• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

roverS3

General
20 Badges
May 24, 2013
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
Mulburries were not a big success historically.
On 20 of june, one was destroyed by storm. And that after a lot of problems like sinking supplies. It may fit with the level 1 harbour and explains why Allied HQ decided to grab a deep water port.
I think the Level 1 harbour is fine as it forces you to grab a serious port to keep up the campaign, I only object to the total lack of supplies to begin with. I don't believe the allied forces in the area had entirely run out of supplies by the 20th of June, but in the game that's what's modelled. If they had given all the forces there about 5 days of supplies to start with it would have been closer to historical.

I think that the 0 supply at start does not mean no ability for allied troops. I checked that a bit and they are able to resist with honor even at this level of supply.
Yes, units still have some combat ability without supplies, but it's severely hampered (-50%), and casualties tend to be significantly higher. Basically it's as if they're fighting with bayonets, and using their immobilised vehicles as protection against incoming enemy fire.

There are US transport planes in London and some UK airborne troops in England. Possible to drop them with the supply benefit.
Yes, I think those transports and paratroopers were in reserve historically, so it does make some sense.

Not sure to make a complete AAR but peraphs i'll give some historical comparisons. The biggest problem is that the more you are far from the initial date of the scenario and the more you will get away from History of course because ennemies won't replay History (AI...). To make a complete replay of History, HOI III isn't the best after initial date. An old but good boardgame about battle of Normandy in solo mod seems to be the best way to illustrate what happened (no use for AAR there... books are better).
Do what you're comfortable with. I just think your approach is interesting and the results are worth being shared.
I think the annoying enemies not playing along is what would make such an endeavour interesting. To still try to recreate the historical campaign, and inevitably slowly drift away from the history, while still attempting to stay as close to it as possible. Then again, I can be a bit of a masochist when it comes to wrestling with HOI3... The thing is that, once you've sorted out the lack of supply problem, the 1944 scenario is a cakewalk for the Allies, especially if you control the units individually. Therefor some kind of restriction like having to broadly follow the historical road-map and timeline despite enemy action can make it much more interesting.

That's only a pity that it is now not possible to play multi by internet. I would dream to play a US/UK/SU against GER/JAP/IT with a partner on net.
Unlike @Wraith11B I'm not set up to play several nations at the same time, also my ocd with division names and my tendency to take time to ponder every move I make works against my playing multiplayer. That said, I'd love to see an AAR of such a multi-player game.

Unfortunately, HOI IV may be used for that but the level of the game isn't here yet.
Yes, I'm holding out until they announce HOI5 before I buy the complete edition with all of the DLCs... Sure HOI4 has some interesting features, but it's far from 'being there', as you say. Having seen how much better HOI3 TFH is when compared to the v1 vanilla game, I'm holding out and playing that.

As for your campaign, I'd suggest expanding the port in Cherbourg immediately and grabbing more ports, like Le Havre etc. Keep the supplies flowing!

Dr. Intolerance

Major
9 Badges
Dec 9, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II
I think the Level 1 harbour is fine as it forces you to grab a serious port to keep up the campaign, I only object to the total lack of supplies to begin with. I don't believe the allied forces in the area had entirely run out of supplies by the 20th of June, but in the game that's what's modelled. If they had given all the forces there about 5 days of supplies to start with it would have been closer to historical.

Yes, units still have some combat ability without supplies, but it's severely hampered (-50%), and casualties tend to be significantly higher. Basically it's as if they're fighting with bayonets, and using their immobilised vehicles as protection against incoming enemy fire.

Yes, I think those transports and paratroopers were in reserve historically, so it does make some sense.

Do what you're comfortable with. I just think your approach is interesting and the results are worth being shared.
I think the annoying enemies not playing along is what would make such an endeavour interesting. To still try to recreate the historical campaign, and inevitably slowly drift away from the history, while still attempting to stay as close to it as possible. Then again, I can be a bit of a masochist when it comes to wrestling with HOI3... The thing is that, once you've sorted out the lack of supply problem, the 1944 scenario is a cakewalk for the Allies, especially if you control the units individually. Therefor some kind of restriction like having to broadly follow the historical road-map and timeline despite enemy action can make it much more interesting.

Unlike @Wraith11B I'm not set up to play several nations at the same time, also my ocd with division names and my tendency to take time to ponder every move I make works against my playing multiplayer. That said, I'd love to see an AAR of such a multi-player game.

Yes, I'm holding out until they announce HOI5 before I buy the complete edition with all of the DLCs... Sure HOI4 has some interesting features, but it's far from 'being there', as you say. Having seen how much better HOI3 TFH is when compared to the v1 vanilla game, I'm holding out and playing that.

As for your campaign, I'd suggest expanding the port in Cherbourg immediately and grabbing more ports, like Le Havre etc. Keep the supplies flowing!
I can attest that HoIIV must be avoided. Its developers seem to have no common oversight on where they want the game to end up, probably the same fate as HoIIII. HoIII/AoD/DH were the pinnacle of the genre. HoIIV is too inconsistent, for example in where their ideas of how the game should graphically communicate to the player, Iwo Jima is about half the size of Taiwan represented on the map and the map lacks zoom buttons offering only mouse wheel or page up/down buttons on the keyboard. The most obvious point of things going very wrong is a huge fps drop when viewing troop movements because of the need to render fog of war across the globe. Any rts that cripples its fps because of fog of war should be abandoned like the Titanic.

Reactions:

Pugmak

Field Marshal
84 Badges
May 13, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • For The Glory
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
Thanks for responding.
In my example, (-0.19/+1.60) has two numbers. And there are 3 factions (allies, axis, comintern), aren't they?

That's also the reason why i don't understand this information.
More help, please?

Probably already answered but here's this just in case:

The two numbers represent left/right and up/down drift. If the numbers indicate a down and right drift, then that country is drifting toward the faction in the bottom right corner of the triangle, for example.

Reactions:

SBHR

Corporal
10 Badges
May 14, 2015
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
Question 5 : in the Manpower indicator, what mean "Base" and "Base value" in the popup regarding to the value beside icon?

Last edited:

Kovax

Field Marshal
10 Badges
May 13, 2003
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
"Base" refers to the sum of all of the individual provinces which supply manpower, plus any off-board manpower. That's modified by techs, minister traits, laws, events, and other factors to give you a final value. The "base" value is not subject to change, unless you gain or lose provinces with manpower; the final value can and will change frequently.

SBHR

Corporal
10 Badges
May 14, 2015
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
Thanks for responding.

For instance, in Gotterdammerung scenario, at start, UK values :
- Beside icone = 609,
- In popup Base=701.409 Base Value=+4.00 From Improved Technology=+90% School of Mass Combat=+5% Three-Year Draft=+25%

I understand that "beside icon" value of manpower (609) is a modification of "popup" base value (701.409) by improved techno... and others.
But what means Base Value (+4.00)?

Kovax

Field Marshal
10 Badges
May 13, 2003
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Not positive about the +4.00, because I don't recall seeing it in my own games. It probably relates to some country-specific bonus, or else manpower from a puppet. The +90% for Improved Technology seems normal, and the +5% Minister trait and +25% draft law modifier are both commonly available. I've also never gone beyond dabbling briefly with the alternate start scenarios, because most of them were never properly rebalanced for the later expansions: "Play at your own risk".

SBHR

Corporal
10 Badges
May 14, 2015
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
Question 6 : in original manual, they say there are nine levels of intelligence for provinces and five for military units. I do see level for provinces but where is the unit level?

Wraith11B

Call Kenny Loggins, you're in the DANGER ZONE...
39 Badges
Dec 5, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I don't think anyone's been really able to ever answer that question... I've actually never seen that (of course, I didn't start playing until SF because I was in Iraq).