Planets with rare store tags (and a map you can edit)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HonorKnight

Colonel
53 Badges
Feb 22, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Magicka
First, a quick overview of how planets' stocks of rare items are calculated: In general, Black Markets are the best place to get the rarest 'Mech parts and weapons (this requires that you've paid the pirates for access in the random black market event). Research planets have a special niche in that they carry more rare "Upgrades" (i.e. everything other than 'Mechs and weapons). Star League planets carry somewhat of a mix of the Black Market and Research items (plus a tiny chance of seeing ER / Pulse / Gauss ammo and weapons not available anywhere else), if significantly less likely to have good stuff than in black markets. Lastly there are "Special" planets like faction headquarters and the like that have increased chances of rare weapons and 'Mech parts, with each faction having a different set of rares they're more likely to carry. Davion, Liao, and Marik each appear to have two such planets with faction-specific tables of rares even though only one is flagged as their headquarters. Also worth noting that the Restoration, Magistracy, and Taurian special planets don't use a faction rare 'Mech parts table like the others do, only the rare faction weapon table. And all of these stack, i.e. if two store tags each raise the chance of getting a particular rare 'Mech part, then a planet with both tags will have a higher chance still. Note that this is all based on mining the data out of the game's JSON files, I have no idea if this is accurate or if there are nuances to the store behavior that I'm overlooking.

So, decide what categories/tags you're interested in shopping at, then you want to find perhaps 2 planets in close proximity matching your criteria and bounce back and forth between them to refresh their stock until they sell you what you want.

And now for the visual aid:
kO7BVMY.png

This is just a fairly simple Google Sheets document, so if you have basic Excel skills you should be able to tweak it to your liking. Feel free to copy this Google Sheets data and change anything you like, republish it as your own, etc. You have my unconditional permission to reuse my BattleTech research however you like.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TN0FtTlXCkHNFlFP00JgK1Oyhcqmi9ruViAXytH8ANI/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Are the old "Mining / Battlefield / Manufacturing" tags still in play for things like Urbanmech availability? Or did that get overshadowed by the faction availability stuff?

Are the old "Mining / Battlefield / Manufacturing" tags still in play for things like Urbanmech availability? Or did that get overshadowed by the faction availability stuff?
Those tags don't do anything anymore, but some of the new store tags correlate perfectly to the planets that have some of those other tags (though the resulting loot tables are different). If you want Urbies, shop Liao and Black Market.

Fantastic!

Thank you sir.

So are the faction rare mech parts reflected in the normal store inventory or just the faction store?
An excellent question, but alas "Note that this is all based on mining the data out of the game's JSON files, I have no idea if this is accurate or if there are nuances to the store behavior that I'm overlooking."

I welcome any in-game testing to verify that behavior one way or the other, I can only tell you what the JSON files appear to say.

Made a map

This is very cool, is there an easy way to just get the names of the planets and a simple dot for each one?

Asking so I can print that out and use it for my Furypoint campaign XD.

My bit of paper is getting very battered.

An excellent question, but alas "Note that this is all based on mining the data out of the game's JSON files, I have no idea if this is accurate or if there are nuances to the store behavior that I'm overlooking."

I welcome any in-game testing to verify that behavior one way or the other, I can only tell you what the JSON files appear to say.

Looking at how you’ve arranged your data, I’m guessing those tags determine whether or not a planet has a black market or faction store.

This is very cool, is there an easy way to just get the names of the planets and a simple dot for each one?

Asking so I can print that out and use it for my Furypoint campaign XD.

My bit of paper is getting very battered.
I don't immediately have an easy way to get the names over them, I'll look into that, but here's a start for you:
zy8kVI8.png

"So much awesome" :D Thanks!

I literally thought about making such a map for career mode to track my movement.

May i ask if it is possible to display 2 numbers next to the stars/planets?

1. skullrating
2. traveltime from and to the planet!

i also saw while trying to set a course, that some systems are only used when marked as destination and not an interim planet. is the travelplot somewhere in these files? (like i want to go from A to D over B but it will plot the course over C.. something like that)

I have the offline version of http://www.battletechmap.com/ (don't bother clicking, it will 404) - if that's of any use? I could zip it up to Google Drive (not my work btw).

I literally thought about making such a map for career mode to track my movement.

1. skullrating

i also saw while trying to set a course, that some systems are only used when marked as destination and not an interim planet. is the travelplot somewhere in these files? (like i want to go from A to D over B but it will plot the course over C.. something like that)
Possible, sure, but I didn't originally extract that data so it would take more time than I'm willing to invest to get that info for each planet. My data and charts are totally open for others to edit, though

1. skullrating

totally agree - much awesome :)

And if anyone does produce a map with Freak's suggestions it'd be even better! :)

Thanks for this, all of you.

Quality data mining is a noble pursuit! :D