• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ZBeats

Recruit
2 Badges
Feb 7, 2022
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
Hi, with my Steam CK3 game, the launcher fails constantly. My Steam games are installed on the D: drive not C:

Starting Launcher interdependently will tell me that no games are installed, and attempting to point it towards the D: Steam installation fails.

To test this I installed CK3 from the Launcher onto C: (which I did not wish to do as I have space issues and this also takes it outside of the Steam collection), the launcher was able to run the game, the steam GUI still fails.

Is there a way to amend the path that Launcher uses to look for games?

Thanks

Don't start the launcher independently. That is intended for non-Steam users.

Where the game and launcher are installed are independent. My Steam is on D: and launcher on C: and it works just fine.

Please try this:

- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- exit the Steam app entirely
- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

Where the game and launcher are installed are independent. My Steam is on D: and launcher on C: and it works just fine.

Please try this:

- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

Please attach them here.
Yes, I'm aware that using the Launcher interdependently was intended for non Steam users, I was testing it as the Steam Gui calls for it.

"Where the game and launcher are installed are independent. My Steam is on D: and launcher on C: and it works just fine."

Well, no it doesn't as the number of complaints regarding it indicate.

'- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam'

Yes, I've tried those options as I've googled this many times.

Can you confirm, if the Launcher cannot find the installed game then the Steam Gui, which calls for the Launcher, will not work?

Thanks

"Where the game and launcher are installed are independent. My Steam is on D: and launcher on C: and it works just fine."

Well, no it doesn't as the number of complaints regarding it indicate.
I was saying it works fine for me. Are you saying I'm wrong about that? o_O

Can you confirm, if the Launcher cannot find the installed game then the Steam Gui, which calls for the Launcher, will not work?
Not really, no. Given that the launcher is run by Steam from the game's installation folder in Steam (dowser.exe there), the launcher not finding the game cannot be the cause of your issue.

What launcher version do you see? 2022.2 is current.

In this folder are some .log files:
Please attach them here.

I was saying it works fine for me. Are you saying I'm wrong about that? o_O

Not really, no. Given that the launcher is run by Steam from the game's installation folder in Steam (dowser.exe there), the launcher not finding the game cannot be the cause of your issue.

What launcher version do you see? 2022.2 is current.

In this folder are some .log files:
Please attach them here.
Hi again, after numerous uninstalls and deletions I was browsing this forum and found a solution that worked for me as below

'C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2022.1/paradox launcher.exe
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/bootstrapper-v2.exe

IF that doesn't help, also set each of those .exe files (EXCEPT eu4.exe !) to run as the Windows Admin user.'

So it was applying those permissions and removing them from CK3.exe (not eu4.exe as quoted) that seemed to have done the trick. I am now happily playing CK3 Royal Court.

Thanks for you help

Please try this:

Please attach them here.

To start Steam as admin-user did the trick for me.