• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Russia is rather balanced, if in a wrong way. Russia have a lot of АД but russian lands are TRASH. it is a wasteland,arctic and grain, with occasional fur and copper. So it rarely can sustain its FL.

There's really a ton of fur, copper and iron. Low development and less building slots on many province is an issue, but the trade goods are top notch.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There's really a ton of fur, copper and iron. Low development and less building slots on many province is an issue, but the trade goods are top notch.
Siberia is awful. Even stated. At best you will get trading in fur and some trade income but it is still awfully inadequate comared to Persian riches.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
Half of siberia have arctic climate modifier, with like 50% dev cost and bunch of penalties on top of that. When in reality climate in southern parts of siberia is very similar to continental US.

If anything streltsy button needs to be nerfed, 10% of ur force limit with absolutely no cost or limit on streltsy regiments. This is the most ridiculous government interaction in the game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Siberia is awful. Even stated. At best you will get trading in fur and some trade income but it is still awfully inadequate comared to Persian riches.

Siberia is great, because the low dev is a good thing, as it means you get tons of fur and iron manufactories for basically no GC cost. Once build up it's at least 100 monthly from trade and production, and even before that point you will get a sizeable trade income from it with little investment required. The artic provinces reduce the value a bit, but most of it isn't actually artic provinces so you can still build Manufactory + workshop. Plus the extra merchant.

And as Russia, you basically get it for free except for maybe a couple wars against the hordes. So it's not like going into Siberia prevent you from taking Persia in any way.

My impression is that stating is the wrong thing to do with Siberia.

TC it for extra merchants, instead.

The best is I think to state a few good states (especially those that get gems) so that they get the good produced modifier from the TC. It's not like it cost a lot of GC to state 3 devs land.

Reactions:
The Muscovites/Russians are horribly overpowered at the moment.

I think the difference in perspective is that in single player its impossible for Muscovy to fail unless you reduce it to literally 4 provinces or less. Playing as Novgorod, a horde or Lithuania (Muscovies historical rivals) its beyond absurd to think you are in the same category as them, let alone equals. Novgorod, a 15-20 regiment nation has a far harder time defeating Muscovy than a one province nation has defeating the Ottomans.

The Golden Horde, a nation that had Muscovy as its tributary 10 years before the start date will loose land in a 6 versus 1 war against them.

Every Muscovy neighbor east of Sweden and Poland will get eaten in the first 50 years, and the only reason Sweden and Poland don't is that the AI seems to be coded to avoid them, as a cheap fix to make the problem less noticeable. Having a indestructible yellow/green blob every single game makes that region tedious, boring, and strategically worthless, since your only choice east of the Holy Roman Empire is ally Russia or don't.

Meanwhile, multiplayer and min-max players look at Russia's national ideas, and say: "Revolutionary Protestant Timurid's has 135% discipline, Russia only has 130%. Russia is super weak, underpowered, needs a massive buff".

• 1Like
Reactions:
In my Serbia game I had a army like 3/4ths the size of Muscovy who was at 600 dev while I had 200 dev. They never answered the call for war or defense due to their 2 k debt and Denmark just took more and more of Russia without Muscovy doing anything to fight back since their units just stood there and didnt move.

Russia is always trash if it isn't in player hands.

Reason being their massive amount of maybe six lvl2 forts in 1820.

Move in, barrage, assault, move on. Peace out for 70% warscore six months after declaring war without going into combat once.

Bonus points if they've just been at war with Ming so it takes them three years just to get their troops back to Europe.

Russia is trash vs a human player. But so is every nation.

Ai vs ai, Russia is pretty strong. Even when Otto allies Novgorod, Russia just keeps rolling. It seems pretty rare that Russia has a poor showing.

edit: and I’ll add, aside from the occasional Mamluk opening gambit, Russia is the only ai that seems to have no hesitation in dowing Otto at any point in the game. They usually win.

(in current game, otto allied nov, so russia allied georgia. made me snicker)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I was checking around at what the AI was doing and for some reason in both of my games that went to about 1600 the Russian AI had 100% of its inland provinces running a (goods production) manufactory while none of the other AIs was doing this. I'm not sure what caused this, but Russia ended up way ahead in cashflow.

Dunno if it was a secret hot fix, but I’ve been having to delete manu’s to build statehouses. I’m seeing many more economic buildings in my current games.

Russia is exceptionally trash against a human player because it doesn't have more than a handful lvl2 forts, tends to have its armies in Asia, has a horrible economy that can be broken easily, can barely handle its revolts due to its size and can get split in two halves with <100% warscore without any option to pass through, allowing you to wait for them to declare, deny open borders and watch their nation get sieged down.

There is absolutely no way anyone could ever lose against Russia no matter its size and no matter your size. I could probably win a war as an OPM against them.

Ai vs ai, Russia is pretty strong. Even when Otto allies Novgorod, Russia just keeps rolling. It seems pretty rare that Russia has a poor showing.

That's because the AI is trash when it comes to estimating how war will go or what to take in a war.
I've rarely seen Russia not lose brutally in the first few months, maybe even the first 1-2 years, but because AI nations are going for 100% or nothing or some similar crap it gives Russia enough time to bring its troops over and act like an almost fully functional nation.

Once they 'turn it around' the enemy's length of war modifier is hilariously low and they manage to take a lot more than they should be able to even after barely getting 10% warscore.

This is not a strength of Russia, this is a very specific AI weakness which they introduced in 1.18 and haven't corrected since.

For AI vs AI balancing reasons.

Reactions:
Siberia is great, because the low dev is a good thing, as it means you get tons of fur and iron manufactories for basically no GC cost. Once build up it's at least 100 monthly from trade and production, and even before that point you will get a sizeable trade income from it with little investment required. The artic provinces reduce the value a bit, but most of it isn't actually artic provinces so you can still build Manufactory + workshop. Plus the extra merchant.

And as Russia, you basically get it for free except for maybe a couple wars against the hordes. So it's not like going into Siberia prevent you from taking Persia in any way.

The best is I think to state a few good states (especially those that get gems) so that they get the good produced modifier from the TC. It's not like it cost a lot of GC to state 3 devs land.
I agree with everything, except the last part which is bugged/was stealthchanged. You don't get extra goods produced anymore from having nearby TC provinces. At least I tested it in 1.30.1.

The fact all AIs are trash vs an human does not mean they are equally trash. Russia is the trashiest at dealing with a player. Their armies of 200k infantry and 0 artillery parked in Siberia and 5 level 2 forts at the border make every war against them a bit underwhelming lategame, while some nations offer a real challenge if you let them blob.

Russian problem is that Streltzy magically spawns later on ~100-150 infantry for no cost. This is absurd and serves only to prolong AI's suffering. Plus chonic AI's inability to manage its armies, constantly moving them to Siberia and back.

Reactions:
Half of siberia have arctic climate modifier, with like 50% dev cost and bunch of penalties on top of that. When in reality climate in southern parts of siberia is very similar to continental US.
Is Ekaterinburg still acrtic too? That makes little sense, atm it's the third Russian city population wise, one won't get that many people living there in the 'snows'. Back then it was obviously far less populated and ranked lower, but still hardly an actic non-developable village either.

Is Ekaterinburg still acrtic too? That makes little sense, atm it's the third Russian city population wise, one won't get that many people living there in the 'snows'. Back then it was obviously far less populated and ranked lower, but still hardly an actic non-developable village either.
Well...30C is 86F.
kH7UczN.png

Siberia as a whole is insane at the moment. You picked the weirdest season of history. It's breaking records every day. Not saying this should be arctic, but the temperature of today or yesterday does not prove much.

There are some extremes right now but back then it still had +19...+21C in summer and -12 in January - it was okay for a living. Even with final stages of Little ica Age it was more than habitable.

Reactions:
I agree with everything, except the last part which is bugged/was stealthchanged. You don't get extra goods produced anymore from having nearby TC provinces. At least I tested it in 1.30.1.

I just checked, and in non-TC province where you have a TC at least, you do :

TC good produced.jpg

Reactions:
Gentlemen, you forget that we are talking about Russia in general, which includes NIs, DHEs, religion, govenrnment reforms, missions and geographical position. Russia in SP is fine, but Russia in MP is terrifying, especially the one that beats PLC (90% probability) and then focuses on Far East. While Ottomans have a much stronger start, Russia is equally powerful in mid and late game.

• 1Like
Reactions: