Alright - it is good. Still, there is a ton of obvious issues.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coodav

Banned
9 Badges
Jul 3, 2019
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
Good day,

I have now blasted out my tenth world:

World 10.png

And there are a few things which are now clear.

First, Flagship, PUT THE DAMN CARBON SWORD IN THE EMPIRE BUILD-OUT!!!!!!! You can get every other item in the game. Why NOT THAT? I feel cheated. My favorite item of all time, and no-go? Gyp.

Second, the game is way better. You can actually get into some tricky situations with a few of these options. I have only gone up to 'nightmarish' difficulty, so there may be harder, but things are looking cool. There are instances where you have to have have scouts everywhere, because all armies have universal camoflage. There are times where you can only have like 10 or 15 non-hero units. There are times where you have real food or energy limitations. Or you can't build colonizers. Anything would have been a good change, but I must say I am liking this.

The problem is that a huge number of the issues are still very present. First, the computer still has a huge problem with managing sectors. My experience is anecdotal, and the computer seems a little better with selecting specializations, but there are plenty of exceptions. Note this city I conquered:

World 10a.png

One sector matches 2/2, but the other sector is 0/2. Maybe the computer allows this type of thing if it is starved, but that type of thing really slows down the game if you are conquering them. You have a HUGE manual process in front of you if you want to make this type of city useful before the end of the game.

Which gets me to the next issue again. You STILL have a huge manual process to correct a city if there is something wrong. The old process:

1. unbuild the specialization
2. unbuild the sector exploitation
3. rebuild the sector exploitation
4. rebuild the specialization

This is all still here. You can't automated any of this, and it is as tedious as ever. EVERY step has to be done uniquely, and cannot be built in series. Terrible gameplay feel. The obvious answer is to put in a 'change' button that skips all this:

World 10c.png

Then hook it to a sector exploitation with your available sectors:

World 10b.png

You just push the button to the final thing you want, and then it just takes the turns it needs to build it. No more going back 15 times to check if you are done with A SINGLE SECTOR. How is this not in there already?

This is even made worse when you reach 20 and 24 population. To build housing in a city without housing at 20, you have to do this:

1. Release a sector, either Raze or Forward Base
2. Obtain the second sector
3. Build housing
4. Reselect the first sector
5. Rebuild the exploitation
6. Rebuild the specialization

This cannot be automated or chained. You have to go to the city every turn and do this one at a time. How does that make any sense? Obviously you need to have a "build housing" option on the sector annex window:

World 10d.png

When you select that, the sector starts being annexed, but it won't be absorbed until the housing is fully constructed. Then when it finally is absorbed, it is absorbed with housing level 1. Again, how is this not in the game already?

But there is a ton of things to like. I like starting with advancements, and having strategies for what you can build on turn 1. I like the super fast and aggressive beginnings. I like having multiple foes that aren't always conquered by the NPCs before I get to them. All of this is great.

So well done, though it would be awesome if there were some simplifications. This is actually starting to become a really interesting game. The only last thing is I wish you could pick the world options. You could have a 'heat' system to challenge yourself. Or maybe a weekly challenge? Either way, I must admit, this is progress.

City management could be improved.

I expected a somewhat more diverse post, as you do say "ton of obvious issues."

Instead you are just talking about 1 big issue (sector management) and one really minor nitpick (carbon sword) the latter of which can be pretty easily modded.

Reactions:
I just suck it up and do the hard work of manually improving the cities I conquer. This type of issue is very very old. Its been in basically all turn based strategy games. Although the AI occassionally gets the sectors right at least. From what I can see, you basically want a option to tell the city to automatically tear down a for example a research sector to build a energy sector in its spot and order it to build a specific specialization on turn 50 and then you come back on turn 60 after it's done doing everything you ordered it to in one click.

City management could be improved.

I expected a somewhat more diverse post, as you do say "ton of obvious issues."

Instead you are just talking about 1 big issue (sector management) and one really minor nitpick (carbon sword) the latter of which can be pretty easily modded.
Yeah, I was beginning to talk about the 30 glitches and errors I got, the fact that there are still mods that disappear when your units evolve, and the fact that the computer's ability to always know where all of your units are no matter what makes the game difficult, but I wanted to keep it short.

I just suck it up and do the hard work of manually improving the cities I conquer. This type of issue is very very old. Its been in basically all turn based strategy games. Although the AI occassionally gets the sectors right at least. From what I can see, you basically want a option to tell the city to automatically tear down a for example a research sector to build a energy sector in its spot and order it to build a specific specialization on turn 50 and then you come back on turn 60 after it's done doing everything you ordered it to in one click.
But then what would I do all day? Guy's gotta have a hobby...

Disappearing mods are by design and you can expect it if you read their description.
No man, they are not. In fact, there was a post saying exactly the opposite, and even the one built-in mod disappears. Look at this:

Stolen mods b.png

That is evolved 2. I had it since a crysalis. Then it promptly loses it:

Stolen mods a.png

And this happens to just about every mod on the unit. That is not supposed to happen. This is a glitch that they have never solved because it is a faulty way of making the unit. They have accidently let the game get to this point, and never solved this issue, or several others like it. They serious need to take a minute and finish the game.

Evolved Vitality 2 is... an "ability?" Like you use it in combat?

Ok. Then explain this:

Stolen mods c.png

4 MODS, not abilities. 2 survive:

Stolen mods d.png

Why them? What is the logic?

Those are not mods. If you want to see example of mods, check https://minionsart.github.io/aowp/Pages/Mods/AmazonMods.html
I would understand your complaint if Phasewalk Modulator mod didn't have description that it affects light units only and you put it on tier 1 quartzite which later would evolve to heavy unit and thus would lose the mod meaning you wasted cosmite. But it is not the case, you are losing nothing, Sirena is much better unit. It is still a bug of course, just a very small one.

Sirena? I will have to look into that. Is it a unit that benefits from resurgence?

Also, it is a construction modifier. Mod is my shorthand. It isn't an "ability" either, so diction is tricky here. That said, it ALSO loses actual "mods," like you said. Point is, it loses both, and for no good reason.

Do you mean Psionica? I couldn't find "sirena."

Edit:

I am pretty sure you do mean Psionica. And yes, that remora is pretty amazing. Very similar to the psy-fish, but they are much tougher and much slower. That unit would be AMAZING versus the Dvar. My god, you would blast through their shields, and they would have to get up to you to do their shield-bash or power-punch. That would be BAD for them.

Last edited:
Evolved Vitality 2 is... an "ability?" Like you use it in combat?

Ok. Then explain this:

View attachment 661753

4 MODS, not abilities. 2 survive:

View attachment 661754

Why them? What is the logic?

Uhm, neutral observer here. In the game the following terms are distinct.
1. Mods are the cosmite costing upgrades you may apply to units via unlocked tech, empire requisition relics etc. Mods have rules governing to what they can be applied(such as 'only Light units').
2. Abilities are things a unit can do in combat, anything from attacks, heals, buffs and debuffs etc. Some abilities are granted by mods(such as nanite injectors)
3. The remaining listed entries on a units card are either resistances, or whaf I would call Traits. These often have passive effects or are acquired by stuff like evolving (such as you point out) active strategic ops or are inherent(all acolytes count as Psynumbra units).

For this third category the evolving units have been updated several times in order to encourage players to pursue evolution. Was a dev diary about them a good while back. Not sure if evolution traits are intended to stack between all psifish tiers. Could be working as intended.

Not sure if evolution traits are intended to stack between all psifish tiers. Could be working as intended.

The issue with the Psifish Siren is that its an Elite unit while the Hunter is a Skirmisher. The "Well Built" property - that disappears during the evolution - is created through a (Basic) Advanced Engineering Guild, so it only affects non-Elite units. Thus the Siren cannot get it.

So it's not really a bug but just the way the properties work. A while ago there was a thread about exactly this issue where a dev explained it basically this way.

Reactions:
The only thing that doesn't make sense in my eyes is the evolved vitality. Does it say that 2 stacks are max? But then it should be kept at 2 stacks, instead of resetting....

The mods shouldn't work like that no matter what. If you evolve a unit with an armor bonus, it should keep it. Regardless of what it turns into, it should keep it, unless it is completely incompatible. The fact is, they have some sort of inconsistency behind the scenes that is preventing them from doing this automatically. It is clear they need a code solution, and they seem reluctant to do the work. Keeping half and losing half makes zero sense. Justifying it by saying "that isn't usually ____" doesn't do a lot of good for the game.

try using the word "tag" instead of "mod"

those are tags in the unit info panel, they aren't "mods" because that word refers to an entirely different mechanic

I believe the better way would be to ask the devs to let you keep the well built bonus taht was given to a skirmisher unit to be changed to a advanced's well built bonus when it evolves into siren because siren is a elite class.

Otherwise just change Siren from elite class to skirmisher then you'll get to keep the well built bonus.

Although if you ask me in the first place.. its super weird that psifishes even get well built at all. Well built strongly implies that the unit in question has been manufactured. When in fact, its a completely psionic life form from different dimension and only changes form by growing and evolving. It shouldn't get well built at all. XD

Reactions:
Although if you ask me in the first place.. its super weird that psifishes even get well built at all. Well built strongly implies that the unit in question has been manufactured. When in fact, its a completely psionic life form from different dimension and only changes form by growing and evolving. It shouldn't get well built at all. XD

"Well built" just means strapping and in good physical shape eg Chris Hemsworth is well built. Still a stretch for a psi fish but eh?

"Well built" just means strapping and in good physical shape eg Chris Hemsworth is well built. Still a stretch for a psi fish but eh?
Makes me want to photoshop a psifish and post it. What are the sexy characteristics of a flying blob with wings? Maybe a photo filter that makes it thinner? Or thicker? Oh the fun you can have...