• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
After all this time, as a founder, I have mixed feelings. What do you think?

https://mw5mercs.com/

Check it out.

Yeah, I do too :/

I don't like pre-orders in general so I will most likely ignore it and buy the game when it launches instead. We will see though. Sometimes I have a bad habit of getting a little too excited and preordering things like that anyway.

The bonus content for MWO players is a nice touch. It's mildly disappointing that there isn't a bigger jump in MW5 content on the more expensive packs. However, that base pack seems like a solid value for MWO players that were going to buy MW5 anyway.

SWEET!

MW5.png

Very surprised and very satisfied with the unexpected MWO content. : )

Thank you @Marauder3D! :bow:

The bonus content for MWO players is a nice touch. It's mildly disappointing that there isn't a bigger jump in MW5 content on the more expensive packs. However, that base pack seems like a solid value for MWO players that were going to buy MW5 anyway.
Yea, since I don't play MWO, I don't find these pre-orders worth it. I probably won't have time for their beta either... so I'll wait...

But I will be buying MW5 one way or another!

That is so very, very tempting... I have played and enjoyed MWO and I have watched the trailers for MW5. That said, I am not sure I want to jump on this one just yet. The MWO rewards are nice, but not really compelling to me. If the Digital Tech Manual was available below the $120 level, I might go for that. Having the soundtrack would be nice.

I may just wait another three months and see where they are at then.

Good points and well reasoned Good @Nichino and @Jade_Rook! :bow:

Just a quick point for my fellow MWO Founders, the 30,000 MC for MWO is doubled to 60,000 MC if you use the Redeem Code from your Founders Account.

That too was an unexpected and very considerate Bonus for those who both founded MWO and pre-ordered MW5.

Well done PGI! :bow:

As a Legendary Founder of MWO, I'm probably still going to stay away from pre-ordering. "Mixed feelings" describe it rather well.

Probably just the Warrior level. I can't justify US$40 for the Tech Manual.

If I do break down and pre-order it, I'm thinking the Standard "Privateer" Pack for me. The MWO content isn't that appealing to me anymore since I don't play anymore. Looking at it from a MW5 perspective, I also can't really justify spending the extra for the camos, or the Tech Manual or the Desktop Pack.

I do like the Beta Access though (even if it is just a month early), so that would be the deciding factor for me.

I preordered, despite being against preorders in general. I knew I was going to get it anyways but there was another big factor for me. For all of PGI's mistakes they did Battletech a great service: They alone had the chutzpah to fight HG and in doing so freed the IP from their clutches. Yeah, I'll give them a preorder for that.

I'm considering pre-ordering despite my mixed feelings, for reasons stated here by others:
1. I'm definitely buying the game anyway, on release day at the latest.
2. PGI, as much as anyone else, is responsible for HG slinking off to their corner and sulking.
3. Free stuff is nice.

I guess the only question left is the backer level. Probably Privateer, not sure.

@Marauder3D and @Rørik Þrumsålr, another factor in your decision could be that BATTLETECH's Mech Data came from PGI's MWO. Plus HBS's Vehicle Data will be making their appearance in MW5.

Also, MW5 is set in 3015. If MW5 pre-orders reach the Mitchonian-level of Success, it is just possible that PGI may crank up the production of 3015-3025 Mech Data...

...Mech Data that just may find its way back to HBS and BATTLETECH.

I am just say'in...

: )

@Marauder3D and @Rørik Þrumsålr, another factor in your decision could be that BATTLETECH's Mech Data came from PGI's MWO. Plus HBS's Vehicle Data will be making their appearance in MW5.

Also, MW5 is set in 3015. If MW5 pre-orders reach the Mitchonian-level of Success, it is just possible that PGI may crank up the production of 3015-3025 Mech Data...

...Mech Data that just may find its way back to HBS and BATTLETECH.

I am just say'in...

: )
And there is another good reason!

Maybe it's my age speaking, but I just can't help but want to support any and all things Battletech....

And there is another good reason!

Maybe it's my age speaking, but I just can't help but want to support any and all things Battletech....

Well said. I want to support it as well. I'm really not playing MWO at all these days, so not sure if I can justify anything higher than the Privateer pack.

The YouTuber Kanajashi breaks down the MechWarrior 5:Mercs Pre-Order in the video below. I think it is a good thing to watch before deciding what pre-order tier might be right for you, or even if pre-ordering is worth it for you at all...

Also, I think it is important to pay attention at the @9:52 mark. At this part in the video he brings up a very good point about the refund policy. I think it's something to keep in mind if you pre-order the game, and are planning to unlock the pre-order bonuses for MWO.

Last edited:
I managed to find my MWO login, and yep it was a Founder account - still got 17500+ MC from back in 2012 too, pity it isn't saleable or tradeable to MW5. I didn't see this thread before polluting another, but re-iterating here that I'll go for this at launch as the preorder fluff holds no interest for me.

I was very unhappy when MW4 went down, and back then I had military deployments that took me out of the loop for a while. So I didn't find out about the group (I think it was MekTek?) that picked up the slack (and even added material) after MS abandoned it, until it was almost too late. I got to play a few games until they went dark also. So I was excited when I heard about MW5. But then I did a little research, and it looks like you won't be able to play against human opponents. Bots are okay, but they get old after a while, because they become predictable. I get it if they want to start out with human vs. bot at the time of initial release, because it's probably easier to address balancing issues if you don't have people constantly finding creative ways to unbalance things (I'm not even talking about hacks and cheating, just ways to optimize mechs and tactics that the designers didn't foresee) . But if there will never be a multiplayer option eventually, that would be disappointing. Has anyone heard anything about them planning to add multiplayer matchmaking in the future?

I was very unhappy when MW4 went down, and back then I had military deployments that took me out of the loop for a while. So I didn't find out about the group (I think it was MekTek?) that picked up the slack (and even added material) after MS abandoned it, until it was almost too late. I got to play a few games until they went dark also. So I was excited when I heard about MW5. But then I did a little research, and it looks like you won't be able to play against human opponents. Bots are okay, but they get old after a while, because they become predictable. I get it if they want to start out with human vs. bot at the time of initial release, because it's probably easier to address balancing issues if you don't have people constantly finding creative ways to unbalance things (I'm not even talking about hacks and cheating, just ways to optimize mechs and tactics that the designers didn't foresee) . But if there will never be a multiplayer option eventually, that would be disappointing. Has anyone heard anything about them planning to add multiplayer matchmaking in the future?

I am pretty sure that MW5:Mercs is intended to be the Single Player/Co-Op branch of the MechWarrior series, and MechWarrior: Online is going to continue to fulfill the Multiplayer function of the series.

I wouldn't have minded seeing multiplayer PvP in MW5:Mercs, but with the PvP focused MWO still being a big part of their business, I fully understand why they wouldn't want to step on the toes of their own offerings.

Overall I am glad that MW5:Mercs is the way it is. I am glad to be able to have a campaign driven single player minded MW game similar to the old MW4 and older games. I hope it does well and will see expansions like the games of old (like MW2:Ghost Bear, MW3:pirate Moon, MW4:Black Knight/Mercs).

I am pretty sure that MW5:Mercs is intended to be the Single Player/Co-Op branch of the MechWarrior series, and MechWarrior: Online is going to continue to fulfill the Multiplayer function of the series.

I wouldn't have minded seeing multiplayer PvP in MW5:Mercs, but with the PvP focused MWO still being a big part of their business, I fully understand why they wouldn't want to step on the toes of their own offerings.

Overall I am glad that MW5:Mercs is the way it is. I am glad to be able to have a campaign driven single player minded MW game similar to the old MW4 and older games. I hope it does well and will see expansions like the games of old (like MW2:Ghost Bear, MW3:pirate Moon, MW4:Black Knight/Mercs).
That is my understanding too. MW5 to scratch the Big and Stompy Solo (Coop) itch and MWO to scratch the Big and Stompy Multiplayer itch.

But while they have different engines, I would not be surprised if MWO (at some point) joined MW5 on the Unreal engine. As a matter of fact, I just may ask that question during the upcoming 16JAN PGI Q&A. : )