor part in Development in the console port It was actually Lab42. They think crusader kings worked on the port. Which is wrong and PC master race people Complaining that a port exists in the first place.

Reactions: