• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ComplexIvano

Second Lieutenant
89 Badges
Aug 11, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III Referal
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
While I play the game will start flickering when I unpause the game, it does not happen when I start the match but after 60-80 years the game will start flicker and it grow worse as the time go on, I want to play the game but the flickers are hurting my eyes forcing me to stop playing. Is there any solution or I just need to wait for a patch? (Most common solutions like, up to date drivers, reinstall/repair game, changing video options don't work, already tried most of them)

Has this always happened ever since you've had the game? Or only since what change or update?

Does this affect EU4 or CK2 also?

If you save and exit the game, then start it up again and load that same save, does it start again immediately? Or do you need to wait 60-80 years in the game again?

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/Stellaris/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/Stellaris/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

Please report the temperatures of your CPU and video (GPU)
1/ before starting the game up and
2/ after say 30 minutes' play.
If your PC's vendor has given you no way of reading temperatures, install
SPEEDFAN http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Never happened before 2.2 or 2.3, i remember the problem wasn't here before 2.2 so it must happened in one of those patches since the problems was already here with 2.5.

No CK2 and EU4 run just fine.

Yes it happen right after I start the game both in the game map and in a random system i don't need to wait another 60-80 years.

Here you are the files.

Cpu 46.1 °C average, Gpu 44 °C average, before I started the game.

Cpu 52.2 °C average, Gpu 67 °C average, after a bit more then 30 minutes.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    97 KB · Views: 33
  • pdx_settings.txt
    352 bytes · Views: 6
  • settings.txt
    1,1 KB · Views: 7
  • system.log
    12,7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
In the game's launcher please set refreshRate=60 (or 59 if that is offered) , does that help?

If not, then enable Vsync in there, any better?

I have a Gsync monitor I don't want to make use of Vsync and I shouldn't even be needed, said that I set the refresh rate on the launcher to 59 and that seems to work, no more flickering, tomorrow i'm going to make a better test with higher refresh rate and report back, a shame I can't use the 144 rate, I wish for a patch sooner or later.

Next to test would be 72. You can see what rates are technically supported at the end of that system.log file you attached.

On the launcher 72 is not available so I used the closest one 85, no problems or near invisible flickering, then I set 100 as refresh rate and the flickering start to be stronger and more prominent, at 120 the problem was yet again here and stronger, the black flickering seem a normal occurrence for every refresh rate higher then 59/60 with different level of strenght, and it is worse as I choose a higher refresh rate.

After more test I found out a lot of screen tearing happen when the refresh rate is at 59/60, there is no right refresh rate T.T

85 seems to be the middle of the road where there are lees problems.

Last edited:
Screen tearing happen more as I reduce the refresh rate from 144 (the monitor native refresh rate).

Sorry, you are right, no 72 - how odd! I have that available on my GeForce 1060. I guess it is the monitor that's the difference, and perhaps Gsync.

144 (the monitor native refresh rate).
Not according to your dxdiag.txt:
Monitor Name: AOC AG271QG
Monitor Model: AG271QG
Monitor Id: AOC2713
Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (59.951Hz)

That's new to me I bought the monitor as a 165Hz as the specs says: https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/ag271qg/specs
Then I find out it was only 144 without overclocking the monitor, and I can't modify resolution or the refresh rate of the monitor from the monitor settings so i just thought It was the native mode, of course all the setting in the control panel are set to 144Hz, the game is playable right now even if there are still the same problems (but minimized).

I'm having this issue too, also on aoc monitor. Will try checking other refresh rates, but for now I wanted to say that flickering happens at the same rate as days change in the game - a flicker per day. It's best visible at lower game speed where you get a flicker per 2 seconds or so.

So it would look like the game is doing some wonky stuff

I would wager both. Something in the game does not go in hand with the way AOC monitor handles gsync. Possibly during day change something happens in game logic that makes gsync go bonkers?

Your guess is good as mine, I found no fix for the issue and most probably no fix will from paradox side for such edge case.

I just encountered this. The fact that this happened only on an AOC monitor should have alerted you to the fact that this has something to do with G-Sync. Turning that off fixes it.

You can do it only for Stellaris if you set G-Sync to only work in Fullscreen and set Stellaris to run in Borderless Windowed mode