• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the dissent only hurts troops fighting on foreign soil, not on their own, so if used to defend the homeland, maybe it’s not do bad. Also. By then, what do they have to lose?

1.11 also gets rid of this bug: auto addition of the same # of enemy reactors & rocket sites to one's build queue upon taking control of provinces with those improvements. Will check if that is listed.

I'd be surprised if there is a difference re dissent combat hit for national vs non-national province types. I haven't looked that closely at it. What they have to lose is to lose very much faster: lower IC production, lower TC, allocation of diminishing IC to reducing dissent rather than spending more on production, reinforcement, & supplies. As well as the combat hit.

Also if out of organisation, and using VoV on defence, strength(manpower) loss rate is extremely high.

Last edited:
I think the dissent only hurts troops fighting on foreign soil, not on their own, so if used to defend the homeland, maybe it’s not do bad.

No. Dissent applies everywhere.

Also. By then, what do they have to lose?

If retreat is possible, than it is possible to regain org and fight later. If however VoV is used, than this means that no org is left and the unit are not fighting, they are not doing any damage to the enemy, but just suffer. That is pretty meaningless most of the time. It is not something to be used on a big scale. Furthermore for large nations the dissent costs of VoV tends to be prohibitively high. 99,9% of the time you should not use VoV.

The one relevant exception is troops that cannot retreat, but can survive if using VoV because friendly troops are nearby to rescue them. The most relevant example are small amounts of garrisions. Another case is militia that needs to hold of an enemy till proper troops come to the rescue. Friendly troops coming to the rescue is required for VoV to be sensible. But the best case scenario is of course that you donnot have to use VoV in the first place.

The research timetable for development of rocket interceptors is the same in 1.11 as in AoD 1.08; 1941 & 1943.

No. Dissent applies everywhere.
As the manual confirms. IDR where I got the other interpretation, but I thought I saw it somewhere. Proably in a past post -- sometime.

A couple of other changes / improvements of 1.11. Don't think I've seen these in earlier patches.

The research percentage complete now totals up eg 5+5+5+5+10 so when the first 5 stage (used to be 20% complete) this is now lower presumably this will now show only 16.6% complete.

Not entirely sure of this (thought there may have been an example in my SP USA where this wasn't the case), but should now be able to fully program infrastructure increases up to the full 200% in the build queue in one step.

EDIT: 20 Jan. Discovered an odd thing with leaders gaining traits. A couple of times they got this meassage but it didn't state what skill they got & they didn't get anything.

Last edited:
Significant game play factors I note with version 1.11.

The AI USA hardly makes an invasion attempts; seems to prefer to use its air force, and waits for the human player to invade. So far in my GER SP game, the AI USA has only done one invasion attempt in the pacific & that was a 5 div paradrop on a single JAP pacific island.

In general the AI builds too large an airforce, so neglects its army and doesn't amphibious invade much. Because the AI isnt constrained by the number of close by airbases & sizes this gives the AI a significant advantage. But the game is won by taking provinces and a large air force doesn't do that. Is amphibious invasion now a lot slower than it used to be?

Given resource shortages, the human player has to prioritise infrastructure builds throughout the course of the war.

GER AI is constrained by severe rares & oil shortage so needs to continue conquests to avoid running out. All SOV has to do is survive about 1.5 years to end 42 (or even less) and the GER AI economy is ruined, therefore GER loses.

The AI USA hardly makes an invasion attempts; seems to prefer to use its air force, and waits for the human player to invade. So far in my GER SP game, the AI USA has only done one invasion attempt in the pacific & that was a 5 div paradrop on a single JAP pacific island.
A real disappointment, but is this significantly different from earlier patches?

In general the AI builds too large an airforce, so neglects its army and doesn't amphibious invade much. Because the AI isnt constrained by the number of close by airbases & sizes this gives the AI a significant advantage.
Explains why my Lutfwaffe gets torn up in all encounters with a full-strength USA.
But the game is won by taking provinces and a large air force doesn't do that.

Given resource shortages, the human player has to prioritise infrastructure builds throughout the course of the war.
Correct and correct!

GER AI is constrained by severe rares & oil shortage so needs to continue conquests to avoid running out. All SOV has to do is survive about 1.5 years to end 42 (or even less) and the GER AI economy is ruined, therefore GER loses.
Yep, but is that very different from actual circumstances?

Last edited:
One might have to go back quite a few patches to find the AI USA more active in seaborne invasions.

By slower amphibious invasion, I mean that after defeat of the opposition, it seems to take a much longer time to get ashore (but this might just be my impression from running mostly on very slow speed nowdays).

Decided to do an uninstall and reinstall - possibly my first one since installing AoD - as the game doesn't seem to want to launch.
It just goes into the list of background processes on task manager on Windows 10..
Nothing happens, it just sits there.
Fresh install of AoD with 1.11 patch on top.. Was working when I first installed 1.11 but not sure if one of these crappy Windows 10 updates has scuppered it..
Any thoughts?

Decided to do an uninstall and reinstall - possibly my first one since installing AoD - as the game doesn't seem to want to launch.
It just goes into the list of background processes on task manager on Windows 10..
Nothing happens, it just sits there.
Fresh install of AoD with 1.11 patch on top.. Was working when I first installed 1.11 but not sure if one of these crappy Windows 10 updates has scuppered it..
Any thoughts?
Did you try rebooting your computer? ^^
Did you install AoD to the same directory? Could be some leftovers from the previous install that didn't get uninstalled.
Also, is it the same both when starting the AoD.exe and the Launcher?

Yes, computer rebooted.
Yep, installed into same directory - registry clean and showing only one location..
Program just sits as a background process but nothing running in the task bar and no way to switch to the process that I can see..
Trying upgrading my graphics card drivers..

I've been on Windows 10 for quite some time now.. Direct Play has been enabled..
AoD WAS working perfectly fine for all previous versions and when I first copied the 1.11 files over my previous install , if worked fine too..
Then I went back to AoD a few days ago and found this issue, so I thought it might be worth a clean install.
I uninstalled and reinstalled and it didn't make any difference..
The only thing, that I know of, that's changed with my PC is maybe a few Windows 10 updates..
My install is a Gamersgate download (as mentioned, previously fine)..

Will try some of those steps, thanks....

OK. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling again.
This time I tried to run it without any patch (seems to be 1.02 when tested on working laptop).
It runs - well, it goes into 'Apps' in task manager, rather than background apps.
Black screen then it hangs/crashes. So can't confirm the initial version.
This is a Gamersgate install.. Previously perfectly fine..

1.10 is similar. Goes into the right section - 'Apps' - in task manager. However it crashes - 'not responding'.
1.11, when run goes straight into 'Background processes' and stays there. Nothing comes up on the screen at all and it doesn't run under 'Apps'.

Last edited:
Hi Cakes.
I'm very interested in helping you with your issue.
But there is no way to solve that without more information.

The simplest way is that you contact me through discord and we can look at it together.
https://discord.gg/KWdjde

Thanks, will do when I get some time..
I tried installing on my laptop - and that works fine - so it looks like the problem is with my desktop PC..
What the issue is, I have no idea.. :(o_O

Edit!
I should say that I disabled updates on my laptop - because Windows 10 updates, in general, suck. So it's not been updated (I have a separate virus scanner) since 2018..
Will try updating Windows 10 on the laptop and see if it breaks AoD..
The desktop is up to date..
The joys..

Edit..
Never mind.. Had a look through some other posts and found that it's the Nahimic service that was interfering with it.. Disabled/removed it and it worked immediately..

Last edited:

In general the AI builds too large an airforce, so neglects its army and doesn't amphibious invade much. Because the AI isnt constrained by the number of close by airbases & sizes this gives the AI a significant advantage. But the game is won by taking provinces and a large air force doesn't do that. Is amphibious invasion now a lot slower than it used to be?

100% in the money. I just played a German SP game and with ease steam rolled Moscow, Leningrad. Stalingrad, ect but the early 1942 had the HUGE problem with rares & oil. OUCH! Soviet peace doesn't help at all as the high rare provinces are still theirs.

Haha....I need to reconsider how to play the Nazis. :)