• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's not too late to reduce the number of provinces/tags in North America, Australia and NZ, NA (modern day USA/Canada) has almost 400 provinces and 94 tags (in comparison South America has less than 250 provinces), Australia and NZ have 55 provinces and 20 tags, just saying.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That's a misconception on the player part. All "AI Improvement" mod on the workshop does not actually improve the AI. It's just a set of hidden buff and outright cheat that allow the AI to keep up, because there is no way for a modder to make the AI more competent at using vanilla systems.
Actually there are AI behaviours you can mod, for example you can change which buildings the AI prioritizes or which idea groups they pick. Some AI mods basically make the AI play more meta.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If we're removing provinces, I propose inner Congo and the lakes region.

I want them to be removed not because I don't find playing in such a remote and unique region interesting.
I want them to be removed because seeing Spain/France/GB/Portugal go absolute Victoria on the whole place is not a fun sight.

Ekran Resmi 2021-09-16 13.28.33.png
Ekran Resmi 2021-09-16 13.27.42.png

Malaria shmaria amirite fellas?

Last edited:
  • 12Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
If we're removing provinces, I propose inner Congo and the lakes region.

I don't want them to be removed not because I don't find playing in such a remote and unique region interesting.
I want them to be removed because seeing Spain/France/GB/Portugal go absolute Victoria on the whole place is not a fun sight.

View attachment 757041View attachment 757040

Malaria shmaria amirite fellas?
tbh, a lot of those interior provinces could be done away with without even removing any tags. Colonizers showing up there results in some really ugly nonsensical borders too.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Can I ask where this issue in Eu4 lies with, as Hearts of Iron and CK3 can handle over 10.000 provinces each?
New engine= more efficient and a new improved code rather than a mountain of cluster mechanics and calculations already made in an old engine through many years. That assumption looked kind of populist to me...

Reactions:
@Johan

For South America, a compromise can be achieved. Delete some of the provinces in Chile, Peru, and Colombia and make a large Andes Mountain Range impassible province. The extra provinces can be distributed to South Africa, Brazil, and the Baltics. These should be around 25 recycled provinces. Some Canadian provinces could be consolidated and be used in Central Asia and Ukraine.
If the devs had to transfer provinces from continents, these should be transferred from North America and not from South America.

• 8Like
Reactions:
New engine= more efficient and a new improved code rather than a mountain of cluster mechanics and calculations already made in an old engine through many years. That assumption looked kind of populist to me...
Hearts of Iron 4 and Crusader King 3 generally use the same engine, this is Clausewitz Engine.

Hearts of Iron 4 is a more updated version of the EU4 one, Ck3 uses a mix between Clausewitz and Jimeni.

Though from what I gather, it seems each game has its own codebase.

Given that Stellaris in just the previous update got a whole update to it's math and scripting.

There are definitely options, it depends on if its worth it for EU4.

This is why i asked for more details on what Eu4 is suffering from.

Reactions:
Hearts of Iron 4 and Crusader King 3 generally use the same engine, this is Clausewitz Engine.

Hearts of Iron 4 is a more updated version of the EU4 one, Ck3 uses a mix between Clausewitz and Jimeni.
Yes and nop. Imperator Rome and CK3 use an upgrade of the CE, more powerful and optimised.
HOI4 is a different matter, the devs never add the provinces, not of the same amount as EU4. What you might have in mind are the little squares where the troops move or one built forts. Manpower, industry and what you conquer take are the provinces. They are the same level of size that a state in EU4.

To imply that developers don't improve performance or add new mechanics because "they're lazy, don't know or don't want to, or have the time", seems out of place to me.

Stellaris have a problem with performance in late-game too, besides, the "provinces" (planets) of Stellaris arent bigger or more than in EU4.

Reactions:
To imply that developers don't improve performance or add new mechanics because "they're lazy, don't know or don't want to, or have the time", seems out of place to me
I never said or implied this, i merely wanted to know if there were options to improve the performance.

The reality is that if this is holding back vanilla, it also holds back modders like myself.

HOI4 is a different matter, the devs never add the provinces, not of the same amount as EU4. What you might have in mind are the little squares where the troops move or one built forts. Manpower, industry and what you conquer take are the provinces. They are the same level of size that a state in EU4.
Every game has its own way it implements its different elements.

But the reality is that on a map basis, provinces are provinces are provinces.

Ck2 made counties out of these
Ck3 makes baronies out of provinces
Eu4 and viccy2 make provinces from the provinces
And Hoi4 merely uses them as a small tile,

But they are still provinces, they still have a province id and are assigned to larger things such as states and areas.

Of course there are differences in how calculations are made from the basis,

But then eu4 could also benefit from similar improvements that other pdx games use.

If too much calculations are done on province level, then eu4 could move them to area calculations, like hoi4

Last edited:
Reactions:
Multiple Pass AlreadyAll of the world have had at least 1 major pass at map updates post release, and while some places could be better, that will always be the case, as each year we get better and better at improving the map. We have plans to add content and flavor to at least three more major regions of the world, but if we keep adding to the map, we'll create a bigger and bigger imbalance.
Multiple Passes? South America and Sub Saharan Africa had ONE major pass. Last time The Horn, Central and Southern Africa had a major pass was 1.16 back in 2016 with Mare Nostrum, and it has been longer with Western Africa not seeing changes since Art of War and 1.8 WHICH WAS BACK IN 2014! South America had a major pass also with 1.8 and Art of War. That's 7 years of almost no new provinces or tags for an entire continent (some new provinces were added to the Colombia region in 2018 with 1.28 and Golden Century, but only 3 new tags in 1444 since Art of War). New provinces and tags ARE content and flavor. Most of the imbalances seem to be from either new mechanics (Concentrate Dev, Pillage Capital), or mission tree/event rewards (why was the "Influx of Mali Gold" event from last week a good idea to begin with?).
Save-game compatibility. This is a fairly big complaint we get at every update, how people's games and campaigns get ruined. This is a significant cost, and a major factor in people leaving eu4, due to their campaigns permanently destroyed.
If people are worried about losing their saves they can just revert to the previous patch, there are guides to do so, and its not like they are not warned ahead of time that the new patch will break their saves. In fact, its common knowledge that most new patches break saves, regardless of whether new provinces are added or not, so its their own damn fault for losing their saves.
Performance . Each province that is added, adds several NxN factors to a lot of calculations, and after 8 years of optimization of the game, there is simply no way to add more provinces without permanently hurting performance. Leviathan already took us past the point of no return when it comes to performance. In hindsight, we should have kept as maximum province count at <3000, and made it more even around the world, and kept adjusting borders of them.
Most of the performance issues that I experienced (minus any issues from having a 3/4 year old laptop) are from the number of tags, plus their armies and navies, that are involved in a war. So the League War or a war against all electors and the emperor to dismantle the HRE are the biggest hits to my performance, there was also the global coalition against Vijayanagar in the early days of 1.31 but that is mostly resolved. The late game performance is 50/50 for me, depends what the AI has been doing when I'm not involved.
CK2 had content and updates released for almost 7 years after its launch.
With issues still unresolved. 3 off the top of my head are:
1. Depending on how you reform a pagan religion, instead of mentioning just one god in a event, nickname, or artifact, it mentions the entire pantheon.
2. Over 100 years of hell for Britain and Ireland after the Viking Age starts because of how powerful the Norse become (I guess it's technically historical).
3. Umayyads and Abbasids being super blobs because of decadence not increasing fast enough and they are able to reduce it super easily.
Enough of that though, this is the EU4 forum not the CK2 one.
Next week @Ogele will talk about the only african country that survived the Victoria time period
Ethiopia hype!
Cheers, and remember to be angry with me if you have to, not my team members!
To quote many parents, I'm not mad at you, just disappointed.

All that aside, I wish you luck in your future endeavors and may your skies be devoid of comets.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
If too much calculations are done on province level, then eu4 could move them to area calculations, like hoi4
Johan already states why that won't be possible:
I have previously mentioned why I do not want to add more major systems to EU4, as the game has grown very bloated over the last few years, and needs bugfixing, polish, balancing, AI to catch up to use the mechanics, etc..

sadly we can't do the same with "wasteland" provinces due to stupid legacy architecture that i don't dare change

And one can´t reprogram since zero a game after many years of work, content, balance and stuff. The game is old and not even modders (from all mods I ever played) are capable to run the game smooth due to the many provinces they add (this before the Leviathan update that added many more provinces). Those games you keep quoting were programmed since early to do the stuff they do, they weren't added at the last moment, and this won't be possible for a game with too many bloated mechanics. Or did you ever think how the provinces development, institution spread, sources and material raw, could make the game run smooth ever again? CK3 and CK2 are bad comparisons because they focus on a "small" part of our globe, not unlike EU, HOI and Vicky. Imperator Rome was only possible due to the new engine to allow calculations with small pops. The tiles of HOI4 don't work with pops or buildings. They only do "calculations" when they have to calculate the bonus and debuff (terrain and fortifications) that troops have when attacking/defending.

Reactions:
Given the performance issues that have plagued and now hard-ended EUIV, please please do not add pops and all their problems to EUV.
The thing that has always come across to me in technical communications from Paradox is that EU4's code is a horrible mess and things like CK3, HOI4, and Stellaris have much cleaner structure that offers more scope for efficiently parallelizing game calculations.

Some of that horrible mess is inherited directly from EU3 (like the way the game explodes in a fireball visible from space a random amount of time into your campaign if you start the game after moving the date backwards in the country select screen).

• 4Like
Reactions:
The thing that has always come across to me in technical communications from Paradox is that EU4's code is a horrible mess and things like CK3, HOI4, and Stellaris have much cleaner structure that offers more scope for efficiently parallelizing game calculations.

Some of that horrible mess is inherited directly from EU3 (like the way the game explodes in a fireball visible from space a random amount of time into your campaign if you start the game after moving the date backwards in the country select screen).
Definitely true. I just don’t want pops :(

Reactions:
For me, the map is dense enough. I don't see how adding a bunch more 1/1/1 provinces improves gameplay in any substantial way; just the shape of already existing provinces could be touched up a bit.

• 3Like
Reactions: