• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's ROI mean?

Return on Investment, if a church gives you +0.20 ducats a month, then it will take 5 months to get 1 ducat of value, but 500 months i.e. 41.67 years to break even on the initial cost of 100. This doesn't take into account inflation which decreases ROI, but several modifiers such as embracing the Renaissance can decrease total cost which improves ROI.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Return on Investment, if a church gives you +0.20 ducats a month, then it will take 5 months to get 1 ducat of value, but 500 months i.e. 41.67 years to break even on the initial cost of 100. This doesn't take into account inflation which decreases ROI, but several modifiers such as embracing the Renaissance can decrease total cost which improves ROI.
I understand return of investment, I just didn't know ROI mean't that, thanks though.

Reactions:
  • AI - Economy: Fixed bug causing AI to evaluate prio to pay back loans to zero if they had too many loans
  • AI will now build less coastal defence buildings
  • Can no longer bail out of excommunication war by paying indulgence

Nice. Keep it up!

Also: consider favors for gifting money to an ally with loans, let players capitalize on other ruler's gross financial mismanagement.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi, Johan. Can you fix the issue where AI won't join HRE?
Maybe you should say what the issue is. The bug that a lot of countries join the HRE was fixed in 1.30.2. Do you want that broken situation back? Now it seems to be back to how it was before 1.30. Occasionally a country joins if it is threatened by a big country outside the HRE.
Do you have a situation where the console command "mapmode aihre" shows that a country wants to join and it doesn't join despite fulfilling the conditions for joining(adjacency and the emperor has a high enough opinion)?

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • AI evaluation for Holy Order placement no longer gets locked in mana spending decision making
  • Fixed the too many tags mod ctd
  • AI - Economy: Fixed bug causing AI to evaluate prio to pay back loans to zero if they had too many loans
  • AI - Economy: AI now better on calculating ROI when comparing loans and buildings
  • Fixed so you now get gold when razing as a horde
  • Fixed issue where you can add more estates than you are supposed to
  • AI will now build less coastal defence buildings
  • Can no longer bail out of excommunication war by paying indulgence
  • Limited events to not trigger if it would result in more than 4 privileges

Available as "1.30.4_public_beta" on steam

What about the other buildings with bugged weights? Like shipyards and wharves?

Reactions:
I remember someone suggesting the coastal defences were a big part of the debt bug — is this update to the beta causing a tangible change to the constant debt crisis?

Maybe you should say what the issue is. The bug that a lot of countries join the HRE was fixed in 1.30.2. Do you want that broken situation back? Now it seems to be back to how it was before 1.30. Occasionally a country joins if it is threatened by a big country outside the HRE.
Do you have a situation where the console command "mapmode aihre" shows that a country wants to join and it doesn't join despite fulfilling the conditions for joining(adjacency and the emperor has a high enough opinion)?

I'm not the person you replied to, but yes, plenty of situations. In fact, have you or have anyone been able to reliably get any nation in the HRE diplomatically now?

Remove lucky nations in the next public beta and test to see if it's worth removal. I have seen nothing but complaint after complaint with these massive early buffs an AI nation gets that DO stack with ideas.

Reactions:
Update: 17 years later England has got rid of the debt while France has reduced it substantially and Castille has somewhat reduced it. Proggress?

EDIT: 23 more years, back to considerable debts again. Scratching head.

Last update. Skip to 1780... France got rid of the debt, England's bloated again to 5k+ has been like that for long, and Castille's is rampant, despite them being top 3 in development, provinces and armies, they are 10k+ in debt.

I mean, if they can live with that fine by me. Problem is countries in deep debt don't come to my aid in war so I've basically had useless allies all the time

Not that my rivals are peachy, Ottomans stands at 13k+ while affording a 580k men army with half being mercenaries

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Last update. Skipp to 1780... France got rid of the debt, England's bloated again to 5k+ has been like that for long, an Castille's is rampant, despite them being top 5 in development and top 3 in armies, they are 10k+ in debt.

I mean, if they can live with that fine by me. Problem is countries in deep debt don't come to my aid in war so I've basically had useless allies all the time

meanwhile your enemies AI allys will be in massive 10 thousand ducat debts and the game will go "Sure, fine, I'll join your war even though my economy is taking a fat beating and i'm allied to the player" .

:):):):)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I'm not the person you replied to, but yes, plenty of situations. In fact, have you or have anyone been able to reliably get any nation in the HRE diplomatically now?
Have you ever been able to make countries join before patch 1.30? I have almost never seen that in older patches.
I did some console testing when I first replied and countries which were green in the aihre mapmode immediately joined when they could. But it requires them to be threatened by a much stronger country outside the HRE(I think the tooltip in that mapmode says that the army strength of the joining country must be less than 10% of the army of the threatening country)

Have you ever been able to make countries join before patch 1.30? I have almost never seen that in older patches.
I did some console testing when I first replied and countries which were green in the aihre mapmode immediately joined when they could. But it requires them to be threatened by a much stronger country outside the HRE(I think the tooltip in that mapmode says that the army strength of the joining country must be less than 10% of the army of the threatening country)

Before 1.30, I've never tried to make countries diplomatically join, but I've occasionally had a few that joined. The most common (still rare) was Provence.

Post 1.30.2 (? forgot if it was .2 or .3 when they fixed nations spam joining), I've done lots of HRE playthroughs + some mapmode console testing, and never intentionally was able to get nations to join. I've definitely controlled for whether the nation that is threatening some nation is from HRE or not, so my conclusion was that some other factor had to be at play.

I think this patch has deffo helped with the debt problem (having more issues with great power allies joining wars when I DoW people ;).) But has anyone else noticed the AI dev pushing a lot more than usual? Its 1526 and there is a 36 dev moscow, 36 dev London, 36 dev Tabriz and a 38 dev Cairo among others. Not complaining about it just wondering whether it was a change in the beta?

Reactions:
Last update. Skip to 1780... France got rid of the debt, England's bloated again to 5k+ has been like that for long, and Castille's is rampant, despite them being top 3 in development, provinces and armies, they are 10k+ in debt.

Not that my rivals are peachy, Ottomans stands at 13k+ while affording a 580k men army with half being mercenaries

Yea same. At first I thought the beta was looking better, but it once again ended with my allies being 10k+ in debt, and hence not being "allies" because useless.

Can we maybe finally really fix this ffs?

Reactions:
I think this patch has deffo helped with the debt problem (having more issues with great power allies joining wars when I DoW people ;).) But has anyone else noticed the AI dev pushing a lot more than usual? Its 1526 and there is a 36 dev moscow, 36 dev London, 36 dev Tabriz and a 38 dev Cairo among others. Not complaining about it just wondering whether it was a change in the beta?

This could be responsible:

AI evaluation for Holy Order placement no longer gets locked in mana spending decision making

There might have been a conflict with the holy order decision making, preventing the AI from developing. But I am not 100% sure as I already asked if this was the case in this thread but did not get a response from one of the devs. In my experience the biggest difference in the AI development are not highly developed capitals (this also happened before) but that it develops with all types of monarch points (prior to 1.30.4 it almost never developed with dip) and that it develops provinces it did not develop before (For example the Mamluks always developed a lot in Cairo but never developed in Alexandria, this has changed in 1.30.4).

Reactions:
Absolutely. I'm in 1815 and for the whole campaign I've been finding uberdeveloped provinces all over. Almost every African nation had at least a 30+ Sometimes more by 1600, lots of them in Eastern Europe and central Asia, all of Korea was 25+ by 1700, and I found a 42 development one between Siberia and Kamchatka of all places, in one of the most remote provinces in the game.

Debt-wise, I just sent a gift to Castille for 5300 ducats to cover their debt and lo and behold they actually used the money to repay the loans. Still won't help crush the Ottomans bc they got tangled in another stupid war, but that's a different story.

Reactions: