CK3 causing my whole Macbook Pro to crash after about 5 minutes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Blangyman

Recruit
15 Badges
Mar 24, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
CK3 causing my whole Macbook Pro to crash

Game Version 1.0.3

macOS Catalina (Version 10.15.6)
Macbook Pro (Retina 13-inch 2015)
Processor - 2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory - 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics - Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Graphics - Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
This is the problem I'm afraid - Intel video systems are not supported hardware for this game on Mac. Unless you have another machine you can run on, OR have Apple Bootcamp installed (as some Intels are supported under Windows) please seek a refund from where you got the game.

Sorry about that!

I got the same problem and I got the refund. Not supporting intel graphics really restricts the amount of macs that the game runs on though, it leaves out all MBP 13 '' and most imacs, even 2020 ones. Seems like a weird decision to make a macport at all if it wont run on like 82% macs.

(82% is a made up number, I got no idea. Probably quite a high percentage though?)

The fact is Intels are simply slower and less capable than a proper GPU under any OS. And it affects Macs more because Apple's implementation and frankly support of openGL these days is poor.

Thats true. Macs aren't well suited gaming computers.

My point is that it's a weird commercial decision to make a mac-port that basically only works on high end 15'' and 16'' MBP and high end iMacs. That's like making an iOS app that crashes on every Iphone excluding Iphone 11 PRO. You cater to an already small market, but then decide to exclude most of it. Why bother at all then only to make most mac customers be frustrated with the high minimum requirements?

To be fair, I think it looks like a great game and I will pick it up again even with lower performance if you can solve the "turns my computer into a brick after five minutes" problem it has with intel GPU macs.

My point is that it's a weird commercial decision to make a mac-port that basically only works on high end 15'' and 16'' MBP and high end iMacs. That's like making an iOS app that crashes on every Iphone excluding Iphone 11 PRO. You cater to an already small market, but then decide to exclude most of it. Why bother at all then only to make most mac customers be frustrated with the high minimum requirements?
It's been the case for every game (PDS or PI) since our first Mac port CK2 .... the commercial decision is not between all Macs vs non-Intel Macs, but non-Intel Mac support vs no Mac support at all. We'd have to cripple the games too much to get acceptable performance on Intel Macs.

FYI the Mac market is < 5% of our sales, so I guess the extra effort to product a special low-res version for Intel Macs is not seen as being likely to produce a ROI.

I get that, thanks for elaborating! Even Apple is going away from intel gpus so there I no real future there either.

Other games like eu4, stellarius and ck2 “works” (albeit poorly) on intel macs. I would be happy with the performance in current build of ck3 that runs for like 30 minutes, if it wasn’t for the crashing and hard reset.