• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

scarface2cz

Sergeant
Nov 27, 2021
Sup,

havent seen much on this. So heres some info

Meta:Heavy TDs/Super heavy TDs when possible. thats it. thats the meta. IC always wins.

more indepth-armor on early tanks DOESNT MATTER-even anti-air can pierce it, so always set it to 0 for interwar designs. also use rivets to lower cost. you should try to go for heavier guns and high breakthrough, as demonstrated in following screens.

THIS is good interwar heavy tank:
1638051513984.png

You can set this baby to be tank destroyer and have a HEAVY TANK DESTROYER BATTALION WORTH 336 IC. Is has solid breakthrough, reasonable reliability, piercing to roll over anything that your enemy uses and enough armor to help with artillery infantry at least. you can use basic heavy gun instead also, for more soft attack.
1638051718085.png

its even fairly fast.

On the other hand, this is light tank:
1638051924527.png

its dogshit, because single battalion costs 600 IC. it doesnt matter how fast your hotwheels is, if your enemy can field twice as much. but you sure can meme with it:
1638052103242.png

27.6 memes/h, before all the bonuses from doctrines and other stuff. at least this hotwheels goes fast. if my memory serves right, someone pushed the speed to about 40 or so in previous versions with all the modifiers and upgrades. so it should be able to reach some 100km/h now.

NEXT:the winner
1638052308283.png

This baby conquered whole europe for me in my second SOV run. I know i could have saved massive IC if id use SHTDs, but it felt like cheating to me.

"what about AA or artillery?"

worthless. add soft attack via heavy/super heavy guns on your TD/Tanks and add AA with MOT AA-dont even bother with making light or medium tanks, too expensive, everything you need is currently in heavy/super heavy chassis line.

keep reliability around 80 without maintenance company, around 60-70 with maintenance company depending on its level.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the quick guide. A stupid question: the reliability number has always confused me a bit. It should be self explenatory, but how does low reliability affect me in-game? What kind of on-the-field outcomes should I look out for if I mess u p reliability? Heavier casualties?

Thanks for the quick guide. A stupid question: the reliability number has always confused me a bit. It should be self explenatory, but how does low reliability affect me in-game? What kind of on-the-field outcomes should I look out for if I mess u p reliability? Heavier casualties?
reliability is a modifier on attrition. the higher reliability, the lower modifier, which will reach its minimum at 100% and over. even at 100% reliability you will still lose equipment, even at 200% or 300% reliability, it doesnt matter much. but at about 60% reliability and lower, you will notice increasingly higher numbers of lost equipment due to attrition.

So, basically "lower reliability means more attrition based casualties"

fun fact-if you boost your Fighter reliability past 100%, for example 120%, your fighters will return from KAMIKAZE missions, because loss calculation is just a reliability malus during mission.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's really horrendous how much the battalion size changes IC cost. Something is definitely horribly wrong when you can have 8kph superheavies being CHEAPER than medium while also having better stats...

• 9Like
Reactions:
Low reliability increases weather penalties and attrition, and will result in more lost equipment (high reliability lets you recover some after battle). I've been gunning for around 80% reliability in my takes as of late, but someone's liable to do the math at some point about the tradeoffs.

It's really horrendous how much the battalion size changes IC cost. Something is definitely horribly wrong when you can have 8kph superheavies being CHEAPER than medium while also having better stats...
funniest is, SHTD battalion costs about 455 IC to 490 IC. light tank battalion costs 600 for BASIC light tanks.. and thats not even the funniest thing. As imperial russia, you have -20% SH cost, along with ANOTHER -5% from merging plants and another -20 from rivet armor and you can do THIS:
1638057393953.png

36.7 production cost. that would be 256.9 IC per SHTD or 734 for SH tank battalion.

OR if your motorized need a little omph do this:
1638057444110.png

that would be 12km/h Super heavy tank. with nearly 200 armor, which would translate to like 120 armor on a division. and all that for 58 IC.

Its absolutely mad how super heavies have become total peak of armored warfare.

• 6Like
Reactions:
reliability is a modifier on attrition. the higher reliability, the lower modifier, which will reach its minimum at 100% and over. even at 100% reliability you will still lose equipment, even at 200% or 300% reliability, it doesnt matter much. but at about 60% reliability and lower, you will notice increasingly higher numbers of lost equipment due to attrition.

So, basically "lower reliability means more attrition based casualties"

fun fact-if you boost your Fighter reliability past 100%, for example 120%, your fighters will return from KAMIKAZE missions, because loss calculation is just a reliability malus during mission.

By the way, they internally capped reliability to 100% for the tank equipment (also if you have maintenance companies). A dev commented on another thread about it saying that at first in development builds it had no limits but it didn't make much sense calculation wise so they introduced the cap for live builds.

So more reliability than 100% on a tank is effectively wasted and you should always aim to have ≤ 100% reliability on your tank to make the most out of it. And ≤95%, ≤90%, ≤85%, 80% for the corresponding maintenance company levels if you intend to use them.

They kinda should put a notice of it in the tank designer somewhere, like color coding or an exclamation mark next to the reliability stat that you are wasting stats (at least once you are beyond 100%) because I doubt most people know about the cap since it is nowhere mentioned ingame.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
funniest is, SHTD battalion costs about 455 IC to 490 IC. light tank battalion costs 600 for BASIC light tanks.. and thats not even the funniest thing. As imperial russia, you have -20% SH cost, along with ANOTHER -5% from merging plants and another -20 from rivet armor and you can do THIS:View attachment 779643
36.7 production cost. that would be 256.9 IC per SHTD or 734 for SH tank battalion.

OR if your motorized need a little omph do this:
View attachment 779644

that would be 12km/h Super heavy tank. with nearly 200 armor, which would translate to like 120 armor on a division. and all that for 58 IC.

Its absolutely mad how super heavies have become total peak of armored warfare.
I would advise not using gas turbine engines in your demonstrations, those are never going to be relevant considering they're not unlocked until you have jet engines.

• 2Like
Reactions:
By the way, they internally capped reliability to 100% for the tank equipment (also if you have maintenance companies). A dev commented on another thread about it saying that at first in development builds it had no limits but it didn't make much sense calculation wise so they introduced the cap for live builds.

So more reliability than 100% on a tank is effectively wasted and you should always aim to have ≤ 100% reliability on your tank to make the most out of it. And ≤95%, ≤90%, ≤85%, 80% for the corresponding maintenance company levels if you intend to use them.

They kinda should put a notice of it in the tank designer somewhere, like color coding or an exclamation mark next to the reliability stat that you are wasting stats (at least once you are beyond 100%) because I doubt most people know about the cap since it is nowhere mentioned ingame.
Wait, I thought maintenance companies were a multiplier and not an addition? IE, 10% maint company on an 80% reliability equipment providing 88% reliability (rather than 90%)

I would advise not using gas turbine engines in your demonstrations, those are never going to be relevant considering they're not unlocked until you have jet engines.

I'll also point out that they increase fuel consumption substantially.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The amount of slots available to build Tanks is inadequate. Because you basically have to always pick certain things for your main combat Tanks (Radio and Sloped Armor). Which also makes it impossible to build historical Tanks which is really sad. I figured this was going to happen because the Ship Designer has the same problem. The special module selection is pretty good although there's a few things missing especially for the German Tanks (Zimmerit Paste/Mine Launcher/Grenade Launcher/Early Night Vision). I find it very strange to see the Devs go through the trouble to create a Vehicle Designer like this and then make it too limited to actually create historical vehicles. Doesn't really make sense and curtails the potential and immersion.

In my opinion a dedicated slot should be added for the Radio since you basically have to always use it once you unlock it. Armor Slope should also have its own dedicated slot probably. Those two things shouldn't take up special module slots.

Some other things I noticed: There's no 3D model for the Panther? Am I just missing it?

Having to choose between Torsion Bar suspension and Interleaved Roadwheels doesn't make sense to me. I know the Panther for example used both.

Shell ejection type should be a dedicated slot possibly: manual, semi-auto, or auto. The Panther had semi-auto for example.

Having Engine and Armor just be a generic number without any context and not actual Horsepower and Armor Thickness is disappointing and immersion breaking. Very strange choice. How hard can it be to add a Horsepower and Armor Thickness rating to that?

Turret Traverse should be a dedicated slot possibly: unpowered, powered. Panther turret was powered for example.

An armor type is missing I think: Forged. Part of the early Panther tanks were Forged armor I know.

When a major power like Germany researches new Tank Chassis it should unlock pre-built historical templates. Or at least provide a reference so we can easily build and use them. These kind of details matter.

• 1Like
Reactions:
When a major power like Germany researches new Tank Chassis it should unlock pre-built historical templates. Or at least provide a reference so we can easily build and use them. These kind of details matter.

I've seen pre-designed tanks pop up in my list of vehicles when playing some countries. Not all chassis unlock something, but I've seen plenty of historical vehicles flit through my list until I see fit to flag them as outdated and move on with my life.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wait, I thought maintenance companies were a multiplier and not an addition? IE, 10% maint company on an 80% reliability equipment providing 88% reliability (rather than 90%)

As I understood it is added flat ontop of what the tank equipment already has.

But I am sure someone will eventually update the Wiki and as a part of it they will probably again ask the Devs. That or just figure things out the old fashioned way... empirically. And if I am wrong then I will stand corrected.

If you are unsure then you can make designs with 90% reliability just to be sure. Not like it really matters anymore gameplay-wise at the point you have the luxury to design your tanks crappier on purpose to take advantage of the reliabillity maintaneance companies add. Usually you should have eliminated any dangerous threat from the world map by then anyway.

look at meta before NSB. heavy 3s on germans/soviets at barbarossa. they are VERY relevant. even then, you can just get gasoline engine, even if its a bit slower.

In my opinion Gas Turbines are so late in the tech-tree that they are luxury engines you throw on the tank when you already finished off all major threats.

I mean realistically who is still left that you want to conquer with such tanks? Facerolling through African or South American countries using Gas Turbines?

Last edited:
Reactions:
The amount of slots available to build Tanks is inadequate. Because you basically have to always pick certain things for your main combat Tanks (Radio and Sloped Armor). Which also makes it impossible to build historical Tanks which is really sad. I figured this was going to happen because the Ship Designer has the same problem. The special module selection is pretty good although there's a few things missing especially for the German Tanks (Zimmerit Paste/Mine Launcher/Grenade Launcher/Early Night Vision). I find it very strange to see the Devs go through the trouble to create a Vehicle Designer like this and then make it too limited to actually create historical vehicles. Doesn't really make sense and curtails the potential and immersion.

In my opinion a dedicated slot should be added for the Radio since you basically have to always use it once you unlock it. Armor Slope should also have its own dedicated slot probably. Those two things shouldn't take up special module slots.

Some other things I noticed: There's no 3D model for the Panther? Am I just missing it?

Having to choose between Torsion Bar suspension and Interleaved Roadwheels doesn't make sense to me. I know the Panther for example used both.

Shell ejection type should be a dedicated slot possibly: manual, semi-auto, or auto. The Panther had semi-auto for example.

Having Engine and Armor just be a generic number without any context and not actual Horsepower and Armor Thickness is disappointing and immersion breaking. Very strange choice. How hard can it be to add a Horsepower and Armor Thickness rating to that?

Turret Traverse should be a dedicated slot possibly: unpowered, powered. Panther turret was powered for example.

An armor type is missing I think: Forged. Part of the early Panther tanks were Forged armor I know.

To be honest I wouldn't say the number of slots is inadequate.

True if you are out to min-maxing everything then I think there are obvious choices for each slot already (mostly those modules that give +% bonus that scale with the stats present on the tank already instead of just adding flat numbers)

But there sure is a good deal of people who try to role-play things and for those other choices seem more logical, even if they sacrifice some efficiency.

In the end it's not like it really matters because if your tank is half decent it will have enough breakthrough and if you are half decent in strategy you will stomp the AI even with a more inefficient tank.

That said that's for SP. MP is a different story, but I doubt adding more slots would remove the min-maxing dilemma but instead only make it worse.

Reactions:
I've seen pre-designed tanks pop up in my list of vehicles when playing some countries. Not all chassis unlock something, but I've seen plenty of historical vehicles flit through my list until I see fit to flag them as outdated and move on with my life.

There is no need anyway (unless you're min-maxing army EXP usage), if you enter the designer and click on autodesing the feature will give the historical model available for that chassis.

• 1Like
Reactions:
look at meta before NSB. heavy 3s on germans/soviets at barbarossa. they are VERY relevant. even then, you can just get gasoline engine, even if its a bit slower.
Yes, heavy 3 by 1940 was the meta. But with the tank designer to get gas turbines good luck rushing 1943 tank chassis, 1943 AT guns, AND 1943/4 rockets + jet engines all by 1940 without neglecting something important.

That was my point. Just use gas engines.

In my opinion Gas Turbines are so late in the tech-tree that they are luxury engines you throw on the tank when you already finished off all major threats.

I mean realistically who is still left that you want to conquer with such tanks? Facerolling through African or South American countries using Gas Turbines?
As soviets especially, who enter war in 1941, gas turbines are finished at the time when they can start advancing against germans. IF you dont do some early war memery of course and try to be "historical", you can get gas turbines for 1943 offensives. and since refurbishing of outdated tanks is so fast, its not unreasonable to be able to outfit battalion or two of tanks with turbines per day.

There is no need anyway (unless you're min-maxing army EXP usage), if you enter the designer and click on autodesing the feature will give the historical model available for that chassis.

I probably should have looked at those buttons.

1638199824211.png

• 5Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions: