• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HamTray

Sir Ham Tray
46 Badges
Dec 7, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
I tried to fire up EU4 on my mac (OS=High Sierra) for the first time in years and it crashed immediately. No report or anything. I press play in my steam library and then I select "play europa universalis iv" then I see the little paradox launcher start bobbing around down at the dock but then it goes away and I am left with great agony. Any fixes for this? I tried looking it up online and I couldn't find any direct answers to this problem. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

So you never see our launcher at all, is that right? If so Please delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/ . Then run the game from the PLAY Button in Steam, to reinstall the launcher.

If that does not get the launcher running, we will need these files from that same folder:

Attach ALL .log files Found here ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/

So you never see our launcher at all, is that right? If so Please delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/ . Then run the game from the PLAY Button in Steam, to reinstall the launcher.

If that does not get the launcher running, we will need these files from that same folder:

Attach ALL .log files Found here ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
I don't see the launcher window, just the application bubble in the dock. It looks like it might load, but doesn't. I'll try your solution in any case and let you know what I find! Thank you!

Hello again! So it did not launch again. I have attached the only file that was in the /Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/ folder. This file was found in /logs in case you need that info!

Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• launcher-dowser.log
    446 bytes · Views: 0
Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2021.5-mac-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then please repeat the launcher reinstall procedure (ie deleting that folder) from before.

Good luck with that!

Hi there, did it work at the end?

I have a similar problem with the same OS (the launcher isn't showing at all tho). I've tried all the procedures mentioned on top and nothing worked.

Is there any further possibility to fix this problem? Would really appreciate to be able to play EU4 again!

Note: the game starts and works while bypassing the launcher in the game's files - but no extensions are activated (even tho they are highlighted in the menu of the game when you start a new campaign)

Thanks in advance.

Please Attach ALL .log files Found here ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/ , thanks.

Attached a files with the logs - in the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/

There were two loose logs (launcher-bootstrapper + launcher-dowser) and a log file.

Note: if I just launch the bootstrapper-v2 in ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ something is happening, I can see the launcher but there is a general error and this message is showing:

{ “configPath “ : “ ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-settings.json “ }

A screenshot attached.

Attachments

• logs files.zip
    171,2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 11.22.21.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 11.22.21.png
    479,2 KB · Views: 0
Note: if I just launch the bootstrapper-v2 in ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ something is happening, I can see the launcher but there is a general error and this message is showing:

{ “configPath “ : “ ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-settings.json “ }
That is normal, the launcher is built to be only run from Steam.

I can see in those logs the launcher has not had a clean reinstall since early 2020, so Please delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/ . Then run the game from the PLAY Button in Steam, to reinstall the launcher.

I've retried and it did not work, BUT after I've reinstall the launcher directly with the launcher-installer-macos, it worked!

Thanks so much for your precious time AndrewT, and thanks HamTray for starting this thread, I actually had lost hope to play eu4 on my mac and now I can.

Have beautiful holidays ;)

Hi, i am having the same issue. I've tried all the options that were suggested here, and still no luck. However, I can open the launcher via bootstraper, just it doesn't work that way. Could you help me please ?

Attachments

• launcher-bootstrapper.log
    3,2 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-dowser.log
    630 bytes · Views: 0
In future please make a new thread rather than re-opening an old one; the launcher and game have changed a lot since 2021.

Was there no cpatch.log file in that folder?

What exactly are you seeing when you hit PLAY in Steam, any error?

Does eu4.app run from Finder okay?

In future please make a new thread rather than re-opening an old one; the launcher and game have changed a lot since 2021.

Was there no cpatch.log file in that folder?

What exactly are you seeing when you hit PLAY in Steam, any error?

Does eu4.app run from Finder okay?
Thanks for your reply. Actually the problem fixed by updating iOS to the newest version.

Thanks for your reply. Actually the problem fixed by updating iOS to the newest version.
This game does not run on any iOS device ... ?!?