• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Location should have nothing to do with it. 1.8.62 was released after your initial bug report.

As for the freeze it's probably a distro or some other similar issue (like a driver or desktop issue). I've had some reports of it freezing on some Linux distros but it was reported as working on Ubuntu and Mint and some other distros.

You can play arround appSettings.json options. Some Linux options have been exposed for configuration due to many distros out there (just remember to restart Irony once you change appSettings.json). If that fails there's very little I can do for you. While Irony is available for Windows\OSX\Linux it was thoroughly tested on Windows only as the majority of user base is Windows based (~95.5%).

EDIT: Had a friend setup a VM with Solus Budgie and had it tested on about 1k conflicts he reported no freezes.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help and your fine work.

I had the time to test on Arch (ArcoLinux + Manjaro; same machine) and got no freezes, but only tested small amount of mods to merge. Then I went back to Solus with the very same results. Probably it is a memory leak at the edges, when I try to merge huge mods in numbers of ~80-120. Also my computer is a little bit older, even though it is still able to run latest games, it may also influencing stability.

However, it seems Irony Mod Manager is working for me with 1.8.62 in general, but it seems I have to find out about the limits of mod numbers and/or my computer hardware.

Well, I finished my first project and ran into an issue. Don't know where to post a question for a real project, so I make a spoiler post:

Hi there,

I'm currently working with Irony Mod Merger to merge my Stellaris collections into single mod-files.

Right with my first project Steam ironman collection I encountered that my local version is acting different than the published Steam workshop version.

In particualar, I included Dark UI - Orange gold, which isn't working for the Steam version. I solved ~100 conflicts, then I did the merging. Then I tested the local mod, which runs quite as excpected, but is different in behavior than the exact same uploaded Steam file.

Does the upload re-organize the before done load-order from IronyModManager? Did I possibly miss any typo by manually changing name?

As I currently do not know how to solve it or detect the reason for this, I would like to ask for some assistence.

The uploaded mod is currently covered, so only friends on Steam could view it, so drop me a Steam name for friend-invite and I also send you a link for the raw data/local file.

Thank you!

Thank you for the help and your fine work.

I had the time to test on Arch (ArcoLinux + Manjaro; same machine) and got no freezes, but only tested small amount of mods to merge. Then I went back to Solus with the very same results. Probably it is a memory leak at the edges, when I try to merge huge mods in numbers of ~80-120. Also my computer is a little bit older, even though it is still able to run latest games, it may also influencing stability.

However, it seems Irony Mod Manager is working for me with 1.8.62 in general, but it seems I have to find out about the limits of mod numbers and/or my computer hardware.

Yeah lack of RAM definitely explains it. Irony can be a RAM resource hog (really nothing I can control) as its usage depends on the number of mods you got installed.

Well, I finished my first project and ran into an issue. Don't know where to post a question for a real project, so I make a spoiler post:

Hi there,

I'm currently working with Irony Mod Merger to merge my Stellaris collections into single mod-files.

Right with my first project Steam ironman collection I encountered that my local version is acting different than the published Steam workshop version.

In particualar, I included Dark UI - Orange gold, which isn't working for the Steam version. I solved ~100 conflicts, then I did the merging. Then I tested the local mod, which runs quite as excpected, but is different in behavior than the exact same uploaded Steam file.

Does the upload re-organize the before done load-order from IronyModManager? Did I possibly miss any typo by manually changing name?

As I currently do not know how to solve it or detect the reason for this, I would like to ask for some assistence.

The uploaded mod is currently covered, so only friends on Steam could view it, so drop me a Steam name for friend-invite and I also send you a link for the raw data/local file.

Thank you!

Irony does not know about steam collections. You must export a mod order using the export button in Irony and upload somewhere the end product and have your friends import that file after all mods from the steam collection are downloaded.

Irony does not know about steam collections. You must export a mod order using the export button in Irony and upload somewhere the end product and have your friends import that file after all mods from the steam collection are downloaded.

I'm not sure that I understood you right. You say, a merge with IronyModManager isn't working for an uploaded mod on Steam workshop? That would be quite unpleasant. Am I really only able to use IronyModMerger for local merges, where all seperate mod files are present?

See, the Steam collection is only my filebase to collect the mods together. So far we have done it that way, because with one click all mods in it could be loaded. But it's a nighhtmare to have all players sort the mods in the Stellaris launcher. So the idea to merge all stuff together and have it all together in a single (merged) mod is really helpfull. I would like to understand, why the merged mod works locally, but not when uploaded to Steam workshop. Can you aid me there? Is there some wiki I can follow? A friend of mine is already doing it that way, but he is additionally using some third party program, that I am not able to use on Linux.

You say, a merge with IronyModManager isn't working for an uploaded mod on Steam workshop?

No it doesn't; the merged mod is a local mod not a steam mod.

What you have linked is a steam collection, a flat list of mods. So for other players to have the exact same setup as you:
1. Upload the merged mod somewhere (not on steam as that would tick of a lot of modders) and have your friends download that mod and apply it.
2. Export Irony collection using its export function. Have your friends import that collection zip (after they subscribed to your steam collection) and then have them perform the merge.

Ok, so the IronyModManager is writing something like a shedule about what mods are included, some registry to say.
But, why the uploaded and installed workshop mod, which is pretty much the same file as the local one, isn't working for me? I do have all mods availible. It seems to me as if the registry is getting lost while uploading to Steam workshop. The workshop mod can't be exactly the same as the local mod then.

Sorry, but the workaround that you provide with step #1 + #2 is way too complicated from my view. Then the old subscribe to the whole Steam collection would be easier to maintain and less steps to do. Using IronyModManager was ment to shorten things up, by doing the whole work once and then forget, not to get it even more complicated for me or the gamers, that actually all do play multiplayer on Steam.

There is a program availible that shuffles all included mods into a single mod-file, or up to 4 parts, after IronyModManager is merging the mod-file together and is working. Viewable at The Great Plan II, but I do not have the source for that program and can't use it on Linux as said before. I thought IronyModManager probably also has a built-in way to handle this.

My bad, sorry if I have adressed my ideas in the wrong direction and thank you to get me updated.

If you have both local and Workshop copy of a mod it will not load. You need to physically move local mod folder and root mod descriptor if you want to use Steam copy.

This is a "feature" of the game itself.

So, if I cut out the original mod-files inclusive descriptor from the .../Paradox/Stellaris/mod folder, then the downloaded Steam mod-file will work? Well, only if I have all mods downloaded that are actually included.

This has gone way beyond the scope of Irony discussion I suggest you go to Stellaris modding discord then and ask there. I don't think I even follow anymore what you want.

Yeah, I'll do so. Sorry for posting that request here. i wasn't sure about, where to ask for further support. However, thank you for your kind response, so I got a better view on how IronyModManager is working.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance but how people sync their MP collections is way beyond me. I don't play Stellaris and never played MP (Stellaris).

The methods that are listed are the only ones known to me. You could theoretically upload the merged mod to Steam but that violates modders etiquette in my opinion (maybe some rules as well). Many modders do not like their mods being included in any public mod pack and such. So if you're sharing such collections (such as the one you mentioned) be sure to keep it private or share it privately (ex. upload to OneDrive) or ensure you get permissions from all modders to include their mods in the steam published modpack (mega mod) or however you want to call it.

Question 1) Is this the right place to ask support questions?

If so,

2) Conflict Solver -> Mod Filter, Once I've selected a mod, I can never unselect a mod. I can select a *different* mod, but I have no way of choosing *no* mod, and thus returning to seeing all conflicts across the collection.

3) How do Ignore Rules work? Is this a way to say that entries from Mod C always override entries from mods A and B (as an example)? Does it do something else? Can you provide a code snippet showing how it works?

Question 1) Is this the right place to ask support questions?

I don't monitor the forums usually, I try to check out this thread from time to time though.

2) Conflict Solver -> Mod Filter, Once I've selected a mod, I can never unselect a mod. I can select a *different* mod, but I have no way of choosing *no* mod, and thus returning to seeing all conflicts across the collection.

Hit CTRL+A to select all mods for a shortcut (this would be the default state).

3) How do Ignore Rules work? Is this a way to say that entries from Mod C always override entries from mods A and B (as an example)? Does it do something else? Can you provide a code snippet showing how it works?

It's a bare bones gitignore like clone. You can ignore conflicts by:
- folder or by file extension
- mod name (mod filter is actually using this)
- certain definition types (like anything prefixed with a certain building name)

For some examples check out the Irony's GitHub wiki and discussions section. I cannot post direct GitHub links here (unless the forum rules have changed -- which I doubt). You'll have to google for Irony GitHub link. Or hop on to the Stellaris Modding Den discord which also has all of these links in a sticky (I think).

I'm getting a fatal error when trying to use conflict solver at step 4 (0% progress). I also can't fing teh error log anywhere.

You need a screenshot or something ?
No, I need the Irony logs. If the program is installed in Program Files look under virtualized program files directory to locate Irony logs. I think it's %appdata%\Local\VirtuslStore...

Hi there! I just started using this tool, and it's pretty neat! (and I never expected to see support for Croatian language XD )

But I have a question: when resolving conflicts, I noticed that some mods conflict with themselves, most notably "Ancient Cache of Technology". I'm curious about why this occurs (I admit I am not very experienced in Stellaris modding, though as a programmer I can easily understand the individual scripts so I am trying out my luck).

Hi there! I just started using this tool, and it's pretty neat! (and I never expected to see support for Croatian language XD )

But I have a question: when resolving conflicts, I noticed that some mods conflict with themselves, most notably "Ancient Cache of Technology". I'm curious about why this occurs (I admit I am not very experienced in Stellaris modding, though as a programmer I can easily understand the individual scripts so I am trying out my luck).

That's because you have 2 declarations of an object in the mod. Be it due:
1. An error in the mod (author copied and pasted it to multiple places )
2. Compatibility patch for some other mod (which is a legitimate use case)
Possibly other reasons which I cannot think of right now.

That's because you have 2 declarations of an object in the mod. Be it due:
1. An error in the mod (author copied and pasted it to multiple places )
2. Compatibility patch for some other mod (which is a legitimate use case)
Possibly other reasons which I cannot think of right now.

Wouldn't point 2 result in the patch conflicting with the original though (which I would expect to be WAD)?
In any case, I assume then that this isn't the way mods are supposed to be done so I'll look more into it.

Wouldn't point 2 result in the patch conflicting with the original though (which I would expect to be WAD)?
In any case, I assume then that this isn't the way mods are supposed to be done so I'll look more into it.
Scenario 2 would be an inbuilt compatibility patch. On top of my head a scenario where mod A overwrites an UI element in file file_1.gui. Which also has an inbuilt compatibility patch for mod B which overwrites the same element in zzz_file_1.gui. Check UI Overhaul Dynamic it has some of these examples I believe.

Reactions: