• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pushka_Pushkin

Private
34 Badges
Oct 29, 2020
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
Hey-ho,
Love the game, but Cloud Save won't work.
I am playing with NVIDIA GeForce NOW (cloud gaming - GFN later) and it worked flawlessly.

BUT, starting yesterday all cloud saves that I made, playing in GFN started to vanish, once I'm relogging in.

Strange things continue, as same problem appeared on my Mac. But after I fully reinstalled stellaris - it worked back again.

But the problem wth GFN remains.

Lemme demonstrate:
I use vanila with all DLCs

Pic 1. I start the game
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 15.51.40.png

Pic 2. I Play 1 day in fully new game and it shows up in saves
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 15.54.18.png

Pic 3. I come back to the game and the save is gone (even though it was a CLOUD save).
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 15.59.59.png

Pls help

Steam cloud saves are visible here:

Can you see them there?

I am sorry, seems likeParadox stuff starts to bugg when I am around....

What the hell is this???

Hope You see my answer to your question here.
Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 13.13.46.png

Here are some photos
1: available saves in steam
Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 13.06.40.png

2: saves I made in game (and the only save that went through is the one I made on laptop - UN of Earth 2):
Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 13.09.02.png

I have the exact same issue. Im also using Stellaris via GFN and my Saves are not uploaded into the steam cloud.

The Problem seems to be the Launcher Update from Friday. On your first screenshot with the Launcher you can see an orange Dot on the Paradox Logo in the Top-Left Corner. That means there is an Update ready.

If you're using the old Launcher than your saves will not be uploaded into the cloud.

Temporary Solution:

When GFN starts up and shows the Launcher, close the Launcher with the little "x". In the Bottom-Left Corner you can see the Steam Interface minimized, maximize the Steam interface and Start Stellaris from within that. The Launcher should look quite different now.

The are still some Issues with that solution:
  • when the Launcher starts first, it might take some time until the update is loaded. You can see when its ready when the loading animation in the Top-Left corner is gone.
  • you have to do that every time you start GFN
  • This seems to work only for around 15-30 min playing. After that I noticed my saves are not uploaded anymore. This is clearly an issue with Stellaris and not GFN

Question to Paradox
WHY does your launcher needs to have its own updating feature. Why not updating it over steam?? In every Paradox game the Launcher is always an issue that makes the games unplayable. Just remove that thing, it doesn't even do anything than give me an extra button to press "PLAY"

I am sorry, seems likeParadox stuff starts to bugg when I am around....

What the hell is this???
Users with low post counts cannot include links in their posts. This is a forum anti-spam measure, not a bug of any sort.

WHY does your launcher needs to have its own updating feature. Why not updating it over steam??
Because then the launcher could only be updated when a game was updated.

2: saves I made in game (and the only save that went through is the one I made on laptop - UN of Earth 2):
I'm not sure what you are saying here .. that save in your Steam cloud page is the UN one in your game interface, is that right? Does it load okay?

Or are you saying the other two saves in the game are not in the Steam interface? If that is so they have failed to sync up to Steam which should happen when you exit the game. Do you see Steam syncing at that time?

OMG, one more time:

I have 2 options to play Stellaris - my Mac and NVIDIA GFN.

I have no problem when I play with my Mac - saves do upload to cloud

BUT when I play with NVIDIA GFN - Syncing is not happening when I exit the game.

We determined with Shinxu that it's happening due to your Launcher update. Looks like GFN didn't update the launcher, SO please fix that.

My advise would be to somehow let old launcher to upload it's saves to Cloud (as it's not happening with old Launcher).

The launcher in your OP screenshot here is on 2020.11 and has an orange dot meaning an update has been applied. If you exit and restart that launcher there it should then be updated to 2021.1 .

However the game syncing updates to the Steam cloud is nothing to do with the launcher, which at that point is completely unloaded. It is purely between the Steam client and the Steam cloud , and happens when the game is exited.

Now with GFN (which I don't have and have never seen live), what happens when you exit the game ? Are you on a desktop or do you exit the GFN session entirely? I ask because if GFN kill the session before the game can sync up the cloud saves, that would explain what you are seeing.

The launcher in your OP screenshot here is on 2020.11 and has an orange dot meaning an update has been applied. If you exit and restart that launcher there it should then be updated to 2021.1 .
So, let me explain how GFN works. As I can't put any links - feel free to Google for more info.

When I load the game in GFN, I see this:
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 02.25.39.png

As @Shinxu recommended, I waited when all mods and updates upload, then I close the Launcher and open Steam in GFN and hit Play:
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 02.25.54.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 02.26.17.png

And NOW, we can see new launcher
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 02.26.31.png

and from this point, the only problem is mentioned by @Shinxu is that
This seems to work only for around 15-30 min playing. After that I noticed my saves are not uploaded anymore. This is clearly an issue with Stellaris and not GFN
This is Question 1 - will it work? and if it's not working - why?

Question 2
However the game syncing updates to the Steam cloud is nothing to do with the launcher, which at that point is completely unloaded. It is purely between the Steam client and the Steam cloud , and happens when the game is exited.
That's clearly a false statement as me and @Shinxu have same problems AFTER Friday Launcher update. I assume that some procedure is changed, when the I quit game - sync is not stable anymore and again - it happened after launcher update. Before that I played stellaris and saved games without problems.
Now with GFN (which I don't have and have never seen live), what happens when you exit the game ? Are you on a desktop or do you exit the GFN session entirely? I ask because if GFN kill the session before the game can sync up the cloud saves, that would explain what you are seeing.
I assume that cloud machine is terminating session after I quit game in GFN, but if I start playing Stellaris right after I quit, I see this message, so I assume that they let machine to run for a while (and sync should happen then).

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 02.38.56.png

And I state one more time - it worked flawlessly before Friday, so it's clearly a problem, that's connected to Launcher update.

And I state one more time - it worked flawlessly before Friday, so it's clearly a problem, that's connected to Launcher update.
Our launcher did not get a new update on Friday. Are you theorising that it was deployed on GFN for the first time then? Mind you if so and it caused this problem to every GFN player we'd be flooded with similar complaints for every game .... !

the game syncing updates to the Steam cloud is nothing to do with the launcher, which at that point is completely unloaded.

That's clearly a false statement as me and @Shinxu have same problems AFTER Friday Launcher update.
If you don't believe me, alt tab to the desktop while playing the game and run task manager-processes. You won't see paradox launcher.exe running.

Our launcher did not get a new update on Friday. Are you theorising that it was deployed on GFN for the first time then? Mind you if so and it caused this problem to every GFN player we'd be flooded with similar complaints for every game .... !
OK, that's new info for me
If you don't believe me, alt tab to the desktop while playing the game and run task manager-processes. You won't see paradox launcher.exe running.
It's really strange you advise me that, as I've stated few times that I use Mac and this command doesn't really work when I use GFN.

It's not an issue if I trust you or not - it's an issue that the game is not saving my progress. I don't care if launcher works or not, as long as the game works properly. I had a theory about launcher and maybe it's not right but you are not even trying to explain it in your way.

Honestly, I am a little bit puzzled with your responses, as you are not trying to solve my issue - you haven't offered any actions or theories that could explain what's happening. The problem is still there and I am frustrated I can't play Stellaris (we all must agree - it's a fun game).

I am giving you as much info as possible, so you could analyse it and come up with a solution.

I reaching for some help here and I get none (I hope - yet).

@AndrewT there was not update to Stellaris or its launcher last week? Because after updating the Launcher in GFN it worked for a little while for me.

the game is quit as usual and you return to your Desktop. The session on the VM keeps running a couple seconds until syncing is done.

Not sure if its an issue with Stellaris, Steam or Geforce Now. But it would be nice if you could help us.
Also someone posted the same issue on the GFN Forums:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-01 um 17.10.28.png

@Pushka_Pushkin I know you're angry but please calm down a little. He's trying to help us the best he can :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
@AndrewT there was not update to Stellaris or its launcher last week?
The last update to Stellaris was 2.8.1 in November. The latest client 2021.1 was released on February 12. When or how such things get applied to what GFN serve up to you I do not know, I'm sorry.

@Pushka_Pushkin Does CK3 have this same problem for you?

Hm, I played few saves, looks OK with CK3
Sorry, I should have said - this was via GFN also? If so, it's hard to see why you are having such trouble with one game and not the other - you are using the same installation of the same launcher in both cases.

I just bought Stellaris yesterday and played it on GFN : SAME PROBLEM.
I can't save. And I can't keep a playset.
I Play CK3 & V3 on GFN and I have no Problem.
Solution ?

Given that we've seen no other such reports for over 2 years, it is odd to see this back again for you.

Can you contact GFN on this?

Given that we've seen no other such reports for over 2 years, it is odd to see this back again for you.

Can you contact GFN on this?
I have.
I just tried again and, hopefully, I can load saves from the Game Menu but not from the Launcher. I did only test saves, but it seems to work. I'm currently making tests to check.
The issue is now that I can't use a playset.
Could it be because there is a free play WE ?

Not impossible, I suppose - how that interacts with GFN who knows!