Critical for gameplay: Ironman mode wont autosave at all.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

thessy

Recruit
7 Badges
May 21, 2021
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
Hi yall! I have had this issue since the start of the year and I tried doing a post on the steam site, but got zero responses. So I hope someone here could lend me their big brains for this. I have played this game almost 300 hours now but mostly without ironman mode activated because i mainly played with my friends. If we did play ironman mode it was no problem for my game to autosave as well. I have already tried uninstalling it properly twice too, but to no prevail.

The information i can give;
  1. When playing a game without ironman + achivements, everything is saving as it should with 3/4 autosaves, each from a year apart.
  2. When playing with ironman mode and achivements, its very clear to me when it saves because the games stops for a second with a little box saying "autosaving...". However, when I go back to the main menu and look up the saves, nothing is there. This happens no matter the time difference I choose for autosaves in the settings.
  3. When there is no files or autosaves located where it should be, if im supposed to be able to save my game I have to manually ALWAYS go back to the main menu every now and then for my game to save itself. That is the only way I can save my game in ironman mode apperantly. But even then, if I wanted to go back to my previous save by exiting the game, it would save over that save. Even if I force close the game.
  4. Taking on or off Cloud save did nothing. It just gives the same result.
Compared to a game without ironmode on, you could always save the game whenever you wanted. I really need that button rn :rolleyes:
Please let me know if you guys have any idea how to fix this. It really ruins the whole game experience.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Does it make any difference if you start that ironman game as cloud or local?

It is hard to see how being in Ironman makes any difference to the save process - the saves it does are the equivalent of a user doing a manual save in a non-Ironman game.

How about the last_save.ck3 file in Documents/paradox interactive/ck3/ - is it updated when you exit the game?

It is hard to see how being in Ironman makes any difference to the save process - the saves it does are the equivalent of a user doing a manual save in a non-Ironman game.

How about the last_save.ck3 file in Documents/paradox interactive/ck3/ - is it updated when you exit the game?
Hi! Yes! Very weird indeed. The last_save.ck3 file gets updated after i save the game by exiting the game/going to the main menu. I copy this into the save games map after playing, so i have something to go back to if i want to do it differently. Since it doesnt create autosaves automatically.

Well that's something anyway.

What antivirus app do you use?
Add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

Well that's something anyway.

What antivirus app do you use?
Add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
Windows Defender is also allowing CK3. It stands as checked anyway.
Here is a video i posted to show my situation. The video is not edited in any way. I show how it autosaves without ironman mode on, and the other time with it. I only posted for the purpose that it maybe could help me and you guys in some way:

Windows Defender is also allowing CK3. It stands as checked anyway.
Do you mind if I see a screenshot of that? Thanks!

Are you aware that Ironman mode does not do autosaves as such? What it does is overwrite the save file name that you gave it when you started the campaign. It does that on significant events in the game such as declaring war, ruler death, etc. So you cannot expect a literal 'autosave' file to be there, only the campaign save file. All our games are like this.