• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ostkiz

Recruit
23 Badges
Jun 7, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
I bought the game days ago and is impossible for me to play more than 5 min whitout crash.

Windows and Nvidia are updated, I uninstall and remove a few times ( I remove also folders in steam and my documents , verified as i saw in this forum etc...) .

This is the only game where i have this kind of problems.

Thanks

PD: I just saw some people having same problem as me, and some of them have alienware too, i don't know if this could be related

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    170,1 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    3,3 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    864 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Do these crashes force a restart of your computer? Because I see several LiveKernelEvent in that dxdiag, which normally means a forced restart of some sort. Or is that a separate issue you are having with this machine?

Anything in error.log?

Do these crashes force a restart of your computer? Because I see several LiveKernelEvent in that dxdiag, which normally means a forced restart of some sort. Or is that a separate issue you are having with this machine?

Anything in error.log?
The crashes doesn't affect windows , the game just crash randomly whitout reason.

Attachments

• error.log
    523,2 KB · Views: 0
That log looks very much like a corrupted installation, unless you are using mods that have a problem.

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new campaign, NOT with any existing one

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That log looks very much like a corrupted installation, unless you are using mods that have a problem.

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3 folders
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new campaign, NOT with any existing one

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.
I did days ago, and today too, the crashes still in the game

Is this when playing a campaign that has never had any mods used in it?

I see you have our similar games HOI4, EU4 and Stellaris - do that play okay on this machine?

Is this when playing a campaign that has never had any mods used in it?

I see you have our similar games HOI4, EU4 and Stellaris - do that play okay on this machine?
I just bought the game , zero mods.

I play a lot of paradox games whitout any problem, its just with this one , and the game run fluid until the crush appears so no idea what is happening.

A major patch 1.4 just came out, so please do a new clean reinstall as per post #4 above, and test with a new campaign - any better?

We are just not seeing this as a general problem with this game, not sure why you are having such trouble.

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log , exceptions.log

I've seen several complaints about a problem similar to this. Personally I'm on Linux using AMD graphics and I've had this problem for awhile now also. Thought it was a bad install, temperature, etc but all solutions were moot. Sometimes I can play for hours, or sometimes minutes as it seems random. Crashed today after I opened a NPCs portrait to interact with him in the very early game.

Very strange bug which seems hard to find, other paradox games run fine as well so it's a shame the game I like the most is the only one that crashes.

Besides this forum I've seen some issues on the subreddit as well so I feel like this issue may be under-reported? Interestingly enough when I ran this game on windows 10 with the same specs it did not crash at all so I suspect there is some issue with the drivers rather than the alienware hardware.

I've seen several complaints about a problem similar to this. Personally I'm on Linux using AMD graphics and I've had this problem for awhile now also. Thought it was a bad install, temperature, etc but all solutions were moot. Sometimes I can play for hours, or sometimes minutes as it seems random. Crashed today after I opened a NPCs portrait to interact with him in the very early game.

Very strange bug which seems hard to find, other paradox games run fine as well so it's a shame the game I like the most is the only one that crashes.

Besides this forum I've seen some issues on the subreddit as well so I feel like this issue may be under-reported? Interestingly enough when I ran this game on windows 10 with the same specs it did not crash at all so I suspect there is some issue with the drivers rather than the alienware hardware.
I'm happy to help with your problem, but given it's a different OS please start your own thread and we'll see what can be done for you.

I am also having similar issues to OP. I can't even pin down any recurring issue why, but inevitably the game crashes in some way. Occasionally they lock up and my PC makes a strange noise after something has happened. I have played a lot of Paradox games including a lot of Stellaris recently and this is the only one I have issues with. I can definitively say that I did not have this issue at launch and I believe most came after the Norse expansion. Please let me know what I can send you or attach for help. I am at my wits end with this. I have done complete reinstalls of the entire game and still it returns. I also have Alienware.

Attachments

• error.log
    95,3 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    862 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    3,4 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    87 KB · Views: 0
I see you got some bluescreens, including this very worrying one:
Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket CORRUPT_MODULELIST_CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Are these associated with the game crash problem yu mention, or something else?

Either way according to this is is either a driver or hardware fault:

i also see your nVidia driver is outdated so let's do clean reinstall of that and the game:

- uninstall the nVidia driver and all other nVidia software
- reboot
- install the June 2021 driver from here:
- reboot again

THEN please do a full **clean** re-install:

- start the game with no mods active and test

If you still get this problem after that please attach new copies of all those files, thanks.

I carried out your instructions and I still got a crash, though it seemed to go better for a while before then. I will test some more, but detail the crash. I tried to space bar pause the game from speed 4. The game stopped on January 4th, but the color of the dates did not change to red like normal. No attempts to unpause the game with space bar had any effect. I could however pull up the menu with escape and tried to save the game. The wheel started spinning, but it locked up. To clear the lock up, I went to force close CKIII with Ctrl Alt Del. It closes all of the Mbs, but the CKIII is still on my programs list with 0 MBs and steam still shows it as running. There is a stop button on Steam for CKIII though there are no visible aspects of the program. Because this was also not functioning, I went to restart and it gave me and when I went to do this it blue screen crashed the computer as it started to restart. This is one of the types of crash I have seen before, but I don't know if the game dat was the same day and month.

Attachments

• error.log
    244,9 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
  • pdx_settings.txt
  • DxDiag.txt
    89,9 KB · Views: 0
I carried out your instructions and I still got a crash, though it seemed to go better for a while before then. I will test some more, but detail the crash. I tried to space bar pause the game from speed 4. The game stopped on January 4th, but the color of the dates did not change to red like normal. No attempts to unpause the game with space bar had any effect. I could however pull up the menu with escape and tried to save the game. The wheel started spinning, but it locked up. To clear the lock up, I went to force close CKIII with Ctrl Alt Del. It closes all of the Mbs, but the CKIII is still on my programs list with 0 MBs and steam still shows it as running. There is a stop button on Steam for CKIII though there are no visible aspects of the program. Because this was also not functioning, I went to restart and it gave me and when I went to do this it blue screen crashed the computer as it started to restart. This is one of the types of crash I have seen before, but I don't know if the game dat was the same day and month.
Looking messy still. I got another similar freeze. This time I don't believe I hit pause just moused over the mercenaries expiring soon icon. I believe it was in July. I was Ironman this time so I just went to exit to desk top and it bluescreened me. I believe it said something like Whea. I was too slow at taking a picture.

Attachments

• error.log
    96,6 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
  • pdx_settings.txt
  • DxDiag.txt
    91,1 KB · Views: 0
I'm afraid this is pretty clearly a hardware fault, most likely a CPU or memory stick:

Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket 0x124_0_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_Mae_BANK4_MSCOD0080_MCACOD0400_AR_PCC_UC_IMAGE_GenuineIntel.sys, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
You could try a clean wipe and reinstall of Windows, but I think a trip to the hardware shop is likely to be necessary.

Sorry that's happened to you!