• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SBHR

Sergeant
10 Badges
May 14, 2015
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
FAQ
Q1 : in the Diplomacy window, in the influences triangle, there is a popup for each nation. The first information line in the popup is like (-0.19/+1.60) for instance. What does that mean, please?
A1 : the numbers indicate the NET drift, where a "-" in the vertical coordinate indicates drift toward the Allies, and a "+" indicates drift toward the bottom of the triangle (Commintern or Axis). A "-" in the horizontal coordinate indicates a drift toward the Commintern, and a "+" shows a drift toward the Axis. Normally, coordinates are given as Horizontal and then Vertical (H, V).
If you're playing Axis, you want both numbers positive, as Allies you want the second number negative, and as Commintern you want the first number negative.
Q3 : how can i use front planning in theatres windows?
A3 : it is not possible to create a front planning. Game defines them.
Q4 : I am playing Götterdämmerung scenario with UK, USA and Soviet Union. Quickly, around 21 june, i'v got big problems with ground troops supply in Normandy. Supply is coming from Caen Port. But it can't ship in a lot of supply. Troops need a lot of supply and i don't know how to bring more because with landing, of course, it can't come from land. I'm afraid that my western Normandy front won't be a success soon. What to do?
A4 : grabing another port and using transport airplanes for supply seem to be the best way to solve problems of supply in the start of this scenario.
A5 : base" refers to the sum of all of the individual provinces which supply manpower, plus any off-board manpower. That's modified by techs, minister traits, laws, events, and other factors to give you a final value. The "base" value is not subject to change, unless you gain or lose provinces with manpower; the final value can and will change frequently.

Last edited:
To my kownledge (which is limited in that part) the influences (drift) of the factions.

Thanks for responding.
In my example, (-0.19/+1.60) has two numbers. And there are 3 factions (allies, axis, comintern), aren't they?

That's also the reason why i don't understand this information.
More help, please?

The third may not influence the nation in question at all. Maybe.

In fact, in the popup, under this information line, there are details about each influence. Each 3 factions have influence (fortunately).
These (-0.19/+1.60) two numbers are very strange for me. No link with the influence number of each faction.

Help us!

So, while the graphic displays a triangle, the actual data is in a normal Cartesian plane, I think on a float between -2/2.

May you explain?

Normal graphs are squares (x,y etc) but the game shows a triangle and only uses the triangle area.

So these numbers would have no use if we can use triangle and each faction influence in the popup , wouldn't they?

So these numbers would have no use if we can use triangle and each faction influence in the popup , wouldn't they?

Correct.

The numbers indicate the NET drift, where a "-" in the vertical coordinate indicates drift toward the Allies, and a "+" indicates drift toward the bottom of the triangle (Commintern or Axis). A "-" in the horizontal coordinate indicates a drift toward the Commintern, and a "+" shows a drift toward the Axis. Normally, coordinates are given as Horizontal and then Vertical (H, V).

If you're playing Axis, you want both numbers positive, as Allies you want the second number negative, and as Commintern you want the first number negative.

The numbers indicate the NET drift, where a "-" in the vertical coordinate indicates drift toward the Allies, and a "+" indicates drift toward the bottom of the triangle (Commintern or Axis). A "-" in the horizontal coordinate indicates a drift toward the Commintern, and a "+" shows a drift toward the Axis. Normally, coordinates are given as Horizontal and then Vertical (H, V).

Thank you for this explanation.

Question 2 : i am playing easily multi games with LAN and Steam version (3 accounts). But it seems impossible to play multi with INTERNET. We tried with Wraith but never succeeded. Do you succeed in and how?

Last edited:
I only use LAN, and have never had much luck using internet.

Question 3 : how can i use front planning in theatres window?

Last edited:
Question 3 : how can i use front planning in theatres window?

Do you mean the "Battle plan window"?
That one is purely cosmetic.

If you want to delegate army and/or Army group movement and attack planning you have to hand over your armies/army goups to tha AI.
This is done via a small cicular grey button in the Unit in question e.g. the Army group for instance
--> just above the detach/attach to hierarchy button .

If you click it the unit is handed over to the AI and gets a green outliner.
All sub units which this unit commands are also handed over to the AI and get also a green outliner.
You cant move or command those units anymore directly but have to use strategic goals then unless you lift that AI handover again.

This is a bit hairy and needs a good experience with it before it should be done for whole theaters.
I could go into details here but this would be a wall of text and should be done in a seperate dedicated thread.
But I could do it if you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding.

That was a part of my question indeed.
Another part was : how are defined front plannings and who defines them (AI, player)?

Thanks for responding.

Another part was : how are defined front plannings and who defines them (AI, player)?

If you hand the units over to the AI you still have to tell it the objectives.
You do that by clicking with the right mouse button in enemy territory.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding.

This thread I linked to goes a little bit into detail about how to pass objectives to troops if you want the AI to handle the fighting and moving.
Link

EDIT: There is a certain uncertainity about how the AI goes about reaching objectives. The general consensus was to keep it as simple and stupid for it to succeed. Less is more. Rather let an army command one single objective than let a armygroup mulitple ones. And Never ever let a theater go AI controlled unless you have learned how t odo it proper.
It messes totally with all your neatly organised unit hierarchy and sends troops out of range of their HQs range which is bad since that will make them lose the commanders traits and bonuses.

A good way to learn how to give the command to the AI would be a rather small conflict zone. For example the polish war with Germany. What can be learned there would be very valueable for the next step France which can be quite difficult to manage properly by the AI.

Thanks for answer.

My last question was in fact : is there a front planning when there is a combat? Or can i define a front planning for AI before a fight starts (i'm not speaking about objectives)?