Imperator: Rome Developer Diary - 1st of June 2020

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow! Thank you paradox so much for this update, I will be very happy to purchase the Epirus content pack and the possible DLC that will come with this. Imperator Rome is getting so much better!

• 3Like
Reactions:
It's still 5% per culture? Assuming there is still approx 6-7 cultures in the Italic group, fully integrating your own culture group as Rome would completely negate the mere 30% happiness for primary culture. Maybe it could be 1% or 2% instead so that it is still feasible to maintain a large, multicultural empire? There was plenty of opposition within Rome to the integration of the Italians, but I dont think they wanted to burn down Rome once the Italians were integrated... I think there are simply too many cultures in the game to warrant 5% per every culture: perhaps instead of integrated cultures from different groups "helping you rule," you could simply put a larger penalty on the first culture from a group, and then a significantly smaller penalty for other cultures within that group. ie -3% for first culture in gallic group, and then -.5% for every subsequent culture from that group. Thus integrating cultures in your own group would only be -.5%, with most opposition a player would face coming from the revamped senate instead of your people suddenly despising you for integrating their relatively similar brethren in a neighboring city. Of course though, these worries are contingent upon how much Base Happiness is increased to compensate (though my gut says it won't be enough)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Looking forward to this. Better unrest, more management, more impactful pops and cultures and a trading change that makes resources feel a bit better. Really looking forward to this! And glad to see the Epirus pack being updated and made available.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Very interesting update. Real good to see that you can set inividual rights for all cultures. I am looking forward to this. It looks like it will be fun to play around with.

Will granting privileges slow down the assimilation speed for that culture? Or depend on the privilege?

Will there also be a requirement to pass certain rights, or an x number of rights, before a culture can be integrated? So it will not just be a 'click this button to start integration', but more a process to get there? In addition to this, are all rights freely grantable, or will there be conditions on them?

I also saw a nice connection to the senate mechanic with the granting of privileges. Sounds good. Will the senate also be allowed to vote on the granting of privileges?

The only thing I am not enthousiastic about is the UI. It feels a bit cluncky and mechanical to me. A bit busy and not very immersive.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am starting to love this game! As many have said, in 1 year this will be a kick-ass game.

Reactions:
Having each culture you integrate give penalties practically ensures this will never be worthwhile if you plan to get big. It's the same problem that the new religion system has.
Roman Empire was integrating only some of its regions, Galia, Iberia, Dacia etc... Probably because it is somewhat costly

Reactions:
Wouldn't it make sense in some cases to be able accept entire culture groups? If I played a historical Rome game, wouldn't accepting all the Greek cultures be a nightmare? I don't think that the Romans particularly cared if a Greek was Macedonian, Italiote, Athenian, Epirote, et cetera. Didn't they revere all the Greeks? I'm fearing that there'll be a situation where, say, the Athenian and Italiote Greeks are respected and given rights, but the Thessalians and Achaeans face discrimination and are forced to learn Latin.

• 12Like
Reactions:
Can decisions be revoked? Like if you need money, revoke the tax exemption?

Also, it seems a bit silly to grant independence to gain happines from pops of a country that is no longer gonna be your own doesnt it? I thought it would increase happiness and harshly reducing pop output or something.

Also, does colonization decision do what I think it does? It would be cool if it actually moved pops from a random territory to another of that culture, highly speeding up assimilation in that province. Just an idea. Features are more fun when they are not just modifiers :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will it be possible to favoritise assimilation to an integrated culture rather than your main culture in certain area? For example, If I start as a Lepontic minor and become powerful enough to conquer southward toward rome, I may want to integrate etruscan culture. But then, I might also want the other italic cultures in my kingdom to assimilate to etruscan as it is an easier assimilation than toward Lepontic.

This is basicly something I used to do in Eu4, where I would usually promote one of each culture group to make conversion easier. I really liked that gameplay mechanic and I hope something similar comes in imperator rome!

I really enjoy your work guys! Keep it coming :)

• 6Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Having each culture you integrate give penalties practically ensures this will never be worthwhile if you plan to get big. It's the same problem that the new religion system has.

They addressed this by saying they've added more primary culture happiness modifiers to the game, so as time goes on you can integrate more and more without penalties.

Reactions:
It's still 5% per culture? Assuming there is still approx 6-7 cultures in the Italic group, fully integrating your own culture group as Rome would completely negate the mere 30% happiness for primary culture. Maybe it could be 1% or 2% instead so that it is still feasible to maintain a large, multicultural empire? There was plenty of opposition within Rome to the integration of the Italians, but I dont think they wanted to burn down Rome once the Italians were integrated... I think there are simply too many cultures in the game to warrant 5% per every culture: perhaps instead of integrated cultures from different groups "helping you rule," you could simply put a larger penalty on the first culture from a group, and then a significantly smaller penalty for other cultures within that group. ie -3% for first culture in gallic group, and then -.5% for every subsequent culture from that group. Thus integrating cultures in your own group would only be -.5%, with most opposition a player would face coming from the revamped senate instead of your people suddenly despising you for integrating their relatively similar brethren in a neighboring city. Of course though, these worries are contingent upon how much Base Happiness is increased to compensate (though my gut says it won't be enough)

I agree with you. I think there should be a lower penalty for same culture groups, like 1 or 2%.

Reactions:
I love this, but does it mean that we won't see cultural syncretism, so no actual cultural mixing? Because that was a very imporant thing in this timeperiod, both in the successor kingdoms and in Rome. If this is the case, will we at least get events for the most important of these cultures emerging?

Reactions:
Looks to be an awesome update! I may have missed it, but how will assimilation work with this integrated culture feature? Will integrating athenian greeks as rome, stop athenians to assimilate into romans, or only slow it down? And how will it work with other cultures; will they only assimilate into your primary culture, or into more similar integrated cultures (i.e macedonian into athenian) and how would this work within the same culture group? i.e would integrating two cultures in the same culture group have other cultures within this group assimilate into either of the two, the nearest? the culturally most similar?
And as other mentioned; how will it work with syncretic cultures such as graeco-pontic; will others be able to emerge, even un-historical ones?

The update is very promising, but offers so many questions :):):)

Reactions: