• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

detaal

Recruit
4 Badges
Jan 18, 2022
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Prison Architect
Description
Game crashes frequently

Windows

Steam

What is your game version?

What DLC do you have installed?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Now, it says I have a mod enabled, but that log message shows up even though I have disabled my one mod, does not show up in mod settings anymore. Anyway when the game crashes it just freezes for some seconds then closes. Reason as to why I have put two log files are, because those two are very different, one of them is also identical to: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/surviving-mars-freezes-picture-and-crashes.1190663/
I've already updated my drivers
Also put a dxdiag because I suspect its dx11 as it sometimes "can't find" the gpu

Also also, I temporarily have no audio devices so any error that relates to that should be normal

I swear this is the last also, C:S got a similar issue too, however it's like more like whack a mole with errors on that game. But when in dx9 in C:S, the gpu also gets lost by the game and a similar crash happens. I don't know if it gets lost in dx11 as it spams a similar error as the logfile that is spammed with
"Failed to create texture for file Textures/Cubemaps/TheMartian_DawnExteriorSpecular.dds (512x512 BC6UH, 10 mips)"
but its:
"d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=<width> h=<height> d3dfmt=77 [80070057]" in C:S.
I have a dx11 benchmark but it has never actually crashed, so that's something too.
My graphics card IS overclocked but I am very sure it isn't that as I can tell the difference in the way it crashes, and the similarities between C:S also makes it less likely to be it.

I lied uh, anyway also I know my page file is gigantic, but I use it for extremely modded games.

Hope this is enough (or not too much lol)

Can you replicate the issue?
Yes, by playing the game long enough

File(s) attached

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    86,9 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
And, couldn't upload the crash files because it got detected as spam (well technically yes)

Attachments

• MarsSteam.exe-20220118-20.16.04-61b24da8.txt
    25,8 KB · Views: 0
  • MarsSteam.exe-20220118-21.00.45-61b24da8.txt
    21,2 KB · Views: 0
You have a problem with your nVidia card or driver:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Kepler_UserOC, type 0
Please try this:

- uninstall that driver and all other nVidia software
- reboot
- install the 2022 one from here:
- reboot again

Now test with a new colony, not any existing one. Any better?

Its been 8 sols and no crash, however, from what I can remember it only started happening around sol 30~40 on that other save file.

But I will see what happens after some time

Well, it also finally crashed

When I reinstalled the drivers I made sure to use ddu.

Edit: It's a d3d11 error, the same as in C:S, can't find the card...

Attachments

• MarsSteam.exe-20220119-16.21.25-61b24da8.txt
    21,2 KB · Views: 0
Looks like nVidia stopped updating the driver for that card last year, that's a shame.

While I doubt it is the cause of your problem, can you do a test with a colony with no mods at all enabled?

Assuming that does not help, it looks like a Windows or nVidia hardware problem, to me. Do you have any overclocking active?

I have -noworkshop in the launch options, but is the mod still enabled?
And yes, it is a workshop mod, not one in the in game mod browser.

As for the overclock, yes but it shouldn't be causing any problems as it gets bottlenecked by the cpu in the game. Even if it would be fully utilized it almost never goes over 76°C. But i guess I could try disabling it when im home again

Last edited:
Interesting...
It doesn't crash anymore when I disable the overclock (At least for now, I'm not sure it's perfect)
That's weird because only 25% of the GPU is utilized when playing the game.
It also doesn't crash in the dx11 benchmark I have (heaven)
I have even made sure to run the benchmark for a bit of time to see if it crashed and, if so, then lowered the clock, so my games wouldn't crash

Edit: wait, something doesn't feel right, Surviving mars only uses 5% of the CPU, so the GPU isn't being bottlenecked as I thought it was

Last edited:
I have -noworkshop in the launch options, but is the mod still enabled?
This is not a Unity game, so Unity launch options like that will do nothing.

Even if it would be fully utilized it almost never goes over 76°C.
This is in the game? But it never gets to 80c or more? Because that is when problems start.

It doesn't crash anymore when I disable the overclock
What was overclocked?

1. It removed the options for the mod in game, and it's only a camera setting mod so I thought it was disabled. I guess it could've been a temporary glitch for some reason or I am just blind, because it is still there.

2. 76 is the temps when the card is fully utilized, like in a benchmark. 60 ish is in the game, so even lower.

3. The GPU; I didn't know that an overclocked GPU that is barely being used, could cause problems.
This is because it reduces its clock, from not being utilized enough (1188mhz is the normal max frequency, but when I play the game it stays at 1000mhz, also my OC is +80, so 1268)
And as soon as I enable the overclock the game crashes shortly, even though it's stable in all my other games. Whelp, Surviving mars is different I guess...

To me this does not make sense, but that's just me

If I close all programs that use some of the GPU (like steam) it does not crash either
Edit:
Interesting... doing the above, after a while, caused the same type of crash when my GPU becomes unstable because of heat, screen turns dark for a second before the game crashes.
It did not even exceed 65C when it crashed.

WAIT... the game isn't even crashing??? when I have the OC disabled and play the game for long enough, it will "crash", temps are low, but it still somehow "crashes". That's because it doesn't actually do that. The game freezes yes, keyboard does not work, can't do anything with the mouse; BUT I can still move the camera through edge scrolling, but that's all. And after a while it does crash for real and closes

The log file does not even have an error now, its just an instant crash.
Forgot to disable the mod when testing without OC, currently testing that.

(Ran the game for a while, but I'll have to continue tomorrow to see if it crashes)

Last edited:
Frankly, that's starting to sound like you have a hardware problem, most likely in the GPU!

Hello,

My game on my MAC book Pro continues to crash to no avail and no solution. Please advise.
In future please make your own thread, rather than "me too" someone else's - your issue is almost certainly different. Thanks.

Has this always happened since you've had the game? Or it was okay up to some point?

After a crash can you run the game, reload the save and carry on? Or what happens/

Please attach here the latest log from the game :

~/Library/Application Support/Surviving Mars/logs/

To find that file, in Finder do cmd-shift-G to bring up the GOTO box. In there paste ~/Library/ . You will see a /Application Support/ folder, and inside that /Surviving Mars/ and then a /logs/ folder. Please attach the latest file from in there to here by dropping it on this support ticket, or use the "Attach file" link here.

Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.

I keep having the same problem it crashes and it keeps saying something went wrong with the game or app.

Any advice?
This thread is about issues on the Steam edition, but you appear to have the PS4/5 one. Please post in the Console forums for that one, thanks.