• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is anything remembered from antiquity (i.e. the Hellenistic world, Rome, ancient China)?

Just to be clear, how far into the future are we? The first post says that mankind left Earth 7200 years ago, so if mankind left in 2200 A.D. (going by when Stellaris begins), that would make the year 9400 A.D., but I might be wrong.

Has any Earth media survived (film, etc.)? On that note, what about Earth languages? Does anyone still study English like how we study Latin or ancient Greek today? And what about those languages; are they still studied at all?

Sorry for so many questions, I just find these scenarios in the distant future very interesting.

Thanks! You are doing a great job of explaining much of it and most questions I have had you've answered further into the story so for the time being I'm content to wait for the story to unfold. Keep up the great work! :)

Lore Interlude # 2 - Dating and more on the Memory of Earth
Is anything remembered from antiquity (i.e. the Hellenistic world, Rome, ancient China)?

Some. On some planets, more than others. In the second Empire, one of the four star nations that founded the League of Argoss that became the Second Empire was the Imperium Astrorum Romani - that is, the Empire of the Stars of the Romans (Roman Star Empire), which modeled itself off of Rome and spoke Neo-Latin as its local language (almost all Children of Earth are bilingual - Imperial Common and whatever the language spoken on their planet is - at this point, however, most local languages are pidgin hybrids of many human languages).

In terms of the broad picture, most worlds know the general idea, at least if you're a Historian or interested in Earth history - Sumeria, Egypt, Babylon, Assyria, Persia, Greece, Rome, "Dark Ages", etc. Same with China - dynasties and reunification and so on and so on. But we are talking over 7000 years ago, and so even more than people with Rome today, say, it's a question of 'how important is it?'. Some of the seminal works of history are still more or less intact - Livy, a large portion of Plato's work, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the Tao Te Ching, etc, although on some worlds various books and sources get muddled and mixed together (just as, for early Arab students of Ancient Greek philosophy, a lot of the philosophers got folded together into the person of Socrates or even Aristotle, when you read some of their accounts of it, before they got access to better sources)

During the Second Empire, a great effort was undertaken to collate a lot of the various accounts of Earth and its cultures from all the various worlds and try to weed out the obvious falsities, cross-referencing available information to try and get at the truth. Over time, that will happen, both on a private and public level, and a hypothetical Third Empire will presumably sponsor such efforts across the board to come at a collected truth, albeit how much a final accurate count will percolate throughout the population is an open question (how many historical mistruths do the average American still hold onto?)

Just to be clear, how far into the future are we? The first post says that mankind left Earth 7200 years ago, so if mankind left in 2200 A.D. (going by when Stellaris begins), that would make the year 9400 A.D., but I might be wrong.

More or less, it starts around 9400 AD. Except, not entirely. You'll notice that Stellaris uses a 360-day year of 12 30 day months? In-universe, I'm justifying that with Black Rose having had a 360-day year of 27.3 hour days, so the Imperial Standard Year (which the current dating relies on) is 5.242 days shorter than an Earth year (except that it isn't actually quite that number because the days are 3 hours and 18 minutes longer). so technically, the 7200 years number in the first post is wrong, but I didn't feel like doing and then explaining the math differential, even if it does probably add up to a lot. because then I need to figure out exactly when the authorities on Black Rose set things to 1, and so on - we know when the second Empire set things to 1, which is why the current year is 2200 when the game starts (and, spoiler alert, when a Third Empire is declared, that too will be year one of the new calendar, albeit still using the Imperial Standard year)

So call it 'roundabout' 9400 AD until/if I come up with a more definite timeline. In reality, it's probably at least a century later, AD-wise

Has any Earth media survived (film, etc.)? On that note, what about Earth languages? Does anyone still study English like how we study Latin or ancient Greek today? And what about those languages; are they still studied at all?

Some, but again, with thousands of years of art being created since, and recreated, you're more likely to find, say, the 47th reboot of Star Wars than the original version of the trilogy, or something like that. Or you'll have bits and pieces of stories that are threaded back together in ways that the original authors may not have envisioned, if they were even together at all (see: the Epic of Gilgamesh, Beowulf, etc). Think about Ancient Greece - before the mid 500 BC, we just have... very little. We have Homer and Hesoid and a few fragments of the Pre-Socratics preserved by Diogenes Laertius and Aristotle, and that's about it. There were obviously more stories told - some of which may have been preserved in some of the later works, but we don't know how much artistic license was involved (as we don't with whoever wrote down Homer and Hesoid, which assumes there was ever truly one 'Homer' or if 'Homer' is just the guy who finally wrote the Illiad and Odyssey down)

The influence of the art that came before can be found, but we're always still creating, and older and older stuff gets lost or forgotten. Hidden deep in the archives or electronic databanks of countless worlds are probably all kinds of texts, but moving through that many Zettabyes (and well beyond) of information is nearly impossible, even with assistance, and there's a lot of worlds. Plus, yes, actual books still exist, but the oldest ones are hidden in museums and private collections behind layers of preservation tech and so on.

English can be studied, more or less in the same vein as Greek and Latin, but honestly, English is more like Sumerian, really, in terms of how wide its study is. Imperial Standard was never just English, although English was pretty core to it.

As for Latin and Greek - depends on the world. Some have enough knowledge of those languages to make them studyable, others just know they existed.

Sorry for so many questions, I just find these scenarios in the distant future very interesting.

No, it's fine, ask away. In general, the answers are going to be 'it varies by planet', because Humanity are a fucking bunch of litterbugs and we've dropped our culture in pieces all over the freaking galaxy.

I'm sure that we'll find out soon, but how powerful are the aliens? Are there any major alien empires left after the Second Empire, or is the galaxy more or less dominated by the descendants of mankind?

I'm sure that we'll find out soon, but how powerful are the aliens? Are there any major alien empires left after the Second Empire, or is the galaxy more or less dominated by the descendants of mankind?
Not a clue.

All natural Empires that spawned are Children of Earth - humans and human derivatives. The Marauders will almost certainly be aliens, as will the Enclaves, though if a humanoid form gets rolled for any of them, I will construct some backstories for them that make them Children of Earth, probably.

All the standard AI empires are Children of Earth - as I said - but beyond that? Who knows? There will be primitives spawning, and some will either be uplifted or will tech themselves up, and of course, there's always that annoying Ketling Star Pack that likes to randomly show up.

For all we know, there could be vast alien empires beyond the reach of the current hyperlane network - in theory, there could be dozens of distinct, non-connective hyperlane networks crisscrossing the galaxy. 1300 stars is a tiny fraction of the number in our galaxy, after all.

But we're not likely to see powerful aliens apart from the marauder clans and any Hordes/successor states that arise from them.

Reading about the Durgonians and how they still have sheep and goat derivatives, I wonder; how much of Earth's biodiversity survived the planet's destruction? I figure most domesticated animals survived (pets, livestock, etc.), but there's also the question of wild animals; I'm sure there were plenty of extraterrestrial zoos with animals from Earth, but were there enough for the species (or descendants of the species) to survive?

Reading about the Durgonians and how they still have sheep and goat derivatives, I wonder; how much of Earth's biodiversity survived the planet's destruction? I figure most domesticated animals survived (pets, livestock, etc.), but there's also the question of wild animals; I'm sure there were plenty of extraterrestrial zoos with animals from Earth, but were there enough for the species (or descendants of the species) to survive?
Not really, no.

Non-domesticable species of Earth animals did not, as a rule, make it off in large enough numbers to survive. There might be a world out there where this or that species was transplanted in large enough numbers and survived, but it's not likely or common. A few notable exceptions are lobster and crab, which were transplanted to various worlds to eventually provide food on new worlds when they propagated, and bees, which were brought to assist in pollination (even modern farms use bees to help them, seriously).

The plant life of Earth survived much better, as seed and genetic material banks for earth planets were sent with each colony.

Narrative Interlude - The Faith of Politcs, the Politics of Faith
Assembly Building, Vanerra

"Financing this much military buildup is going to require selling off more and more of our other assets to purchase the necessary alloys. Especially if we hope to continue to expand into unclaimed space," Varro Qun pointed out. "Can we really afford to sell off our stockpiles? Especially as the government is running a deficit for the first time in over a century?"

"Can we afford not to do this? We need more warships, and we need more capacity to support those ships. By all accounts, both Moshtar and Kram'col have superior fleets to ours, at least somewhat. That means we need more vessels. But we also need more resources, and the only way to do that is to keep expanding. Energy can best be collected from stellar mining rather than planetside generators, at this point in time. We simply don't have the manpower to staff the larger, if more useful, mass generator facilities on planets," Thanie pointed out.

"Maybe," Varro agreed. "But we are running short of alloys, and consistently so. Can we really go to war like this?"

"We're hardly going to go to war yet. We have no clear path to Kram'col space, and the God-Empress has every intention of honoring her non-aggression pact with Moshtar. But we must be able to compete with them on equal footing, and that means we must expand and we must arm."

"So an arms race, then. Because historically, those have always protected the peace."

"Peace is the destination, but not the path we take to achieve it," Thanie pointed out. "Tychea teaches that the path to peace is paved with battle."

"Thanie, you're the least devout Supreme Chancellor in the history of the office," Varro snarked, his amusement rolling off of him. It tasted almost like sweet candy against her senses.

"I'm no atheist, Varro," Thanie pointed out. She didn't know a single Psilon that was - it was impossible to be. Not with the constant hum of the universe in the background, always at the edges of her senses, always at the edges of her consciousness. Not all Psilons, even on Vanerra, believed in Tychea, though those nonbelievers kept things quiet, as they rightly should.

I may have my doubts as to how much Tychea intervenes, how much Tychea specifically urges us in the now, but I have known Ashal all my life. She is Divine, she is a true descendant of the Goddess's avatar, of the first Psilon. Thanie was a skeptic and cynic of many things in her life, but of that, she was absolutely sure, and always would be.

"Aggressive expansion is the future," Thanie repeated the party line. And it had to be. After learning more details from Ashal in recent years as to what the High Mystery of the Oracles was warning about, of the dark threats that loomed on the horizon...

Kram'col and Moshtar... small fish in a massive ocean. We must band them together, by force or by choice. It was the only way to stand against the forces that threatened the Children of Earth. If the Oracles were to be believed, and she could only do it, based on the outer edges of their visions that had been shared with her...

"The Assembly will of course support the Empress's initiative, but they will want some assurances." She didn't even need her telepathy to take his meaning. There was a way things were done in the Empire, after all.

"Of course," Thanie agreed. "But first," She reached behind her desk and pulled out two rapiers, tossing one to Varro lightly. He caught it by the hilt handily, and Thanie raised her weapon.

"En garde!" She flicked her blade out towards him, and they clashed over her desk. Thanie took a leap, jumping over the desk in a bound and driving towards him again - once more their blades met.

"What language even is that, 'en garde'?" Varro asked as he stepped back to evade another one of her swings.

"Something from Old Earth. Spanish, I think? You know, the language they spoke on that peninsula shaped like a boot."

Imperial Palace, Vanerra

"I'm telling you to read the Moshtaran Holy Technical Manuals, and come up with ways that we can assure them that their Energons are blessed intermediaries sent by Tychea to protect them in their time to need," Ashal ordered the High Cleric.

Acin Nars had been old when High Explorator Ezo Caes had first left, and she was only getting older now. Withered, with skin that was tinged with grey and eyes that were going milky white, the damned woman just refused to die.

Conservative, stubborn and determined to hold her own against Imperial Authority, Acin was nothing but a headache for Ashal, even after she had constructed the Cathedral, designated the holy city and even founded the Alliance of Spiritual Redemption.

Almost every other major figure in the religious hierarchy was on her side. Acin, on the other hand, was stubborn and refusing to cooperate.
"You want me to lie as to Tychea's will for your political agenda!"

"It is Tychea's agenda." Ashal snapped, holding back, refusing to let her anger flow off of her, holding the emotion back. Acin was doing the same - it was unusual for Psilons to utterly close themselves off like this, never allowing any emotional flavor to spread, but for the two of them, it was par for the course.

You idiot!

"The Goddess desires Unity, and we can best achieve Unity with the Moshtarans if we convince them that their beliefs are one with Tychea's truth. And the fact of the matter is, it has always been true that the Manifest Will of the universe could take other forms, lesser, than Tychea herself."

"And you think - you think these 'Gods of Power and Energy' are among them?" Acin snapped, her tone flat, but the sarcasm was still dripping off the words.

"Of course not," Ashal replied coldly. "They're utter nonsense. No manifestation of the Will of the Universe would be bound so closely to technology rather than to the minds of living beings. But they don't need to know that. They believe in their Energons, no less fiercely than the Cult of the Dead Carpenter believes in their god." The Cult of the Dead Carpenter - known by many names - went all the way back to Old Earth, well before space. Even on Vanerra, it had once been a faith, though none of its worshippers remained. But it was one of the bigger religions in the Second Empire, in all its myriad forms, and reports suggested those Kram'col Durgon who were religious also followed some variation on that faith.

"I will not lie as to the goddess's will."

"The Goddess's will is not in dispute - she wills us to bring Unity to the Moshtarans under my leadership, you know that well. Or do you deny our Divine Mission?"

"I deny whether or not you truly know the best way to achieve it, Empress," Acin spat the words. "You are merely mortal, whatever your divine heritage."

"Your treading dangerously close to treason and heresy, High Cleric."

"And what are you going to do about it? There are never any records of our meetings, and I am the one person on this planet you cannot summarily arrest."

"I could always have you killed."

"But you won't. You'll think you can wait me out, and you will. I will die before you, of that I have no doubt. You will see to it one of your cronies replaces me. But you will never claim my soul, Ashal."

"For me to claim your soul, you'd have to have one. I'm not entirely convinced you do." Ashal countered. "Get out."

"With pleasure."

Is Christianity only remembered as the "Cult of the Dead Carpenter", or is it just called that due to a lack of knowledge of the religion by the Vanerrans?
That's the formal name they know it as on Vanerra, but they also know the name Christianity.

The name the Cult of the Dead Carpenter was originally used back in the Second Empire by the Church of Artea as a dismissive insult for Christianity, and the name has stuck with most non-peoples of the book (that is to say, Jews and Muslims and their offshoots don't tend to use the insult either)

Would somebody rid the Empress of that troublesome priest! ;) For the sake of unity, some... artistic interpretation of scripture could surely be utilised?

I did the math, and a Black Rose Year (and thus an Imperial Standard Year) is just under 64,000 minutes or 1,062.192 Hours or 44.258 Earth Days longer than an Earth year, thanks to the longer Black Rose Day. which means it isn't past 9400 AD, but earlier than 9400 AD. Albeit by how much I don't know, since there's more timeline to sort out there.

Not really, no.

Non-domesticable species of Earth animals did not, as a rule, make it off in large enough numbers to survive. There might be a world out there where this or that species was transplanted in large enough numbers and survived, but it's not likely or common. A few notable exceptions are lobster and crab, which were transplanted to various worlds to eventually provide food on new worlds when they propagated, and bees, which were brought to assist in pollination (even modern farms use bees to help them, seriously).

The plant life of Earth survived much better, as seed and genetic material banks for earth planets were sent with each colony.
How many domesticated species did survive? The main ones I can think of (and correct me if any of these are extinct) are dogs, cats, fish, and various birds and rodents for pets, and cattle, pigs, chickens/other fowl, goats, sheep, horses, and maybe camels and llamas for livestock (though probably not the last two; llamas though are used by some farmers to guard their other livestock, so there's that). Are there any other domesticates I'm missing?

I don't even know what species are domesticable, not in total offhand. Various pets and livestock and herd animals. If it has been successfully domesticated on a mass scale by humans before, it probably got taken to another world and remains somewhere domesticated.

The big hits are fowl, goats, sheep, horses, cattle, cats, dogs and pet rodents, probably.

Ashal can't get everything her own way it seems. I too am reminded of a certain history regarding turbulent priests

Chapter 3a: Dangerous Discovery (2220 - 2230)
Banner-Image.png

Chapter 3a: Dangerous Discovery (2220 - 2230)

On 5.18.2220, while scanning the Ucrichi system, Pell Impos and the Rinyhai found that they had a once in a thousand lifetimes opportunity - one of the many moons of Ucrichi III was on a terminal orbit, and had been for thousands of years, but was now, finally about to crash into the gas giant. This was a golden opportunity that could not be missed, for the next six months, details observations were made of the process, until it finally reached the end of its collapse and hit the gas giant around which it had orbited its entire existence.

Terminal-Orbit.png

Useful data regarding gravity and orbits was collected in the process and transmitted back to scientists on Vanerra.

Terminal-Orbit-Complete.png

Was the Nerdyn scanned relatively uninteresting systems on a path south, Pell took a gamble on the planet Ucrichi IV, which had massively unstable plate tectonics - but, with the proper application of energy, he thought it might be possible to stabilize the planet's surface.

Failed-Gamble-on-Ucrichi-IV.png

Unfortunately, despite the expenditure, he was not successful. This failure left Pell quite depressed for several months.

Location-of-Artisan-Station.png

Meanwhile, on 12.28.2221, as the year drew to a close, the Nerdyn entered the Rossier system and made a very interesting discovery.

Artisan-Station.png

"Detecting a station in the outer edges of the system, free-standing in space," the sensor officer reported. "And I'm picking up lifeforms. Holy Hock that's a lot of life forms."

"How many are we talking?"

"Five million or so. That's a really big station, but they've got to be crammed in there like Guoplar Fish."

"Put it on display," Ezo ordered, watching the holo display show a large station, covered in paint and festooned with what could be generously called artistic displays. They didn't look like much to him, but they seemed to be sculptures of various kinds, banners, careful arranged debris floating around the station in constructed patterns... fascinating stuff, really.

"I think that's an Artisan Troupe station," Terra mused, tapping her chin lightly. "What kind of life forms are you picking up on the planet?" That name sounded familiar to Ezo, but he couldn't place it offhand.

"Uhm... I'm picking up humans, elvhen... and something the computer is recognizing as Tagchunese?" the comms officer stumbled over the unfamiliar war.

"Tagchungese," Terra corrected lightly. "A nomadic people - their lost their homeworld to climatic shift some 10,000 years ago, and set out in space, traveling across the stars, studying the art of a thousand thousand worlds and cultures and peoples. During the First Empire, Emperor Victor III granted them formal status as a member of the Empire and paid for a series of stations across the galaxy for them to use as bases as they spread their art across the galaxy. Even the Second Empire left them alone, largely. The Artisan Troupe became multispecies in the First Empire, and has stayed that way ever since. Anyone who loves art and wants to spread it across the stars could join."

Terra furrowed her brow, "The Lay of the Dying Rose is An Artisan Troupe production from the middle years of the Second empire." Ezo was not a fan of the opera, but even he recognized that seminal work, detailing the last days of Black Rose before it was destroyed by a Colossus weapon. A dramatic tragedy, it had been made into a film twenty five years ago and had been quite a hit.

"Sounds like exactly the sort of people the God-Empress wants in the Empire. Get the Ambassador up here, and hail them."​

Artisan-Troupe.png

Contact with the Artisan Troupe was indeed peaceful, and quite joyous. After requesting copies of the most important cultural works the people of Vanerra had produced in their isolation, the Artisan troupe did the same, but with vastly more, offering many lost cultural treasures, including the almost legendary film The Princess Bride, a First Empire production based on some much earlier work. This copy was missing a five-minute portion from near the end, but it was still more complete than the thirty-four seconds left intact on Vanerra.

Regularized relations between the Troup and the Empire began shortly thereafter, and within a few years, famous writers, artists and musicians from across the empire were visiting the Artisan's station in the Rossier system, as Artisans of all races began to visit Vanerran space. Making the humans in the troupe the first humans to arrive on Vanerra since the Dark Years began.

The Nerdyn moved south into the Shurkal system from there, making contact with the Gaian Concordant on 8.10.2222, while in the Ardencil system, the Rinyhai found a habitable ocean world that could be settled for the Empire.

Gaian-Concordant-First-Contact.png

"The Gaian Concordant? So... you found Gaia?" Terrra laughed in utter joy. "Amazing. I would love to see it, even just from orbit. The historical value of your discovery..." She shook her head.

"I don't see any reason why you could not visit Gaia," the Elvhen station commander on the other end of the line said. "We would welcome all visitors, as long as they respect the sanctity of life and the basic laws of peace. Every prime Minister since we returned to the stars has agreed -- we will be friend to all, and enemy to none, as long as they seek to abide by that same principle. The wonderful and glorious diversity of life is there to be enjoyed by all."

"A beautiful sentiment," Terra agreed. "If I may ask, how did you find it? Gaia, I mean."

"It was five hundred and eighty five years ago, and so even Elvhen do not live that long," the commander chuckled. "Offhand, I'm not sure, but I know it required a lot of blind jumps off the hyperlane networks and interpreting obscure scraps of old sensor data. Our people were once refugees, fleeting the chaos that had gripped the galaxy after the fall of the Second Empire, but we found paradise, and we live in happiness. Such that any other world we've found since reconnecting to the hyperlanes has been... disappointing."

"I would imagine being raised on Gaia itself would be like that. We have found a smaller world created by the Gaia Seed Initiative in our own space. It is popularly understood to be that the Goddess Tychea brought it so close to us as a gift."

"That could well be," the commander agreed with a shrug. "I am not an especially religious Elv myself, but our people practice many faiths. Above all, though, we value peace, equality and diversity of life and opinion. Imagine the Prime Minister will have much to speak with to your Empress, but in the meantime, shall we exchange historical and cultural data?"

Terra turned to Ambassador Marto Kross, who nodded. "Go ahead."

Terra queued up the command in the computer system - it would take time to transfer the data, even at modern computer processing speeds.

"While we do that, tell us more about your people, Terra Aque. I admit, I never expected to see a Psilon in my lifetime. Tell me - what is it like to have psionic power, to be able to be so connected to the pulse of all life around you through your mind?" The commander's tone was awed, almost reverent.

Terra chuckled, "It probably isn't as transcendent an experience as you make it sound, but then, I'm used to it. I've had it all my life, after all. It is... a constant hum. More powerful on a planet, of course. Actually, I'll probably get a bit of a headache when I return to Vanerra." She blinked, realizing just now that it had been fourteen years since she'd last been on Vanerra. She'd been on planets, surveying and scanning, yes, but for fourteen years, her only company had been the rest of this crew.

Fourteen years. The time had rather flown, in many ways.

"Just from the adapting to the strength of it all," Terra clarified. "Normally it doesn't cause any pain. But it's very hard for Psilons to lie to eachother, given our connection."

"A valuable trait to have."

"Sometimes it's less appealing - just because we can't lie doesn't mean we don't sometimes. We are still just mortal, after all."

"But we always strive to better ourselves, to get past that. Conflict is in our nature, and yet we must always strive to live in harmony."

"That much is true," Terra agreed noncommittally. Peace was not the means to the end, whatever these Gaians may believe, that much Terra knew. History was paved in war, and so too would Unity require it.​

Contact with the Gains would only be peaceful, and lead to some useful domestic developments down the line.

On 3.26.2223, the Rinyhai was sucked into a dimensional pocket, vanishing from all sensors for several days - before returning... twice. In a strange otherspace, filled with alien vessels, countless - none from recognized species - half the crew had vanished from the Rinyhai... only to be on this other ship, that appeared to be a perfect copy of the Rinyhai.

Several months were taken checking over both ships and the crews of both quite carefully to ensure there was nothing wrong with any of them, but finally, the copy of the Rinyhai that did not have Pell on it was dubbed the ISS Doppelganger and Sapen Calto was appointed Expolorator of it.

However, on 5.12.2223, the free-range expansion of the Empire's scientists, and the hopeful future they all saw, was shattered in the Klegisc system: Jumping into a system with a station in it, Ezo ordered it hailed, as had now been done four times before by Vanerran explorers...

And the response was shuddering and terrifying. The hate and rage that radiated off the people on the station at the sight of a newly arriving vessel was so great, so severe, that the more psychically attuned and sensitive Psilons onboard the ISS Nerdyn felt it, even across the vast distance of space.

Purity-Order-first-Contact.png

"We are the Pureborn, the truest form of Humanity as it stood on Old Earth, before the corruption given to us by the mutated monsters of Black Rose, before the divergence of Humanity into false breeds and tainting by aliens and alien ideas. You are not truly of Earth, but bizzare and monstrous evolutionary dead ends. Your people will be destroyed - starting with your vessel. The Purity Order will cleanse you and your filth from the galaxy."

Missiles were fired from the station, and corvettes flew towards the Nerdyn - and Ezo, terrified out of his skin by the rage he was picking up, the sheer hate, the malice, the monstrous, psychotic xenocidal fury, ordered an emergency hyperjump back to the Forni system, ending the second voyage of the Nerdyn.

The discovery of the hateful, and hostile 'Purity Order' left all expansion closed off without going through the space of another power. Tgo that end, Pell Impos was ordered to pass through Gaian space, to the far side of it, where a nebula known as the Enem Shroud waited to be explored.

Pell-s-Route-to-Enem-Shroud.png

Along the way, he did in fact stop at Gaia itself for a few days, his crew taking a much earned vacation on paradise. Finally, however, on 7.9.2226, he reached the Shroud and began to explore the unexplored space, finding a Gaia world in the Ruenthsam system - too far to be something the Empire could hope to colonize, of course. What was interesting about Ruenthsam III was the ruined cities filled with skeletons, rusting structures and the detritus of a race that had once existed, and thousands of still functioning, if primitive, robots. There was no signs of war, conflict or destruction, and the robots seemed engaged in an effort to maintain and clean the world, even growing crops for a dead population.

Robots-on-a-Gaia-World-II.png

The skeletons were not Children of Earth, and this Gaia world did not appear to be the product of the Gaia Seed Initiative. After careful examination of the atmosphere, a hallucinogen was discovered that seemed to induce extremely powerful and pleasant dreams. A few intact computer systems were found and copied, but untranslated. Still, with most of the skeletons seeming to be posed in ways that suggested the people had just sat down or laid down, Pell and his team theorized that at some point, a hallucinogen had spread out throughout the world's atmosphere, and the people had just... enjoyed it. Neglecting food, water, and all life necessities - leaving their primitive robots behind to work on the same orders they'd been following, for an unclear amount of time.

The Nerdyn, still under Ezo's command, and now back in the Forni system, decided to emulate the Rinyhai and sailed through Moshtaran space to the far end, though he wouldn't reach unexplored space until near the end of 2230.

Moving deeper into the Enem Shroud, in mid 2228, the Rinyhai found a gateway in orbit around a black hole called the Uzhab Vortex. But it was strange. It was a first Empire Gateway, but it had been changed, altered... unlike the one they'd found in the Urcrichi system, it was still active, but it was locked, needing some sort of code or activation signal.

L-gate.png

Scans showed that sometime in the last five hundred years, the Gateway had been modified by swarms of nanites - a few inert ones were found on the gateway itself - of unknown origin, cutting the gate off from any semblance of the original network and instead linking it to somewhere else. Scans trying to identify its destination found a cluster of stars beyond the edges of the galaxy, dubbed the 'L-Cluster' that seemed to be the destination for the locked gate.

The question of what the Hock this gate was, and what had happened to it, was a mystery that Pell and his crew, nor the scientists back on Vanerra, could not answer. The data was stored and put aside - there seemed to be no way to open the gate, and consultation with Gaian and Moshtaran scientists showed they had no idea what the in the name of the Cursed Void this thing was either, or how to open it.

what-the-hell-is-an-L-gate.png

Finally, in 2229, an ancient lifeboat containing a reptillian alien was found and cracked open by the Rinyhai - and after some study, the body contained therein was found to be a member of the Kel-Azan, one of the races that early humanity had been friendly with - they had died out during the Skreeth Wars that occupied the early days of the long fall of the First Empire, fighting alongside the First Empire when the Skreeth, masters of biological warfare as they were, released tailored bioweapons against the Kel-Azan worlds, that even with the help of the First Empire, could not be cured or quarantined fast enoigh to save their people.

There was even a trace of the illness in the lifeboat, which was thankfully harmless to Psilons, though the vessel was subjected to a stringent disinfecting once the samples of the virus were stored for later study.

Kel-Azaan-Lifeboat.png

The last ten years had started with promise, but very little had been discovered, and the Empire was caring less and less about distant discoveries - the Purity Order stood prime as the threat to be concerned about, the thing the Empire had to pour all the resources Tychea could grant Vanerra.

Exploration was just... not of interest. Not really. Not anymore.

And now we have met the first of the two Fanatical Purifiers I forced spawned. these ones are actually more xenocidal than the other ones, technically speaking, as we will see.

On the one hand, having the Purity Order on my border is perfect - once I have the muscle to invade them, I can fight, fight and fight until exhaustion wears me out, without needing to worry about claims.

On the downside, they're aggressive, angry, powerful and deadly. And they are currently, as of 2230, 'superior' to me in fleet power.

A case of two steps forward almost, or at least two very positive first contact scenarios with the Artisans and the Gaians, but then the Order ... the Order spells trouble, even if they do represent a form of opportunity as well.

May Tychea grant strength to the fleet! Sounds like they're going to be in for a fight soon enough! Some interesting developments here. Hopefully the Gaian Concordant have the wisdom to join the Third Empire without... coercion, shall we say... I would suspect the Purity Order may be best wiped out, though if they could be convinced to join the Third Empire, they may make good cannon fodder...

Not sure there's any way to force fanatical purifiers to work for you. Can you force subjugate them?