• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CKIII Dev Diary #27 - Cultures & Cultural Innovations

Greetings, dear friends, and welcome to the cultural dev diary! Today, we’re going to be going over some familiar mechanics from CK2, and, relatedly, our decidedly less familiar all-new tech system!

Cultures & Culture Groups
The basic structure of the cultural system will be fairly recognisable to many of you. Every county and character on the map has a culture, representing (usually) the majority demographic for that county or the preferred customs of that character. Most cultures are based around a language, but some focus more on dialect or specific bodies of tradition, and a few are even primarily just regional.

Every culture, in turn, belongs to a culture group. These are gatherings of several cultures that, whilst distinct from one another, are nevertheless closely related. Most often this is down to a shared root culture, but in a few cases cultures have entered the same group merely by cohabiting for a long period of time.

Characters who come from completely different cultures like each other less, with characters who come from different cultures within the same group taking a reduced penalty. Like CK2, this only matters within your realm, so you won’t get grumpy at your neighbour for being different unless you’re occasionally required to talk to the lad.

Cultural preferences carry over to the peasantry: if the lord who directly holds a particular county doesn’t share that county’s culture, then that county will take a hit to popular opinion (with the hit being smaller if they’re at least part of the same culture group).

Of course, as this is only the direct holder of a county, having a good friend who understands the local customs in charge of all these strange foreign peasants can be an excellent way to stave off peasant revolts...

But what about...
… Melting pots and culture splits? Still got ‘em! We’ve even got some fancy new scripted effects to make it easier than ever to add your own.

Culture conversion is also more easily accessible: per the council task dev diary, this is now a council task, performed by your steward. You can attempt to culture convert any county in your sub-realm, though without an excellent steward or certain types of faith, it’ll likely take a while. People seldom change their culture quickly or willingly.

Show us the good stuff!
Ahhhhhh, you want to see some maps? See how granular we’re getting with our cultural setup this time around? Well, maps I’ve got! How many new cultures can you pick out?

001.png

002.png

003.png

004.png

Cultural & Technology
In CK3, cultures mean a lot more than just a few points of opinion here and there. Cultures are now an integral part of our reworked system for technology, with eras, explicit innovations, and mechanics for tussling over the cultural heart of your people.

Innovations
Innovations are the very heart of CK3’s technological system. Each one represents a thorough proliferation of an idea, a legal practice, or a specific technology, taken to heart by any given culture, or still weird and foreign no matter its advantages. As the game progresses, cultures will slowly become more and more accustomed to the various innovations, until each innovation is thoroughly embraced and ubiquitous amongst the people of that culture. At that point, an innovation is considered “unlocked”, and its unique benefits are accessible to characters and counties of the unlocking culture.

005.png

Benefits for each innovation vary tremendously between them. Some unlock new and better forms of succession law, some give bonuses to growth or income, some allow access to specific Men-at-Arms, or even grant entirely new CBs. We have innovations for everything from battlements to bombards, from coinage to cranes, and wootz steel to wierdijks!

Innovations broadly fall into one of three categories: military, civic, and special (a.k.a, "Cultural and Regional"), each grouped together in the interface.

Military and civic innovations typically cover what you might expect (martial and non-martial matters, respectively). All cultures can, eventually, acquire all military and civic innovations.

Special innovations behave a bit differently. A few are unlocked via special decisions and can only be acquired by taking those decisions, whilst some are cultural, requiring you to belong to a specific culture or culture group, but most are regional innovations.

006.png

Regional innovations require you to either have at least a certain number of counties within a specific area to unlock, or else to have a certain percentage of your culture’s total counties within that area. They represent concepts and technologies that were specific to certain areas historically, rather than spreading across large areas of the globe, but which could very easily have been developed by any culture moving into that area.

Needless to say, innovations, the bonuses they provide, and the mechanics they unlock are all fully scriptable and can be modded with ease.

But how do I *unlock* an innovation?
All innovations have a small chance to progress towards being unlocked per month, affected by a few factors, with the most telling one being average development of the sum counties a culture holds. A culture that spreads recklessly will have naturally slower growth than one that exists in concentrated pockets of high development.

The major ways generation progress towards unlocking innovations are setting fascinations and exposure. Each of these affect only a single innovation at a time, though both happen simultaneously.

Exposure is a natural process, occurring when your culture has counties that border another culture with a specific innovation. The more you have in common (culture group, religion, and so on) with that other culture, and the more of its counties your culture borders, the faster you’ll unlock that innovation.

007.png

Fascination, by contrast, is an entirely character-driven process, reflecting the drive of powerful leaders to introduce new concepts and technologies (be they original or imported) to their people. Where exposure is selected randomly from suitable innovations, fascination is deliberately selected by a specific character.

Who gets to pick? Why, the cultural head.

008.png

Any culture with at least one landed ruler somewhere has a cultural head, who then has complete control over which fascination is selected from available innovations. The cultural head always shares the culture they are the head of, and is the character with the most counties of that culture within their sub-realm in the world.

As you can imagine, the size of the culture makes a difference in how easy it is to become (and stay) cultural head: there are many more Andalusian counties than there are, say, Cornish ones.

An important factor in unlocking innovations via fascination is the learning skill of the cultural head. An unlearned cultural head doesn’t do much to bring new ideas and technologies to their people, but an erudite scholar knows who to invite to court, how to phrase ideas in a way the peasants will accept, and how to get the nobility to see the benefit of embracing a foreign concept!

Eras
You might be thinking that this sounds a little bit disorganised. What stops me, say, unlocking bombards in the 900s and blowing my enemies away with oversized canons for the next five hundred years?

The answer to that is eras.

009.png

In CK3, all innovations are organised into one of four eras, before being categorised into military, civic, or special. In order to begin unlocking innovations from an era, you need to have actually reached that era.

If an innovation belongs to the Tribal Era, no problem. All cultures start with the tribal era reached, and many primarily-feudal cultures will start with most (if not all) of its innovations unlocked, especially in 1066.

For the eras beyond that (the Early Medieval, High Medieval, and Late Medieval), you need to meet two criteria. The date must be at least an appropriate minimum year (e.g., the high medieval period cannot start before 1050 AD), and you must have at least 50% of the preceding era’s innovations unlocked. Further, if your cultural head is tribal, you will be unable to progress to the next era until you obtain a non-tribal cultural head. Cultures that have just left the Tribal Era will unlock innovations faster for a time, allowing them to catch up a little as medieval social and legal structures begin sweeping their lands.

Eras therefore let us gate technologies and features in stages, so that cultures which thrived in later centuries can still use their special bonuses, units, and features, but don’t get them too anachronistically.

Aaaand that about wraps it up for cultures and technology! I’ll be around the thread to answer questions for the next couple of hours, but otherwise, we’ll see you next week!

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    1,1 MB · Views: 0
  • 002.png
    002.png
  • 003.png
    003.png
  • 004.png
    004.png
    1,2 MB · Views: 0
  • 164Like
  • 72Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
That is one of the best dev diary. And I also have a question. So if our cultural leader was raised in a totally foreign region (e.g. We are in Jeruselam but he was raised in France), can he be fascinated by their technology and try to bring them? Or can we as a leader of culture learn something on Hajj or from someone who was a mercenary captain?

Even the leader of culture can arrange a trip to see different cultures, or maybe a commander or a traveler (Marco Polo) we can send

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Why there is culture Cornish and Aragonese for 1-3 provinces and there is no Sorbian culture for much more provinces in South Połabia region?
Also, why Polabians have South Pomerania? You need to fix it, add Sorbian culture instead of Polabian culture in south Polabia and change culture for south Pomerania region to Pomeranian.
Sorbian culture is totally different from Polabian. If you making difference between Aragonese and Catalan, you need also make a difference there.

I suspect there's more research material for Western Europe, thanks to the Carolingians, Andalusians, and people like Alfred the Great, and their various private renaissances. Also, native English speakers are Paradox's main demographic, and they tend to be more familiar/interested in Western Europe, so it makes sense to give those regions more flavor. Believe me, I'm just as annoyed by the absence of Carantanian culture - and that culture is the basis of a modern nation state.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Very nice changes. However, is "Gaelic" a correct term for proto-Scottish? I mean, Irish are also Gaelic. I suppose that "Gaelic" represents the Irish who settled in Scotland (Dal Riata). Maybe Irish split from Gaelic?

It's probably not the best, but Gaelic (on its own) is commonly used to refer to the Godelic language spoken in Scotland. Irish is what native Irish speakers call the language indigenous to Ireland. You sometimes hear Irish Gaelic or Scottish (Scots) Gaelic, but these are superfluous.

Reactions:
What happens with diaspora cultures that have characters, but no counties? For example, will Jewish cultures just be stuck at tribal or will they get some bonus in place of average development?

• 2Like
Reactions:
There is more issues than that, like why would you change into a worse Culture if your old Culture have alot of good unique stuff. Like if Norse is better than the Scandinavian cultures, why would somebody want to change into these cultures?
There are many reasons to change to a less advanced culture.
1. Maybe that culture comprises something like 75% of your counties (after a prepared invasion, or something similar), and the amount of rebels from unhappy peasants are enough to cause you to lose the game.
2. Maybe that culture has good unique stuff that better suits your playstyle than your old culture (and they might not be unlocked yet).
3. Maybe you're unhappy with not being the cultural head, and want to develop a culture in the direction *you* want, rather than the one your emperor wants.
4. Maybe your liege is really unhappy with you and switching to his culture will make the difference between him plotting to revoke your title and being happy with you.
5. Maybe you are collecting different types of MaA (you get to keep any MaA that you had from your previous culture, you just can't train any new ones from your previous culture) and need that one type of MaA that is unique to the new culture you're converting to.

Reactions:
Character culture! And, well, sure! I don't think your vassals are likely to necessarily take that well, and the peasants will resent some uppity foreigner coming in and telling them that their traditions are bunkum (at least until you educate them till they think they're Greek too). Selling your local traditions down the line for technological advancement is, sadly, a bit of a human tradition, I'm afraid.

That's great, but how will you build new culture specific building/units in provinces where a culture hasn't embraced them yet. Let's say I'm Finnish and embraced Greek culture, will my Finnish provinces be able to train cataphracts?

Is it possible to control, maybe with a Hook, what a cultural leader gets fascinated by? Obviously, I'm talking about cultural leaders you don't control.

Also, can several cultural leaders belong to the same dynasty? I can see that leading to some interesting rivalries and subterfuge.

• 6Like
Reactions:
No Carantanian and no Frisian Culture. I paid a high price for the happiness over the Cumbrian Culture.

Also I would love if you were able to create your very own Melting Pot. Being able to pick the specific techs of two cultures. But only after some time (a few generations) and specific choices. (Come on I can dream about eternally raiding Berber-Nords)

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Since I cannot find anything about it: what about Volhynian, Ruthenian or other cultures that are bundled as "Russian"? Shouldn't Russian culture be a culture group encompassing smaller cultures but with an event enabling them to more or less merge?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Would be better if culture conversion (speed? ability?) depended on how far/close the region being converted is from other regions with the same culture. Would encourage people to convert things in regions close to said cultures rather than whatever they want.
Absolutely. There are a few "knobs" I think can be tweaked for better, more historical improvements. Distance is one. Similarity another. Certain advancements might speed the progress while religious and cultural differences might slow them.

I think, also a sort of "cultural prestige" (maybe directly based on tech) might cause different-cultured characters who share a faith with their ruler drift to a more prestigious culture. For example, Occitan nobles in France drifting to French rather than whole provinces. Also a ruler or class of nobles who do not share a culture with a region they are ruling, I'm imagining the d'Anjou family in Hungary either drifting to Hungarian or losing the ability to convert province cultures by remaining decidedly non-Hungarian.

Reactions:
Wow. These new maps look amazing. You are making a fantastic work.

One thing. As you create the "asturleonese" culture I believe you should do the same with Navarre and Aragon. Aragon kingdom arose from Navarre and in both kingoms, they spoke a romance language called "navarroaragonese" (in Navarre, it was spoken especially in the south, instead of castillian cultura you gave to this county. In the north, the most spoken language was clearly the Basque). This language also, was uses in both courts. You can learn more about this language en wikipedia.

So in the middle ages, I think South of Navarre had more in common with Aragon than with Castille. I would create a "navarroaragonese" (as the langueage) culture which would include the South of Navarre and all Aragon.

As you can see, I really love iberian medieval history :)

Thank you for making this game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hey, I was just about to write the exact same thing! :)
I think this small change would make the game quite a bit better. There are no "cultural heads" in the real world and thus they are a concept that is very hard (or even impossible) to rationalize. It might also confuse players that they cannot influence the research of their culture at all, because they have less (or the same number) of counties than some random other ruler. Weighting everyones fascination based on the percent of culture that they control (maybe even modified by development) would always give the player some influence on the current research and remove the weird concept of cultural heads.
I can't help but to agree. Although I very much like the new cultural-tech system, I feel like a tweak in this general sense could be useful. Instead of the Fascination mechanic only being available to specific characters (heads of culture), thereby creating a winner-takes-all system, you could give it to every (independent?) ruler, but in a smaller scale.

In other words, everyone gets to choose their Fascinations, each with their individual bonus to progress, which is in turn based on how much of that culture's development they control. And then, of course, you could give an extra bonus to the culture head. That way you don't punish anyone playing tall too much, while still retaining an incentive for competition.

• 2Like
Reactions:
In religion dev diaries was mentiones rule which make each county adopt random faith. Is there smth like that for cultures?
What if we have two rulers with same culture and same number of counties of that culture, who will be culture head? Char with bigger prestige?
If I have culture head as my vassal, can I influence his fastinations? For example, force him be fastinated by economical wonders?

I had really hoped for a more dynamic culture system where melting pots could be formed from essentially all combinations of cultures and not just those that are predetermined.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It seems like either you're always going to want to turn your tribal guy Arabic to get a leap up the tech tree, or the penalties in terms of revolts for being a wrong culture ruler will have to be tuned very high for this period.

Reactions:
Hi! Before the announcement of CK3 I was hoping fot a culture/tech based DLC for CK2 so this new system looks like a dream come true. I have a few questions, are there any non historical cultures in the game? Like restored roman culture, purely ficticious ones or the possbility to create custom cultures, maybe through some melting pot dynamics? Can technologies be traded or something similar? Say, a pact bewtween two rulers that speeds up the research of tech that one is missing but the other already has.

• 1Like
Reactions: